Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Beta 4

Edit: @VIPER SHIVA have a look at mapfact.net (MAP_Misc.pbo) too wink_o.gif

Oh, I know that other modders are working at these things, and I am always watching for these sorts of addons to make the gaming experience that much better. I'm just acknowledging that DMarkwick has REALLY outdone himself with this particular project.

All the third-party addon geniuses deserve their accolades- and right now, I'm making sure that this artist knows how much I appreciate his work.

Rock on people!

I've "known" DM for quite a few years, trust me;

He knows. =)

Here is the "a" release of the latest build, 4.3

Changelog reads:

4.3a improvements

Extended Init compatible. (Extended Init addon v1.1 required, and included, with this release. If you already have Extended Init eventhandler addons you can delete them from the @DMSmokeEffects Addons folder.)

Smoke grenades have AI viewblock functionality. The viewbock reacts to wind direction & strength.

A new player Action, Wind info, is added. This is useful for smoke grenade usage, as well as general realism & ballistics addons. On use it will give you the strength & direction of the wind at the time you requested it.

Frag grenades tweaked slightly to be lighter in colour.

Although extensive viewblock functionality for vehicle & building smoke is coded in, for this "a" release it is disabled for FPS concerns. Another "b" version will be released with it enabled for those who wish to try it out.

Oh, BTW peeps, the supported smokeshell list currently looks like this:

"SmokeShell", "SmokeShellRed", "SmokeShellGreen", "G_40mm_Smoke", "G_40mm_RedSmoke"

If anyone can think of any more that need to be included, please let me know ASAP.

Nicely. My only gripe is that it may take a bit long for the viewblocker to disappear at the end, either that or the AI are mcstupid. But otherwise, v. v. nice.

Nicely. My only gripe is that it may take a bit long for the viewblocker to disappear at the end, either that or the AI are mcstupid. But otherwise, v. v. nice.

The viewblock object disappears just as there's a few light puffs of smoke still visible. There's never a situation where there's viewblock without grenade smoke.

OK, as promised in the "a" release readme here's the "b" version.

Changelog:

4.3b improvements

Extended Init compatible. (Extended Init addon v1.1 required, and included, with this release. If you already have Extended Init eventhandler addons you can delete them from the @DMSmokeEffects Addons folder.)

Smoke grenades have AI viewblock functionality. The viewbock reacts to wind direction & strength.

A new player Action, Wind info, is added. This is useful for smoke grenade usage, as well as general realism & ballistics addons. On use it will give you the strength & direction of the wind at the time you requested it.

Frag grenades tweaked slightly to be lighter in colour.

Full viewblock functionality is enabled for this "b" release on most DMSmokeEffects smoke effects. During heavy battles this can drag the FPS right down, but I release this version to get general feedback and results.

To give you some idea as to the extent of the viewblock in this "b" version,

of it, with viewblocks made visible.

YAY yay.gifinlove.gif I've had a very very quick play and so far so good, when i get home from work then i will try more and bigger battles, but so far squad vs squad with VFAI/Second Suppress script + TrueMods, i've had no extra load that i could notice(b version, but i havent blown up houses and shit yet), when i get home i'll load one my BIG battles and see how it does!

Thank you! inlove.gifnotworthy.gif

Nice! But the viewblocks look a little to big? This is based from your youtube links, it looks like a burning tank gets a viewblock the size of a house. Also smoke that is very thin gets viewblocks (on the edges of a plume).

Maybe smaller viewblocks should block the heavy smoke and not block too much of AIs view?

i only wish you could release it as seperated addon.. say a "viewblock smoke grenade". so i can use it with default arma or madmatt's effects.

but decision is yours...

good job DM thumbs-up.gif

i only wish you could release it as seperated addon.. say a "viewblock smoke grenade". so i can use it with default arma or madmatt's effects.

but decision is yours...

good job DM thumbs-up.gif

I have one, a special little addon just for that purpose. When I find somewhere to put it, I'll link you in to it.

