Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

That's simplistic. Gaming isn't just about big money, and there are loads of smaller developers making great PC only games. Console's will never appeal to smaller teams like the PC does as they are such closed systems. No license fee's, no stringent Microsoft policy to follow. Places like Steam (love it or hate it) allow games like Killing Floor, The Path, and Zeno Clash etc to flourish and become extremely successful for their makers. Only after the PC do games like this get a look in at a console release.

Then there are the genres that just don't work on console. RTS, MMO, Turn based strategy games, sims (not "the sims" lol) sell like shit on console whenever they come out. There are still plenty of high quality releases on PC in these genres, and unless console start to come packed with a keyboard and mouse, they will always be a part of PC gaming.

Big name titles have given over to a console focus, but the smaller games the games which innovate, as no big companies have any balls these days to try anything different, are where PC really kicks the console's arse. I would much rather be playing Kings Bounty, or some other Eastern European/Russian gem then yet another generic Call of Duty shit-fest.

Look basically you say 'i like wine more than cocacola' ... well i do too, i never drink cola, and prefer win anytime. But the fact remains that cola exist and in 2 major flavors coca and pepsi (ps3 and 360).

You can't just continu by saying pc is better by denying consoles exists. And facts are just PLAIN SIMPLE. The supermajor FPS shooter of f***g alltime ... yep MW2 ... sells better on 360 than on pc. Things HAVE change my friend. In 2002 FPS reigned on PC ... but Xbox/Halo was an BIG indication that things were about to change.

For FPS, consoles are now a fact!

For RTS, MMORGP, Sims (and i mean the sims here;)) and small independent games, you still have pc platform which rules ... but frankly i don't see FPS leaving the consoles.

And yes, a lot of it boils down to the ol' mouse+keyboard ... so the pc platform depends on that. Depends on consoles still struggling to get their controls for RTS right. Perhaps that will be a matter of time. Who knows.

If 360 would allow mouse/keyboard and MS would promote it, things could have looked different already ... who knows. But consoles do not poromote mous+keyboard so pc games depending on that are still in the clear.

(same goes for modding ... and that is one big reason why a game like ArmA2 still has to be on pc because it really can shine there)

A debate about PC v Console is offtopic and irrelevant to this thread, cut it out please.

Placebo i have a question for you , do you think it is possible for a game like or the same as , operating arrowhead , to be able to run on a xbox 360 in a elite state ?

Most things in life are possible if there's a will, a way, and the resources to do it ;)

The fact is, pc's are made for games( and a lot of other things) while games are made for consoles , ...think about it for a while ,

Just to add , todays pc game sales will not be more than todays console game sales , so for today lets say console are in the lead , also a pc can not be ahead of anything with a person who doesn't use one , which = a person who uses a pc will see more value from a pc than a console depending on what they are using it for (games i guess) which also works both ways ..

Fact number 2 / what we are really talking about that a console is behind in the terms of not having arma2 being able to be played on console ,

and thats how we measure console v pc in this case , and lets not say the pc has far more games , lets count the games between pc and console for the last 5 years , measured statistically and you will find your answer again .(do you think anyone cares about donkey kong anymore ) ?

Your first point is invalid, Consoles are also made for gaming, what else?

For your second point, there are alot more games being released and companies competing (ATI v Nvidia for example) in the PC market, this drives the PC further and companies are always trying to get ahead of their rivals.

I've also owned an Xbox 360 and used it alot until it get red ring, I know abit about both Consoles and PC's.

As for your "fact" number 2, PC has games being released almost every day, in the span of 5 years the PC has had ALOT more releases than the Xbox 360.

Most console players don't know of this because those games are either:

1. Indie.

2. PC Exclusives.

3. Not Halo (Sorry, had to ;))

As for whether ArmA 2 can be released on the Xbox? I highly doubt it, Operation Arrowhead has a chance though.

