Sign in to follow this  
TrunkzJr

Stopping to Reload

I hope this gets changes, and I can see why you shouldn't reload on a sprint, but does anyone think it should be possible to reload at least while walking or something? Can a soldier in real life reload while walking/small jog or something also?

I hope this gets changes, and I can see why you shouldn't reload on a sprint, but does anyone think it should be possible to reload at least while walking or something? Can a soldier in real life reload while walking/small jog or something also?

I may be wrong, but I think the current engine wouldn't allow for the reloading animation to be played while the player is walking, so BI might not be able to do it even if they wanted to.

As it is, it just takes some adjusting and you'll learn not to reload while in the open. It would probably be easier to add a posibility to abort the reloading process in an emergency.

In RL I usually stop when I'm busy reloading wink_o.gif and usually I take cover too....

Hmm, this brings up something I've always wondered, , I know its more complicated than what I'm making it out to be, but... Isn't this BIS's engine? Can't they just go in and fix something? I dont know maybe im dreaming... banghead.gif

Fast reloading during sprint? That goes to an "run'n'gun" gameplay like those "rambo" shooters icon_rolleyes.gif

In real combat you have to know when to change the mag and first comes safety. I had seen some guys reloading whilst running.... they loosing their mags, had trouble to get the mag right into rifle and later they where slower and exposed then those who kneel down.

Fast reloading during sprint? That goes to an "run'n'gun" gameplay like those "rambo" shooters icon_rolleyes.gif

In real combat you have to know when to change the mag and first comes safety. I had seen some guys reloading whilst running.... they loosing their mags, had trouble to get the mag right into rifle and later they where slower and exposed then those who kneel down.

If real combat was like in ArmA, there would be no wars to simulate because everyone would fear their clumsiness will kill them.

Fast reloading during sprint? That goes to an "run'n'gun" gameplay like those "rambo" shooters   icon_rolleyes.gif  

If real combat was like in ArmA, there would be no wars to simulate because everyone would fear their clumsiness will kill them.

Could you please stop that? Just because you are experiencing those problems doesnt mean everyone does. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a great title for a cynical/comedy/satire thread "If real combat was like ArmA..." biggrin_o.gif

Well, if it is possible, they should make it so that you can reload pistols, SMGs and rifles while WALKING (not running). But for non-magazine loaded weapons (like the 249/240/PK) you have to STOP to reload.

I've never been in combat before, so I don't know the stress of trying to reload while being shot at, but I know that I can reload pistols (like M1911 and the M9) and magazine-fed rifles (like the AR15) while walking.

This has been discussed before and yes I think you should be able to reload at least when walking (I don't see running and reloading as very possible to do in RL). Reloading on the move only when walking at least allows you to get out of harms way if something happens while going through the reload process. You should not be completely locked into place while reloading. Of course an animation cancel would also be great.

Could you please stop that? Just because you are experiencing those problems doesnt mean everyone does. icon_rolleyes.gif

Are you insinuating that in Armed Assault you can reload on the move and perform other actions when they are needed in life and death situations and not when an overly lenghtened animation feels like finishing? If so, I want to know which mod you are using.

I'd be satisfied (for the most part) with the reload animation/cycle/whatever being canceled when you hit a movement key (WASD). That way you can get out of the shit if you need to.

You should also be able to move with the binoculars up (or even better you pull them away from your eyes when moving and then back up when you stop, without going through the slow ass animation of putting them up/taking them out).

The issue is... it should depend.

This is one of those old discussions done to death.

You should be able to throw a magazine out and put a full one in on the move but what about a belt fed M249, M240 or PKM? They all use the same anims and reload times (unfortunetly).

I think old discussions already provided good solutions and ideas on this but its not something to expect in Arma i guess.

edit:

I seriously agree with the binocular part.

