Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

I think those features are a part of the recent games produced by 3000AD games

http://www.3000ad.com/site/home/

Derek Smart released for free the first game of his "Universal Combat" serie, so you can try it to see if these features are as good as what you are expecting.

http://www.3000ad.com/site/free_games/

Haven't tried out the free Universal Combat, doesn't it have the multiplayer features removed, Sactuary? huh.gif

Heard that the documentation on the retail game itself was quite lacking, but I always thought from the images that it would be something like OFP gone to space... inlove.gif

No idea really of what feature is present/removed, as i never tried this game before, having already enough space sims, space trade and space combat games to toy around with.

lol nostalgica.

This can be really fun in a next-gen 21th centruy version! thumbs-up.gif

I've tried reading everything I could find but I'm still puzzled by this game. What type of game is it and what is the actual gameplay like? Is it just an RTS or does it try to imitate Battlezone or what?

I've tried reading everything I could find but I'm still puzzled by this game. What type of game is it and what is the actual gameplay like? Is it just an RTS or does it try to imitate Battlezone or what?

Battlezone in wider sense and happening in ocean. Basically player is carrier commander, which holds allkinds stuff like firghterjets, waterjets and stuff, send those vehicles to missions and can pilot one at the time if wishing.

Original game was pretty much just ocean stuff. I dont' know what year was it release year, but very-very early 3d game. Vectors and stuff.

Was neat game, even when i was too young to understand it so that it would have sucked me into it. My goofings with the game remained quite short But hey i remember it, unlike most games from those days! That is something... However i really don't even remember was in Commodore 64 (most likely) or Amiga 500 (not likely) game.

BIS making a sequel to this unique game just shows the uniqueness of BIS in todays gaming industry.

In other words... BIS FTW ! biggrin_o.gif

i watched some vids about this project on youtube; it's sad for him after a lot of work.

Yeah, maybe BIS get contact with him :)

The guys last post was this:

The Carrier 2 remake is now dead. Gone. Buried.

With the intended release of an official Carrier Command game from the new IP holders, I can't really continue with my friendly remake.

I do intend to take what I have, hopefully get more people on it, bypass any IP issues and get something released. Eventually.

And with the planned modding ability, it's not beyond imagining that someone could come up with a mod that resembles a certain other Carrier commanding game ;)

Carrier2 has served me exceptionally well in it's original purpose: a way of learning 3d graphics and games-related programming in general. Looking back at the first screenshots I have to have a little chuckle :)

I think I opened it up publically far too early as you all know - it's taken quite some time, though as games programmers know all too well, once a game is 90% finished, you still have the other 90% to get done...

I've been astounded by the enthusiasm people still have for the game, and the support I've had from literally hundreds of people all over the world.

Old-timers check your inbox... old timers I may have forgotten, send me a mail!

Bless him haha

Now, what I see is, an updated version of Real Virtuality. Which is good, but man, don't you think it's time to move up to something less limited in terms of physics, dx11, AI computing, something like OpenCL?

Don't get me wrong, but we could be getting more, what people and developers obviously starting to become aware of (FINALLY!!!) that we don't need new hardware every 6 months and games that can't be run with latest high-end PCs on decent settings with decent framerates... It's just time for devs to start using new capabilites... Sorry BIS, but you should start working on a new engine rather than on a new game with the old one...

Is it official that they are using Real Virtuality? I haven't seen that... Maybe they are, but with some important upgrades (DX11 , etc).

Is it official that they are using Real Virtuality? I haven't seen that... Maybe they are, but with some important upgrades (DX11 , etc).

Well, there's nothing official, but I wouldn't expect DX11 just yet from them... No way actually... They haven't even gone to DX10, well, ok, maybe they will leap to DX11 but I doubt it...

Also, if you check screens on games official site, you can clearly see same old Real Virtuality with few modifications... Few thing I've noticed, Sun shafts, real reflections, simpler grass, less detailed environment (maybe cause of optimization?)... Although many of these could've been faked but I don't think so cause BIS guys usally show true in-game stuff (not like those ConsoleMasters who fake every single screen...)

They haven't even gone to DX10, well, ok, maybe they will leap to DX11 but I doubt it...

Actually you're misinformed... They did some test of DX10 for Arma 2 and said it wasn't worth it as they could do all they wanted in DX9 ( shader model 3) which works on a much broader set of machines (cards and OS).

Damn, even Crysis was essentially a DX9 game and the DX10 things were gimmicks (a few stuff were hidden in DX9 to give a slight edge to the DX10 version, which it clearly lacked on its own merit)

BIS will certainly move on to DX11 some time (tesselation for instance is a big feature), they are not afraid of new technologies by any mean.

Few thing I've noticed, Sun shafts, real reflections, simpler grass, less detailed environment (maybe cause of optimization?)...

I don't know about you, but that doesn't strike me as less detailed! I'd love to have micro terrain like that.

carriercommand34aae56b7.jpg

EricM, thank you, I didn't know that.

Daniel, I never said anything about textures, they are great in Arma 2 and I don't think DX11 has much to do with ground texture as it has with tessalating objects like stones, humans (where neccessary) etc... So, I'm just saying that this still looks like the same old thing just a bit polished. I mean it is ok, I'm not saying that it doesn't look awesome...

I was reffering to what they might achieve with using Direct Computing possibilities, exploring this new stuff... Why would your CPU suffer again because of AI calculations when both your CPU and GPU can suffer if done right XD

Also, imagine body physics and so on and so on...

That's all I'm trying to say, but all that requires heavy improvements upon Real Virtuality... Remember, they do their job great, but we could be getting more and I think it's right time for that, since they weren't afraid to go with something like Arma (and why should they be anyways... lol) and now this, I hope they will have courage to get in ''new waters'' and explore capabilities of OpenCL and DX11...

Cheers!

In addition, why not to try with OpenGL? So few devs go for it, and anyone who knows anything about DX and OpenGL past can tell you why OpenGL is better. It was always ahead of DX, but damn Microsoft made DX look like something way better/modern... Crap! OpenGL had some features (like tesselation) way before DX made use of it lol! And that is not only example, so I'm asking you, why not to go with OpenGL for instance?

I was referring to the more detailed terrain mesh (see the little dips in the ground to take cover in) rather than textures.

I was referring to the more detailed terrain mesh (see the little dips in the ground to take cover in) rather than textures.

Yeah, you are right actually. Terrain is quite detailed. :bounce3:

I've just noticed that the image you have posted kinda reminds me of Far Cry 2... LoL

I never payed attention to this game before, it seemed kind of, distant...

But I am all hyped up now!

W00t!

One thing I've noticed on screenshots is that there's infantry now. It's going to be difficult for the developers to make believable AI and behavior for human infantry. They'll need all the attributes and animations worthy of AAA first-person shooters. Cover-mechanics and so forth. This will be a big project if they plan on doing it properly.

@ Intezar : They are the makers of Arma 2 which is already an AAA FPS/tactical/infantry shooter in open vast landscapes with non-scripted AI. So they have that part covered already, don't worry.