Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

Regarding Alpha Prime, from an older Gamespot preview:

Quote[/b] ]"The game also has support for Ageia's PhysX processor, so you'll experience bigger explosions and more complex physical effects, if you have the card."

Considering hardware-accelerated Nvidia PhysX (who bought Ageia) is now possible higher end video cards, maybe the joint effort on Carrier Command will include support as well. smile_o.gif

For those that may not be up to date here, hardware-accelerated PhysX enables orders of magnitude increase of physics over CPU based at minimal cost to the CPU.  (I.e. The small hit to the CPU with HW PhysX means that other important areas, such as AI, pathfinding, etc, should be largely unaffected.)  Those of you with Nvidia desktop 8-series and above now actually already have a PhysX card, thanks to Nvidia's recent driver update.  Go check out the demo package if you haven't already.

Now with Carrier Command, think of all that island hopping, only with massive new destructive capability the likes no one has ever seen!!! wow_o.gif

I'am hoping my Carrier Command comes live again!

Please do your best nd may the force be with you!

I know, it's a OpenGl based Games so I am really want a linux client, but will buy a W$ Version if it is running with wine.

anybody remember Armour-geddon I used to love that game nearly as much as carrier command.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/armour-geddon

Yip I remember that one, there's even been a few fan-based remakes and a couple of rip-off's made.

I can't wait to see some more on the BIS's CC.

Anyone seen any development screener or anything?

Didn't we get no new information about it on the GC08?

Did anyone heard something?

Well I can certainly say for now the soundtrack will definitely need to be a high priority.  That doesn't mean leave a ton of bugs unresolved or rush development that leaves holes the size of a Freight truck to drive through.

It's just a shame that most of the strategy games developed have to be historical, significantly absurd, or sci-fi now.  I deeply wish the sim market would demand a successor to the Harpoon series and Fleet Command.  Realism, powerful mission editing options for single missions and dynamic campaigns, real resource management, and strategic land warfare simulation by using battalion sized land combat groups or larger.  Sonalysts would probably develop it if they felt it was profitable, but it seems the commerical modern naval warfare market is too volitile and small to risk developing a sequel now.

Only two sci-fi games I've played ever measured up to the standard of "good" for me.  They were Homeworld 1, and Star Wars KOTOR 1.

I wonder if there will be a strong mission editing/building system with powerful options like for OFP/ArmA I/II?  Maybe not to that extent, but maybe some of the powerful logic operations for objectives and events would be nice for mission editing.

So it takes place in the future with Sci Fi carriers?

There won't be any Nimitz or CdeG or CVF carriers?

I thought it was a game like Fleet Command at first...

whats the point for nimitz? the storyline dont even happen on earth! tounge2.gif

AIiieeghh This was my fav game ever back then and BI studios are making it aiiiieee - cant wait

Its odd I was thinking of making a mission in arma like this only the other day

DO IT !!!!!

[TAO] Kremator

I saw this title called carrier command, i instantly got excited, i saw that BIS was developing it, got even more excited, i was picturing a huge realistic naval game involving all kinds of the diffrent aspects that navies today carry out, i was picturing missions based on present day carrier operations, and then i was picturing how much this game would own if bis made it as moddable as arma is

Then i found this topic calledc carrier command, and i read through it to find out it was only a sc-fi game, now my heart dropped to the floor lol.

Anyways good luck with it, and i hope it turns out well and becomes a good game, maybe it will make me give another look to sci-fi games

Wow, I've never heard of Carrier Command. I'm a huge scifi nut and to find out that sci will be mixing with the creators of my favorite fps gets me warm in the pants.

Looking forward to it!

ZOMG, I remember seeing this in a flyer of my really old games (Stellar 7 anyone?) and remembered that I've always wanted to have it but back in those days it just wasn't available where I lived... Now it's coming back... I think I'm gonna fall in love with it just as much as I did with Activision's Battlezone remake...

Edit: And of course, this needs to be modded for OFP and ArmA 2!  biggrin_o.gif

Edit2: For OFP Mini-mod...

Terrain: Gnat's Waterworld... check!