Nice! But the viewblocks look a little to big? This is based from your youtube links, it looks like a burning tank gets a viewblock the size of a house. Also smoke that is very thin gets viewblocks (on the edges of a plume).

Maybe smaller viewblocks should block the heavy smoke and not block too much of AIs view?

The problem is one of pragmatism I'm afraid. The viewblocks cannot be movement & size dynamic the way I originally intended, they are static and fixed. But obviously smoke is not, not only is it moving up but it's also being blown around by the wind, which can change from second to second. So I have to make lots of short-lasting VBs (viewblocks) as you have seen. One result of this is that if the VBs are too long lived, they clog up the FPS. If they are too short lived, they are not very effective as there's too many gaps. If they are too small, they need to be more numerous. If they are too big, They obscure too much. So getting the size & longevity right is quite hard, especially when you see some smoke randomisation gives lots of VBs to one smoke, and less VBs to another, I have to think about the overall general feel.

And the whole thing is necessarily randomised, to allow for opportunistic "glimpses" between VBs, which includes down at the bottom of the smoke volume, by the tanks etc. It's all a balancing act smile_o.gif I'm not suggesting it's perfectly balanced right now, but I am suggesting that, overall, it's a system that allows for unexpected luck, be it good or bad wink_o.gif

Seems like you put some thought and testing into it smile_o.gif I see your points.

I second that! Having stand alone working smoke grenades would be great for those with lesser hardware!

Haven't tried 4.3a/b yet but I will as soon I get a free timeslot. Working smoke grenades is a feature that should have been in ArmA from the start IMO...

Great work DMarkwick!

/KC

I have one, a special little addon just for that purpose. When I find somewhere to put it, I'll link you in to it.

That would be really nice wink_o.gif

I'm really looking forward to it. This will change and improve gameplay dramatically... Too bad BIS didn't do what most mod/addon/tweak makers did in the last few months icon_rolleyes.gif

Malick

Hi DMarkwick! Another time an excellent giant's step as every released. Thanks a lot.

Anyone have problems with DMSmokeEffects.sqs?

When I kill a tank/uaz/truck I've an error message about unexpected matrix/object/sequence depending by " iskindof "Tank" " in seventeen line of that script. I've though it's caused by the conjunction with NWD_Tank stuff or ArmAEffects but it isn't: I've the error even if I'm not usin' those addons.

Regards

Hi DMarkwick! Another time an excellent giant's step as every released. Thanks a lot.

Anyone have problems with DMSmokeEffects.sqs?

When I kill a tank/uaz/truck I've an error message about unexpected matrix/object/sequence depending by " iskindof "Tank" " in seventeen line of that script. I've though it's caused by the conjunction with NWD_Tank stuff or ArmAEffects but it isn't: I've the error even if I'm not usin' those addons.

Regards

Which version of DMSmokeEffects? Or do you get this in both versions?

In both versions. If it's relevant I'm using QG.

Hmm, I don't know sorry. If it were just the "b" version I might suspect the viewblock objects somehow, but other than that very little has changed as far as smoke effects goes. Do older versions (4.2) work OK?

Yes at all. I'm lookin' for some other possible conflicts. I'll tell ya if I find something. Did you release also the only_smokeshell_addon?

OK. Thanks a lot!

Yes at all. I'm lookin' for some other possible conflicts. I'll tell ya if I find something. Did you release also the only_smokeshell_addon?

I got it packaged up & sent it off, as soon as my friend Acog99 puts it up for download I'll link it in. In fact, I'll open a new thread as it's a different product.

Thanks for the release. I'll soon be testing this in MP smile_o.gif

About your suggestions to modify the smokeshell usage within the VFAI addon. I will play with different behaviours to observe "real life" situations. Right now I only wanted AI to throw smoke when it gets tough (being hit) and not as a precaution whenever under fire. Not only would this disrupt a lot of firefights but AI would also run out of SmokeShells very quickly in a urban combat environment. Imagine the frequent situational changes you experience there. I fear you would see a lot of smoke very quickly and then no smoke at all anymore.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau