Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Trains should be easy, but the alignment wheels/track would look pretty odd, sometimes the wheel dish would be outside of the rail. I do not know if BIS scripting allows to simulate a vehicle on a path with a tolerance of less then 1 virtual cm. If possible, it is just a question of "which modder will do the first train".

This was already possible with the OFP AEF Script ;)

wtf? :mad:

"Uh yea we put it in the trailer just to have a laugh at the studio and make these people think we actually included it muahahaha"

Meh, I wish they didn't put my hopes up. I knew it was too good to be true anyway.. Did they at least incorperate some things that would make it easier to mod them in?

Thanks for the translation though Mad.

I do believe one of the devs denied train implementation so I don't know why you are getting upset about this when it was said long ago there aren't going to be any trains.

It would seem strange that they wouldnt have moving trains, especially considering that there were some good ones modded into OFP. I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

In the infamous words of Jeremy Clarkson: How hard can it be?

I do believe one of the devs denied train implementation so I don't know why you are getting upset about this when it was said long ago there aren't going to be any trains.

Do you mind to point me to that information as I totally missed it.

That wasn't fair from my point of view, im not getting upset, but I think that was a bad move from bis. Next time bis should add some text (ala WIP) stating trains are static objects, otherwise the community will obviously think there are proper trains available to play with.

Excuse my poor english.

What are the side effects?

If the question is related to my post.

The biggest side effect was MP incompability and AI unable to drive over larger distances, even with many, many waypoints. Everything else worked quite well.

Do you mind to point me to that information as I totally missed it.

That wasn't fair from my point of view, im not getting upset, but I think that was a bad move from bis. Next time bis should add some text (ala WIP) stating trains are static objects, otherwise the community will obviously think there are proper trains available to play with.

Excuse my poor english.

I think it was in a radio interview with either Ivan or Ondrej, can't remember which. Or in a written interview. Can't be bothered to actually find it, I'm afraid you'll have to do that yourself. But I remember trains being a no-go.

Wow... Really thaught there would be trains going as ambience maybe with the civilian logic or something like that. I guess BIS are entitled to have a laugh at us at least once considering all the whining they get everyday reading this forum.

Would been cool with them as ambience like in DCS:BS. Maybe some other day. :) No harm done. I will kill - not look at trains.

Actually, he said it during the german community preview session that was hold in munich.

As Scrub said, its meaning is pretty much that "they did a bit of spoofing with the train passing through the NAPA vid".

Source (in German ofc)

Edit: The full quote says that he also wanted to "test" the reaction of the community with it. I guess people that would love trains can still cling to that from now on. ;)

Can someone please translate that again? Not having trains sounds like a lot of BS to me.

If BIS can do moving cars, bicyles, airplanes and boats how hard can it be to do moving trains? They already got the train model and the tracks so wtf?

And why would they put down all that work just to get the train moving for that vid only? :annoy:

Can someone please translate that again? Not having trains sounds like a lot of BS to me.

If BIS can do moving cars, bicyles, airplanes and boats how hard can it be to do moving trains? They already got the train model and the tracks so wtf?

And why would they put down all that work just to get the train moving for that vid only? :annoy:

Well, there is this little issue with the trains staying on the tracks.

Oh, seems I forgot the "moving" when I added in that Edit at the end.

To make it clearer, the original post also contained a specific quote from the source text, it just didn't get included here as it was a quote in a quote.

Edit: moved it to PMs to not clog up the thread even more

Edited by psycosmos

Maybe when everyone gets 6-8 core cpu's, they will add automated moving trains around ArmA.

For now, just the tracks and stationary trains should add to the atmosphere of the game.

I can wait.

Well, there is this little issue with the trains staying on the tracks.
I don't think thats a problem for BIS at all. They didn't have a problem keeping the vehicles on the ground did they?. ;) The train only needs to follow a predefined path which already is implemented graphicly.

Still why just do it for the video?

To make it clearer, the original post also contained a specific quote from the source text, it just didn't get included here as it was a quote in a quote.

I meant they could translate it from the sorce.

Who cares about trains? It's pointless and a waste of time for BIS, there are much more worthwhile things to do than trains.

If you think it's something simply that they can easily slap in, you're an idiot with no clue about software development.

And why doesn't all the crap about trains go in an already existing trains topic?

