Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Let's talk about VOIP in 1.09

Well I downloaded and watched one of the videos and I really don't see what the big deal is. TS is good enough for me.

Thanks for the update but VOIP really doesn't excite me since we already have several programs that do a find job at it already. Waste of BIS' time IMHO and certainly not worth delaying the patch for over 6 months.

Moderators may not like me posting my opinion about the VOIP but at least I was on topic biggrin_o.gif

I can only assume that people who don't like the VOIP and think TS accomplishes the same thing simply have not read the description of how the VOIP works and cannot visualize what is happening in the videos.

Oh well. I guess some people will just have to use it themselves before it'll sink in. It's not hype - VOIP changes the way you communicate in the game. TS still has a place if you have a large playercount and set organization (ie: ShackTac), but VOIP adds a number of features and a level of integration that will NEVER be possible in TS2, ever, and which acts as a great complement to TS2 in large-scale situations and a total replacement for it in smaller-scale situations.

But hey, doubt it if you want. Doesn't hurt me any, VOIP's already in there. wink_o.gif

While Im glad that VOIP has been fixed for when Im playing with a few friends... its virtually useless otherwise. Well, not virtually, but if they don't add mute functions most public servers are probly not going to use it becuase of all the obvious problems. VOIP in a public server, with no admin or mute feature can be one of the most annoying things possible in gaming.

This is a feature that for the most part, only clans/teams will really be able to take full advantage of. Sure it can help communication in public servers, but then the above is an issue. In reality, I agree with the other who have said VOIP is kinda last priority in ArmA, especially since TS is availible, and has been used by clans for years now.

Either way hopefully the 1.09 patch has some other good bug fixes to go along with VOIP... not even the major issues, just some of the small annoying ones.

This is a feature that for the most part, only clans/teams will really be able to take full advantage of. Sure it can help communication in public servers, but then the above is an issue. In reality, I agree with the other who have said VOIP is kinda last priority in ArmA, especially since TS is availible, and has been used by clans for years now.

Oh well!

We obviously have different opinions about what should be a priority insofar as bug fixing goes. ArmA VOIP was buggy in 1.08 and prior, it's been addressed in 1.09, and that's commonly referred to as "bug fixing" (something which people like to ask for but then monday morning quarterback the decisions of BIS at every opportunity).

TS2 does not do what ArmA VOIP does. Simple as that.

Why don't you reserve your complaints for the actual release? I've already said in very clear terms that I did not and would not post the changelog. Do you think that VOIP is the only thing that 1.09 has in it?

Dslyecxi, your efforts in making these videos, this thread, and all your Arma work is very much appreciated. Please don't think any of us are being ungrateful here.

VOIP is only icing on the cake in my opinion. Many of us can live without it though. For people who have been waiting on other fixes it is very disappointing to have the VOIP features rolled out first. Obviously by the display of the iron fists of the moderators in this thread this is very important to BIS also.

Regardless, thanks for your efforts in getting us news!

Our "iron fists" have nothing to do with BIS and does not reflect the importance of VOIP for them. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Dslyecxi, your efforts in making these videos, this thread, and all your Arma work is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote[/b] ] Please don't think any of us are being ungrateful here.

I suppose it depends on what ungratefulness you're referring to. I do believe, and I think it would be naive not to, that there are certainly people in the community who are simply ungrateful for anything that BIS does for them. They have their vision of what the next ArmA patch will be, and if it doesn't live up to their ridiculous standards, they'll try to burn BIS at the stake.

Quote[/b] ]VOIP is only icing on the cake in my opinion. Many of us can live without it though. For people who have been waiting on other fixes it is very disappointing to have the VOIP features rolled out first.

My group is testing VOIP. I asked to talk about VOIP with the community as well as mention some other aspects of 1.09 as a form of news, to give some update on the progress of 1.09. While many people have been appreciative of that, others have not, and the amount of bullshit (and let's not mince words here) that has taken place in this thread is amazing. I'm grateful the mod team is being active in dealing with it, and keeping the thread mostly within the realm of what I made it to discuss.

Looked through the topic shortly.. Sorry if allready discussed.

Is there a way to MUTE someone? I would like 3 methods:

1) personal mute ( if i don't whant to hear someone i just press "P" and trigger the button near the player's name )

2) admin mute

optional 3) #vote mute ID

While many people have been appreciative of that, others have not, and the amount of bullshit (and let's not mince words here) that has taken place in this thread is amazing.

Well since we aren't mincing words here: now you are just coming across as angry because we aren't all jumping up and down about VOIP. We can appreciate that you worked very hard on this news thread but this still is a forum for people to express opinions good or bad. It appears you only want people gushing over what clearly is something you are passionate about. Unfortunately forums don't always work that way, lol.

In all fairness if you look at the content of your first post that started this thread you started talking about all the other features that people are dying to find out about then, after a few paragraphs, you turn it to VOIP. It was just begging to go off topic, lol.

I don't get why people do not realize the value of direct VOIP.....

to be able to communicate with anyone right next to you in game would be amazing. Conversely, hearing your enemies talking is a great tactical advantage in ambushes, etc. I've been salivating over this since day one of OFP.

Well since we aren't mincing words here: now you are just coming across as angry because we aren't all jumping up and down about VOIP. We can appreciate that you worked very hard on this news thread but this still is a forum for people to express opinions good or bad. It appears you only want people gushing over what clearly is something you are passionate about. Unfortunately forums don't always work that way, lol.

In all fairness if you look at the content of your first post that started this thread you started talking about all the other features that people are dying to find out about then, after a few paragraphs, you turn it to VOIP. It was just begging to go off topic, lol.

