Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

North American Publisher

I read in a newspaper article about the issue, they said they can't do that because some bureaucratic reason, especially the console version,

It some BS reason why they really did it, they say to protect their language or something,

Protect their language...yeah... more like their laziness. Learning english is easier than french. You just have to sit and put some time and effort, big deal.

Plus you have the actual game disk, you can install and re-install it and play it any time you want, no need to download anything, and without having to go to Valve and ask them if it's ok to play the game you already own.

You obviously haven't played any game made within the past year or two...

Considering that practically all publishers seem to be going in the direction of online activation, Steam is by far the lesser evil, especially considering that they don't limit how many times you can reinstall the game or whatever. They also let you back up the local files to a disc so that you can reinstall your games without having to download it all over again. And why is that all Steam haters ignore the fact that there is an offline mode for all their games?

Learning english is easier than french.

I think a lot of linguists out there would disagree with you :whistle:

I tried playing Half-Life II (the main single-player game) a few months back in this "offline" mode, I had my internet connection completely off (I unplugged my cable modem), just to see what would happen. I got an error because it couldn't establish an internet connection and it wouldn't let me play the game. So much for "offline" mode...

If it wasn't for the fact that I like Half-Life II so much (I've been a fan since the original Half-Life came out), I wouldn't even play the game. But I buy all of my games, including Half-Life II and any expansion packs for it (like Aftermath/Episode 1), in the full boxed versions only. :)

Steam is garbage, they make you log into their servers to get permission to play a game that you own. If I want to play a game, I'll play it any time I want, even if my internet connection is off. You shouldn't have to get permission to play any game you bought. That's why I only buy the full boxed version of games, and I want a real printed manual, not some .pdf junk. Plus you have the actual game disk, you can install and re-install it and play it any time you want, no need to download anything, and without having to go to Valve and ask them if it's ok to play the game you already own.

You do know this is really only for games related to Valve, and even then you can run in offline mode. I've stated in previous threads that I can run my Steam copy of ArmA without running steam via desktop shortcut. This also goes for several of my other non-valve games I have through Steam, the only exception so far is the Crysis series. Plus you might want to start getting used to pdf manuals, for quite a few software companies they are doing it that way, being it saves money.

The only set back with Steam is the lack of a hardcopy of your game, but you should of already considered this when buying through Steam.

I tried playing Half-Life II (the main single-player game) a few months back in this "offline" mode, I had my internet connection completely off (I unplugged my cable modem), just to see what would happen. I got an error because it couldn't establish an internet connection and it wouldn't let me play the game. So much for "offline" mode...

That's funny because I just ran HL2, DoD: Source, and CS in offline mode out of curiosity (granted I couldn't play a match in DoD or CS obviously but they ran with no errors). A friend of mine mentioned the same problem as you had to which I thought he was just inept, but it turns out that it has to do with the game updates. Something about a game not being completely updated before running in offline mode (even if your last update showed 100%, it's recommended to run the game in online mode to ensure it is fully updated).

Edited by Steakslim

Steam is garbage, they make you log into their servers to get permission to play a game that you own. If I want to play a game, I'll play it any time I want, even if my internet connection is off. You shouldn't have to get permission to play any game you bought. That's why I only buy the full boxed version of games, and I want a real printed manual, not some .pdf junk. Plus you have the actual game disk, you can install and re-install it and play it any time you want, no need to download anything, and without having to go to Valve and ask them if it's ok to play the game you already own.

You shouldn't trash something you have clearly never actually used. You don't have to get permission from Valve to play your Steam games. There is an offline mode, so your main argument that Steam is garbage is... well garbage. Having the disk is both a plus and a minus. Its nice to actually have something for your $40-50, but disks are easy to break or lose. With something like Steam, as long as you have the net... you have your game.

Not saying Steam is any better the retail or anything like that. Idealy we will see retail across the globe on launch day, as well as Steam. Just don't compleatly trash something you have either never used, or don't know anything about.

EDIT: If you have a problem running a game in offline mode, a very simple search on google will solve your issue.

Edited by stakex

You obviously haven't played any game made within the past year or two...

Considering that practically all publishers seem to be going in the direction of online activation, Steam is by far the lesser evil, especially considering that they don't limit how many times you can reinstall the game or whatever. They also let you back up the local files to a disc so that you can reinstall your games without having to download it all over again. And why is that all Steam haters ignore the fact that there is an offline mode for all their games?

Some of their games don't have an Offline LAN mode.

