Sign in to follow this  
Wolfrug

Dynamic Sound AI - RC 1.0

Great script, additions like this are just making this game.

Sorry if this is covered in the readme; but is it possible to have the chatter stop when the unit is in stealth mode? Kind of annoying when your sneaking and people shout "GET SOME!!" biggrin_o.gif at the top of their lungs. I know this doesnt affect AI, but just for ambience sake.

Edit: Fixed the RUG_TerminalDistance typo

Well, when in Stealth they should quiet down their "regular" chatter (which is there in safe/aware/combat - depending on language), but it won't stop their event-based chat. Event-based meaning things like spotting an enemy, throwing a grenade, being wounded etc. Many people use Stealth when in combat because it tends to make your soldiers stay low more often, and they also do this for the AI squads.

But if you insist, you can disable all the voices while you're in stealth, by making a little script that looks something like:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

while {alive Player} do

{

waitUntil {behaviour Player == "STEALTH"};

RUG_DSAI_TerminalDistance = 0;

waitUntil {behaviour Player !="STEALTH"};

RUG_DSAI_TerminalDistance = 500;

};

Or somesuch. But of course that disables voices for the enemies and all other groups as well wink_o.gif

@PrivateNoob

Glad you got it sorted smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

The scripts -should- check for if these variables have been set already and if they have leave them alone, but there's a slight chance that it might have been overlooked for the initialization.

Hi Wolfrug,

Last night I tried to add a delay (1-5 sec) but can't get it to work, I can't even get "RUG_TerminalDistance = -1" to work if used with a radio trigger, AI still chatters along?

Haven't had time to look inside your PBO but something seems to be broken. I'm testing this in the editor in SP, no other addons (except XEH 1.7) for time being.

Keep it up!

/KC

:P Checked it myself in the editor, and I got worried for a moment there: it's just a typo in the readme.

The correct global variables are:

RUG_DSAI_TerminalDistance

and

RUG_DSAI_CycleTime

I'll fix this in the wiki-page ASAP. My mistake! D'oh.

I tested it with 0 and -1, and it works. rofl.gif

Edit: And I also checked the initialization just to be sure, and yes, it does check if RUG_DSAI_TerminalDistance has been set before trying to apply the default, so I don't see why setting in in the init.sqf directly shouldn't work!

Regards,

Wolfrug

...it's just a typo in the readme.

That explains it! Thanks for the heads-up will test tonight.

/KC

If I'm not mistaken, soldiers in vehicles aren't chatting... could it be done so they talk while in veh?

In the original version, soldiers did chat in vehicles, but vehicle-chatting doesn't work the same way in ArmA as it does in OFP! For instance: even if the soldier's lips are moving ("talking"), the vehicle as a whole is the source of the sound. Letting the soldiers talk would give rise to tanks and closed 5t trucks or, god forbid, helicopters that keep chattering away at you crazy_o.gif

Well - this would still be okay in principle, you could just run some extra checks to see if the player is inside the vehicle or not, and if so, let the scripts run. But sadly since it's the vehicle as a whole and not individual soldiers doing the talking, you can barely hear the shouts and such while inside it! So either way it's quite pointless.

I'd love to have chatting in vehicles too, but for now all the scripts cancel if the unit is inside a vehicle. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

After realising I was an idiot with setting waypoints to "Danger" and wondering what all the chatting was about *DOH!* and also messing with the time intervals, this with ECS rules.

Great work mate biggrin_o.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been using this addon since its first release. Battlefields are so full of life with the added ambient chatter that this mod brings.

Thanks to sickboy for his help! This mod deserves such special attention.

In the original version, soldiers did chat in vehicles, but vehicle-chatting doesn't work the same way in ArmA as it does in OFP! For instance: even if the soldier's lips are moving ("talking"), the vehicle as a whole is the source of the sound. Letting the soldiers talk would give rise to tanks and closed 5t trucks or, god forbid, helicopters that keep chattering away at you  crazy_o.gif

Well - this would still be okay in principle, you could just run some extra checks to see if the player is inside the vehicle or not, and if so, let the scripts run. But sadly since it's the vehicle as a whole and not individual soldiers doing the talking, you can barely hear the shouts and such while inside it! So either way it's quite pointless.

I'd love to have chatting in vehicles too, but for now all the scripts cancel if the unit is inside a vehicle. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

LOL, it seems like BIS wanted to make some propaganda vehicles smile_o.gif

Hope it's goint to be fixed... I'm definitely not prepared for ArmA 2 xD

Thank you for this very nice and updated DSAI. I tried the first version but in some situations it seemed off to me, soldiers were constantly burping and shouting. This one adds so much to the atmosphere without being overdone, it's nearly perfect !

Thank you !

