Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Beta 4

I guess you guys are already aware of it.

However maybe you are not, so better post about it.

You can modify the raised dust from driving vehicles in

Ca\data\scripts\TG.sqs

(or there is only a script in there which does the same - untested).

FG.sqs

DG.sqs

calcPositionDust1.sqf

Seem interesting too.

You're a genius if you ask me DM, I love watching this progress. Maybe once your Smoke Effects are put to bed you can look at viewblocking foliage too; how the hell an AI AK Snipetard can spot me at over 100 yds through a bush is beyond me.

I must be carrying keys or something icon_rolleyes.gif

You're a genius if you ask me DM, I love watching this progress. Maybe once your Smoke Effects are put to bed you can look at viewblocking foliage too; how the hell an AI AK Snipetard can spot me at over 100 yds through a bush is beyond me.

Bushes do block AI sight. It's just that if they see you move into the bush, they guess at where you are based on your last known movement (they assume you are moving at the same speed and in the same direction as when they could last see you). And then they fire, and if you are moving in the same direction, or the bush is small and you have nowhere to move, it's not hard for them to get an accurate enough guess of where you are. Then you die tounge2.gif

I've managed to trick them into wasting their ammo by stopping as soon as I move into a group of bushes. They sometimes spray a lot of bullets at where they think you are. Then when they are looking at the other side of the bushes, you can pop up where they aren't looking and surprise them pistols.gif

@DMarkwick: Do you use createvehicle or createvehiclelocal to spawn the smokeblock? Best to keep it local so it wont cause errors for other people in MP. Nice to finally have working smoke grenades smile_o.gif

Bushes do block AI sight. It's just that if they see you move into the bush, they guess at where you are based on your last known movement (they assume you are moving at the same speed and in the same direction as when they could last see you).

Well you must be a much better player than I am because I don't see how I can even be spotted in a bush, especially at distance. It's not like I'm rummaging around in it, advertising my presence or picking berries off the thing, rattling the leaves huh.gif

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked because it takes me forever to even spot them in the open at distance with an Acog but it takes them nothing to turn me into mincemeat.

Well you must be a much better player than I am because I don't see how I can even be spotted in a bush, especially at distance. It's not like I'm rummaging around in it, advertising my presence or picking berries off the thing, rattling the leaves huh.gif

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked because it takes me forever to even spot them in the open at distance with an Acog but it takes them nothing to turn me into mincemeat.

Graphics settings make a difference. At less than 1024x768 resolution you will have a hard time spotting them, especially in bushes. It's good to play at something higher with a bit of anti-aliasing (I set it to low).

You can sometimes see people in bushes if you look carefully. They stick out at times. Bushes are not perfect cover, not as good as rocks and buildings I've shot people through bushes at times, when I could see a bit of them through the bush.

AI skill settings make a difference too.

Anyway, soon you will have working smoke grenades to help you biggrin_o.gif

@DMarkwick: Do you use createvehicle or createvehiclelocal to spawn the smokeblock? Best to keep it local so it wont cause errors for other people in MP. Nice to finally have working smoke grenades smile_o.gif

If I play MP with some friend and all use that viewblock, how would it affect gameplay if its local? Its there on my computer, but do my local viewblock block the view for AIs on all computers?

I expect eventually to just send the command to the server/host for execution. There's not much value in having a purely local viewblock IMO, as the only AI that will be affected are those under your command. (AI subordinates are local AI, right?smile_o.gif)

There should be hardly any traffic generated by this, as the orientation for wind is only every 5 seconds.

All I can say is: notworthy.gif

Looks sweet, can't wait to get this on our server.

LOL, I been spending a couple of hours with it. It really is sweet, and I promise I'll release a new beta pretty soon. It will be non-MP tested or coded yet, but it'll be better than me just bragging here smile_o.gif

Basically the test scenario I got is two large ground forces squaring off in Rahmadi, each side on either end of the runway. Using the Suppression script, the extended range script, and also the AI script that makes injured AI throw smoke grenades is a real treat. Almost perfect activity.

There's an immediate & intense flurry of gunfire, then once 5 or 6 smokeshells go off it calms down a bit while the AI sort themselves out behind their viewblocks (suppression). Then, as the viewblocks/smoke disappears (or the AI advance through it) it all kicks off again.

I tried the same scenario but pasted over the little town there and some really interesting stuff happens. Ever seen AI advancing through enemy smoke only to run into unexpected gunfire? I have biggrin_o.gif

Tomorrow I'll set about putting lipstick on it ready for a release. (lose all the hint texts, remake all the viewblock objects that are still nerfed, make sure there are no visible viewblocks still used etc)

Basically the test scenario I got is two large ground forces squaring off in Rahmadi, each side on either end of the runway. Using the Suppression script, the extended range script, and also the AI script that makes injured AI throw smoke grenades is a real treat. Almost perfect activity.

Yes im running the same things and been watching this thread drooling at the prospect of having the AI view blocked by smoke! Keep up the great work!!

Incredible! You have advanced ArmA gameplay even further!

And you're right - your viewblock is a perfect companion to the VFAI mod that allows the AI to rearm and throw smoke. Can't wait for the release... notworthy.gif

You're a genius...

QFT.

(Ok, that's probably not legal here, but this surely deserves it.)

biggrin_o.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about thumbs-up.gif That motivates me to start working again on my Equipment.AI + SmokeShell. My AI is using Smokeshells quite heavily but so far only us poor humans are being blinded by it. Looking forward!

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Now that's what I'm talking about thumbs-up.gif That motivates me to start working again on my Equipment.AI + SmokeShell. My AI is using Smokeshells quite heavily but so far only us poor humans are being blinded by it. Looking forward!

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Right, VictorFarbau, I done my part, now it's your turn wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Can you work your smokeshell logic into the Supression script? I would suggest using say only the bottom one or two suppression levels, with some random factors, er, factored in smile_o.gif

Say, when the units are suppressed at level X, there's a 20% chance that any unit will throw a smokeshell. Suppression level X+1, a 40% chance. Whatever figures work best. You might have to dynamically change even that for group numbers, so that for smaller groups each unit has a correspondingly higher chance.

Hopefully there'll be a way to find out from what direction the suppressive fire is coming in from without actually needing to be hit first smile_o.gif.

Does it sound feasible?

Excellent work again, I love this a lot inlove.gif

DMarkwick, I just have to say, without the slightest hint of exaggeration or overstatement- It is the because of the sacrifice and efforts of modders such as yourself, that this game actually becomes worth the investment that end-users such as myself have payed out to BIS. notworthy.gif

You make ArmA worth buying.

Now, a few questions, if I may...

Do you have any plans to make other hand-thrown devices, such as flash-bangs, "tear gas", white-phosphorous, or Molotov-cocktails with your incredible scripting ability?

As this amazing mod becomes a reality, what do you plan to do next? Amazed and envious gamers such as myself, would LOVE to know more!

Again, Bravo Zulu dude!

Thats good - remember when those smoke grenades should work:

- give some cover in attack/combat

- to confuse enemy

- cover retreat

- signal smoke for friendly units

But will AI use those examples in proper way or will they throw smokescreens one after another? What about performance in huge battles?

Edit: @VIPER SHIVA have a look at mapfact.net (MAP_Misc.pbo) too wink_o.gif