Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Anyone else using TrackIR in Arma

Get the track clip pro..you won't be dissapointed wink_o.gif

Religiously!

On the ground and in vehicles. wink_o.gif

Ditto on the trackClip comment. A good piece of kit!

Have a search through the forums. There are quite a few topics on TIR.

did you order direct from natuarlpoint?

I placed my order last night and so far (1pm) haven heard anything from them...

Im just curious because I paid for NEXT DAY air.

I ordered from them and it came the next day with normal shipping. It is a great product and I have never regretted buying it.

Nah, ordered from a place in South Africa - where I live. Was also here within 24hrs. Enjoy man...takes some time getting used to it, but very immersive once you do.

how many monitors are you guys running with this is more than 1 needed ?

how many monitors are you guys running with this is more than 1 needed ?

One works perfectly.

I'm thinkin of buyin it too.

Seem's kinda neat, as i play arma often now.

I bought it but I only use it for flying,

I can't use it on the ground, aiming is too difficult with it.

I bought it but I only use it for flying,

I can't use it on the ground, aiming is too difficult with it.

You can tweak deadzones to get it just as you like it.

I always use trackIR in arma. Flying, driving and running, no matter what. But I have tweaked the profile.

Looking around - no tweak as there is a small but distinct "snap" when you look into the sight (but its possible for those who like to have more deadzone to make the aiming easier).

Zoom - Nothing happens until I really moves forward. A big deadzone and a steep linear curve at the end.

Leaning - Changed it from leaning my head to moving head left/right. More natural that way IMO. + bigger deadzone.

If someone is interested I can send my trackIR arma-settings when I get back home next week?

One monitor is perfectly fine for TrackIR.

Also, if you're having trouble with aiming in ironsights:

Map your zoom/hold breath key (or an undefined key that's easy to reach) to 'precision mode' in your TrackIR software. I think you uncheck 'trapping'. This makes it work so that when you hold down the key, it enables precision. When you let it go, it continues as normal. Sounds maybe a little complicated but you'll soon know what I'm talking about.

Someone else suggested this in another thread and I must thank whoever that was again because it's really made such a difference. I never ever disable the TIR in-game now.

I'll post you my settings too if you need any help.

I was playing LAN on the weekend with my girlfriend (yay, I think I got her addicted tounge2.gif ) and she mentioned that it was very obvious that I was using the TIR. (we were playing CTF against each other). She said that my leaning and freelooking was very lifelike and completely deliberate. *slooooooowly leans around a corner with SAW pointed in her direction* biggrin_o.gif She couldn't hit me when I was behind a pillar and all I needed to do was ever so slightly lean to get an angle on her. She said another time that she had seen me and the next thing my character's head (which happens to have my face on it) turned and looked straight at her. She burst out laughing as she realised I'd just spotted her. She's still getting over the whole it's-my-face thing. rofl.gif

About 1/3 of our team ordered TrackIR4 Pro from a local distributor (http://www.intella.si/trackir) and we got a special promo price :] we're extremely satisfied and we're using it primarily for ArmA.

I bought the TrackIR for flight simulators. But when I got ArmA, I thought I would give it a go in a FPS. I had my doubts, but it turned out to be freakin awesome.

Keeping your gun pointed in the direction your moving but being able to peak to the left and right for enemies is the best thing ever!

originally a flight sim junkie, although i always knew this gear was going to port over one day to FPS. so glad it was ARMA!

it just adds that much more to the immersion.

i like the fact that im not always spot on with my aiming, when looking around then raising up the weapon. it adds an "excited frustration" trying to get the bead on a target in close quarters combat.knowing exactly what you want to do, but your excitement over does your movement.

I've had mine for Lock-On for almost 2 years now i think. It's just plain awesome for any game that supports it. Just like everyone else has said. lol

Although i don't know what you guys are talking about, having a hard time aiming. When your head is centered, it works the same as any other shooter. Use your mouse to aim. Unless I'm completly missing what you guys are talking about.

