Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Beta 4

After looking at the latest videos, I must say that your work is incredible !

I'll definitely try this !

Malick

wow those are looking awesome DM!  smile_o.gif

My thoughts too.

Got to love you work smile_o.gif

Great job, but since my update from working beta 3.3 to beta 4, I've this msg when a building collapse : Sound MicroDebris1 not found

Who know why the sound can't be found ?? What have changed between the 2 mods huh.gif

Thanks a lot.

Hi guys.

Am I doing something wrong here? I put the file in the addons map (yes, i know how to "install" the addons.) But it doesn't seem to work. The burning vehicles aren't burning like in the pics. The smoke doesn't get that high. Am i doing something wrong or what is it?

I can confirm that this mod works with ArmaEffects thumbs-up.gif

Played Battlefield mission and wow... Totally adds to the atmosphere. Lingering smoke clouds, explosions, and not much of a performance hit (and this was one of my main concerns as I can hardly run ArmA as it is, let alone use two special effects enhancing mods at once)

Great stuff thumbs-up.gif

This is nice to hear, both compatibility-wise and performance-wise. Things can get a little chuggy with 50 tanks & 20 helos biggrin_o.gif but for average sized battles there should be minimal FPS hit.

BTW - what mission is this Battlefield mission?

Great job, but since my update from working beta 3.3 to beta 4, I've this msg when a building collapse : Sound MicroDebris1 not found

Who know why the sound can't be found ?? What have changed between the 2 mods huh.gif

Thanks a lot.

Sorry Flasher, I'm not seeing this problem. Until someone else has the problem I think it must be something with your setup, although I cannot image what. I haven't touched that part of the addon between the two versions sad_o.gif

Hi guys.

Am I doing something wrong here? I put the file in the addons map (yes, i know how to "install" the addons.) But it doesn't seem to work. The burning vehicles aren't burning like in the pics. The smoke doesn't get that high. Am i doing something wrong or what is it?

Try moving the entire @DMSmokeEffects folder into your ArmA folder and making a shortcut that includes it as a mod, as that is the way I recommend. No telling what it will conflict with otherwise smile_o.gif

Please, how can you make these mods working together ? Although they have a similar (same?) config structure, when I put them to work together seems that ArmAEffects is overwhelmed by DMeffects, also with ExtendedIniteventhandler file.

Please, how can you make these mods working together ? Although they have a similar (same?) config structure, when I put them to work together seems that ArmAEffects is overwhelmed by DMeffects, also with ExtendedIniteventhandler file.

Try listing the mod names in a different order in your shortcut. You're always going to get some amount of clashing (as we both have tweaked some of the same settings) but hopefully you can get a happy medium of both.

I've tried changing the order (DWeffects after or before ArmAeffects and viceversa) but always I lose the ArmAeffects shockwave dust in tank destruction.

However thanks for reply

Thanks a lot.

Sorry Flasher, I'm not seeing this problem. Until someone else has the problem I think it must be something with your setup, although I cannot image what. I haven't touched that part of the addon between the two versions sad_o.gif

OK I've found where the sound problem come from in the beta 4, it's impossible to have to sound when using the addon : @GMJ_SightAdjustment, so could you make it again compatible with this addon ? Because V3.3 work with it.

Thanks.

Nice big smoke-effects DMarkwick!

How about to "random"/vary this effects on vehicles etc. a little bit?

Cars like UAZ, HMMWV's should not have that smoke "height" but this goes more by type of vehicle?

Thanks a lot.

OK I've found where the sound problem come from in the beta 4, it's impossible to have to sound when using the addon : @GMJ_SightAdjustment, so could you make it again compatible with this addon ? Because V3.3 work with it.

Thanks.

I have no idea what could possibly cause that activity, the soundfile is just called from the config, and that is exactly the same way it works now. As I said, I didn't touch that part of it. The soundfile is part of my addon and is an original sound (i.e. not replacing anything) so it is unlikely in the extreme that the sight mod is affecting it through accidental coding.

Nice big smoke-effects DMarkwick!

How about to "random"/vary this effects on vehicles etc. a little bit?

Cars like UAZ, HMMWV's should not have that smoke "height" but this goes more by type of vehicle?

Already does smile_o.gif HMMWVs have different smoke activity from tank class vehicles. They're the slightly lower, darker & denser smoke that you see among the rest of it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that both mods are compatible... they just don't throw out error messages. If you load this mod first, and then ArmAEffects, you get some mixtures of both effects, and when a vehicle burns, both effects are present at the same time.

same here: losing tank explosion shock dust. otherwise it mixes quite well. one point though: the falling debris sounds is somewhat loud. I can hear those clicks and clanks from nearly a mile away. Faint but still hearable. Especially those clong-clong sounds from falling metal (?) pieces are quite annoying. Way too loud I think. Otherwise nice mod. But I second the comment above: why not working together in "joint venture" with ArmA Effects Mod? whistle.gif Both aim at quite similar aspects of the game. Both add truly great effects to the game. notworthy.gif

Played Battlefield mission and wow... Totally adds to the atmosphere. Lingering smoke clouds, explosions, and not much of a performance hit (and this was one of my main concerns as I can hardly run ArmA as it is, let alone use two special effects enhancing mods at once)

This is nice to hear, both compatibility-wise and performance-wise. Things can get a little chuggy with 50 tanks & 20 helos biggrin_o.gif but for average sized battles there should be minimal FPS hit.

It's one of the stock single missions you unlock by completing previous ones.

It's one of the stock single missions you unlock by completing previous ones.

Ah - rgr smile_o.gif sounds like it might be a nice mission for this addon wink_o.gif

Too bad I haven't touched the default missions biggrin_o.gif

Yeah it is a good mission because combat can get quite intensive and large scale (armour, air and infantry involvement).

It's a good benchmarking tool too because it's quite demanding on the system, with Cobras coming in providing CAS, Abrams and T-72s engaging eachother, infantry squads engaging eachother in the forests and on the streets. So in the end you're left with a lot of burning fires and billowing black smoke columns thumbs-up.gif

Nice work this definitely adds a lot more atmosphere and authenticity to the game thumbs-up.gif

Is there any chance of changing the smoke grenades into a more 'volumetric' look like the smoke from fires? Just a little bored with the old OFP smoke...I think VBS2 trailer had good smoke for reference. Oh and I'd love to see satchel charges kick up some dust as at the default they look really weak.

smokeeffectkm3.jpg

Fantastic work on your Smoke Effects beta; can't wait to see more DM

Is there any chance of changing the smoke grenades into a more 'volumetric' look like the smoke from fires?

Smoke grenades are on my list of things-to-do yes smile_o.gif

This looks fantastic, great work!

Sorry if I missed this in the previous posts (didn't see anything mentioned), but is there any plans to make the burn time last longer?