Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Snow Units

After difficulties getting my Nunivak Island I was developing (huge map) with the upgrade to v1.14, I decided to refocus my efforts. Hence I'm now modelling some units for Spirit to use with his awesome Watkins Island mod.

I decided rather than doing unit retextures I wanted to recreate the entire model, so here's where I am at. They're ready for release with the next Watkins Island, but there are still a few bugs (can be seen in photos). I've also started retexturing weapons and am working on modelling snow vehicles.

They are completely specular and normal mapped. I made them in 3ds Max from scratch, then imported them into Mudbox and made a high resolution model (over 1 million polys!wink_o.gif and imported the OBJ back into 3ds Max, baked the texture onto the lowres one I made, and that made me my normal maps, specular maps, and ambient map to draw from.

Here are the pics:

sn_0.jpg

sn_2.jpg

sn_3.jpg

sn_4.jpg

sn_5.jpg

sn_6.jpg

Looks super, the will be super on the Watkins map, and there is no snow camo units... notworthy.gif

How many different units, weapons and vehicles do you expert you will do...?

love it good job matey!!

Looks good, and this isn't aimed only at Icemotoboy, but whats with sticking US flags on units when it doesn't need it really, I mean, not everyone wants to have the stars and stripes brandished all over the units their using!

Any chance of having some units with some tactical gear?

Sweet, im liking the jackets allot! Very nice addition!

Keep it up!

Looks great, but the ski boots looks like alpine boots, I would think that a cross country type of skis would be more conventional in use for a army in a arctic environment.

Looks great, but the ski boots looks like alpine boots, I would think that a cross country type of skis would be more conventional in use for a army in a arctic environment.

Indeed, they're a photograph of my ski boots smile_o.gif The NZDF, which I was in, didn't use plastic mountaineering boots generally, they used leather boots such as the Makalu from La Sportiva (my first mountaineering boot!wink_o.gif from climbing and cross-country ski boots for lengthy terrain. Indeed, a lot of mountaineering guides here in NZ are using leather boots now as well.

oh my god!

I just saw this topic, your doing awesome work man!

keep it up thumbs-up.gif

Looks good, and this isn't aimed only at Icemotoboy, but whats with sticking US flags on units when it doesn't need it really, I mean, not everyone wants to have the stars and stripes brandished all over the units their using!

I partially agreed smile_o.gif

They look great. Thanks for taking on the winter Arma project. Will the units actualy ski around the island?! That would be awesome! If not, sorry to say that, but perhaps other winter shoes are more apropriate for this addon? If any of you ever WALKED in ski boots, you know the meaning of the phrase "walking with a stick up your ass". Bunny boots perhaps?

Is there any chance to see Russian winter camo guys also? What about Independent?

Outstanding work, nice to see ArmA expanding into the winter theater theme more. McFarlane makes some highly detail/accurate figures you could use for additional references checkout

MAIN

http://www.pf-militarygallery.com/action%....ary.htm

US RANGER Arctic Version

http://www.pf-militarygallery.com/images...._dp.jpg

Keep up the good work

I can imagine a snow ghillie suit in there, then someone saying its a YETII!!!

pistols.gif