Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Hifi Sound FX V1.00 Released

What's the point of reviewing something you've never heard, and then talking only about some other sound mod?

No doubt, 2 shining examples of how to really encourage people to pour alot of hard work into making additional content for the game in a row...

@ Mark: I havent been able to dl it yet, but thank you in advance, if anything for the effort of putting it all together as you have so that when I get done with te long que of dl's I have running I'll be able to dl it too. thumbs-up.gif

Thank you for a very interesting sound mod. A few comments.

Overall the sound 'feel' and 'weight' is excellent. For a layman (in terms of sound engineering) its hard to accurately describe, but the overall effect quite authentic, but above all consistent.

I particularly enjoyed the M24 and M117 sounds. The sounds I think you should work on are the silenced or Sound suppressed weapons. As well as the 'SMG' class of weapons.

While both the M9-SD and AKSUN sound great; both the M4-SD and Mp5Sd sound weak and inconsistent to your other work. While I recognize that this is the 'point' of having a weapon suppressed in teh first place, the overall delivery doesn't come across as authentic. Where is the 'Angry stapler' sound we've come to expect? (and enjoy)

Also the unsuppressed Mp5 and AK-SU are particularly unimpressive. While far from commonly heard weapons, they should nonetheless have a unique 'identifying' character. So when a player comes across it on the battle field, he is instantly aware of something unusual. --> fun.

I see in your list some sounds haven't been changed, do you guys think I could load this mod after another sound mod to keep new sounds for like vehicles?

I see in your list some sounds haven't been changed, do you guys think I could load this mod after another sound mod to keep new sounds for like vehicles?

I belive that... As long as you load the Hifi Sound mod as the last one, it should override all sounds from any other soundpack while the ones that the Hifi pack doesn't contain will be loaded from the other mods.

Suggestions for music are welcome, although I don't have access to vocals or a full live band, I'd love to do something hardedged. Maybe NIN mixed with meatbeatmanifesto?

Errrrm, I was more thinking of converting tunes on my HD to .ogg whistle.gif but hey, knock your socks off. My tastes go far & wide beyond Slayer thou. Might play with Slayer one day and Joy Division the next (Yes, they actualy did have a few adrenalyn-pumping tracks) I also play Quarantine in SP alot so I was thinking of extracting theme music from a few Zombie movies as well yay.gifpistols.gif

Just wanted to say again that this mod is great, was just wondering if you could enhance the sound a wee bit perhaps? I've turned my 'effects' sound on my ArmA a bit higher so it sounds good, but a little bit more 'bite' for some of the weapons would be good, like the M4.

Nonetheless, brilliant mod, keep up the great work, can't wait for the features you want to implement!

Yours truly,

The sounds themselves are pretty good, however you can barely hear them after a few meters, i tried it with both EAX and HW acceleration on and off bit the sound fades too quickly over distance.

very nice mod..well done..

+ambient sounds

+screamings

+vehicle sounds

+m136 sound is unbelievable. Maybe a bit too much but just great.

Sounds in general are really good.

Some need more attention..for example;

M16 sounds

MG sounds

Shilka gun/bullet sounds

dhskm sounds

they sound a bit artificial. M16 sounds like you are hitting 2 iron sticks each other. crazy_o.gif

But I'm really happy with the mod in general. Perfect some items and it has a "keeper" potential.

Good Job.

Wow, I checked this out before I went to bed last night. Very impressed with it thus far. I'll be using this for sure! Thanks for taking the time, effort and energy to putting this together. I know how much of a pain in the arse it can be sometimes, but when it's all said and done and sounding good...it makes it all seem worth it. I'm sure many here would agree that this one was certainly "worth it". smile_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

Good Evening All!

Well firstly I'd like to thankyou all for posting so many positive comments, really it makes me happy and eager to work when I read such good stuff!

Well good news all round, I managed to sort afew things out and have the updated version mirrored at the bottom of this post.

V1.1 Fix/Update

-Hand grenade throw sound reworked. should work better with the animation.

-m4 volume notched up alittle

-Hand grenade Explosions reworked (added some bass frequencies to the boom sound and falling debris to the trailoff sound)

-M203 & GP 25 explosion sounds reworked (added more variation in sounds, watched some footage on Youtube, noticed variation in the sound over range was quite different so tried to copy it. the problem I beleive is that the 8 samples designated for this fire off randomly, so you could be firing at close range and here an explosion sound that would be virtually 200-300 metres away...Guess we'll have to see, please comment on this as I'm also considering building 1 base sound and then modeling the other 7 sounds around that, just for consistancy.

