Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

rstratton, please learn to use the "edit" button. Do not post a new post if the last post is by yourself. For more information, please read the forum rules. smile_o.gif

Many thanks for those links there rstratton. I presume these models are free for anyone to use as long as they're for non commercial usage? In any case, those won't (regretfully) be particularly useful for me at the time being unless someone can convert them for ArmA, I have no time to spend on learning Oxygen (yet).

Many thanks for those links there rstratton. I presume these models are free for anyone to use as long as they're for non commercial usage? In any case, those won't (regretfully) be particularly useful for me at the time being unless someone can convert them for ArmA, I have no time to spend on learning Oxygen (yet).

yes they are free sorry @ moderator wont happen again. there a tons of freeware models out there.

I say you don't change this city to any sort of Iraqish feel. This is Saudi Arabia, and it's not Iraq. No matter how much people would want it.

I find it unfortunate that people can't accept a mapmakers decision to make a Saudi map instead of an Iraqi map.

There will be enough Iraqi maps as time goes by. That much I am pretty much sure about.

For now? I'm damn glad I re-introduced Opteryx to OFP. The community needs a map like this. No joking.

you made a great job !

and no matter if it's a saudi city, it's an awesome map ! wink_o.gif

Just a quick thanks and job welldone Opteryx, had afew games lastnight and it ran really well with an impressive layout. thumbs-up.gif

yeah me and a load of -{GOL}- members were playing this big mission on the map to take out 2 shilkas on the outskirts of the town and to get to one to the other you have to go through the city and with AI all over the roofs and in doors its very hard. Once the 2 shilkas were destroyed we had recoved word of a big quick reaction invasion force on route. We soon learned 34 T72s and 2 Mi17s of Specnatz were on its way and soon enough the town was crawling with tanks and more enemy units and we had to evade all these units though the streets and get back to our striker 2 never made it, but the rest of us got into a striker and started to bomb it down Red 1 (I named one of the main highways in the mission) and we had RPGs coming off the roofs at us was very intense and just as we got to green 1 (First Roundabout into the city) we got blown away by a T72, it was soo close and soo tense.. AMAZING MAP!!! and no lagg notworthy.gif

I hope this is ok - if not I apologize in advance - I'm new around here.

smile_o.gif

I made some maps with a bunch of streetnames.

Somewhat like this, although this was from an early version.

SakMap_T_q4_bis.jpg

THANKS Opteryx for the img warning! :thumbs:

3.3 mb download {Edit2: looks like mediafire is laboring - will try another upload}

Upload2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajtspd9mcsc

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ymgyz9yynt

Edit: I can make the psds available, too if someone is interested.

Hate to say it, but 'english-type' street names would be a great addition.

hehehe

It is HARD coming up with names! biggrin_o.gif

Edit: uploaded the psds-

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vzs6xzm2ft

Basically, if you have photoshop (or I think gimp will do this, too, to the psds) you can go into the layers that have the street names with the text tool and edit the names.

Oh - and MUCH thanks to Opteryx for the awesome map. I don't care if the inspiration was Saudi, Iraqi, Tahitian or Martian. smile_o.gif The map. just. rocks.

smile_o.gif

LOL, I particularly like "Hurryup Highway". smile_o.gif

-edit-

TRexian hurry up and resize that pic bellow 100 kb or the mods will annihilate you!

Thanks Opteryx. smile_o.gif

Took different pic/resized/cropped and I'm at 91kb. smile_o.gifthumbs-up.giffirefoxlover.gif

You do not see much of the island itself; just wanted to thank you for getting me to like desert combat thanks to this island (and God knows, I always hated desert islands) rofl.gif  

arma2xr1.jpg

pistols.gif  notworthy.gif

Honestly, I'm perplexed by all the positive feedback I've seen about this release. I have read quite a lot on some non English forums and feedback seems quite positive there too. Never though I'd get this good feedback at all, especially considering I personally do not view the beta release to be at any aesthetical level I want it yet.

Thanks you all very much, it is indeed a good source of inspiration and motivation for me.

Well looking at this picture im about to post you did a great job for a pre-beta.

SakakahAlJawf.jpg

BTW: Its real name is spelt like this...

Sakakah Al Jouf

or

Sakakah Al Jawf

you get differnt results.

Actually it's spelled like this.

Sorry this forum doesn't handle Arabic letters.

my team is looking for coop missions to play on this map.

if you have some links, I thank you wink_o.gif

Hmm, can someone confirm if they've been able to run this on a dedicated server? If so, are signature checks on?