Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

I would like some more mirrors for High Quality video, filefront is not so bad, but it reporting error now confused_o.gif

Ill admit i wasnt feeling too optimistic about Arma 2 for quiet a while, but after reading W0lle's personal review I'm now feeling a hell of a lot more optimistic and excited at what improvements and features Arma 2 will bring to the table compared to Arma.

Quote[/b] ]Wounded units roll on the ground in pain
I love this addition! Now fire fights and such should feel a lot more realistic rather then soldiers simply shrugging of injuries to the arms and legs and continue fighting without any pain at all like some sort of zombie.

I also love the new civilian and wildlife features. Populating villages ect with just a few lines of code in the editor.

Great stuff BIS!

that ArmA 1 was a filler game.

Thats what BI said it was! afaik smile_o.gif

I missed the memo. crazy_o.gif

I also love the new civilian and wildlife features. Populating villages ect with just a few lines of code in the editor.

Great stuff BIS!

Yes, this is by far the biggest feature I wanted in a game. I hated populating each town in Sahrani with civilians when I wanted the country to feel populated rather than an empty shell. I was hoping they had that in the first ARMA. But hey, better later than never!

All doubt left me when I heard that feature. I love it!

Now all I wonder is if the RPG Elements such as speaking to civilians will be in the editor. Maybe if they have nothing to tell us they'll make small talk and talk about less important things happening in the town. Obviously if Opfor enemies pass, they'll report that to us when we speak to them.

I saw the last viedeos from GC and read the remarks on small fences that confuse the AI. And I started to think that climbing over obstacles was to be implemented already in ArmA. After a bit of searching I found the interview.

Quote[/b] ]Q: There has been suggestions voiced by a few members of the community that ArmA should include jumping to overcome small obstacles like sand walls etc. Many others believe that jumping will ruin the game and turn it into some CS clone, and suggested that an option to climb over obstacles should be introduced. Will we see anything like that in ArmA ?

A (V.B): We are currently implementing climbing over certain obstacles, but there will be no "CS style" jumping.

So, as I understand BIS didn't make it with climbing to ArmA. But they were working on it already. Was this two more years too short to finish it? I really hope they make it in ArmA 2.

And for other impressions IMHO in making ArmA or ArmA 2 BIS concentrate too much on simulating the environment (ligh, HDR, butterflies!!wink_o.gif, and not on simulating military aspects of the game (tactics for infantry, tanks, helis (BTW. did that huey crash into trees in armabase.de's video? huh.gif ), chain of command etc.).

I really hope BIS will supprise me. For now, I'm not impressed.

Nice Armabase video! Love the click on unit icons on map and click out several move waypoints to them! Its like in a rts like tiberium wars where you have your units selected and then hold a key and then click out where they will move! Its really a great change to the command interface! inlove.gif

Suggestion for Bis wink_o.gif

One thing would be sweet if there was a option when commanding soldiers to choose if they would move slow or fast when walking from A to B. I probably know a couple of people i played the game with that got annoyed at how easy they lost their A.i's when they out run them tounge2.gif

BTW. did that huey crash into trees in armabase.de's video? huh.gif

Id imagine that just like in Arma it was shot down nearly instantly by small arms fire directed at the pilots head with pinpoint accuracy at the outer edge of the weapon systems range.

biggrin_o.gif

One thing would be sweet if there was a option when commanding soldiers to choose if they would move slow or fast when walking from A to B.

Don't worry wink_o.gif

Ill admit i wasnt feeling too optimistic about Arma 2 for quiet a while, but after reading W0lle's personal review I'm now feeling a hell of a lot more optimistic and excited at what improvements and features Arma 2 will bring to the table compared to Arma.
Quote[/b] ]Wounded units roll on the ground in pain
I love this addition! Now fire fights and such should feel a lot more realistic rather then soldiers simply shrugging of injuries to the arms and legs and continue fighting without any pain at all like some sort of zombie.

Great stuff BIS!

I believe that in the SP campaign none of your team members can die. This leads me to think that this is why units have a greater chance of being wounded rather than dying. It'll just be for you to go over to them and administer first aid, reviving them. Now this doesn't seem like real combat.

I agree with you on the civilian and wildlife element though. That does sound vastly improved.

It doesn`t really make any sense to me that none of the team members can die.

As mentioned before it is probably done so for a reason, though we might end up with the reason it is done for weight less then if it hadn`t been done that way at all.

I would prefer a "Hidden and Dangerous" approach where you had to replace the team members.

