Sign in to follow this  
bigdog632

1.09 question

Quote[/b] ]

I'm not so sure most are pleased with a game that at any given (frequent) moment, user input is disabled and thousands of buildings spawn all over the place. This is BIS's problem, this is ArmA. If this is a problem, and you do not like it.. that is another thing to add to the dissapointment list. If the game didn't have hackers/cheaters nearly as frequent as we do now, many would have little to complain about. The other bugs will probably be fixed soon enough.. but I doubt the commitment bis has to its multiplayer base... especially with the arma2 announcement.

If they fixed the hacker issue + parachute bug.. I'm happy. I never asked for more features and yet you assume "that our greed for more" is what is causing the community to fall apart? No way.. It's the horrendus malfunctions with the coding already in place. This game needs to be fixed with the features already implemented before new stuff is added... You add more crap, there will be more problems.. I say fix the issues now, add your switches and new vehicles and functions later. But I guess taking Rahmadi, reshaping it like an oval, adding a city instead of bare grassland and calling it Porto and using this as a major selling point in GQ features.. is what they think we need.

How is this relevent to 1.09? You see the forum for this kind of post. Please use it. I do not want to sift through this tripe in every thread.

This game isn't supposed to be a game that holds their hand... If people don't like it, they can go play BF2 and CSS. I'll be glad they left. If ArmA had OFP graphics but had the gameplay features added, then hurray.

Thats exactly my point, every time I saw a "Controls are too hard" thread I just kind of shook my head. In playing the game, even with the AH-64's (no not mapfacts) with sensitive controls (but more maneuverable) its more sensitive to touch then the cobra but with practice its not all that hard, you just have to get to know each and every aircraft and move the joystick and or mouse less and of course actually practice, you may not learn it in five minutes, hell I'm still trying to learn to speed past canopies using the PNVS and its difficult for me and I'v been practicing for atleast 7+ hours.

Plane controls aren't all that difficult either, infact the only problem I have with planes is not so much their lack of ability to turn like helicopters, but how you get stuck in a 40 degree angle of climb and yet you climb very little or none at all. But I'm not going to cry over it, theres already plenty of that being done but in threads like the dissapointment thread this lesson is not there, its the same thing over and over.

All in all many wanted OFP's flight model back because it was supposedly more realistic, I think its due to simplicity considering OFP had a ground hovering feature and helicopters weren't exactly maneuverable.

All in all I'm rather hoping the game becomes more and more complex as things go by or atleast addon making can become more complex if the user desires for his or her to be, the more realistic and complex the better imo, I love a good challenge, if I want a simple W,A,S,D and mouse button game to be all I have to do to move around then I'll play bf2. It would be nice if others could learn this isn't a typical run of the mil shooter, nor does the community WANT it to be.

If ArmA had OFP graphics but had the gameplay features added, then hurray.

..I'm starting to feel that way. Beyond the graphics (which I have set to low due to the lack of stability), what is the advantage playing ArmA? It's starting to feel like a step-back. 1.96 OFP with SebNam\FFUR is looking mighty attractive..

It's ironic that the mod release I anticipate most is basically OFP 1.0 recreated for ArmA.

I'm still a fan and follow the game everyday and own two copies..but, it can be hard ignoring the spreading malaise.

I hope there will be some new objects, cars, infantry or whatever... not only boring bug-fixes of bugs i have never had...

Well some people could be happy about that changelog but i'm not..

Let's see what the new patch will change, hopefully some new stuff.

Maybe next christmas xmas_o.gif

Lol,worst patch ever...If they don't fix things like for people with 2 GB's ram or more have to use -maxmem command and also to optimize it for dualcore processors and for the 8*** series cards I say BI has one of the worst patching systems!Should have sticked to OFP firefoxlover.gif !

If ArmA had OFP graphics but had the gameplay features added, then hurray.

..I'm starting to feel that way. Beyond the graphics (which I have set to low due to the lack of stability), what is the advantage playing ArmA? It's starting to feel like a step-back. 1.96 OFP with SebNam\FFUR is looking mighty attractive..

