Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Tutorial for Visitor3 ?

What about converting all those sat/mask png files into paa format? will V3 have a function for that, or does it already have it?

AFAIK it must have it, you must not be connected to buldozer, import the lot and then connect to buldozer for auto conversion of files.

I'm pretty sure I've imported the sat/mask images while buldozer wasn't running, then turned on buldozer, they're still png, so I don't know how to convert all those thousands of png files into paa except fasad's method.......which I don't know how to do either confused_o.gif

What about converting all those sat/mask png files into paa format? will V3 have a function for that, or does it already have it?

It is function of binMake.exe, which was not released to community yet. It should be part of proper tools release.

Small tutorial and updated Visitor manual are available on community Wiki:

Visitor 3: Making of simple landscape - refers to sample data, release will follow

Visitor 3 Manual - updated manual

I would like to thank Berghoff for taking care of the map-making documentation on community Wiki and to Stranger for adding the udpate.

Good stuff!

One question though, is it obligatory for the island to be made in a ca folder?

...is it obligatory for the island to be made in a ca folder?

To be honest, I have no idea, for I never had chance to use any other setup than the company one. smile_o.gif However, you will maybe find out it is not necessary, and I hope you will share your knowledge here.

I would say that to make your map working with Arma addons, you need to have all of the addon folders and your map folder on the same level on your working drive. It depends also on setting of working paths for models and objects in Visitor project settings.

Hi all, I have 3 questions here:

1- I have this satelite Image:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/Reblman/FallujahOverhead2.jpg

How I can set it to Visitor 3?.

2- I have this problem:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/Reblman/WTfuck.jpg

I'm bad in english, so Where my visitor window to make my map?.

3- Where I can find the Tutorials for Visitor 3?.

Thanks.

Thanks for the wiki update it certainly looks alot more fluid now.

a question if i may, what is the map legend for i made a mask layer and used 4 different colours from the map legend on the wiki .

blue green red yellow , when v3 spewed my layers out , it changed

the colour and the resulting detail texture did not appear on the island.

for example

grass as explained in example from berghoff in layers cpp =

grass[]={{0,255,131}};

grass in the map legend (obtained by opening pic in adobe and reading values) = 0,253,253

colour spewed out in the cut mask sat = 0,254,254

result in buldozer = no grass but sand everywhere

is there a constant we can follow to make things easier or a simple guide as to what decides what , in relationship of layers cpp masksatellite and maplegegend ?

I created a batch file called png2paa with the following inside:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">START Pal2Pace %1

I then added it to the right-click context menu in Windows Explorer :

Tools/Folder Options/File Types

Select PNG and click the Advanced button, create a new action and give it a name (I called mine png2paa) then point it towards the batch file (I saved my batch file in the Windows folder).

Then copy Pal2PacE.exe and ijl15.dll into your Layers folder from the TexView2 folder.

Now when you select one/some or all the PNG files and right-click on them you should see png2paa in the menu, click it and all the files should convert.

Where can I get a satellite Map?

If I will create an fictional island how can I create proper map for it?

-edited because I am stupid etc-

surpher thanks very much for that it worked like a charm.

does anyone know how we can stop the rvmats asking for sat.png and make it sat.paa ?

or do we have to save this in text form and find a programme to change all inside to paa ?

@ opteryx looking very nice, how do you get the sats to show in bulldoxer ?

Also, is there a config in Visitor where I can edit the view distance??

F1 in Buldozer brings up the options menu, you can set VD from there.

Quote[/b] ]does anyone know how we can stop the rvmats asking for sat.png and make it sat.paa ?

or do we have to save this in text form and find a programme to change all inside to paa ?

I used UltraEdit, it has a replace in file option.

I've discovered that this only occurs OUTSIDE of the actually terrain, so everything looks normal on the actual map. smile_o.gif

Looks pretty good now:

irnu9tm1.jpg

However I get this:

feilji2.jpg

-when trying to play the map ingame.

Oh and is there and easier way to navigate across the terrain in buldozer instead of shoving my mouse endless times forward... crazy_o.gif

@ opteryx looking very nice, how do you get the sats to show in bulldoxer ?

