Sign in to follow this  
Sandmeister

first person view /head wobble in latest trailer

Hi all,

Ive only just discovered Arma 2 having been following OFP 2 for a while -

Arma 2 looks amazing - flat out amazing.

I was particularly taken by the first person/shaky cam moments of the latest trailer - Can anybody tell me if this is implemented in the game, or if its been added in purely to create a cinematic? It ads an unbelivable amount of realism to the sensation of running around an environment, taking cover, jumping over obstacles, going prone etc.

Its a feature a brought up on the OFP 2 forums a while back, hoping Codemasters might go to the effort of adding it in.

Please tell me it isnt going to be just another floating gun locked to you head kind of game smile_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

It was likely captured by TrackIR which is optional, really considering it for the release. Otherwise it generally is gun in typical FPS position, holding the Alt key usually alows you to detach view from your weapon and look around.

Shakycam = vomit

Does your view shake and wobble when you go jogging outside? Even if it does a bit, the full field of vision of the human optical system prevents disorientation.

Shakycam = vomit

Does your view shake and wobble when you go jogging outside? Even if it does a bit, the full field of vision of the human optical system prevents disorientation.

i agree!

Shakycam for movies = Big Vomit

Though the way BIS handle the 1st person movement is very well done and accomplished since OFP! I really like how the vision is simulated in 1st person view while we walk and run.

I wish the TrackIR usage on ArmA II videos are reduced so there won´t be disappointed people after the release saying "wtf the head movement is nothing like in the videos". Of course this argument is not valid if the TrackIR was not used on those videos wink_o.gif . Also it might be that i´m making too big fuzz about the head movement. tounge2.gif

Yes, it was purely conjecture on my part regarding the TrackIR, but I can't think of any other way they managed it.

Shaky cam great for making recorded Cinematics... bad for general gameplay.

I agree full on shaky cam is going to make people sick after a while. I just read up on track IR and it sounds very very cool.

It looks like it is perfect for breaking that sensation that your gun is stapled to you head, it losens things up, which for my money, goes a LONG way to make things more believable. Also very nice for when in vehicles obviously.

really cant wait to test it out smile_o.gif

Hi Sandmeister

It is Track IR.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

BIS with ArmA were the first FPS game developers to see it as a useful addition so, it added the capability. Up until then it had been used in mainly in Flight sims.

Once you start using it loosing it (forgetting to start ArmA without it) is like loosing a limb.

Basicly it gives you a similar capability to a VR helmet.

Here are some videos withit in use:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-videos.html

Have a look at the videos created by Dslyecxi there are other ArmA videos as well.

You can probably find more by searching youtube.

You can also use Track IR in the better flight sims such as Lockon.

Kind Regards walker

In my opinion the effect (if trackIr is used) is only good while you are inside vehicles, ie, driving, piloting, as cargo and maybe, maybe as gunner.

While in 1st person view and running and walking i prefer to use the ALT key + mouse to look around.

What.... that was TrackIr in the videos?huh.gif

So that means we are still stuck with the laggy camera.sqs ? Silly me, I thought that the effects during the scene where they breached into the hangar, were ingame  mad_o.gif  

(And it seems I am the only one who doesn't have a problem with the shaky style?)

that sucks big time  huh.gif

If it's TrackIR, it's very well done in the videos.

However, that cutscene you're talking about, Salvatore - that's definitely not TrackIR. More likely it's the animation with the head movements actually making the first person view move, unlike the animations we currently have in ArmA. It also looks like BIS has added motion blur to ArmA II, or just edited it to look that way, as when there are sudden sharp movements it always blurs. That jogging part is case and point.

it seems to me a mock up of the guy using DV carm to film the footage have a very shaky hand, notthing to worry about

I agree full on shaky cam is going to make people sick after a while. I just read up on track IR and it sounds very very cool.