-MP5 volume notched up alittle

-Javelin sorted ! (nasty phasing sound busted)

-Bikey thingy fixed

Mirror;

http://files.filefront.com/HiFi+Sound+FX11zip/;10025905;/fileinfo.html

Well I hope you enjoy

Regards

MarkXIII

Ack, FileFront doesnt support resuming of DL's sad_o.gif

Armaholic does thou, wink_o.gif

Times like this I almost miss living in Chicago area (Cable v.s. dial-up)

My connection has a funny way of loosing server connection on a rather frequent basis so I'm forced to use a download manager. confused_o.gif FileFront says,,, " band.gif " well, denied actualy, but about the same.

The Susser, what the hell is that all about?

1 Week PR, +2WL for a pointless and insulting comment.

-Bikey thingy fixed

Not quite you've signed 'HiFi_sounds.pbo' but not 'HiFi_config.pbo'

Please sign wink_o.gif

FritzDaKat,

If you use going to use Joy division, why not New Order instead? Yes, I know the arguments but at least they have a more upbeat rhythm to their depressing lyrics. biggrin_o.gif

Still throw them in once in awhile, ahh.. those care free high school days...

why not New Order instead?

at least they have a more upbeat rhythm to their depressing lyrics. biggrin_o.gif

Sir, you have answered your own question. rofl.gif (Couldnt help it.)

And tyvm ofpdeadeye for the AA.info link thumbs-up.gif

Hello again

Thought I'd put these out there so you guys could get an Idea of where I'm headed.

City Combat (Combat Ambience Infantry+miscfx)

http://files.filefront.com/CityCombat+1ogg/;10026421;/fileinfo.html

Arty Salvo (Single salvo fired -traversing - impact)

http://files.filefront.com/Arty+Salvo+1ogg/;10026434;/fileinfo.html

These 2 files are early examples of my combat ambience soundtrack shrunk down alot timewise to give you a taste of what I'm working on. For the next week or two I'll be working on this alone, after that my good friend Ornbine shall be coming on board to help add his own twist to the combat ambience soundtrack.

Ok, for those who can't be ar*ed to download these samples above I'll attempt to explain what its all about.

The Combat Ambience Soundtrack will run along side you during missions, the soundtrack shall be activated by placing a trigger and selecting a soundscape for that chosen situation. for example;

I make a mission which consists of 2 Objectives, the 1st is to destroy a bridge the 2nd is to guide arty onto distant armoured targets. Now the default sounds are fine for conveying whats happening in your local area, but they don't convey much at distance. So, each soundscape from the Combat Ambience Soundtrack has been designed to fill in the gap between whats going on locally to you in game and whats happining elsewhere at a distance. So we create a trigger for when the bridge in our mission is destroyed and BOOOOOoooooooooooooom in full 44khz stereo with debris and foley..as for the second objective, calling in arty, mulitple soundscapes can be added to create a tense feelng as arty fired from multiply ranges and directions land out into the distance....I hope you understand that we're thinking of mission builders and sandbox players alike here. we'd like to setup something thats quick and easy to use, but really brings out the better qualities of the game. This is in its early stages as I recently decided to go ahead with this around the same time I decided to release the HiFi Sound FX. It would mean a great deal to me if you'd have a listen to these tracks above and comment.. if you have an idea for a situation that could be placed in an audio context please speak up.

Well I hope that made some sense, anyways I'm off for some grub so take care and thanks again for your coments, they are appreciated.

Regards

Mark XIII

Lovely idea! Version 1.1 is outstanding, too. Can't find anything to complain about (except for the fact that ArmA is an insanely incomplete game but that's not only not your fault, you made a major contribution to turn it into a really good one :) )

Thanks so much for all the work, mate!

Gawd Dang it! Bikey Nightmare! ok, just done it, will zip config keys and add download link, then just add em to your @sound folder

My Apologies for the inconvenience

Mark XIII

Indeed, it's a lovely idea and I just listened to the combat ambience sounds, they sounded amazing, I closed my eyes and could almost feel myself taking part of that combat, hearing the fighting around me.

And the artillery sounded immense, wouldn't want to hear that close to me, heh.

Yours,

Nope you need to provide 'HiFi_config.pbo.HiFi_sounds.bisign' as well as 'hifi_sounds.pbo.HiFi_sounds.bisign' crazy_o.gif

Just wanted to say, great work so far!

Some sounds are just "right on". The only suggestion I have is to add more "umpff" to some of the sounds (Maybe just volume levels). I see in ver 1.1 you beefed up the m4, good. While checking the mod yesterday I thought it odd that the magazine change was louder than the actual rifle shot wink_o.gif

-KiLo