Most things in life are possible if there's a will, a way, and the resources to do it ;)

In otherwords for those of you who dont speak japanese

he is saying

It IS possible

Does that mean they are doing it right now ? no

does it mean they have tried to do it in the past to confirm that it works?????

yes

Placebo I would be willing to garuntee you decent sales if you annonced the console version , there are alot of dissapointed flashpoint fans out there who got dragon rising and even if it didnt have the flashy graphics and what not people would still play the hell out of it (but it would have to have a mission editor for it to be a success)

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Look basically you say 'i like wine more than cocacola' ... well i do too, i never drink cola, and prefer win anytime. But the fact remains that cola exist and in 2 major flavors coca and pepsi (ps3 and 360).

You can't just continu by saying pc is better by denying consoles exists. And facts are just PLAIN SIMPLE. The supermajor FPS shooter of f***g alltime ... yep MW2 ... sells better on 360 than on pc. Things HAVE change my friend. In 2002 FPS reigned on PC ... but Xbox/Halo was an BIG indication that things were about to change.

For FPS, consoles are now a fact!

For RTS, MMORGP, Sims (and i mean the sims here;)) and small independent games, you still have pc platform which rules ... but frankly i don't see FPS leaving the consoles.

And yes, a lot of it boils down to the ol' mouse+keyboard ... so the pc platform depends on that. Depends on consoles still struggling to get their controls for RTS right. Perhaps that will be a matter of time. Who knows.

If 360 would allow mouse/keyboard and MS would promote it, things could have looked different already ... who knows. But consoles do not poromote mous+keyboard so pc games depending on that are still in the clear.

(same goes for modding ... and that is one big reason why a game like ArmA2 still has to be on pc because it really can shine there)

the mouse and keyboard is an old sad argument that doesnt hold up today in the least bit

here is a video comparing performance of the two

Your first point is invalid, Consoles are also made for gaming, what else?

For your second point, there are alot more games being released and companies competing (ATI v Nvidia for example) in the PC market, this drives the PC further and companies are always trying to get ahead of their rivals.

I've also owned an Xbox 360 and used it alot until it get red ring, I know abit about both Consoles and PC's.

As for your "fact" number 2, PC has games being released almost every day, in the span of 5 years the PC has had ALOT more releases than the Xbox 360.

Most console players don't know of this because those games are either:

1. Indie.

2. PC Exclusives.

3. Not Halo (Sorry, had to ;))

As for whether ArmA 2 can be released on the Xbox? I highly doubt it, Operation Arrowhead has a chance though.

so i have to ask you , what did you make your pc for ? to be a pc or play games ? so you added ATI or Nvidia to make it ? to be able to play games , is that right ? ... so pc's are made for games , ie not every pc can play the same game ...... i didn't say consoles were made for anything else but playing games , btw i also own a pc ...( if games were made for pc's every pc would be able to play the same game )

word games, picture game , card games, indie games ... popular games please, or games that atleast have more than 1000 people playing today , do not inclued games that nobody plays , as you need atleast one person to play a game as to also call it a game ,./ yes because you need to have proof that it is infact a game ...... lets then call them games with a graphics standard and lets call the xbox 360 that minmum standard / as it would be unfair to inclued all games made to run on pc's or below the standard of a xbox 360 ,... if you measure between the console and pc mw titles for sales to will see there is a trend , so i calculate that today the console( and lets now use all consoles v pc for this example so there isn't any mistakes) sold more units of games within the standard given

but anyway after a little thought i guess your right / well i have to take bohemia and arma2 into account , as that is one more game a console doesn't have , that a pc has :-)

In otherwords for those of you who dont speak japanese

he is saying

It IS possible

Does that mean they are doing it right now ? no

Yup what I'm saying is it is possible, but based on the experiences of developing Flashpoint:Elite it will only happen if a publisher signs on to the project before development starts so we don't end up developing a title solely off our own backs without support.

