Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Stop whining until its confirmed that the game is buggy as hell. There 1-2 days left until we`ll see in game footages from the gold release, and then we can whine all we want, right.

Simple way to promote the Dev-Heaven bugtracker so the devs see it:

- Make a detailed report including RPT and DxDiag to the bugtracker.

- Report your problem in the troubleshooting thread.

- Include a link to your issue on the bugtracker.

:)

Anyway, the more I think about the report, the more it stinks. They got errors during the installation but went on to play it anyway? And then they go right ahead and write an article about bugs and missing files?

Let's consider this for a moment: install errors -> missing file popups... Maybe some files are actually missing because of the install errors. Why didn't they put 2 and 2 together and make the connection?

Thats why im thinking if anything its more a case of the actual install disc being corrupted rather than the game itself being the problem, and as i said before it wouldnt be the first time something like this has happened, many big named publishers and developers have had this type of thing happen.

most recent example was the lastest fallout3 DLC that was screwed up for us PC users

Simple way to promote the Dev-Heaven bugtracker so the devs see it:

- Make a detailed report including RPT and DxDiag to the bugtracker.

- Report your problem in the troubleshooting thread.

- Include a link to your issue on the bugtracker.

:)

Anyway, the more I think about the report, the more it stinks. They got errors during the installation but went on to play it anyway? And then they go right ahead and write an article about bugs and missing files?

Let's consider this for a moment: install errors -> missing file popups... Maybe some files are actually missing because of the install errors. Why didn't they put 2 and 2 together and make the connection?

I can think of ONE way to screw things up that way:

They installed the game on the same folder that holds the preview version, which may not be clear from any remaining files that are not deleted from the uninstaller(always happened), or they simply didnt bothered to uninstall the preview version by "assuming" the install will be in a different directory.

Anyway, i wish BI really install some kind of bug tracker for systematic bug reporting

Edited by 4 IN 1

I can't remember the PC game, but I know in the past the incorrect version of a game was sent to the replicator and then distributed. Thus, with that precident, in the rush to get this out in Germany, I wonder if a preview copy got sent in place of the GM?

I also agree that if this is the GM and there were errors during the install, then the install can't be trusted. The symptoms you would get would be missing file error messages while playing, which is what is being seen in part.

The problem with all of this is the shadow of ArmA1. Once biten....

i know what im talking about, im a QA tester for a big company.

Yet you're hysterically panicking on a gaming forum because 1 PC magazine publishes a clearly bashing post about our game without even contacting us first to check on the issues at hand?

To my knowledge nobody at BIS have been contacted by PCgames.de about these issues. Of all the devs in the world I would imagine we're just about the easiest to get hold of via PM/Email/Skype/MSN/ICQ.

Whether the issues are genuinely caused by the code they have been sent, or caused by some human error on their part, they should have contacted us first to try to investigate the cause, to publish such an excessively negative and inflammatory article without trying to resolve the issues directly first is IMO extremely unprofessional.

Yet you're hysterically panicking on a gaming forum because 1 PC magazine publishes a clearly bashing post about our game without even contacting us first to check on the issues at hand?

To my knowledge nobody at BIS have been contacted by PCgames.de about these issues. Of all the devs in the world I would imagine we're just about the easiest to get hold of via PM/Email/Skype/MSN/ICQ.

Whether the issues are genuinely caused by the code they have been sent, or caused by some human error on their part, they should have contacted us first to try to investigate the cause, to publish such an excessively negative and inflammatory article without trying to resolve the issues directly first is IMO extremely unprofessional.

Wait, then where did they get the beta patch form? if they have never contact you guys?:butbut:

Wait, then where did they get the beta patch form? if they have never contact you guys?:butbut:

No idea, maybe it was sent to everyone automatically? Same with the duplicate key crash letter of some time ago (mentioned previously about preview code).

You have to understand Placebo that the last major German games released during the last years (Gothic 3 + Addon and X3 + X3 Terran Conflict) where quite a buggy mess and since those titles the German community is reacting a bit over-sensitive regarding bugs and so on. There were many people who accused the big magazines of being paid by publishers etc and this lead to this bug warning behaviour.

I know BIS is not related to this (and I can't judge who made the mistake) but todays players expect magazines to warn them when a game is buggy.

The got the beta-patch from PeterGames/Morphicon. The clearly say so on the page.

excessively negative and inflammatory article
Relax. They are highlighting bugs and express their dissapointment with the release-version.

If the Morphicon-version really has the mentioned deficits you can already gear up for a storm of dissapointment from german customers. That´s life.