Malick

there is an expression in the english voices that not corresponds with english languaje , is the expression "hijo de p**a", let's say that it's a quite typical spanish expression biggrin_o.gif , i've not been able to locate it in the sounds folder because there are a lot of sounds but i hear it sometimes during battle

Any chance you can program this to randomly set a pitch value to the voice of each soldier (the way OFP:R let you customize your own character's voice pitch) when the mission is initialized, adding a human variety to the sound?

Any chance you can program this to randomly set a pitch value to the voice of each soldier (the way OFP:R let you customize your own character's voice pitch) when the mission is initialized, adding a human variety to the sound?

That's great idea, but I'm afraid it's hard to get it to work.

It'd be a case of beefing up the config hardcore, AFAIK it's not possible to include the random command within a config?

I got stupid question - does this mod recognize whether the unit is male or female? smile_o.gif

I got stupid question - does this mod recognize whether the unit is male or female? smile_o.gif

and by the way: Aliens?

wink_o.gif

QuietMan

Ah, sorry for the unresponsiveness, been keeping busy!

1) Random pitch etc: not going to happen, although if you want to edit all the voice files and copy them a couple of times, you can "sort of" get random pitches...and up the size of the addon by a lot :P So no, sadly not really workable as of now.

2) Male or female: Nyet, not right now. Good thought though. See, thing is, that with the notable exception of agamoth's freedom fighters, there are really no female addons so far. Although it is possible to figure out the gender of the unit via the config (AFAIK), and although it would be possible to code it into the scripts to use different voices for females, so far at least that's probably not going to happen. I don't think agamoth's freedom fighters use the proper female-switch anyway (since they all sound like men wink_o.gif).

Aliens aren't specifically recognized by this script, and will probably sound like enraged arabs if engaged...

HOWEVER: Thanks to the modular structure of DSAI, you can easily enough make it "recognize" these special units, either through script or through actual config editing. You can, for instance, create an addon that is all amazon women, and then create a soundpack for them, and then tell the config of these amazon women to use that soundpack excusively. Likewise with aliens. Alternatively, you can create your own soundpack for the aliens or amazon-women, and then in your mission use a simple init-switch to make them use that soundpack!

All of this can be discovered by checking out the wiki page, linked to on the first page wink_o.gif

Glad you're liking it so far!

Regards,

Wolfrug

It has been said before, but it must be said again.

WOW this really does add to the whole flavour of the game.

Thanks so much to both Wolfrug and Sickboy.

This Rocks.

Styxx

I believe I speak for the both of us when I say : thanks! biggrin_o.gif As other addon-and-content makers around here have said: the only reward we get from our work is the appreciation of the community, and the knowledge we're making someone's playing experience better. smile_o.gif Glad you like it! If you have any other comments or suggestions, feel free to voice them!

Regards,

Wolfrug

If you want some praise : I really love this addon ! It immensely enhances the experience in SP. In MP it may give a bit unfaire advantage, as enemy units may be heard when they talk smile_o.gif Too bad, it's just a side effect.

However, I noticed that sometimes, some script doesn't find a specific sound, like 'medic2' or something similar. Anyone else ?

Thank you, all that worked on that addon !

Malick

If you want some praise : I really love this addon ! It immensely enhances the experience in SP. In MP it may give a bit unfaire advantage, as enemy units may be heard when they talk smile_o.gif Too bad, it's just a side effect.

However, I noticed that sometimes, some script doesn't find a specific sound, like 'medic2' or something similar. Anyone else ?

Thank you, all that worked on that addon !

Malick

"Human factor" and realism are priceless. At least I don't really care about "fairness" in these parts of gameplay wink_o.gif

medic2? it could be ECS or EVA...

I absolutely love this addon. Ive been revamping a version of Warfare with the Resistance as FFAA Terrorists and hearing them shout while your fighting them is sweet. However the Arabic sounds seem to be a little loud, it sounds like they are 50m from you but there usually 200m.

One thing I cant figure out is the Resistance seem to be the only ones that it works on. The East and West units aren't saying anything. Of course since its MP its probably for the best.

Also Ive noticed the missing medic2 sound as well. next time I see it i'll take a SS. and report what it actually says.

Another thing Ive noticed is sometimes in SP they seem to get stuck on stupid. they'll shout they are bleeding or hurt but after healing them they still keep shouting. Ive had it happen with Reloading too. I had 3 guys run out of ammo, got them some more but they still constantly shouted reloading. Had to send them off on there own and toss a nade to them..LOL.

I also had other AI enhancements running as well, like truerange AI, and SIX's blood and tracers so there might have been conflicts.

Quote[/b] ] I had 3 guys run out of ammo, got them some more but they still constantly shouted reloading. Had to send them off on there own and toss a nade to them..LOL.

hahaha rofl.gif ... that made me laugh.

Lets be glad its only a game and real life ... (im thinking torrets syndrome here whistle.gif )