It's ironic that the mod release I anticipate most is basically OFP 1.0 recreated for ArmA.

I'm still a fan and follow the game everyday and own two copies..but, it can be hard ignoring the spreading malaise.

Agreed, i remember the days off playing bomberman over and over again, i miss my ghillie suit also! armed assault without the graphics is just ofp, look at the landscape/ soldiers then squint your eyes. this wouldn't be so bad if they had of given arma some kickass AI or a working easy to use artillery system or steerable parachutes or a harriers that dont try to drop lgbs from 150 meters then crash into the nearest hill just like the a10's did 6 years ago in ofp

Lol,worst patch ever...If they don't fix things like for people with 2 GB's ram or more have to use -maxmem command and also to optimize it for dualcore processors and for the 8*** series cards I say BI has one of the worst patching systems!Should have sticked to OFP firefoxlover.gif !

Dual Core Optimizations... -- You might want to do some reading into this aspect, especially what has been said by the developpers about this etc.

Maxmem and 8*** cards, agreed.

Worst Patching systems - what are you on about...

Im sure the next patches will settle a lot of the problems ppl are having. Past patches have already resolved a lot.

Quote[/b] ]..I'm starting to feel that way. Beyond the graphics (which I have set to low due to the lack of stability), what is the advantage playing ArmA? It's starting to feel like a step-back. 1.96 OFP with SebNam\FFUR is looking mighty attractive..

[*] Many more units on the field possible than OFP

[*] Larger Islands

[*] More detailed Islands in terms of heights/depts etc.

[*] Insects

[*] More proper swimming (without need of an invisible vehicle)

[*] More and better control options (e.g. push a key twice for different actions)

[*] Leaning by default

[*] HDR-lighting (not speaking about the graphical improved, but the tactical one)

[*] Voicechat on Sockets

[*] Support of displays

[*] Better (more expanded), faster and more optimized scripting language

[*] FSM for AI

[*] More flexible configs

Some of listed features are still bugged here and there, give them some more time to patch and then IMHO all in all, ArmA has a lot more improvements than just Graphics.

I'm very pleased by the graphical improvements btw... For me that area was the most important change needed in OFP, and imho we got a lot more smile_o.gif

Also IMHO ppl are comparing bananas with apples... OFP with all it's mods and addons might've been ahead of vanilla ArmA in some ways. But there are many default ArmA aspects that have improved a lot over default OFP, and even over modded OFP.. IMHO it's not all that bad as some ppl try to make it look smile_o.gif

Though bugged it was and still is in many areas wink_o.gif

I agree mostly with you, sickboy, but I must say I'm still bewildered as to how BIS managed to break things that worked perfectly well before, as Commander-598 already stated. I wonder what kind of plane-flying xnodunitx does, because if I try to pull the stunts in ArmA which were a delight to pull of in OFP, then mostly I'm left either stalling or smacking into the ground because my trailing camera view slewed to a sight to front to back instead of back to front... And that is just plain crap, since I managed to pull off such stunts in OFP be it in a Valkyrie or in a Cessna. As for the helicopters, they were perfect in OFP as well for what they were, in ArmA they'd still be somehow flyable (albeit with the rudder issue) - but the plane model needs to get back to OFP, which albeit not perfect was as well perfect for what it was...

About the flightmodel...

I personally loved the flightmodel in OFP for it's simplicity, and the fact that nearly anyone could fly it. However, nowadays it simply seems to cost some more time and then still everyone can fly, just be a tad more careful smile_o.gif

IMHO the reason why things changed is cause ppl demanded a more complex or realistic flightmodel. Being not a reallife pilot I have no clue whatsoever if they succeeded apart from the fact that it seems more complex smile_o.gif

About the tail cam, this seems more a bug than a design choice smile_o.gif

BUZZARD @ Sep. 05 2007,17:37)]I wonder what kind of plane-flying xnodunitx does, because if I try to pull the stunts in ArmA which were a delight to pull of in OFP, then mostly I'm left either stalling or smacking into the ground because my trailing camera view slewed to a sight to front to back instead of back to front... And that is just plain crap, since I managed to pull off such stunts in OFP be it in a Valkyrie or in a Cessna. As for the helicopters, they were perfect in OFP as well for what they were, in ArmA they'd still be somehow flyable (albeit with the rudder issue) - but the plane model needs to get back to OFP, which albeit not perfect was as well perfect for what it was...