Yup what I'm saying is it is possible, but based on the experiences of developing Flashpoint:Elite it will only happen if a publisher signs on to the project before development starts so we don't end up developing a title solely off our own backs without support.

talk to 1c , those guys are great IMO

they were real good to gaijen entertainment (the guys who brought IL2 to consoles)

and they did a pretty good job

Makes sense to me. But this situation allready exists a long time, and no publisher deal shows up:(

Just curious. Has OA anything to do with a possible console version, as i that OA seems to be more resource friendly (smaller, less vegetation, etc)?

The biggest problem ArmA has is that it is a niche-serie. And consoles are pretty mainstream, they're not ready for niches unless it's a 150MB game you can DL for puny monies.

This thread makes me dizzy....So if BIS does not have a publisher they would not be working on a 360 version from the start. Or is 505 or like publisher doing it on the QT? sorry, can only keep up with bits of the info. why do it stealth like?

This thread makes me dizzy....So if BIS does not have a publisher they would not be working on a 360 version from the start. Or is 505 or like publisher doing it on the QT? sorry, can only keep up with bits of the info. why do it stealth like?

I think he means , there is no publisher for arma2 as this was 505 games , and maybe but more than likely arma2 was to much for a console to run smoothly even with less detail in the game ,

however operation arrowhead has a different publisher , IDEA games , the question is will they develop for console? , my guess is they are looking at the possibility of this , operation arrowhead will sell more units on the pc than arma2 did , people who brought arma2 will buy this game plus people who hear it can run better than arma2 on a pc will also buy operation arrowhead ...

I have a question for placebo , if the game operation arrowhead needed a publisher to start development on that project , whos idea was was the name of this game , idea games or bohemia , . also was a stand alone version of arma2( operation arrowhead) already planned before bohemias interaction with idea games ?

Edited by cnickcj

however operation arrowhead has a different publisher , IDEA games

IDEA games is no publisher, it's a group of several Czech game development studios. BIS is one of the founding members IIRC.

A debate about PC v Console is offtopic and irrelevant to this thread, cut it out please.

Thank you! :)

IDEA games is no publisher, it's a group of several Czech game development studios. BIS is one of the founding members IIRC.

Then who is the publisher for operation arrowhead ?

Then who is the publisher for operation arrowhead ?

Probably the same as Arma2. Self-publishing via sprocketidea.com, 505 games for Euro retail and Steam, Morphicon for Germany, Got Game for US etc.

In other words, independently developed and sold through many smaller publishers.

Edited by Pulverizer

In other words, independently developed and sold through many smaller publishers.

Pretty much :)

Pretty much :)

Hey Placebo, has BOHEMIA ever thought of just having a download version on the market place just with the mission editor and a few player vs player modes made by BOHEMIA like BF1943 did. Most players just want the mission editor so they can make up COOP or MP games to play. A person can make a better mission then the developers because it's what they want to play not someone else. MP missions can be played with other players just like in FARCRY 2.

BOHEMIA, would not need a publisher only MS to allow them to use the market place. Just something that went thru my mind yesterday when I was fooling around on BF1943 waiting for friends to get on to play the ELITE.

What do you think. No need to have the SP most people want COOP and player vs player just my two cents.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

:cool:Placebo, If the load up time was one of the major issues getting the game to run right then way can't BOHEMIA just limit the playing area. I am not saying the BS like with OFPDR 2km X 2km but like the size of FARCRY or a little smaller. Most COOP missions you don't need the whole area just two good starting points and some nice locations between for multiple objectives/resources to use during the missions. Player vs player missions would be fine with a set fighting area the only bad thing would be using airplanes. However, a good mission maker could make a makeshift airstrip on some flat ground to use.