That Huey in the demonstration was instantly shot down, listen for the loud BOOM in the beginning tounge2.gif

Tonyranger has a good realistic solution for dealing with injured in hes mod I think, you call in a support helicopter that patches wounded soldiers up, puts them in the chopper and replaces them with new units from the chopper.

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=9JBU6N9laj4&feature=user

I would prefer a "Hidden and Dangerous" approach where you had to replace the team members.

I would prefer this also, but we've only been shown 5 members in the press kit. They all have background stories and there all unique. Each one has a specific job to do. During the SP campaign you'll be switching between them to carry out your objectives. I'm just speculating but it's not what i was hoping for...

Armabase.de again wink_o.gif

Video show's KI

Full quality Download here

Realy nice Video I love it smile_o.gif

EDIT: lool wtf Bug or Feature? Video: 5:23

Great films!

I like the part in the forest, the lighting is amazing! Gives the game much more atmosphere smile_o.gif

Only thing disturbing me is the road. Textures are sharp for about 5 meters and then start to blur  crazy_o.gif

Keep up the good work, BIS smile_o.gif

Edit

Wah, I quoted an image *removed*

Wuh, Placebo didn't get me biggrin_o.gif

but so far AI looks very promising can't wait to see finished product.  smile_o.gif

It looks the same as ArmA to me. You can get the AI units to do that in ArmA with individual commands. I would assume for a scriting guru this would be relativly easy to do. Lying in the middle of a road is not good and pointing your weapon at a fence which is only 10 feet in front of you is also not good.

And for the love of all that is holy can we not have the exact same sounds from ArmA. I've paid for them once already i don't want to have to pay for them again. I could say the same for the animations but i know, WIP. icon_rolleyes.gif

Whilst it's a shakycam vid, the game looks great as far as I can see. Pleased to see a better jogging animation. The AI seems OK, but it's hard to get a good idea of the battle and how the AI react to the enemy. They seem less robot-like and I didn't see any sprint-stop-sprint like there is in ArmA.

but so far AI looks very promising can't wait to see finished product.  smile_o.gif

It looks the same as ArmA to me. You can get the AI units to do that in ArmA with individual commands. I would assume for a scriting guru this would be relativly easy to do. Lying in the middle of a road is not good and pointing your weapon at a fence which is only 10 feet in front of you is also not good.

And for the love of all that is holy can we not have the exact same sounds from ArmA. I've paid for them once already i don't want to have to pay for them again. I could say the same for the animations but i know, WIP. icon_rolleyes.gif

And thats the difference. I didn't see anyone giving all the micro managing commands to the AI!

Furthermore you should know that things like sounds are changed in no time, so this is going to be changed at the end.

(Please BIS, just make sure the double ding at the end of each radio message disappears. It's driving me crazy! OFP system with statics at the end was just fine! )

Imagine how easy BI could have taken the sound level of the game trough the roof by asking people like Fromz or Chammy, it would be so easy and make the game so hugely much better for reviewing magazines and people playing out of the box. EVERYTHING is better than the stock sounds.

BIS heres my tip, get the check-book and start sending mails.

Only thing disturbing me is the road. Textures are sharp for about 5 meters and then start to blur  crazy_o.gif

Anisotropic filtering, its our friend. smile_o.gif

EDIT: The AI seem pretty nice, covering area's seems to be improved, so is the movement in general (Precision, decisiveness of running/walking/prone/standing up), but we still didn't really get a good look at it.

...Even "Blackland", the German Community-Manager said it was extremely disappointing for him...

I am not the german community manager...! I am Moderator of german support team. wink_o.gif

The "gametv" demonstration was not professionally organized, moderators were bad. Markus has tried to do the best of it.

The whole thing was improvised and lets the good GC-Press-Kit forgotten! sad_o.gif

Imagine how easy BI could have taken the sound level of the game trough the roof by asking people like Fromz or Chammy, it would be so easy and make the game so hugely much better for reviewing magazines and people playing out of the box. EVERYTHING is better than the stock sounds.

BIS heres my tip, get the check-book and start sending mails.

I agree 100%. I notice the same gun sounds. Stock ArmA weapon sounds are very "dry" without any reverb etc making it much less immersive. Losing a lot of that wow feeling. Not wanting hollywood stuff here ofcourse, but my esperience with guns fired especially out in the open leave some kind of echo (reverb or similar). Dont have to be much at all but just so the sound image become solid during fire fights instead of the feeling of single sounds being played out. Hard to describe but some of the awesome sound mods we love does this good.

Come on BIS - New sounds please smile_o.gif