Convert them to paa as surpher demonstrated how.

Hi all, I have 3 questions here:

1- I have this satelite Image:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/Reblman/FallujahOverhead2.jpg

How I can set it to Visitor 3?.

2- I have this problem:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/Reblman/WTfuck.jpg

I'm bad in english, so Where my visitor window to make my map?.

3- Where I can find the Tutorials for Visitor 3?.

Thanks.

Ok, I gonna use my self next time without questions anymore, thanks alot.

Ok, I gonna use my self next time without questions anymore, thanks alot.

Hey man I would love to help you if I only knew how, what is your problem exactly??

-edit-

Sorry! I didn't read your post properly!

banghead.gif

Go to view and remove script panel and named selection panel, then you should be able to see the area where you edit the terrain!

Quote[/b] ]How I can set it to Visitor 3?

Read the last half part of this thread, there's just way too much for me to write now as I am going to bed + I am very crappy at explaining....

Quote[/b] ]2- Where I can find the Tutorials for Visitor 3?.

Again, this thread is very useful smile_o.gif

and.......

Visitor_3_Manual!

Quote[/b] ]How I can set it to Visitor 3?

Read the last half part of this thread, there's just way too much for me to write now as I am going to bed + I am very crappy at explaining....

Quote[/b] ]2- Where I can find the Tutorials for Visitor 3?.

Again, this thread is very useful smile_o.gif

and.......

Visitor_3_Manual!

Hey Thank you m8 very much smile_o.gif

I've discovered that this only occurs OUTSIDE of the actually terrain, so everything looks normal on the actual map. smile_o.gif

Forgot to mention entirely (including tutorials) that outside the map, corner segment (usually last one in first column) is repeated. Regarding the terrain, edge vertices are repeated beyond map borders.

Opteryx, nice progress. smile_o.gif

ReblMan, when you'll be putting your Fallujah imagery to Visitor, remember the map space is square, so some cutting and editing of texture will be necessary. Good luck with it! smile_o.gif

Hi,

Edge, will you release the unbinarized format of road elements (at least one or two type) before the weekend? It would be nice to have them, so I could start to work on a small test island...

Indeed, roads are the first objects to be placed in my workflow...

Good stuff!

One question though, is it obligatory for the island to be made in a ca folder?

I found that placing the island folder in the P:/ root directory worked well. It might not work if in CA, not sure ?

Working example:

P:\myIsland\

with data textures & rvmats in P:\myIsland\data\*

becomes

\ArmA\myIsland\Addons\myIsland.pbo

which contains

myIsland.cpp

myIsland.wrp

data\*

You don't see the arrow because the content of UI.pbo is not loaded in Buldozer. Instruction how to use this will be published in the tutorial, although PE version may need a different solution (any feedback welcome).

I extracted the ui.pbo and moved it to the ca folder on drive P:\ then added "ca\ui" to the addons text file, still not seeing the arrow sad_o.gif

edit: hmmm, I can't get any UI to work either. It seems that the -addons=addon.txt argument isn't doing anything - I filled the file with jibberish expecting to provoke an error from buldozer, but no luck... :\

Quote[/b] ]I can't get any UI to work either.

I guess you have to unpack ca.pbo as well to get P:\ca\data content? Just verified out box cursor and arrow are stored there. You need UI and UIfonts to see options dialogue and messages. I am referring to this content of addons.txt:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">addons[] =

{

"ca\", "ca\data\", "ca\UI\", "ca\UIFonts\"

};

Sorry for the issue, this happens when you work with full set of unbinarized data - you just don't pay attention to seemingly obvious things.

Quote[/b] ]...will you release the unbinarized format of road elements (at least one or two type) before the weekend?

Most probably not. The models will be the part of Visitor 3 PE release, and I am not sure we will be able to release it before weekend.

Quote[/b] ]

ReblMan, when you'll be putting your Fallujah imagery to Visitor, remember the map space is square, so some cutting and editing of texture will be necessary. Good luck with it! smile_o.gif

Thank you m8 for this advice, i hope that helps on my project smile_o.gif.