The point at which someone dismisses VOIP because "TS2 does the same thing" is the point at which it goes from 'reasonable discussion' to 'baseless, uninformed bashing'.

If you want to take this as anger, hey - that's your prerogative. If I were actually angry, I wouldn't be spending any of my time replying to this topic.

Quote[/b] ]Looked through the topic shortly.. Sorry if allready discussed.

Is there a way to MUTE someone? I would like 3 methods:

1) personal mute ( if i don't whant to hear someone i just press "P" and trigger the button near the player's name )

2) admin mute

optional 3) #vote mute ID

Not presently, but it's something that has been requested. Here's hoping.

To hell with VOIP.

I can chat on the phone if I need to....

Get the 1.09 out already.

And get rid of the damn crashes and fog.

To hell with VOIP.

I'm sure most of the community is happy with this update and the detailed changes and videos Dslyecxi so nicely provided.

To hell with VOIP.

Agreed, well kinda, I dont think to hell with VOIP, but I wouldn't want it to hold back the 1.09 patch 1 more day. Arma online public is gasping for air but getting sucked under, I know that VOIP won't change that but the other features might.

Agreed, well kinda, I dont think to hell with VOIP, but I wouldn't want it to hold back the 1.09 patch 1 more day. Arma online public is gasping for air but getting sucked under, I know that VOIP won't change that but the other features might.

Ok, perhaps there's a misconception at work here.

VOIP is not the only thing being worked on. Other things are developed in parallel with it. For those that think the delay has been exclusively about VOIP, that's not the case.

this is just one of features of 1.09 so please stop degrading the subject ...

anyone not following this warning gets WL ...

btw. i think these videos demostrating all You needed to know about this theme ...

edit: i myself welcome these ingame VOIP changes as it would rox small team COOP missions

I look forward to "shouting" at other players online. biggrin_o.gif The positional nature of the coms really does add to gameplay. My small community rely heavily on TS. It's effective but cannot approach the integration of proper in game coms.

For people who have been waiting on other fixes it is very disappointing to have the VOIP features rolled out first.

Nothing has been "rolled out first". Dslyecxi created this thread. I don't see any official statement from BIS.

It's disappointing that even good news is being interpreted as bad. If they put this much effort into fixing VOIP (the community did request this in the past), then it makes sense that they've looked into the hardware issues too.

loved those vids notworthy.gif

and, i must say, i realy do look forward to seing voip work better than it does today, it's a superb tool, and, i know ts is used by many ( myself included ), there are still many that do not use ts, and for them this will be even better, and for those of us that plays with them smile_o.gif

You also have to think about the simplicity of the way you use this, aftherall, you eliminates atleast 2 other prosseses running by using ingame voip, instaed of 3rd party software ( ts and tso ), witch, for those having trouble with the cpu usage, will help a bit too.

@ Dslyecxi :

Thank you very mutch for this interesting update.

@ bis, does santa come to us this year? xmas_o.gif

(though, not sure if the comunity should get coal instead of nener.gif )

crazy_o.gif i dunno interesting but whats the bandwidth up/down on voip i myself am in a closed Lan Network so we just usually yell at each other instead of using mics

why do i ask incase i wanna play Online

If I throw a cake through my microphone will in game VOIP pick up on this cake and proceed to broadcast as if my in game dude was eating delicious delicious cake? This is a one hundred percent real question and it is imperative that it be discussed as there is a great market for cake dLIEvery that I feel isn't being capitalized on.

Really though I can not wait for this to come out as it will make for more shenanigans not only against my own team but yelling at the other team as well.

Can't wait to try this online. No more nagging everyone to get on TS and having to switch channels on TS whenever players get changed around in PvP.

And small scale PvP is gonna be more fun with people yelling at each other using direct speak biggrin_o.gif

Muting individual players is a good idea and pretty important for public games. Don't care about the "vote mute" or "admin mute" idea that some people brought up, why not kick the idiot instead?

Judging from the videos, the new grass looks good.

Not so sure about the new recoil though. It seems to return to the exact spot after you fire, kinda like OFP did. Makes having recoil almost pointless since it hardly effects you.

I liked what was done with the Q11 recoil mod, where the gun would still end up in a slightly different spot.

Hard to tell if it's not already like that though, maybe you're just readjusting your aim well.

I know this is mainly meant to discuss VOIP, but there isn't much else to discuss. I just want to use it smile_o.gif

Damn some people here just love to complain crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]One question though, you say objects block the direct speaking too. I've noticed that ArmA bushes like to work as great big sound absorbers, so lets say somebody is on the other side of a bush from you and uses direct speak, will this be blocked out by the bush?

I don't think it will be outright "blocked", but it may be muffled a bit. Probably not enough to be an inconvenience, though. (which is good, of course)

Ok, but imagine this situation:

You and your friend are at an ambush side, each one is on one side of the bush and you want to say something via direct speak(lets say something about your SL, or just some secret coup planning) and you see the enemy coming up and you start talking, but the sound gets muffled. You'd have to move, but that would mean revealing your position and getting killed. So that could be a problem. The problem being mainly in the fact that bushes, no matter how small, absorb sounds as good as houses or hills. Or has this issue been addressed?

Voip is nice yes, forcing community members who are extremely, eagerly anticipating 1.09 to discuss only 1 aspect of 1.09 is to my mind somewhat unfair when in a privileged position of having access to 1.09

The community has been suffering for a long time with 1.08, if they can't have it yet because it's not ready then we don't need to be extra cruel by hinting at the pot of gold and saying "hey but let's only talk about the handle of this pot" smile_o.gif

Just to clarify Dslyexci had permission from Marek to post this thread so I apologise if I implied otherwise smile_o.gif