Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Tutorial for Visitor3 ?

@Chip360: If you go very close to soil (press camera against ground) you should see proper textures at close range, longer distances are still shown as white. If you see them then the cure should be this:

-You convert all .PNG to .PAA and change .RVMAT acordingly.

-You also need to reload Buldozer. I mean that you shut it down first (using alt+f4) and then connect again. To me it seems that just using "reload buldozer"-button isn't enough.

It's supprisingly hard to figure all things out at first. But seems that island making is quite easy after all, it just isn't very easy at start.

I agree with Fasad. This thread is growing too big. Soon no one will look at best pages (which are at start of this thread) but jumps to end pages.

This is great thread after all: first pages have almost step-by-step structure in how to make island   xmas_o.gif

I converted all to paa's and updated all rvmats accordingly, I can upload a sample if youd like. Also I have restarted bulldozer(several zillion times I assure you)

I can also post my config and anything you guys might wish to see including my folder structure if youd like as well...

For the meantime, Im just sad that this isnt working out for me sad_o.gif

Edit: If I ever get through this, I will right a VERY simple noobtorial which has step-by-step everything and I mean everything to get an island up and textured and in-game.

biggrin_o.gifFinal Edit EVER! biggrin_o.gif :

Ok guys! Great news, I decided to let my comp do all the crunching again and I completely rebuilt the map from the ground up. I re-did all of the configs, smoothed over my height map with the blur tool in Photoshop on select areas, re-did a couple of the textures and .... FINALLY, after some 4-5 days My creation is textured and in-game (well not quite, still working on it). Thankyou to everyone who helped me out:

-Fasad

-Edge

-Ofp2

-Attropin

-Sgt. Ace

-Second

You guys are the best notworthy.gif

I never really believed that I could accomplish such a task, I always felt like the editor was too advanced for me. However, I did not give up, I continued fighting till the end and I recommend anyone out there who has doubts in theirselves do the same. It is not as daunting as it looks really, not to bad at all once you get used to it. I am so happy to have gotten my map in-game and I will create a new thread or tutorial just for those of you out there who need a very simple, step-by-step fully detailed and explained guide.

Now as far as this damn difficult map goes, Im sure you guys would be curious to see it, well... here it is (photoshop for the backdrop to get in the mood):

trinityisleto6.jpg

There are still a few minor kinks (like when u zoom in really close the textures are just plain dirt, and Im not to sure about how to create new textures yet) I suppose I will have to sit down and work for a week or so with the mask to go over all of the details.... (If anyone would like to help it would bring me great joy!!!! Perhaps there is a way of skipping the really close mask details and just viewing the satellite image?)

Well friends, this is the last you will see of me in this thread (unless Im helping someone else of course) Thankyou so much, and to all you newbies: never give up!  thumbs-up.gif

sweet work there! smile_o.gif looks like another planet really thumbs-up.gif

btw a step by step tutorial would be sweet yay.gif

Very nice, indeed looks like an scene from alien planet, especially with red sky.

Quote[/b] ] I will create a new thread or tutorial just for those of you out there who need a very simple, step-by-step fully detailed and explained guide.

Thanks I will looking forward to it. smile_o.gif

Congratulations, Chip360. smile_o.gif Feel free to add your knowledge in Visitor 3: Making of simple landscape page on community wiki. It is quite hard to write something simple about making anything in Visitor 3, so any effort like that would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations, Chip360. smile_o.gif Feel free to add your knowledge in Visitor 3: Making of simple landscape page on community wiki. It is quite hard to write something simple about making anything in Visitor 3, so any effort like that would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for your comments everyone smile_o.gif

I was going for a Sci-Fi kind of "Out-of-this-world" look.

@Edge: Do you suppose I can start a new page in the wiki? So that it is just and overly-simplified tut? I dont have much experience with wiki pages but do I have the authorization to do that? (It appeared I didnt and that I could only edit pages)

Chip, I think it would be better to edit the scary hard-to-understand tutorial which is already there. I suggest you consult http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Getting_Started page and go ahead. smile_o.gif I guess Berghoff can give his advice as well, he's one of those who contributed there about terrain editing... whistle.gif

Hey guys, I apologize for the delay in my very simple guide. I got about half-way last week then got pounded with homework in school. Im still pulling through a shit-storm, but Im trying to get the tutorial done for you guys who need it.

I jsut figured out how Visitor 3 works! Now Visitor 3 doesn't look hard at all. Going to spend mmore time on island, and play aroung with sat. maps.  yay.gif  yay.gif Nothing is better then seeing terrain in buldozer  smile_o.gif I was whining that Visitor 3 sucks, but its actually powerfull terrain creation tool!  icon_rolleyes.gif

USSRSniper: Glad to hear that, and good luck with your projects! I am afraid to say Visitor really sucks, but it is still very powerful editing tool. biggrin_o.gif When some community scripts will emerge and you start using potential of new texturing method, you will realize how good it is compared to old Visitor Lite.

Woolridge: My apologies, I completely missed your post about issue with terrain. This is release candidate issue we already fixed, final release of V3 will not suffer from it.

If u think textures are a headache wait till u start trying to lay roads....... This is incrediably painful has anyone got a decent idea on how to simplify the process

If u think textures are a headache wait till u start trying to lay roads....... This is incrediably painful has anyone got a decent idea on how to simplify the process

I've laid some hundred km of road in wrptool for OFP. It isn't so bad smile_o.gif

However, I did not try it with visitor2 (visitor3 still not have proper roads?)

You can't really lay roads yet, you're not supposed to lay them out as regular objects. IIRC you'll have to wait for BIS to release unbinarized roads.

Why oh why do they have to make it so difficult.

There are some games that has map editors

that are so simple its disgusting.

BI, you could have made it easier to make

maps? Right.

It should only be nessesery to have ONE program

to create a map. Now, we need loads of them.

Like Photoshop.

I dont like this at all

Best thing to do is to work on a tiny island project like desert island with small satellite and mask till ye get the hang of it and then work on bigger project.. smile_o.gif

There are some games that has map editors that are so simple it's disgusting. BI, you could have made it easier to make maps?

Better visual appearance and complex maps require a more complex tool, which should be capable to employ as much user-made content as possible. Open architecture of Arma also requires a bit of knowledge, skill and determination on modder's side. Tools are meant to produce nice and complex environment, not to allow everyone to start producing dozens of maps in a day. smile_o.gif

It should only be necessary to have ONE program to create a map. Now, we need loads of them. Like Photoshop.

Why should we write another Photoshop as a part of Visitor, when we can use one which is already available? wink_o.gif Besides, you can use many other free softwares to create textures.

@Alex.Sworn: Nice effort, man. Do you plan to translate the tutorial?

i have a problem in tutorial when i import the "*.xyz" file, visitor crash at this time ?? some help needed plz

i folow step by step and allways something is wrong...

argh.jpg

i gone crazy to allways test for nothing...

we need step by step tutorial whith a new island,

if some one have understand how to do,

may be fun to do that, please need help crazy_o.gif

Likewise matey, hopefully Alex.Sworn can find someone quickly who can translate he's tutorial smile_o.gif

Ive tried by myself but lost patience with it. As ive spent alot of money on my computer, I don't wish to hurt it because of V3 whistle.gif

dob I'm not certain, but it looks like you haven't converted your layers png files to paa, also remember to change all texture paths to refer to paa after converting.