Sign in to follow this  
rocket

Oil Rig for ArmA

Well, now there is a 90 degree arc to fly into, rather than the corridor before. Now there is a great "escape" surface is something would go wrong with the landing, so I think it's pretty good. Pilots usually do very careful approaches anyway  thumbs-up.gif

Agree.

And icemotoboy is going to limited in how large (or how many pieces) he can make this. Moving the pad more will require a new section no doubt.

Have you considered adding some sounds to it?

Very good point. I briefly thought about it, my thinking is too place sound objects via a script when the object is loaded. I've had great success with some sounds I've made for maps/addons I've made previously so don't see this as a problem. I'll put at least a few sounds in the alpha.

Have you come up with any ideas about the lighting?

At the moment I have some reference material that indeed indicates that the rigs are lit up like a christmas tree. I haven't yet begun to research placing lights on models, so I haven't given it much thought beyond a desire to have the rig well lit (especially inside the building and around the Helipad). I will try and get one or two lights into my Alpha release, but it is unlikely to have many until the Beta.

Add more pipes

Definately a good point. Also fairly low-cost in terms of poly's too. I am going to add some cables lying around on the deck, to break it up, and some plugs to walls etc that have cables going to them. Hopefully this will break up the bland areas of the model. Because the main building is now conrete, I am going to be adding steel reinforcing to the edges of the building, which should further break up the surfaces.

Cargo Containers

I've had a small play and I may largely leave them as they are for the moment, at least for the alpha, as to make them any bigger I will need to fiddle around with their placement and make the deck bigger, and the exercise becomes more complicated and delays my alpha release. Will probably leave the containers as they are until after I get feedback on the alpha.

Ladders up containers is something I can do, will experiement with adding that for one of the containers for the alpha. I originally built the rig with almost exclusively ladders, as that was what my reference material showed. However, I quickly realised there was major usability issues with this and changed the majority of them to stairs. I even put a spiral staircase in there, but took it out due to a huge poly count (I may put it back in there!wink_o.gif

Fuel Containers

Will be experiementing with these, and at the very least, adding some additional support columns to ensure it realistically withstands the weight. Hopefully with some extra supports it looks realistic enough, and I can leave it substantially as it is for the alpha.

Helipad

I've definately seen plenty of reference material that indicates that helipads are placed well off the side of the rig, usually by some pretty crazy/intense support struts. I chose my initial reference material on the basis it was simple and boxy, hence everything is pretty much on top of each other. I've shifted it out as far as I dare at this stage, I think it needs ALOT of helicopter approach testing to determine if the current clearance is sufficient... it may very well not be.

As Gnat noted I am cutting pretty close to the line with size of objects and triangle count, but I could handle moving the pad off and placing struts. A problem would be what to put in the space left on the deck.

Detail increases

I am planning on continuing with detail increases including:

* Tools on floor/decks

* Piles of unused cabling on decks

* Wooden crates

* More signage

* Fire extinguishers

I'm also planning to spend considerable time on the interior of the building, with particular focus on the kitchen and living areas.

Just thought id pop in and congratulate you on one of the best looking addons ive seen for arma. Very impressed with model and textures. Keep up the good work chap! Cant wait for the alpha! notworthy.gif

This looks so good that I am going to kill my dog! ( I dont even have a dog! )

I really want to put it near rahmadi and begin the biggest oil rig freedom mission ever! I am sure going to make MP's out of this! thank you for ur time! and keep up the awesome work! thumbs-up.gifsmile_o.gifinlove.gifwink_o.gif

Many thanks for the kind words and feedback.

To ease the process of people requesting features, and to assist with the Alpha and Beta testing, I have created a project site at http://tools.assembla.com/usec_oilrig/wiki and amended the first post of this topic.  I have put an FAQ and milestones (including estimated delivery dates) on the wiki.

Feel free to keep posting questions and ideas, and I will continue to put the odd update here.  I will put the majority of the screenshots on the other site to ease the burden on forum lookers.

If you would like to help with ideas, use the Request a feature page.

Can't quite see it from my screenshots, alas, but there is currently one ladder that reaches down to the water (and below depending on tide).  The pontoon idea is great!  I will see what I can do in the next update, as I planned on redoing the base next.

Just thought I would mention this incase you had forgotten...anyone inserting from the water will really need the pontoon due to the fact when a soldier gets in the water looses most of his weapons to the water bug.

BTW...excellent progress bro!! It's really looking first rate. Can't wait to insert my Unit's Spec Ops guys on that baby via Littlebird!