I have a horrible skill of plane flying, types being A-10, AV-8B and fz_F18E and F. Can't say I know too much about the tailcam problem because 90% of the time I'm flying in first person. I'd debate but I don't want to drag the topic back off again.

In regards to the rudder issue, i got suma to understand that rudders can turn aircraft, and it's now in the internal bugtracker as 'low priority'. dunno what that means, or if it will affect helicopters exactly, but at least it's a start. check the 'aircraft rudders' thread for more info.

on the cameras, the problem is that the camera likes to stay level with the aircaft - it's not a chase cam, which makes it hard when the aircraft is twisting around doing loops and aileron rolls etc. - the camera likes to do it's own thing.

on topic, i guess we really won't know what'll be in 1.09 until it releases - it's the kind of thing no-one will really tell you until you get the full changelog inside the patch.

1.09 and then a "gold" edition?

i would not call this gold edition, its rather a finished beta, or initial release.

If it would only be arma with 1.09 then you might be right even though I disagree. But reading a little further ahead or a bit more back you will notice it's ArmA v1.09 + Queens Gambit == Gold Release.

Besides a game usually "goes gold" when it's release ready, so in that light, it should be the correct term, right? smile_o.gif

They should release a freakin pumpgun, god dammit! That's what i need biggrin_o.gif

Besides all of the bug-fixes of course rofl.gif

@sickboy

I think BIS vision somehow got blunted since OFP. They are definitely concentrating their efforts on the wrong aspects of the game. I completely agree that BIS completely buggered up the things that were so brilliantly done in OFP, those little details that were setting it apart from any other game titles out there.

One small example: Wheel damage model in cars and trucks - so simple so perfect in OFP; a wheel gets shot up, it sinks into the ground. Isn't it what happens when you puncture a wheel in real life? In ArmA IT TURNS RUSTY!!!! OH my god why!?

Another thing: tracers. Sickboy did an awesome addon for the tracers. Tell me how difficult was it? Don't you think BIS could have done it? - instead of lets say animating the insects or grass blades. How vital is the presence of insects in a milsim game? We were promised realistic weapons' balistics and recoil model after their real life counterparts. Instead we get friggin' tracers in sniper rifles?! I know it was partly changed, but it took them sooo long to do something that was a no brainer. That tells me they aren't really concentrating on things they ought to concentrate on.

I was whatching the latest ArmA 2 video - BIS nowdays is bent on introducing a realistic, true-to-life rabbit motion animation. Ladies and gentlemen, we now can see a rabbit running in the grass in "slow mo" WOW. I personally don't give a sh** about rabbits - when will we have a skeleton animation in ArmA? Don't need ragdoll or havoc, just give us an ability to snap out of those stupid freeze-ups when we can't do anithing until rpg/magazine reload animation is finished; or how about the ability to move with a binocular.

Hey!!!! Hasn't this thread like... I don't know.. gone WAY off topic?

I think Shadowmaster AKA BigDog got his question answered within the first few posts smile_o.gif

yep....i just didint know how to lock it lol....so if an admin would please before this turns into a flame war or BIS bashing which was NOT my intention

@sickboy

I think BIS vision somehow got blunted since OFP. They are definitely concentrating their efforts on the wrong aspects of the game. I completely agree that BIS completely buggered up the things that were so brilliantly done in OFP, those little details that were setting it apart from any other game titles out there.

One small example: Wheel damage model in cars and trucks - so simple so perfect in OFP; a wheel gets shot up, it sinks into the ground. Isn't it what happens when you puncture a wheel in real life? In ArmA IT TURNS RUSTY!!!! OH my god why!?

