Sign in to follow this  
danowen

soldner  free game and new patch

I had the original and used to play it with a couple of guys from here. It's quite fun to play. This release will prove to be quite interesting. Thanks for the link.

Mark.

I had the original and used to play it with a couple of guys from here. It's quite fun to play. This release will prove to be quite interesting. Thanks for the link.

Mark.

I too found it pretty good too (nothing compared to OFP though), and really not as bad as some people made it out to be. It got a little repetitive after a while though. I'll definitely try this release.

I tried the game, just never got use to it, preferred the OFP experience and now Arma

Wow. That's quite cool and surprising of them. Not that there is any money to be made of off the game but still.

The gameplay was pretty bad even if quite fun for a while. It really had some nice features when it was released, and that stuff is still rare to come by in other games. Liiiiiike the soldier customization, (almost) dynamically destroyable buildings and terrain, penetration, huge view distance (not much for objects though), ridiculous map size (fractal generated terrain over coarse real world satellite data + detail areas), funneeh voice taunts combined with animation etc.

I'd say it's worth checking out if you haven't played it before.

This game is known to be one of the most bugged games ever. My team considered using it when game came out but we gave up on it just after testing it for 10 minutes. Yup, that bad. Authors didn't even have betatesters, when I've started the SP campaign you got a jeep that spawned with a road sign through the engine smile_o.gif

They released a gazzilion patches but i'm not coming near that crap even if they pay me.

Character customization was/is amazing in Soldner. Also terran and building dynamic destruction is awesome.

Maybe BIS could also release OFP as a free game.

This game is known to be one of the most bugged games ever. My team considered using it when game came out but we gave up on it just after testing it for 10 minutes. Yup, that bad. Authors didn't even have betatesters, when I've started the SP campaign you got a jeep that spawned with a road sign through the engine smile_o.gif

They released a gazzilion patches but i'm not coming near that  crap even if they pay me.

Pfffrt, i never even got past the menu, even after trying 300 different things and loading the game every time for like 30 minutes. tounge2.gif

Memories...

I rented it when it came out, installed it, started a quick mission, spawned in a btr that drove forward without me doing anything, then crashed into something and fell on the roof while the camera spinned around it without me beign able to stop it.

End of story is i uninstalled it after that and brought it back the same day.

But maybe its worth a second look now that its free and patched.

The only info posted "in the foreseeable future" is not that much of an info. All you can do is check the page frequently.

When the free version is going to be available?

Seems they are waiting to finish a patch for it. Then they will release the game complete with the latest patch.

There is effectively no SP, it's more or less an MP CTZ (Capture the zone for fun and profit). So unless you have a clan or a pub server, it has little to no replayability.

However, that's a shame because a lot of the underlying tech is quite incredible and well ahead of it's time. The character customization potential is very impressive, and building and terrain destruction simulation is well implemented, even if they ran out of time and funding for content.

The villages are repetitive, but only because they're procedurally generated, which is its one degree of awesome. BIS could learn a lot of valuable lessons from the technical design of the different pieces. Also, trees maintain collision when you push them over into ground craters made after you punch holes in buildings. wink_o.gif

I remember the hype to this game and how many users of this forum (back in the day) claimed it would "kick ofp's arse"

The hype lasted little past the first day when the true nature of the product was revealed by the fanbase.

Shame really.

You can polish a turd..in the end its still a turd.

But if you incase it in gold you could probably still get quite a bit of money for it.

change log for the new patch is very big click the link and see.

haha so true, terrible game is terrible.

I remember the hype to this game and how many users of this forum (back in the day) claimed it would "kick ofp's arse"

The hype lasted little past the first day when the true nature of the product was revealed by the fanbase.

Shame really.

Yeah its been 4 years but seems just like yesterday, i thought this game could of been a good competitor to OFP / arma but then was a big dissapointment.

Tried the demo when it came and I promised never to play it again.

Seems like I might have to eat my words now, since I *will* have to try it if they give it out for free and still, after all this time are patching it.

Really smart move by their marketing/PR dudes I must say - to create a bit of a hype and a fanbase before Söldner 2 whistle.gif

But if you incase it in gold you could probably still get quite a bit of money for it.

Ah yes Turd Gold.

Shame really.

I'm all for competition in this niche Mil-Sim market as these are pretty much the only types of games I'll play anymore. That said, I can't give props to a game/sim that has little to no AI as competition to OFP/Arma as that puts it in a different league alltogether. The amount of programming it must take to institute all of the AI features we all want, basically to make them act human in a huge open-world landscape with infinite variables puts it in a class all it's own. I wish more games would attempt this as not everyone wants MP only.

This game isn't bad condsidering it will be legally free tounge2.gif Because with all the bugs this game is jsut waste of money, they should have released it as a free game long time ago tounge2.gif

...I can't give props to a game/sim that has little to no AI as competition to OFP/Arma as that puts it in a different league alltogether...

Soldner was rushed out pre-alpha as far as AI is considered. So yeah, whatever. Not that you can give any props for mad AI skillz to BIS either when the fact remains that it kinda still sucks ass in ArmedAss. Be it infantry, tanks or aircraft, they don't actually have a damn clue what they're doing.