Carrier: Between Nimitz, Kuznetsov, and all the other carriers... take your pick... check!

Planes: Uhh... too much choice... check!

Amphib Tanks: Hmmm... Good question... check!

BUZZARD @ Sep. 04 2008,11:52)]Edit2: For OFP Mini-mod...

Terrain: Gnat's Waterworld... check!

Carrier: Between Nimitz, Kuznetsov, and all the other carriers... take your pick... check!

Planes: Uhh... too much choice... check!

Amphib Tanks: Hmmm... Good question... check!

LOL it prob could be done with the right set of skills/scripts tounge2.gif

I too was intrigued by this idea when Hoz first mentioned it, and I too read a bit more and perceived a sinking feeling - no pun intended.

To my mind if you're going to do sci-fi you need to do space. If BI were to combine this excellent planet-side premise with an Elite-type space shooter/trader/explorer, complete with all the multiplayer aspects BI have become known for, they'd corner the market.

An epic task, obviously, but not one beyond their talents.

I too was intrigued by this idea when Hoz first mentioned it, and I too read a bit more and perceived a sinking feeling - no pun intended.

To my mind if you're going to do sci-fi you need to do space. If BI were to combine this excellent planet-side premise with an Elite-type space shooter/trader/explorer, complete with all the multiplayer aspects BI have become known for, they'd corner the market.

An epic task, obviously, but not one beyond their talents.

why build something what's already being developed by at least 2 game studios ...

Would be nice to have more infos on game content...so i will just drop my questions here wink_o.gif

Will there be more than one type of aircraft as opposed to the original CC?

Same for amphibious vehicles?

Will you be able to get out of the vehicle and commence infantry-style warfare?

What about the weapons of the carrier..will there still cruise missiles be available?

Will the resource-system of the original cc be present in the new one?

well thats it for the moment ...

would be nice of one of the devs could answer smile_o.gif

Great news! Carrier Command is one of my all time favourites. And with tactical combat by BI the new game would be even better.

Spring 2010, I'm waiting!

Quote[/b] ]already being developed by at least 2 game studios...

Those being?

Quote[/b] ]already being developed by at least 2 game studios...

Those being?

Carrier Command site

Look at the bottom, both BIS and BES (Black Element Software) are listed.

Edit: Doh! I need to read more before replying. Thanks Sanctuary.

bedges and dwarden were talking about games in development of the Elite genre (Elite/Frontier 2/First Encounter/Freelancer/Evochron/Xtension/X2/X3/etc...)

Elite 4 is supposedly under development (probably to be released after Duke Nukem Forever wink_o.gif )

There is a new version of X3 going retail next month or the one after.

Evochron is under continuous development.

I wish there were more games of this genre though.

Thanks for the links Sanctuary; bought Evochron this morning and it's pretty enjoyable.

What's missing from the game and from the others you mentioned as far as I can tell, including this new build of Carrier Command, is joined-up genre-crossing gameplay. Being a loon on a planet, ArmA style. Cross 4km of BI-tastic realistic terrain in the pouring rain to get to a base. Climb inside a craft and lift off. Pass through the atmosphere and head for the orbital station. Dock the ship, get out and explore the station, etc etc etc.

There's the ocean too, obviously - if you're going to do space, why not underwater while you're at it?

I wish BI every success with this game, and I'm sure it will be quite popular - there seems to be a lot of mileage in resurrecting the fond memories of grown-up kids with disposable income, as can already be seen in both film and music. Personally, I'll wait for a game which will bring it all together, seamlessly, and deliver a real sense of freedom at all scales, macro and micro.

(Not sure why my first post failed to appear, but I'll try again)

20 years ago I was a play-tester for Rainbird Software, and got to test the original Carrier Command for the Spectrum , Amstrad CPC, and IBM PC. I managed to avoid testing the C64 version, and I also amended/re-wrote the manual for the Z80 versions.

It's great to see that CC is about to get a follow-up (of sorts). My one hope for this new version is that it still feels or has some elements from the original CC recognisable in it somewhere.

Anyone who doesn't know the original might want to have a peep at my own web site at http://birdsanctuary.co.uk/carrier/i.php for further details!