Another thing: tracers. Sickboy did an awesome addon for the tracers. Tell me how difficult was it? Don't you think BIS could have done it? - instead of lets say animating the insects or grass blades. How vital is the presence of insects in a milsim game? We were promised realistic weapons' balistics and recoil model after their real life counterparts. Instead we get friggin' tracers in sniper rifles?! I know it was partly changed, but it took them sooo long to do something that was a no brainer. That tells me they aren't really concentrating on things they ought to concentrate on.

I was whatching the latest ArmA 2 video - BIS nowdays is bent on introducing a realistic, true-to-life rabbit motion animation. Ladies and gentlemen, we now can see a rabbit running in the grass in "slow mo" WOW. I personally don't give a sh** about rabbits - when will we have a skeleton animation in ArmA? Don't need ragdoll or havoc, just give us an ability to snap out of those stupid freeze-ups when we can't do anithing until rpg/magazine reload animation is finished; or how about the ability to move with a binocular.

OMG, teh wheel turns rusty crazy_o.gif !

Good job mr. negativity, now on the other hand vehicles and buildings no longer crumble into distorted cardboard when destroyed and bridges colapse but ahh the little details icon_rolleyes.gif .

And yes, im looking forward to shoot some rabbids in Arma 2 pistols.gif .

I don't much care about 1.09. Mostlikely it doesn't (or even can) include anything that i would want ArmA to have. Game runs fine, no crashes, no major things wrong, which could be fixed. AI is only major issue... Most likely i have to wait (and hope) for ArmA2 to get these from BIS. Modders are another thing, which is offtopic.

Everything fixed beoynd 1.08 is ofcourse bonus, but my ArmA experience doesn't most likely get remarkable boost.

After some working with the controls I can now fly helicopters, though it's still a bit twitchy...

My main issue is that somehow the controls for planes/helicopters got botched... By messing with my controls to OFP chopper defaults, my planes nose goes down when I press "W" rather than increases speed....and "E" does nothing... I think "Q" and "Z" were sort of universal "Up" and "Down" in OFP, but they aren't here.

That brings me to another point, why are infantry controls so different from OFP (They do the same thing, but have totally different control layouts) and where is my "haul ass" key?

That brings me to another point, why are infantry controls so different from OFP (They do the same thing, but have totally different control layouts) and where is my "haul ass" key?

It is because we wanted to implement some more functionality than was present in OFP (most of all leaning, and improved control over crouching and walking), and this forced us to change the layout siginificantly.

It is because we wanted to implement some more functionality than was present in OFP (most of all leaning, and improved control over crouching and walking), and this forced us to change the layout siginificantly.

Well,compared to games like STALKER the controls in ArmA are really comfortable and enjoyable.

my only gripe right now patchwise may not be BIS problem but the 8800 issue is rather annoying

if its BIS problem i hope to <insert deity here> that 1.09 fixes it if its a diver issue i hope to <insert deity here> that the responsible parties fix it SOON

yep....i just didint know how to lock it lol....so if an admin would please before this turns into a flame war or BIS bashing which was NOT my intention

Seconded.. wink_o.gif

Agreed. Having two keys mapped to leaning left and right takes up two keys that used to be used for other functions in OFP. Which is why I love key binding so very... very much. Oh, and thanks for the eject button, you have saved my life on many occasions smile_o.gif

-------- Can we save some of this discussion for a more relevant thread? Thaaaaankx!

After some working with the controls I can now fly helicopters, though it's still a bit twitchy...

My main issue is that somehow the controls for planes/helicopters got botched... By messing with my controls to OFP chopper defaults, my planes nose goes down when I press "W" rather than increases speed....and "E" does nothing... I think "Q" and "Z" were sort of universal "Up" and "Down" in OFP, but they aren't here.

i had to change about 40% of the default controls just so i felt compertable playing the game.

now the game is perfect. binding is great for people that actually use it (i personally don't)

you just need to edit your controls.