There is a console market waiting for this game. OFPDR had a bad start and CODEMASTERS had to many issues becuase of the number of people making decisions how the game would be and the direction the company wanted to take. The game was incomplete. CODEMASTERS just wanted to make some fast money with some easy DLC. CODEMASTERS dropped the ball big time but the game had potential. Most new and old players of the game wanted to give it a try but CODEMASTERS turned out to be one of the worst gaming companies that treats it's customers like crap and just flat out lied about the game. That was the main reason most players walked away from the game not because console players did not like the game concept most did if the game worked right.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

:cool:Placebo, If the load up time was one of the major issues getting the game to run right then way can't BOHEMIA just limit the playing area. I am not saying the BS like with OFPDR 2km X 2km but like the size of FARCRY or a little smaller. Most COOP missions you don't need the whole area just two good starting points and some nice locations between for multiple objectives/resources to use during the missions. Player vs player missions would be fine with a set fighting area the only bad thing would be using airplanes. However, a good mission maker could make a makeshift airstrip on some flat ground to use.

There is a console market waiting for this game. OFPDR had a bad start and CODEMASTERS had to many issues becuase of the number of people making decisions how the game would be and the direction the company wanted to take. The game was incomplete. CODEMASTERS just wanted to make some fast money with some easy DLC. CODEMASTERS dropped the ball big time but the game had potential. Most new and old players of the game wanted to give it a try but CODEMASTERS turned out to be one of the worst gaming companies that treats it's customers like crap and just flat out lied about the game. That was the main reason most players walked away from the game not because console players did not like the game concept most did if the game worked right.

A smaller island is what is needed , and maybe also the towns being as big as they were in opfe , not much detail (in game) buildings vehicles weapons etc ... flat grass = green ground , and bushes to give cover in some areas ( trees , rock formations etc ) , 1080p is a must , it looks good like that .

-- OFDR is restricted , people who play these types of games want, a unrestricted game of this type , and also the added value of DLC for the company , islands, more vehicles etc , .

I don't think sharing of missions is a good idea , if the game was released on the xbox 360 , but a editor for those who wish to make missions of their own ( unrestricted ) and for those who are unable to make a mission to their liking (because they don't know how to ) a DLC mission pack with a good number of missions to keep the masses happy (200 ms points is more than enough )to keep the masses happy .

members of your forum want this game

A smaller island is what is needed , and maybe also the towns being as big as they were in opfe , not much detail (in game) buildings vehicles weapons etc ... flat grass = green ground , and bushes to give cover in some areas ( trees , rock formations etc ) , 1080p is a must , it looks good like that .

-- OFDR is restricted , people who play these types of games want, a unrestricted game of this type , and also the added value of DLC for the company , islands, more vehicles etc , .

I don't think sharing of missions is a good idea , if the game was released on the xbox 360 , but a editor for those who wish to make missions of their own ( unrestricted ) and for those who are unable to make a mission to their liking (because they don't know how to ) a DLC mission pack with a good number of missions to keep the masses happy (200 ms points is more than enough )to keep the masses happy .

members of your forum want this game

I did not mean sharing of user missions like you have it on your hard drive but like we had in the elite. I would make a mission and you could play it with me but you do not keep the mission like in farcry. In farcay you would keep the map the person made. I have never put any of my missions on action replay because then someone could change the balance and F up what I had in mind when making the mission. With the wrong balance a good mission will be crap.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

When i read that carrier command might come to xbox i was like yes finnally a gud game for consoles but then i realised its science fiction. But as long as its a non linear open world environment and with gud tactical/"realistic" ( at least believable health and physics and stuff, not like halo.) gameplay i will still definitily buy.

Fingers crossed BIS finds publisher for ArmA2 360 (probs 720 or watever) or atleast OA.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I would like to see ArmA 1 ported to consoles, that would be possible and you cant argue with that, plus it will be cheaper to make because less modifications will have to be made, which means BI could use that spare money to make better offers to publishers, and therefor us console gamers can have a bite of the action.

Sure ArmA2 is better but i would prefere a 9/10 game to a 10/10 game thats probably not going to come out for a while.

:cool:BOHEMIA the console communities are still here and want to play your games on our systems. Don't let us down and we will not let you down with the sale numbers.

They've already stated they want to make a console version. Bumping this thread isn't helping anything.