BTW, I can´t see where the article is inflammatory.

Pcgames.de has now reverted the article.

Interesting read here.

Alec: Yeah, ArmA 2 is off down a path no other dares tread. And it has to, because of that incredibly passionate community. There were community guys at the London briefing quoting the exact maximum altitude of various aircrafts.

Rock? :D

I couldn't give a crap about any bugs tbh. I'll buy the English version in whichever format lets me get it earliest. My gaming PC is growing cold and is feeling unloved until ArmA2 gets installed.

BTW, I can´t see where the article is inflammatory.

You mean other than instantly causing paranoia and panic on these forums leading to two "hysterical" closed threads and 4 pages of confused, bemused, concerned, bewildered, panicked posts in this thread in 90 minutes?

Hi all

I wonder if the general bugginess of German games is because they have to have castrated version of the games in order to conform to Merkels anti violence political correctness?

Having to radically alter a game to conform to national censorship rules probably causes lots of bugs.

I noticed as well as nutering games they intend to ban paintball in germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8067908.stm

Kind Regards walker

+2

mass hysteria :rolleyes:

+3 :)

News is unfortunate, but it still doesn't bother me in the slightest. Half those issues are trivial, the other half uncertain. So there may be a transition period with initial patches, which were already promised. I don't know many games that do not patch upon release.

For a reviewer it obviously matters more due to their task of reviewing, but for everyone else they can just wait for an update and play a different part in the meantime, which they stated works fine.

yet again, you try to hold your companies flag up high and blaim a serious pc magazine for a bad report instead of contacting your developers and ask them if the mentioned bugs are known already and if the germans get a release day patch. you should stop defending BIS and try to calm the people down by conversing with your company.

Pcgames.de has now withdrawn the article as demanded by the publisher. They say that they now are testing the beta-patch. Tomorrow a statement of Petergames and BIS is announced to comment this story.

edit: sry double post.

You mean other than instantly causing paranoia and panic on these forums leading to two "hysterical" closed threads and 4 pages of confused, bemused, concerned, bewildered, panicked posts in this thread in 90 minutes?

i think you are the one who paniced by closing threads which tried to help. i made a suggestion or asked for a bug reporting wiki and this thread was instantly closed...

*yawn* nothing to see here.....I'm not one to start screaming like a girl at the sight of one source.

If MANY people report the same thing.....different story. Although I highly doubt it in this case...

Pcgames.de has now withdrawn the article as demanded by the publisher. They say that they now are testing the beta-patch. Tomorrow a statement of Petergames and BIS is announced to comment this story.

edit: sry double post.

extremely interesting, cant wait for the BIS/Peter Games report.

instead of contacting your developers and ask them if the mentioned bugs are known already

I immediately contacted my colleagues at BIS to ask if they know about the issues or have been contacted by PCGames.de Hence my "To my knowledge nobody at BIS have been contacted by PCgames.de about these issues." Everyone I spoke to is shocked and bewildered by the article and had heard nothing from PCgames.de about the issues they're facing.

Hi all

I wonder if the general bugginess of German games is because they have to have castrated version of the games in order to conform to Merkels anti violence political correctness?

Having to radically alter a game to conform to national censorship rules probably causes lots of bugs.

I noticed as well as nutering games they intend to ban paintball in germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8067908.stm

Kind Regards walker

As far as I now there weren't any changes to the German version.

Edited by kavoven

I guess people are simply worried as they really having high hopes for Arma 2 after the unfortunate Arma 1 release.

The last thing people want to hear is again that history repeats itself again.

There´s a lot of passion coming up so close to the german release. I guess a more moderate approach would be reasonable and more contributing to the discussion than instantly firing back on the reviewers.

Keep a cool head.

You have to understand Placebo that the last major German games released during the last years (Gothic 3 + Addon and X3 + X3 Terran Conflict) where quite a buggy mess and since those titles the German community is reacting a bit over-sensitive regarding bugs and so on. There were many people who accused the big magazines of being paid by publishers etc and this lead to this bug warning behaviour.

I know BIS is not related to this (and I can't judge who made the mistake) but todays players expect magazines to warn them when a game is buggy.

But since they are the one who speaks to the general public, they have the responsibility to report the problem to the developer themself first(as they understand the game the most) to set the record straight and for any advisory before making any "public report", instead they ask the publisher who will only relay questions back to the developer in a much slower time and dont wait the feed back before making such statment, just like allowing the aircraft to fly knowing there is problem, doesnt sound too pro. for me (The same goes for BI if they release a buggy game, but thats another story)