Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Please calm down, we dont know whats happen. Hope its just wrong DVD or some registry, autosave files from previous versions instaled on tester PC. Worst variant could be that DVDs are made badly. Im sure that morphicon will check it. Most of errors that they are reporting are strange and we need to know more. If there was bugs due installation, lot of strange behavior can apear.

Edited by ohara

Please calm down, we dont know whats happen. Hope its just wrong DVD or some registry, autosave files from previous versions instaled on tester PC. Worst variant could be that DVDs are made badly. Im sure that 505 games will check it. Most of errors that they are reporting are strange and we need to know more. If there was bugs due installation, lot of strange behavior can apear.

Well said, I hope everything will turn out as some mistake :)

Please calm down, we dont know whats happen. Hope its just wrong DVD or some registry, autosave files from previous versions instaled on tester PC. Worst variant could be that DVDs are made badly. Im sure that morphicon will check it. Most of errors that they are reporting are strange and we need to know more. If there was bugs due installation, lot of strange behavior can apear.

I think we should each be limited to 1 post every 30 minutes. Except for ohara ;)

Please calm down, we dont know whats happen. Hope its just wrong DVD or some registry, autosave files from previous versions instaled on tester PC. Worst variant could be that DVDs are made badly. Im sure that 505 games will check it. Most of errors that they are reporting are strange and we need to know more. If there was bugs due installation, lot of strange behavior can apear.

Good to hear although I wasn't convinced by the single negative preview anyway. I'd like to see how this turns out, and what the rest of the press say about the game, not that I really care what a casual games journalist who only plays the game because he is paid to says. Still, it's interesting to see the wider view of the game.

Hi all

So let me get this right:

The sum total of this kerfufle is that pcgames.de wrote a bashing article based on loadiing a saved game from a very old beta in to a slightly less old beta that then caused bugs and have then removed the article because they did not follow basic press rules of checking facts with those involved.

I would have thought that with a name like pcgames they could have worked it out on their own.

So now pcgames.de have a very red face.

Still as Ohara points out BIS should include a note in the Readme telling people not to load old beta data in to newer betas; and then hope people read the readme.

And then some in the community ran around shouting; "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Hmmm

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

So let me get this right:

The sum total of this kerfufle is that pcgames.de wrote a bashing article based on loadiing a saved game from a very old beta in to a slightly less old beta that then caused bugs and have then removed the article because they did not follow basic press rules of checking facts with those involved.

Uhmm, no. The tester stated that he did not have any previous version of Arma2 installed on his PC. What really happened is anybodies guess at best. Let's see what they say when they do an update of said article.

No, i think we must implement version number in save game and warn or denide, when you wil try to load old savegame in to newer build. People dont read readme files.

No Walker you did not get it right.

PC Games editors clearly stated that their version was not installed over a old one.

Robert Horn himself answered in the comments after he was pointed into this thread here, that he had no Arma2 or Arma1 on his PC installed.

The version was the final packed german release version and apparently the most have been confirmed as "bugs" which will be cured with the patch on release day!

As i pointed them to Placebos Posts in their Forums, The other Editor posted:

"Why should we point BIS to these bugs and ask them first? The Game is final and the dealers get it like this, what can Bohemia do at all, if we tell them that the release version is bugged?"

On the other hand some people in various german Forums reported that they are quite satisfied with Arma2. They love the Graphics and firefights, etc..

One said in greman community Forums, he gives it even with bugs "8.5 of 10 points".

I think the next 2,3 days will be very exiting, alone from reading reports and watching screenshots.

autosave files from previous versions instaled on tester PC

Testers have posted that the PC´s had no preview version of Arma 2 installed prior the installation of retail Arma 2.

Game was installed on clean PC´s.

Worst variant could be that DVDs are made badly.

This would explain the installation problems with missing files.

Would be horror for customers, retailers and publisher.

Well, it would seem a - "Guten Tag. Herr Horn here from PC Games... ja good thanks, listen wir sind just installing Arma2 and all kinds of sheisse ist fucking up. Did you give us zie korrect version of zis game or vott?" - phone call should perhaps have been the first thing to do.

However, after the truck-bounces-off-bridge-and back-onto-bridge state Arma1 was in at first release, one could perhaps be forgiven for thinking this was the way BIS do things. Hope not.

I have to take BIS side on this.We have enjoyed this developer's game since 2001 and while they contributed from our devotion I always got the sense of mutual respect-we helped them-they helped us.Just think how far along it's lifetime Operation Flashpoint received the 1.96 patch for example.

This is damaging stuff and I think no one wants to see BIS go under the ground.