Fast reloading during sprint? That goes to an "run'n'gun" gameplay like those "rambo" shooters   icon_rolleyes.gif  

Are you insinuating that in Armed Assault you can reload on the move and perform other actions when they are needed in life and death situations and not when an overly lenghtened animation feels like finishing? If so, I want to know which mod you are using.

I mean that the movement should feel exactly like it does in OFP, if it doesnt, then there is something wrong on your end. I havent heard many complaints about OFP's system, generally it was praised for being different and more immersive then most games, i dont understand what is wrong with it now.

Being able to cancel the reload would be nice, although usually useless (If the enemy suddenly walks into your cover he is going to shoot you in the face anyway, if you cancel the reload you still cant shoot him before he shoots you) it would definately give a feeling of more control.

I mean that the movement should feel exactly like it does in OFP, if it doesnt, then there is something wrong on your end. I havent heard many complaints about OFP's system, generally it was praised for being different and more immersive then most games, i dont understand what is wrong with it now.

If it's exactly like in OFP, why are so many people campaigning to bring back OFP style movement? Flashpoint had some lousy animations, but not as many as ArmA. And back to my original point, I would stay away from the army if I was as clumsy as the soldiers in the game. In fact I'd apply for an excercise course for the mentally and motorically challenged.

When we did combat drills (extraction) with live ammo, all of us removed the magazine while running. Ofcourse then only point laid coverfire so you had good time meaning that once you were in the rear you had good time to insert the mag. And we didn't sprint like idiots because the risk/reward ratio isn't worth it.

IMO you should be able to run and reload but the reload should take longer than normal. Also, during insertion of the magazine, your running speed shold be reduced. However since BIS don't have the animations for it, it won't happen.

If it's exactly like in OFP, why are so many people campaigning to bring back OFP style movement? Flashpoint had some lousy animations, but not as many as ArmA. And back to my original point, I would stay away from the army if I was as clumsy as the soldiers in the game. In fact I'd apply for an excercise course for the mentally and motorically challenged.

I assume that *everyone* experiences the mouse lag bug(/possibly all control input lag) and just blame it on the animations.

I have 2 PCs, 1 AMD+ati and 1 AMD+nvidia and both had the horrible mouse lag until i fixed the render frames ahead stuff or increased the FPS alot. As the second one isnt worth the sacrifice of detail i just chose the first, and now movement feels almost the same as in OFP, the only difference is how the animations themselves look, but the speed and feeling is the same as in OFP.

(And OFP had it perfect IMO, i dont know how much the soldiers in OFP/ArmA carry, but when im moving around with 35kg on my back (=60% of my own weight, yeah im light), im not nearly as agile as i normally am. Try it yourself some time.)

Anyway, we are getting a bit offtopic but if you want we can continue by PM, at least everyone seems to agree on a 'cancel reload' option, although we already knew this from the last 3 discussions about this.

IMO you should be able to run and reload but the reload should take longer than normal. Also, during insertion of the magazine, your running speed shold be reduced. However since BIS don't have the animations for it, it won't happen.

The community can also create all the new needed animations to allow all of this stuff and probably assign different animations to different type of weapons.

Solus has allready created some new animations and they work great in ArmA so when someone really wants this implemented they could ask him how to.

And in a side note, in the SLX mod (unreleased yet) you first select Binocs (B-button (default)) then press Sights-up (V-button (default)) to show the default binoc view, so when you want to move you put down the binoc and are able to walk around. Works great allthough you need to relearn how to use the binocs and not forget to use the V-button

Cancelling the reload should be very easy with a script, in fact I will make a script for it soon if nobody makes one after reading this.

You should be able to throw a magazine out and put a full one in on the move but what about a belt fed M249, M240 or PKM? They all use the same anims and reload times (unfortunetly).

I think old discussions already provided good solutions and ideas on this but its not something to expect in Arma i guess.

Valid point! Exactly what is the soldier doing?

Keeping spent mags and putting them back into the vest?

It would be fine if the character was spec-ops for example and has a dumpbag, otherwise it'd take longer to reload.

