Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

ArmA like you've never seen it before

The picture + videos say more than words can, so let's jump right into them. This is all stuff that I've been working on lately at my job - this is the first time I've really had an opportunity to post about them.

Here's 40+ feet wide worth of beautiful screen real estate. The kicker is that you can shoot at it with laser-equipped, Co2-powered recoil weapons and kill stuff in the environment. (Note that the black borders are only on those screens, the final product has seamless screens)

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthatareneat/4screen_sml.jpg

Here's that same setup, flying around in a helo.

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthatareneat/four_screen_ah6.wmv

And last but by no means least, we have the icing on the cake - live-fire! This is me, with my own personal rifle, with real bullets, shooting virtual bad guys. The calibration was off a bit (shots were registering low, hence the many leg shots and near-misses below the enemies), but still, it was pure awesomeness incarnate. Dumped about five magazines through some of my scenarios in a 10 minute period.

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthing....r15.wmv

inlove.gifpistols.gif

Hi.

beautifull hardware kit !

However, i STRONGLY recommend to you , to not USE a "power of 2" number of display . 3 -5 -7 render well the center of view.

2 -4 -6 etc ... cut the center in 2 piece , and its quite handicapping while you' re trying to aim.

always use a non power of 2 multiscreen installation.

Use only 3 screen , i think it's enough ... hey, 30 feet of picture biggrin_o.gif

ps: ho wait, i think you already know all of that , maybe you plan to use the four panel only for air training ?

However, i STRONGLY recommend to you , to not USE a "power of 2" number of display . 3 -5 -7 render well the center of view.

2 -4 -6 etc ... cut the center in 2 piece , and its quite handicapping while you' re trying to aim.

ps: ho wait, i think you already know all of that , maybe you plan to use the four panel only for air training ?

See this:

Quote[/b] ](Note that the black borders are only on those screens, the final product has seamless screens)

It's already been taken care of.

the ultimate gamers dream...For gaming that is totally amazing... probally a bit expensive for the ammo.. I guess if you make it yourself its worth it smile_o.gif The Ultimate light gun!

Besides extreme gamers..is there really a market for the military? In my opinion I doubt any real experienced operators would want to screw with their focus in their eyes trying to achieve depth perception, in the act of training point and shoot. For novelty sake it is the coolest thing ive ever seen, pistols.gif

Do they make Rpg7s ? smile_o.gif

Reminds me of the simulator they had in the boot camp in Corinth when I did my military duty.

The differences were that it didn't use live ammunition, but specially modified H&K G3A3s, connected with cable to a main computer. They did kick quite realistically though.

And ofcourse they didn't have ArmA or VBS or OFP running... or was it? My guess it was some other software which plus it only showed non human targets.

Funny thing was that I managed a perfect score on it but the experience was vastly different in the real shooting range...

That is very sweet...but I was hoping the AI's would have shot back at cha....over & over & over...well guess you get the hint. notworthy.gif

Awesome

Do you know if the military would be developing VR goggles? I imagine that would be a cheaper and more effective setup than the screens but then there is the problem of getting the rifle into your VR world. Maybe some sensors could gather the information of where the 'light gun' would be and then digitally represent them through the goggles... Its an idea wink_o.gif

That way there could be larger training exercises involving more people and more scenarios.

Damn, and I thought playing on 3x 20" widescreens with Kegetys SoftTH is cool:

ArmA_108_Triple.jpg

But that is CRAZY!

MfG MfG Lee wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gifsmile_o.gif

hey mate, what sort of hardware have you ?

(CPU , graphic card etc )

so are we expecting this in the next patch huh.gifhuh.gif

(panels and ar15 shipped in post) pistols.gifpistols.gif

The song in the AH-6 video is called 'Into the Void' and it is off this album;

The String Quartet

Strange, I just paused the original NIN version of the song to watch that video wow_o.gif

Awesome idea though, the video using real rounds made it look as if live rounds were going through the screen and further into the virtual world rofl.gif

Awsome stuff man!

Can I ask how long did it take to set it up?

Guest Ti0n3r

Would it be possible to use those 4 monitors to give you a 360 degree view instead of a mega-ultra-super-widescreen? :P That would together with the laser rifle you used would be like a dream come true for me crazy_o.gif

I always wanted something like that since the early days of OFP whistle.gif

Would it be possible to use those 4 monitors to give you a 360 degree view instead of a mega-ultra-super-widescreen? :P That would together with the laser rifle you used would be like a dream come true for me crazy_o.gif

I always wanted something like that since the early days of OFP whistle.gif

A true gamer cuts the view at center.