Maybe when everyone gets 6-8 core cpu's, they will add automated moving trains around ArmA.

For now, just the tracks and stationary trains should add to the atmosphere of the game.

I can wait.

I don't care really if there are trains or not in the game... Arma2 is a military simulation, not a conductor simulation.

But... what in the hell do 6-8 core cpu's have at all to do with having automated trains in the game? It has absolutely zero to do with processor speed, or computer speed in general. Its a simple (simple as a relative term) matter of spending the time to add them in. Its not at all a technical limitation, and I can't fathom what would make you think it is. To point out, GTA3 had automated trains and in GTA: San Andreas you could drive/derail them even.

It gets very annoying to hear the "When we have super computers this" and "When we have super computers that" in relation to every feature thats not in the game... not all of them are missing because of tech limitations, and most of them BIS simply did not add. And of the many, many, many features BIS elected not to add, I would say trains are probably one of the least important.

Who cares about trains? It's pointless and a waste of time for BIS, there are much more worthwhile things to do than trains.

If you think it's something simply that they can easily slap in, you're an idiot with no clue about software development.

And why doesn't all the crap about trains go in an already existing trains topic?

Yeah partly my bad, I asked about it trying to steer the other conversation from another off-topic (yet interesting) subject to something about press coverage.

Speaking of which, I don't remember seeing THIS release date announcement here yet so I guess we're we're back on topic now. :D

Yeah partly my bad, I asked about it trying to steer the other conversation from another off-topic (yet interesting) subject to something about press coverage.

Seems no matter what the moderators try, this thread hardly stays on topic :p

Well as release gets close I'm sure we will be getting plenty of new press coverage. 3 weeks until the German release, and hopefully the Germans supply the rest of us with plenty of gameplay footage and hardware specs info :D

The German version should be going gold soon. Next week maybe.

Sorry, with all the hookers and run down warehouses, I was expecting a hobo simulator. When will BIS realize the importance of being able to let the players ride the rails, stealing and stabbing for food. Shame on you, BIS, my bindle and I are catching the first train out of the community for good if I don't get my freaking trains!

Damn, no train robberies with littlebirds. Anywho any word on the abilities to airlift vehicles, whether they've might have changed any?

Trains wouldn't be hard to implement at all. It's easy getting a 3D model to move along a predefined path. Coding their behavior might be hard though.

When did the military stop using trains for logistics? Trains carry military equipment throughout the world. So to say "I don't care really if there are trains or not in the game... Arma2 is a military simulation, not a conductor simulation." Show a like of knowledge of military logistics.

Enough with the trains stuff now. If you really, really need to discuss about the non-existing movable trains in ArmA2 (for whatever reason) then do it in a seperate thread, not in the press coverage thread.

Hey I dunno if this was posted already but: Gamespot released new Xbox360 images of Arma2:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/armaii/images/6209071/?tag=gumballs;subtitle;3

If yall posted this already, well too bad - I dont want to read 30 pages of posts from the last 2-3 days. :)

edit: You know what... after some close examination between the IDENTICAL pictures on pc... I'm finding it curious to say that they are actual Xbox360 pictures :p

Edited by Victor

Hey I dunno if this was posted already but: Gamespot released new Xbox360 images of Arma2:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/armaii/images/6209071/?tag=gumballs;subtitle;3

If yall posted this already, well too bad - I dont want to read 30 pages of posts from the last 2-3 days. :)

edit: You know what... after some close examination between the IDENTICAL pictures on pc... I'm finding it curious to say that they are actual Xbox360 pictures :p

dont think that those are 360 screens, looks like the pc version. doubt that there is a playable 360 version yet, they didnt even announce a releasedate for the consoles.

HOLY CRAP:

[iG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/120/952603_20090502_790screen003.jpg[/img]>100kb

That looks nice.

I've noticed that in all screenshots we have seen so far, the shadows are hard edged, even with cloudy background skies. Just like we see here a bit. It seems like there is always a desert sun beaming down.

Just wondering, does it take too much resources (PC or any platform) to make the edges of shadows soft?

Ontopic: new screens looks nice.

Edited by Placebo

dont think that those are 360 screens, looks like the pc version. doubt that there is a playable 360 version yet, they didnt even announce a releasedate for the consoles.

Yea I figured so. Who ever is in charge of posting those images are idiots. :)