Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

AI kept shooting at static weapon

well, as the title says... why does AI kept shooting at the static weapon even it is not manned any longer? it's not like they going to shoot back. is it a bug or a feature? my men just wasting ammo trying to destroy that thing

Its probably the same thing they do with vehicles.

I have notcied that even when enemy driver or passengers are long gone from the vehicle the AI still fire at it as if manned.

I guess its the same exact issue confused_o.gif

I noticed this too.

I made a mission with a bunch of SLA, (about 50), with the "Search and Destroy" waypoint near about twenty US static guns. I noticed that in the midst of battle there were a few enemies who continued shooting at the unmanned weapon.

This probably has to do with the waypoint, because I've also had the AI shoot at cars, even when everyone inside is dead. I guess that's why it's "Search and Destroy"

I believe this is a bug, this happen in ofp as well. It takes a little while before they quit firing at it or they keep firing untill its dead.

What I do to get around this is set the fuel to 0 and then setdammage to 0. This prevents it blowing up and killing people around it but also makes it destroyed so people dont fire at it.

What I do to get around this is set the fuel to 0 and then setdammage to 0. This prevents it blowing up and killing people around it but also makes it destroyed so people dont fire at it.

setdamage 0 command wouldnt destroy it, it would bring it back alive wink_o.gif

Anyway, you can easily make a trigger that will prevent AI from shooting it when gunner is dead, lets say your static weapon is named "s1"

Condition: not alive s1g

On activation: s1 setcaptive true

Static weapons no longer explode in ArmA. You just need to use "unit setdamage 1" now to destroy it.

How about AI that are smart enough not to attack inanimate objects?

pistols.gifyay.gif

It makes perfect sense from a tactical perspective. Think about it. Destroy the weapon, it can't be used. Simple. Same with tanks and so on, they'll destroy the tank so it can no longer be used, as sometimes AI will try and get back into a damaged vehicle, so remove the vehicle, they can't get in and kill you with it.

It makes perfect sense from a tactical perspective. Think about it. Destroy the weapon, it can't be used. Simple. Same with tanks and so on, they'll destroy the tank so it can no longer be used, as sometimes AI will try and get back into a damaged vehicle, so remove the vehicle, they can't get in and kill you with it.

I have to agree.

When i get an my friendly AI (humvee) to target an enemy it totally owns it..

Same thing when my team mate sniper (AI) used all its whole round on a jeep with a machine gun mounted on it. he was equiped with a M107.. pistols.gif

well sometimes the AI is too gungho I flew a Chopper by an AI group and went 2000m from then behind a hill got out to assault a different group the same group i flew over ended up all standing around my chopper like 3ft away and stairing at it and I was able to kill them all without them targeting me

It may make sense to destroy them, but not when there are still enemies shooting at you, and that's what I've seen the AI do. They don't mind wasting all their ammo to take out an unmanned crew-served weapon or vehicle.

I have to agree.

Same thing when my team mate sniper (AI) used all its whole round on a jeep with a machine gun mounted on it. he was equiped with a M107.. pistols.gif

From a tactical view, it's better to steal a working vehicle, than to destroy it.

No matter what, you don't wanna waste your ammo on an empty m2 post, if the enemy is shooting at you.

well sometimes the AI is too gungho I flew a Chopper by an AI group and went 2000m from then behind a hill got out to assault a different group the same group i flew over ended up all standing around my chopper like 3ft away and stairing at it and I was able to kill them all without them targeting me

I've actually had that happen too. There were a bunch of cobras flying around and it got hit by enough MG rounds to knock it out of the sky. A few minutes later I looked at it through binoculars and it was surrounded.

so how can we overcome this? i tried the trigger trick... but it doesnt work every time... i put it in the editor.. test it once... it seems okey.. then i abort and preview it again, sometimes it works and sometimes it isnt...

another thing.. why does the abrams shoot the brdm with MG? is it because brdm is a car class? that damn 'car' wasted half of my platoon because the m1 that suppose to provide us with heavy firepower decided to shoot it wih MG... thus taking a long time to kill the BRDM... if its brdm with atgm... then, the m1 will die pretty quick

Quote[/b] ]setdamage 0 command wouldnt destroy it, it would bring it back alive

Doh' yeah my mistake I meant setdammage 1.

No way - in combat you haven't got so much time (like AI in ArmA icon_rolleyes.gif ) to disable static weapons - think of enemies around/threat. On the other hand you may use those abandoned static weapons....

Walker thats simple when you have very small AI team but with 11 AI-soldiers in one team or different AI groups...

Should be more like: if static weapons are manned by enemy then shoot at else fire (highest/soldiers/vehicles...) threat. BIS have no military advisor or the devs don't like to do such AI improvements??

I have to agree.

I love when something is clearly broken or wrong and people flock to defend it with erroneous conclusions that it's right.

When I saw the first post I was going to write a prediction that fans would come and say it's perfectly tactical and realistic and nothing should be changed. Looks like I came here a little late. confused_o.gif

in a way.. it does make sense to totally destroy the gun.. but i think the execution is flawed imho...

while it does make sense to destroy it, it doesnt make sense to keep shooting at it in a middle of a firefight.. when its clearly seen the gun no longer pose a significant threat (unmanned).. besides, wouldnt satchels be much more effective than bullets? much smaller bang than the satchels ofcourse.. dont want to overkill tounge2.gif

Hi all

The point is when I am in command I have never ever experienced units firing on a target that is unocupied by live enemy when I have wanted them to stop.

The 3 button presses plus a double press of the first button in some circumstanses is very easy. It takes less than 1 second to issue the order. Telling all units to disengage is the easiest option and it has zero effect on any troops that are engaging live enemy, the AI is quite bright in that way.

If you know the unit(s): [F#] Or  :[`] (For all units in my group) double press [`] if the unit is not in your group, then [3] [6] Try it, I bet even Celery can do it in less than 1 second.

In fact I seem to remember it is part of the ArmA training mission.

Real live officers and NCOs have to do this, soldiers are often trigger happy it is part of their operant conditioning, it is down to the officer to learn to control them.

In real life they often will keep firing on a target long after it is dead, I can point to several videos on the web but will not do so here as it is against the rules. There are also several rescent contractor incidents that show how bad fire discipline can be when there is not a proper chain of command and command and control. sad_o.gif

Calling me Fanboy to dis my argument because I just tell them to use disengage is somewhat lame.  sad_o.gif

Sadly Walker

Why is everyone pointing fingers at the a.i. huh.gif ?

This might be another configuration... thing.

The a.i. do what they are programed to do, if they are blue they will atack red. If a vehicle is empty perhaps it shouldnt be considered red?

green - friend

red - enemy

white - empty or dead

Dont dead vehicles/objects switch to civilian side? Maybe empty vehicles should become civilian too..

I believe the leader of the vehicle (usually commander or driver) side is taken into effect on the vehicle.

I found that AI shoot vehicles with their engine on - even if your not in it, however turning the engine off and getting out stops them from what I have seen.

The amount of casualties our team has had from taking fire, ejecting out (leaving engine on) then being next to the exploding fireball Humvee, which has just taken an RPG because an AI shot the car lol