Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Tutorial for Visitor3 ?

Hey, thanks again, it worked atreat.  biggrin_o.gif

I didn't relise my map was so big till I flew across the island.

200 knts and 15 mins later, and that was E/W N/S is twice as long  smile_o.gif . I am starting to like this V3 headache

Big map eh?

Hehe, buldozer has just finished loading a 4096x4096 100m cell map right now. That's 167,772 km ^2 smile_o.gif

Hey fasad have you perhaps experienced a black texture?

Yes, look back a few pages. They seem to be caused by buldozer not finding the textures, but I don't have any more specific trouble-shooting tip than that. Check all your paths, config and rvmats sad_o.gif

Well, after a few more tries, I finally got it. Used a very simple sat image and a very simple mask, plus I converted the pngs to paa using pal2pac instead of texview, and magically it works! For some reason it doesn't want to work with the depboed PAAs. Perhaps if you save them to png and use pal2pac? Bleh, I'll test around later.

And an image of success:

testhi4.jpg

I didn't release my map was so big till I flew across the island.

Any chance you could release it as an example so I could see how you did it?

I copy/pasted fasad's cfg and changed all the names (called it highway.cfg) and then pack it and all the stuff in my island folder into a pbo. That didn't really do the trick.

So, how does one make an island out of ones V3 project?

We are going to update Visitor 3 tutorial tomorrow to avoid further confusion. Stay tuned. smile_o.gif

Nice one ,

I will hold a little before i export the wrp then incase the fix comes with ability to create .paa instead of png layers. fingers crossed but cant complain ,so far its been a nice new reason to start ARMA.exe

Btw has anybody managed to work otu a nice formula to reduce the number of masks and satellite textures created , i notice that sahrani only has hmm 30- 40 whilst so far even the smallest island i have created ,spews out a very large amount.

Quote[/b] ]

i notice that sahrani only has hmm 30- 40

No, this is not correct:

Sahrani has 8,557 files in its layers folder.

4,859 of these are rvmat files.

1,849 are sat image files.

1,849 are mask image files.

Planck

wow lol...

Is that why it lags so much?

Quote[/b] ]We are going to update Visitor 3 tutorial tomorrow to avoid further confusion. Stay tuned. smile_o.gif

Is their going to be any examples with the update?

Quote[/b] ]

i notice that sahrani only has hmm 30- 40

No, this is not correct:

Sahrani has 8,557 files in its layers folder.

4,859 of these are rvmat files.

1,849 are sat image files.

1,849 are mask image files.

Planck

my BAD meant sahranilite but whichever the map ,the amount of satellites seem to be considerably less than i get even on a vsmall island.

That's what the satelite grid setting is probably for.

yup, don't forget to calculate your grid size when making a new map.

Anyone know how bring up the arrow (if there is one) in Buldozer that points to the terrain vertices, so you know which vertice you are raising or lowering.

Arrow in Dozer can be activated by pressing H key.

Satellite grid value tells the system how to cut the input image. E.g. for Sahrani, input satellite and mask bitmap were 20480^2 px, the number tells the system how big squares are to be cut and what will be their overlap.

Still working on the tutorial, sorry for the delay. We will provide sample data for Rahmadi map as reference, which means some extra work.

Just think laymans smile_o.gif

Looking fwd to it

Thanks for the updates Edge, appreciate your work!

smile_o.gif

Many more questions to come but will wait for the updated manual. I think we've all got enough info so far to keep us busy (and patient) enough.

loving visitor 3, thanks for everyones input on here. I finally got island in game and working. Looking forward to everyone releasing some decent islands for ArmA.

pic of island

loving visitor 3, thanks for everyones input on here. I finally got island in game and working. Looking forward to everyone releasing some decent islands for ArmA.

Good job!

Did you try to place roads? Only one texture was used?

Publish the source code? smile_o.gif

Arrow in Dozer can be activated by pressing H key.

That was the first key I tried as it's the same in V2, but I get no arrow sad_o.gif

Just a note: Road models will have to be released in unbinarized form, then you will be available to use them.

You don't see the arrow because the content of UI.pbo is not loaded in Buldozer. Instruction how to use this will be published in the tutorial, although PE version may need a different solution (any feedback welcome).

BTW the tutorial is being prepared in community wiki right now. It may be a bit rough or unclear at the moment, but I am sure it's going to be polished by Visitor 3 users soon. smile_o.gif

You will probably have to wait for sample data. They will be released a little later then documentation, but it will be announced.

What about converting all those sat/mask png files into paa format? will V3 have a function for that, or does it already have it?

What about converting all those sat/mask png files into paa format? will V3 have a function for that, or does it already have it?

AFAIK it must have it, you must not be connected to buldozer, import the lot and then connect to buldozer for auto conversion of files.