Sign in to follow this  
Spinor

CoC Command Engine X

Is it possible, to give both sides a command interface in a mp-game?

if no: is it planned?

Just asking...great work so far!

notworthy.gif

Afaik it is already possible but not thoroughly tested and there are obvious and known bugs like that East and West can see each others waypoint markers.

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible, to give both sides a command interface in a mp-game?

if no: is it planned?

Not much to add what Nepumuk said...CEX control on opposing sides is already possible, with the 'slight' glitch that you can see what the enemy general is planning smile_o.gif. This is already fixed for the upcoming version.

BTW, there can be any number of players in CEX, each with its own set of subordinate units. CEX commanders can also be arranged in a command hierarchy. CEX is fully flexible in that regard.

Quote[/b] ]Best of all would be to add some AAR possibilities...

AAR at the group/squad level and above is not much of a problem. CEX already tracks squad positions and status.

BTW, there can be any number of players in CEX, each with its own set of subordinate units. CEX commanders can also be arranged in a command hierarchy. CEX is fully flexible in that regard.
Quote[/b] ]Best of all would be to add some AAR possibilities...

AAR at the group/squad level and above is not much of a  problem. CEX already tracks squad positions and status.

WOW. just wow. This is really great. Can't wait till I have a chance to try this out in coop.

notworthy.gif

So commander orders his platoon to move, platoon leader chec his map and then orders his squads and squad leaders get waypoints showing them where they should go.

Can the lower ranks see the whole battle plan? And can the commander see what specific orders platoon leader gives to the squads? Or does each only see his "level" of command - the orders he gave?

CTI will NEVER be the same when this gets into it. Holy Shianna this has possibilities that dwarf anything currently on the planet. What a command tool for AI or human. notworthy.gif

is there somewhere we can dl some more missions for this? I cant really go back to playing normal arma and i dont have the time at the moment to sit down and make any missions.

Here is a small platoon sized mission I made quickly:

Monte Yorito

The player(s) is in command of a mechanized recon platoon and has to clear Yoro and nearby Monte Yorito on south Sahrani.

It has no fancy story and the briefing only tells you the absolute necessary as I did not have time to write it completely.

It is not properly tested in the means of balancing and difficulty. It is designed mainly for coop play but it should work in singleplayer also.

Installation: extract the .pbo file into MP Missions or Missions folder and open it via the Missions screen or the MP Editro in Arma.

Hi all

I have placed the promised All Arms Battle group mission on the forums for download

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1148900

I will try to put up some videos of the mission though there is nothing to stop any one else doing the same some bug reports or even some AARs would be nice but please put those in the user mission thread.

The mission was wrtten as a load test but we have actualy gone beyond this level so it is a bit redundant. I still thought putting the mission up was important as many people do not understand just what ArmA with the CEX is capable of.

Kind Regards walker

Has anyone tried out my mission yet?

I just tried to played my mission with 3 other guys in MP and we had the problem that only the host had access to the command engine, the clients could not use the interface is this a known bug?

Has anyone tried out my mission yet?

I would like to, but an advertisment keeps popping up over the download button.

stun, you might be able to close the advertisement by cklicking on the top right corner where it says "schließen".

Unfortuantely the mission seems not to work in MP and I don't know why.

Hmm, i have the same problem with CEX that i had with the CM:SF demo, the camera response to the WASD keys acts a little erratic, i think this might be a hw or driver related problem.

CEX is a sweet piece of work but i think it would work better with specific units (lower detail) and a more open island.

Keep up the great work guys

thumbs-up.gif .

I cant start any mission, neither from singleplayer-mission nor MP or Editor. It always pops up the following error message, after seemingly loading the mission. It shows the error right after having loaded and before the screen changes to the mission, it jumps back to mission selectionmenu.

Its from the german version, so the errormsg is german of course...

But it means something like this <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">You cannot play/edit this mission , because it depends on downloaded Contents, which have been deleted.CoC_CommandEngineX, coc_interfaceengine

Screenshot _ german

I have a modfolder @CEX into which i copied the addons folder from the downloaded archive. Running a shortcut with -mod=@CEX thus.

Sorry, I am a bit busy with RL at the moment...

Quote[/b] ]I cant start any mission, neither from singleplayer-mission nor MP or Editor. It always pops up the following error message, after seemingly loading the mission. It shows the error right after having loaded and before the screen changes to the mission, it jumps back to mission selectionmenu.