It looks like it is perfect for breaking that sensation that your gun is stapled to you head, it losens things up, which for my money, goes a LONG way to make things more believable. Also very nice for when in vehicles obviously.

really cant wait to test it out smile_o.gif

Hey Sandmeister. I don't know if you are aware of it, but OFP1/ArmA and most probably ArmA2 features a free-aim system. That means that your arms (and therefore your gun) moves independently of the rest of your body. This effectively removes that feeling of a gun stapled to your shoulder. If you do a few youTube searches on OFP1 or ArmA you'll probably get the idea.

Note that not all of the ArmA videos feature this though, as BIS included an option to turn it off in ArmA.

In Gears of War, when you sprint does that make some people feel ill? I ask because there might be a way of doing it so that it is more natural. I like the idea of a shaky-cam, but obviously if it makes the game unplayable for some, it shouldn't be forced.

Quote[/b] ]In Gears of War, when you sprint does that make some people feel ill? I ask because there might be a way of doing it so that it is more natural. I like the idea of a shaky-cam, but obviously if it makes the game unplayable for some, it shouldn't be forced.

Agree

In Gears of War, when you sprint does that make some people feel ill? I ask because there might be a way of doing it so that it is more natural. I like the idea of a shaky-cam, but obviously if it makes the game unplayable for some, it shouldn't be forced.

I don't usually get ill from shaky-cam, but in Gears of War it's unplayable and distracting for me. crazy_o.gif

I think some of the effects we see are ingame trackir or no. Read somewhere that it is simulation of different chocks from the pressure of explotions, bullets flying past your head and so on.

Personally Im looking forward to the shaky view.

IIRC, there will be such a option for Head-Bop/wobble in the settings of A2.

Don't ask me where i heard that.... whistle.gificon_rolleyes.giftounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

+1 for the shaky-cam. Also seen I have a TrackIR4-Pro bring it on. biggrin_o.gif

i don't think your view shakes much while running but i think it may do when suppressed, if so it will make running through enemy fire that little bit more desparate.

Yeah, I suspect it was done using TrackIR.

For me, videos of TrackIR "head wobble" makes everything look much more 3-dimensional, even without 3-D glasses or a monitor.

For example, when I first saw TrackIR used with the Biplane... It made the cockpit look 100% real. And it must be so cool to be able to look over the sides.

Landing a Littlebird on a roof appears so much easier when you can lean out the door and look down at one of your skids.

You've come to the right place, Sandmeister. Welcome home.

Greetings,

I find shaky-cam very nice and I didnt feel like I would get disorientated or anything like that. Maybe try sprinting in real life before posting here. Jogging in the morning is one think and sprinting with assault rifle is another. Atleast try jogging. I really dont think its going to make anyone sick, cmon. I loved shaky-cam in GRAW but it was just going left and right a bit when you were sprinting. It wasnt moving enough in my opinion but it was a start. Shaky-camera is exacly what I am missing in ArmA1. I find whole scene in ArmAII closer to real life then any other game. In second video on official OFP2 site there are some scenes when player is running around CoD style, that is more conserning but we will see. Let BIS surprise us. I am sure its gonna be nice and it wont get annoying after a while. Afterall, they can patch things up if it is so terrible.

CU next week for NAPA smile_o.gif

One of OFP2's mistakes is that the spine of the soldier-player seems to be very stiff, resulting in a very abrupt up-down head-bob.

It is my understanding that the human spine and legs act as a spring/shock-absorber to smooth out the shock of each planted foot.

Also, OFP2's head-bob assumes that the eye is always looking outwards with a "thousand-yard stare". Humans don't do that. They look at something, often shifting their focus from one thing to another. What they are looking at is made to stay in the center of "the screen" with natural image stabilization, as it were. All of the movement happens in the periphery. How to train the game to know what you are looking at? Well, it could assume that whatever is in your cross-hairs is what you are looking at.

I don't really think the effect was obtained with TrackIR, I can't imagine someone shaking his head in order to achieve such effect... I rather believe it is ingame.

I also don't quite see what TrackIR has to do with head shake.