This was played on:

- Asus Socket 939 SLI Board

- AMD A64 Socket 939 CPU 3800+(2400 @ 2900MHz) Singlecore

- 2GB DDR1 PC400 Ram

- GF 8800GTS 640MB as primary card

- GF 7600GS 256MB as secondary card

- 3x Samsung Widescreen LCD 205BW

- Kegety's amazing SoftTH, special thx to him!!

The resolution was 5340 x 1050

3x 1680 + 2x 150 for the lcd frames, so the game is "behind" the frames and not stretched there:

ArmA_108_Triple2.jpg

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

This was played on:

- Asus Socket 939 SLI Board

- AMD A64 Socket 939 CPU 3800+(2400 @ 2900MHz) Singlecore

- 2GB DDR1 PC400 Ram

- GF 8800GTS 640MB as primary card

- GF 7600GS 256MB as secondary card

- 3x Samsung Widescreen LCD 205BW

- Kegety's amazing SoftTH, special thx to him!!

The resolution was 5340 x 1050

3x 1680 + 2x 150 for the lcd frames, so the game is "behind" the frames and not stretched there:

[img ]http://lee.plankton.ch/ArmA_108_Triple2.jpg[/img]

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

I had the same plan as you, but never had the time to play so I put it on ice. I have almomst the same specs as you, just a little better I think..

So my question is, if you would be so kind to answer: what are your settings and FPS?

@DsLyecxi:

the only thing i don't like is that you have the center of the image right between two screens , for the rest is quite impressive wow_o.gif

Next we'll see the Ai shooting bullets thru the screen at ya :P LOL

Brave new world ... but with handicaps: in Deslyxis live-fire-setup on the ground he cant move.

what are your settings and FPS?

~Medium/high settings are playable.

Good thing with Kegetys SoftTH, you can choose lower res for the left/right screens for better performance.

MfG Lee

Quote[/b] ]Besides extreme gamers..is there really a market for the military? In my opinion I doubt any real experienced operators would want to screw with their focus in their eyes trying to achieve depth perception, in the act of training point and shoot. For novelty sake it is the coolest thing ive ever seen

There is enormous demand for this in the military. US Special Forces use it, for one example. The concerns you've expressed are baffling and aren't an issue in the slightest. This setup is a godsend for training people how to shoot.

Quote[/b] ]That is very sweet...but I was hoping the AI's would have shot back at cha....over & over & over...well guess you get the hint.

That particular scenario is set up with the AI not even knowing you're there. Other scenarios have them firing and maneuvering against you.

Quote[/b] ]Do you know if the military would be developing VR goggles? I imagine that would be a cheaper and more effective setup than the screens but then there is the problem of getting the rifle into your VR world. Maybe some sensors could gather the information of where the 'light gun' would be and then digitally represent them through the goggles... Its an idea

This would be completely unacceptable for training with firearms. There are scenarios where VR can work (ie the VBS1 Loadmasters stuff), but this isn't one of those scenarios.

Quote[/b] ]Would it be possible to use those 4 monitors to give you a 360 degree view instead of a mega-ultra-super-widescreen? :P That would together with the laser rifle you used would be like a dream come true for me

Why stop at four screens? We can do a 360 view with 8-12 or so screens, it's quite impressive. No pics + videos of that currently, though. Perhaps in the future. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the only thing i don't like is that you have the center of the image right between two screens , for the rest is quite impressive

As mentioned, that's because we were testing on bordered screens at the time. The actual final setup has seamless screens, so there's no "seam" in the center.

Quote[/b] ]Brave new world ... but with handicaps: in Deslyxis live-fire-setup on the ground he cant move.

If I wanted to, I could. There are many ways to implement that.

Quote[/b] ]Would it be possible to use those 4 monitors to give you a 360 degree view instead of a mega-ultra-super-widescreen? :P That would together with the laser rifle you used would be like a dream come true for me

Why stop at four screens? We can do a 360 view with 8-12 or so screens, it's quite impressive. No pics + videos of that currently, though. Perhaps in the future. wink_o.gif

I'll hold you to that!! biggrin_o.gif