Would be cool if the soldier could just drop the spent mag and reach for a fresh one. I often shoot off a few rounds when RTB in Evo for example to clear odd-numbered mags...it really should just be dropped on the floor as an option.

And back on topic lol. Where do I vote? - Its bites that if you are compromised when reloading you can't run quickly to evade. Is it a physical limitation or does it just need to be animated?

The binoculars thing sux too. whistle.gif

Valid point! Exactly what is the soldier doing?

It would be fine if the character was spec-ops for example and has a dumpbag, otherwise it'd take longer to reload.

Would be cool if the soldier could just drop the spent mag and reach for a fresh one. I often shoot off a few rounds when RTB in Evo for example to clear odd-numbered mags...it really should just be dropped on the floor as an option.

And back on topic lol. Where do I vote? - Its bites that if you are compromised when reloading you can't run quickly to evade. Is it a physical limitation or does it just need to be animated?

The binoculars thing sux too. whistle.gif

I like the idea of keeping mags cause the amount of times I reload i would be out faster then BF2. Also, theres been many times where I'm at a side of a wall, and i'm shooting guys and i'm reloading and they start shooting back, and I can't get back to the wall cause i'm stuck reloading my gun and end up dying. I hope BIS reads this and ends up adding in the cancel options or something. If not, i'd like to try it in a mod and see how it feels to finally be able to escape frozen there reloading a gun.

Exactly what is the soldier doing?

Probably. Thats what you need to do, you need the empty mags to reload later (in RL).

Exactly what is the soldier doing?

Probably. Thats what you need to do, you need the empty mags to reload later (in RL).

You do that in real life, because in real life you also get 5.56mm rounds in ammo boxes and have to load your magazines yourself.

In the game, however, you go to an ammobox (or a body) and pick up new magazines.

Therefore, you should just eject the old magazine and jam in a new one.

I was US Army infantry for 3 years. We practiced reloading quickly a good bit, but never while on the move. With an M16/M4, I'd imagine that it could be done fairly easily while walking, but probably not while running, and definitely not with any of the belt-fed weapons. For one, it would be really difficult just because you are moving around so much, and also it wouldn't be advisable because there are a lot more things that could go wrong. It's one thing if you are behind cover and are reloading and your mag slips out of your fingers... No big deal, pick it up, make sure no dirt got in it and that the rounds are still lined up properly, load up and start putting lead down range.

Running, on the other hand--your mag slips out of your hand, you accidentally kick it on its way down, it goes 2m to your left, hits the ground hard, two rounds come unseated off the spring, and you have to stop, turn around, look for your mag, bend down and pick it up, wipe a hunk of mud off of the part that goes into the magazine well, reseat the two rounds that moved forward... All the while somebody might be shooting at you, and/or you have little or no cover. Thus you are forced to either recover your dropped mag, which takes time, or leave it and waste 28-30 rounds for no good reason.

Also, as was pointed out, you don't want to throw away your spent mags in combat unless you absolutely must. You can probably get more rounds later on, but you might not be able to get more magazines. All the ammo in the world will not help you if you have no magazines to fire it from. If you go cold and an enemy is 25m in front about to ventilate you, sure, get rid of the empty mag as fast as you can and reload a fresh one. Otherwise you will probably either put a spent mag back in a magazine pouch, put it in your cargo pocket, or throw it down the front of your shirt.

I think the point is being missed.

IRL People choose not to reload while moving but they are perfectly capable of doing so if they want to. I'm sure that in combat if you were on the move, with no nearby cover and needed to reload you would.

In ArmA reloading while on the move is prevented because of an animation that the engine chooses to display. There is also the bug that if you look around during reloading, your view snaps back to the direction you were looking at when you hit reload. These are game limitations that do not reflect the RL ability of a person to do more than one task at a time.

Just another example of a code driven limitation driving game play, rather than a reasonable attempt to reflect reality.

My $0.02.