I turned off my zoom. That axis just doesnt seem natural to me. I always just use the sec mouse button. Same with flight sims, use a slider on my stick for zoom. As for lean, i just use the buttons for that aswell. I've been meaning to mess with the setting for lean though cause i'd like to use it.

Maciver,

Also disabled the zoom. It could have worked but I find that I don't really need an analogue zoom when on the ground. When in vehicles I use the +/- anyway.

The aiming thing...quite a spoken-about issue here. Basically, if you're like me and you don't have a deadzone in your head movement controls (it feels horrible having one IMO), then when you go into optics on a non-scoped weapon with ironsights, your "head" tends to become too sensitive and it's hard to keep looking straight through the sight. This is because with TIR enabled, you have freelook ability even when looking through ironsights. A suggested method of minimizing this problem is to do what I suggested in my previous post^. Your head is much more stable this way. It also sort of adds to the game because when (for me) I click hold breath, my head steadies up along with my body movement. Freakin' sweet. wink_o.gif

.... A suggested method of minimizing this problem is to do what I suggested in my previous post^. Your head is much more stable this way. It also sort of adds to the game because when (for me) I click hold breath, my head steadies up along with my body movement. Freakin' sweet. wink_o.gif

Maybe its freaking sweet but you have one big handicap: Every time you are shooting you have to click the shooting-button AND the precision-button. Thats always a time-lag in relation to someone who just click the shooting-button. Maybe that this is in close-range-battle or in situations with quick-response-time a deathly handicap.

Well, for me it's a matter of pressing right mouse button and left mouse button, so not much of a handicap. wink_o.gif Also, you're right...it is for the more precision moments, ie. over long range.

Well, for me it's a matter of pressing right mouse button and left mouse button, so not much of a handicap.  wink_o.gif  ...

Okay. Thats obviously a genius solution to avoid that handicap.

I am so used to my trackir now that I often find myself moving my head while playing other games and wondering why nothing happens crazy_o.gif

I got so used to it the field of view in other games feels narrow and turning around with the mouse just to look to the side is really clumsy after an hour of ArmA whistle.gif

Maciver,

Also disabled the zoom. It could have worked but I find that I don't really need an analogue zoom when on the ground. When in vehicles I use the +/- anyway.

The aiming thing...quite a spoken-about issue here. Basically, if you're like me and you don't have a deadzone in your head movement controls (it feels horrible having one IMO), then when you go into optics on a non-scoped weapon with ironsights, your "head" tends to become too sensitive and it's hard to keep looking straight through the sight. This is because with TIR enabled, you have freelook ability even when looking through ironsights. A suggested method of minimizing this problem is to do what I suggested in my previous post^. Your head is much more stable this way. It also sort of adds to the game because when (for me) I click hold breath, my head steadies up along with my body movement. Freakin' sweet. wink_o.gif

Good idea, I see what you mean now. Although, I have never had any trouble with it.

I actually like to have it that fast. Because alot of times in close quarters i put the ironsights up and look around. I honestly don't like the "half zoom" you get when pulling up the sights. It should just pull the rifle up to your eye, not zoom in. This way your view isnt constricted at all when you pull the rifle up. THEN from there you can hold the mouse button to zoom in.

I feel like we are missing a step in weapon posture. In real life i would have the weapon shouldered with the ironsights in view. For any situation. Then pull it up close to my eye, zoom in, for a steady shot. Hopefully this makes sense to everyone lol.

did you order direct from natuarlpoint?

I placed my order last night and so far (1pm) haven heard anything from them...

Im just curious because I paid for NEXT DAY air.

Have you gotten the shipping info yet?

If you PM your order number, I can take a look..........

I feel like we are missing a step in weapon posture. In real life i would have the weapon shouldered with the ironsights in view. For any situation. Then pull it up close to my eye, zoom in, for a steady shot. Hopefully this makes sense to everyone lol.

You can walk slowly with the weapon up to the shoulder, that comes nearest to what you want, than just bring up your sight.

You can either press "-" on the numpad two times to stay zoomed out or use the great "Trueview" Addon by rg7621 to do that thumbs-up.gif