I never had any problems with it. No one else I know has ever had any problems. I wouldn't engage in vitriolic bad mouthing of something on the basis that you either don't know what you're doing, or just had bad luck with it. I'm not saying that Steam is perfect, and I myself will probably buy a hardcopy - as I do with all games that I intend to keep playing for a long time, but your reasons for hating Steam are pretty much unfounded.

At any rate, I think this "dead internet" thing is overhyped. I don't know where you live or what sort of net connection you have, but here in the second worst country in the EU for broadband, mine almost never cuts out...

When going into offline mode in Steam, it clearly states that any games not up-to-date will be unavailable. Anyways, I hope this game will be released at the same time across the world or if not, very closely to each other.

...At any rate, I think this "dead internet" thing is overhyped. I don't know where you live or what sort of net connection you have, but here in the second worst country in the EU for broadband, mine almost never cuts out...

How often do you try to play on a notebook while abroad/travelling/...?!

I think a lot of linguists out there would disagree with you :whistle:

I have never seen a game that requires a degree in English literature.

What about South America or Latin America?

Any publisher interested in launching the game around here?

what ever publisher they go with in the U.S really doesnt matter but DRM with limited install's will be the issue to buy or not , and for me personally it will be a no buy I've already been there and done that with EA and not again . But if they do it like ubisoft did with Farcry 2 and you can revoke your activation when uninstalling I could live with that.

When ArmA was released in Nov 06, our only choice was Sprocket. Then 7 months later we got the DVD with Atari.

We are hoping not to have 2 purchases needlessly again.

Sprocket dnlds issue and limitations were a nightmare.

Sprocket dnlds issue and limitations were a nightmare.
Sprocket = fail nehwayz

I'm still hoping for a service like Steam. Or preferably Steam itself.

Some of you guys really should get with the 21st Century.

I understand you wanting wanting the DVD to complete your Set of BIS games, that I "get".

But to start slagging off STEAM is lame.

STEAMS offline mode works fine if you follow the instructions. if you cant follow the instructions, that is hardly STEAMS fault yet no need to condemn in though just because you want to live in the 18th Century.

Heres hoping for a STEAM release in the UK.

Steams good..the only problem I have about it is that you need a connection to begin with to activate your game or you are S.O.L.

The thing to remember is that it is a digital distribution platform and those who are using it are likely to have:

A fast internet connection

Little/No usage cap

Obviously, those using it allready have an internet connection and are confident it is reliable.

As said, I dont get those who moan about STEAM because it needs an internet connection? Sure, if you dont allways have an internet connection, thats fine, but it is hardly accptable to slate the platform when it suits sooo many other people who do use it.

If it is by digital distribution then sure that is fully understandable.

I'm talking about going to the store buying a hard copy (recent was ETW) only to get read to install and learn you have to activate it through steam.

That's the only negative thing I have about it. If it is downloaded then yes, if hard copy then no.

i use steam for many games. but when it comes to arma2 i want to take no chances of activation issues. i bought my copy of arma online and it was basically a disc image that had to be activated once via cd key and something else. painless and once downloaded i could use it just like a cd. that was great and what i am looking for this time again.

the issues i have read about regarding updating arma via steam have ensured i will not buy arma via steam.

What issues? Steam version of ArmA updates the same as the retail. I bought it back in March and have had zero issues patching, updating, or adding mods. The steam version is basically ArmA 1.06 (edit I had stated earlier it was 1.09, I was wrong as I was guessing at the time) if I remember right, installed into the "common" folder for non Valve games instead of the Atari folder that the retail makes under Program Files. That's it. It has no ties to Steam after that other than it's in the Steam game's list, which you never have to open to run the game.

While it's not uncommon, I don't think ArmA auto updates via steam, so you have to go download the patches yourself as if you had the retail version. The patches auto detect the ArmA folder and update worry free. It's no better or worse than having the retail copy other than you do not have a disk. I cannot grasp how anyone had any trouble updating ArmA once they've downloaded and installed it via steam.

Wow, this is like the 3rd Steam related post I've made today in this forum. I don't want to come off as some crazy Steam fanboy, but mercy, it's not THAT bad, at least not currently unlike when it was first implemented, now that was a nightmare and my first impression was not a good one. Back then if you asked me about steam I would of told you it was digital representation of Hell.

Edited by Steakslim

Well if it all comes down to it, we can always get it from sprocketidea.com...or possibly even direct to drive. And if you are that hardcore dedicated on getting a boxed version, amazon.co.uk.