Looking forward to this.

I remember playing splinter cell which included a oil rig mission.

There are a load of pictures on this walkthrough guide that might give you some new ideas.

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/splintercell/mission3/mission3.htm

On a personnel note, does it have any working lights? I think small ones above doors or passage ways illuminated green or yellow would give it a lot of atmosphere for night missions.

If I remember, mapfact released a nifty light pack with various light sources and colours.

A Big Shell, any body? We have already Sigma's Tanker, so we could do a ArmA: MGS2 :P

Going back to the topic, a beta or semthing like that? I have to admit that seeing those pics i NEED to have a good firefight in there, and i want to see how big it is.

I have a question, it's destructible?

Looking forward to this.

I remember playing splinter cell which included a oil rig mission.

There are a load of pictures on this walkthrough guide that might give you some new ideas.

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/splintercell/mission3/mission3.htm

On a personnel note, does it have any working lights? I think small ones above doors or passage ways illuminated green or yellow would give it a lot of atmosphere for night missions.

If I remember, mapfact released a nifty light pack with various light sources and colours.

To add to this...I remember the entry tools addon that was released had some great IR strobes that could be placed around the helipad and on top of the crane for obticle avoidance for night insertions

Ladder entry from water

One of the big problems I currently have is that when you use the ladder from the water, your swiming animation comes back once you get to the top. I have some ideas about a way around this - but as was noted above it might be best if I just create a pontoon as the point of entry anyway.

On a personnel note, does it have any working lights?

I've made a note to take a look at lights, scheduled for the beta release. I may place one or two lights for the alpha to test how things are going. Thanks for the advice on where to look for lighting packs, I'll download them and get in touch with the authors.

I have a question, it's desctructable?

Because the model is already split out into four seperate objects, I can assign desctructable components. For the Beta release I have a task assigned to create seperate destructable components.

Is there a Beta?

Yes and there is also a semi-open alpha. Most likely I will require people to register on the trac site to participate. For more details about release dates, check out the roadmap.

Splinter Cell reference material

Those images are great! Definately be of use.

Thanks guys and gals.

Why don't you add some flow bellow the ladder?

It has to be high enough so you can stand up and do the proper animations.

And, the boats can "stop" (i don't know the english word for "encayar", Spanish and i'm too lazy to look it) in that zone too.

Benoist:

Good tips, will experiement with the pontoon/ladder base for the Alpha.

Note to everyone:

Please feel free to use the Request a Feature page if you have any ideas about things you would like to see added.

I have already had some outstanding ones, including the suggestion of a command center which got me thinking I could put a CCTV script in, and have people be able to view the cameras from the command center.

I will probably not be accepting feature ideas once I release the alpha, and instead focus on getting what I already have scoped in. If you would like to help, please spend a few minutes and submit your ideas. Be sure to include your username and you will receive a mention in the credits.

Update:

oilrig_071008_1.jpg

Alpha Build is now 45% complete.  Many thanks to feedback so far.  Still on track for 12 October Alpha.  Thanks to all those who have emailed/pm'd me about alpha/beta testing.  I will reply as soon as I have a chance with the details.

More screenshots at http://tools.assembla.com/usec_oilrig/wiki/CurrentScreenshots

Very cool addon.

Nice to see more "buildings" addons for ArmA.

Absolutly!

This looks awesome! Very nice! thumbs-up.gif

MfG Medicus

hey, this addon will rock ! will u add any additional function to it ( scripts ), like you can turn on/off lights etc?

Nice to see more "buildings" addons for ArmA.

I actually think static scenery is the best place to start with ArmA modelling, as it gets you familiar with all the features, is scaleable, but you don't have to worry about the same handling/physics issues as with other addons.

Starting to look really nice. Are you making the walls concrete though? May be right, but seems odd.

Great job so far.

Starting to look really nice. Are you making the walls concrete though? May be right, but seems odd.

I'm not entirely sure.

I put that texture there because it looked better than what I had. I am playing with a number of different textures at the moment, hoping to find the right combination. I think, ultimately, metal may be the best way to go as most of my reference material shows the extensive use of metal panels rather than concrete slabs.

Anyone have any thoughts re: Conrete vs Metal walls?

any chance choppers can refuel, repair at the  oil rig?  smile_o.gif

Yep, thats a feature that was requested. I haven't decided if it will be in Alpha or Beta, but it will be in the final release.

I like it, looks really promising smile_o.gif

Looking forward to see this in action!

I can imagine some interessting SEAL action in MP on there thumbs-up.gif