It seems that, for some reason, the addon coc_cex.pbo (it contains both CoC_CommandEngineX and CoC_InterfaceEngine) is not loaded from the mod folder. All I can suggest is check your shortcut command option '-mod=@CEX' or, for a test, put all CoC addons into your main addon folder.

Quote[/b] ]Can the lower ranks see the whole battle plan? And can the commander see what specific orders platoon leader gives to the squads? Or does each only see his "level" of command - the orders he gave?

Most of this is currently under construction, especially the ability to track friendly units which are not under your command (as an option assignable by mission designers). At the very least, a CEX commander will always see orders given to him by superiors, as well as be able to track all subordinates at all levels.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I've had problems ordering troops when I'm Commander of a vehicle. By clicking on the map to order movement, adjust waypoint etc... it also tells my driver to go there.

@Nepumuk

I had a look at your mission. It was fun but far too easy if you are playing against an AI opponent.

I couldn't get it to work in single player as there is no player selected. I instead tested in MP against the AI.

Part of the imbalance is due to the fact that the BMPs overpower anything that the American forces have. I was able to complete the mission without using any tactics and just sending all my units at the enemy positions. perhaps you could provide the US forces with static artillery and some tow strykers.

I liked the mission idea. good luck.

stun

Ah the reason for ArmA arrives! Everything about the Command Engine has improved over the OFP relic that I still played until this was released.

If there's one area I think could stand to use improvement, a really essential area for effective combat in OFP, is transportation. Reliable air transportation would be a nice start but I know that'd be tackling ArmAs flight problems, one option I would like is giving a transportation squad a 'Ferry' command. They can wait at the designated WP until another squad has embarked, follow waypoints and unload the cargo, follow the waypoints back and loop ... Just a thought

Thank you for the feedback stun.

The balance is definately something that has to be tweaked. How could any of your AI survive a frontal charge against enemy positions mine always get shot to bits tounge2.gif

There are supposed to be 2 to 3 HMMWV (TOW) around which should pose a threat to your BMPs but they have probability of presence xx (can't remember) so under circumstances you might not encounter any of them.

I think I am going to include General Barrons AI Artillery script (have to migrate it to Arma though and make it work in MP).

Quote[/b] ]If there's one area I think could stand to use improvement, a really essential area for effective combat in OFP, is transportation. Reliable air transportation would be a nice start but I know that'd be tackling ArmAs flight problems, one option I would like is giving a transportation squad a 'Ferry' command. They can wait at the designated WP until another squad has embarked, follow waypoints and unload the cargo, follow the waypoints back and loop ... Just a thought

Nice idea...and does not seem too difficult: A cycle/loop WP is already in the works, and the only other addition required seems to be a new WP-proceed-condition "Wait until loaded" for transport units.

If there's one area I think could stand to use improvement, a really essential area for effective combat in OFP, is transportation. Reliable air transportation would be a nice start but I know that'd be tackling ArmAs flight problems, one option I would like is giving a transportation squad a 'Ferry' command. They can wait at the designated WP until another squad has embarked, follow waypoints and unload the cargo, follow the waypoints back and loop ... Just a thought

I'm adamant this could be done with the taxiing, takeoff, ILS and landing scripts released by mandoble found HERE... Adamant.

has anybody made a 2 player version of this yet where you each command a huge army like a game of chess - if so could somebody point me toward it thanks.

Quote[/b] ]has anybody made a 2 player version of this yet where you each command a huge army like a game of chess - if so could somebody point me toward it thanks.

We are officially releasing such a mission in the next beta (ETA 4-5 days), where the most urgent MP bugs will be fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Do enemy units share information about spotted units?

No, unless, of course, the enemy units are part of a CEX command structure themselves.

Quote[/b] ]Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I've had problems ordering troops when I'm Commander of a vehicle. By clicking on the map to order movement, adjust waypoint etc... it also tells my driver to go there.

I just tried to solve this issue for some time now ... without success. It seems that even a custom map control forwards the default map command to ArmA (for the technically minded: this seems to be an issue with the OnMouseButtonDown EH...even putting in an EH return value of 'true' does not prevent this behavior). If somebody knows an easy solution please let me know.

In any case, this important issue will be fixed. If absolutely necessary, I will disable the map and use a dummy non-map control for all user interactions. This would require the manual recreation of map-dragging and map-zooming, and would need some time, though.

Quote[/b] ]has anybody made a 2 player version of this yet where you each command a huge army like a game of chess - if so could somebody point me toward it thanks.

We are officially releasing such a mission in the next beta (ETA 4-5 days), where the most urgent MP bugs will be fixed.

wow thanks looking forward to it - sounds like it will be like rome total war but in arma.