The point is the guy had errors during installation which is a colossal hint something went awfully wrong and that at least caused the missing files issue and unplayable campaign.

Even Terminator:Salvation had to ask for every single copy sold to be returned caused by DVDs burned wrong.And that is NOT the fault of the developer.

Pcgames did cause hysteria and not contacting the developer before posting that article is bad journalism.Every single company with big pockets gets inflated scores,hides issues from the buyers helped by the magazines,but BIS can't even get contacted first before releasing game issues info out in the wild.If that's unfair I don't know what is..

"Guten Tag. Herr Horn here from PC Games... ja good thanks, listen wir sind just installing Arma2 and all kinds of sheisse ist fucking up. Did you give us zie korrect version of zis game or vott?"

hahahah, that's exactly how it should have been said :D

On the other hand some people in various german Forums reported that they are quite satisfied with Arma2. They love the Graphics and firefights, etc..

One said in greman community Forums, he gives it even with bugs "8.5 of 10 points".

It's good to read this.

But I thought the game was not available yet in Germany maybe they bought the download version.

Whatever the problem is, hopefully it will be resolved quickly and in a few days the german "preview" will be forgotten.

Thanks mr.g-c for your answer

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper
question answered

Hopefully its just something minor like that.. :)

Im still on my preorder with the 505 versions but I hope our German speaking people will get it all sorted out.

Maybe the guys at pcgames messed up with loading beta save data, happens in alot of games that have been patched and then you load save data from a previous version and it doesn't work as intended or crashes.

Best thing might be a way to stop people from doing it maybe..

@MQ-9 Reaper:

The game is available since today morning or even yesterday, as the most smaller game stores got their delivery from the publishers warehouse.

Of course normally they have a sale-ban until the official release date, but especially the small game stores, which fight for survival against the big ones, don't care about this and simply put it up to sale already.

Well it's the first negative review of ArmA2 i've seen so far.

The others have been rather postive.

I haven't had time to read through the whole read, but is there any full translation anywhere?

"Why should we point BIS to these bugs and ask them first? The Game is final and the dealers get it like this, what can Bohemia do at all, if we tell them that the release version is bugged?"

Oh alright, so you get an aircraft to inspect on; Opps! there is defects on the aircraft! Flight safty related! and you cant fix it. Then instead of calling tech services, QA, Operator ETC. you phone to the newspapers and tell them about that, while you sign off the work card saying its safe to fly, and let it took off, and the shit did happened, only after that you say: AH HA! I know its not going to work!

Good logic m8! ;)

Well it's the first negative review of ArmA2 i've seen so far.

The others have been rather postive.

I haven't had time to read through the whole read, but is there any full translation anywhere?

what others? :confused:

what others? :confused:

None, people dont know the differences between previews and reviews. Wait for the reviews from the gold copy, until then, stfu.

Oh alright, so you get an aircraft to inspect on; Opps! there is defects on the aircraft!
What has that got to do with the issue at hand? It's not a game magazines job to inspect anything.

I think we all need to stop pressing the panic button. Ive got my 505 copy on pre-order and I dont see any reason to cancel. Even if those reports are totally accurate, (and lets face it, a game that has a problem in the installation procedure can hardly be reviewed properly if it isnt installed properly) I have every faith in BIS that they will make every effort to rectify the situation. After all they havent let us down yet with their level of support and commitment. They are not one of those companies that simply walk away from a game as soon as it is on the shelves. So theres really no need for all this hysteria.

Everyone I spoke to is shocked and bewildered by the article and had heard nothing from PCgames.de about the issues they're facing.

I was hoping this would be the case. Madness, I tell you, madness.

I'll be looking for the PCgames.de article on what occurred.

Chops, he didn't say anything about the company doing anything but contacting the proper source toward the manufacturer for an explaination (if I understood correctly). Instead of alerting the world of a mess up without understanding the cause

Edited by Scrub

and lets face it, a game that has a problem in the installation procedure can hardly be reviewed properly if it isnt installed properly.

you believe that? we're talking about professional reviewers here, as well as a retail copy of the game. the fact that there's a review ban in effect doesn't help Morphicon/BIS, either. looks like a cover-up, even if it isn't one.

What has that got to do with the issue at hand? It's not a game magazines job to inspect anything.

no, they dont need to inspect anything, but seeing a defect not reporting to correct person is something not pro, they might have report it to publisher, but publisher only responsible to sell the game and make money, they are not in depth related with the game development and have to relay question to developer themself for any answers, even more so, without any clear answer they post a "bug report" that the developers have no idea of; did it sounds like the story i told you?