Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

RealM136 addon do not use extended eventhandler and are uncompatible with alot of addons.

Love the update but still a small annoyance I find. On some vehicles mostly the smaller ones the flames are basically bigger then the actual vehicle and to me at least, I think this looks a tad stupid. Not really your fault as its the same without this mod.

But just wondering is there anything you can do to fix this? Such as reduce the width of the flames?

Other then that I love the update.

RealM136 addon do not use extended eventhandler and are uncompatible with alot of addons.

aaaAAAAAaaahhhhhh...so that explains that. Thanks, didn't know that. Weird it worked with the previous version and not the new I had thought, but oh well...it's not a matter of life or death if I don't have the backblast flash, hehe. Thanks for explaining that. thumbs-up.gif

Edit; Matt nv mind i got it sorted tis working a treat now, I forgot to do something thats all whistle.gif

Good smile_o.gif

Love the update but still a small annoyance I find. On some vehicles mostly the smaller ones the flames are basically bigger then the actual vehicle and to me at least, I think this looks a tad stupid. Not really your fault as its the same without this mod.

But just wondering is there anything you can do to fix this? Such as reduce the width of the flames?

Other then that I love the update.

Which vehicles? I can give different vehicles their own burning effects. Tanks and choppers already have their own, longer lasting burn and smoke effects.

@Betsalel: If that RealM136 addon is preventing the AT backblast because it doesn't support extended EH, then it's probably preventing other effects from working too.

Well that's what puzzles me, because I got the new rain and everything else.......except that darn back flash. What I did was went into my launcher and first tried the game with just your effects and everything was fine. then I added DM's addon....again fine. Started loading up other mods--also fine. But the moment I checked the box for the RealM136 mod and tried it, that's when the flash stopped....and yet I still have all the other effects. It worked fine with the previous version though. wow_o.gif

Ah well, what can ya do. Probably the only solution is to just either play without it or play with it and get stuck with that damn tube stuck in my hands after I fired a round out. (and yes I realize how dirty that sounds nener.gif )

One small thing that always bugs me is when trees get run over they just simply fall... would it be easy to add a sort of dirt explosion at the base of the tree? Sort of like, roots being uprooted and sending just a little bit of dirt up? Nothing huge, but come on, a tank knocking over a tree is not just gonna turn it over in the cheesy way thats shown now...

smile_o.gif just a little suggestion seeing as you're so good at making ArmA look good smile_o.gif

Thanks for the great updates!

3 things about the new rain.

1) Looks awesome =)

2) When you go too fast, it looks like you are leaving the rain area, and then it jumps back over you.

3) It rains inside.

....and yet I still have all the other effects.

I don't think so. Lie down on the ground and fire an MG on full auto. Do you see dust get kicked up below the muzzle? Anything that relies on a fired EH will not work, at least not for infantry. Not sure exactly how that addon works so I can't be sure.

One small thing that always bugs me is when trees get run over they just simply fall... would it be easy to add a sort of dirt explosion at the base of the tree? Sort of like, roots being uprooted and sending just a little bit of dirt up? Nothing huge, but come on, a tank knocking over a tree is not just gonna turn it over in the cheesy way thats shown now...

I would love to do that, but there doesn't seem to be a way to detect falling trees. Not possible sadly sad_o.gif

3 things about the new rain.

1) Looks awesome =)

2) When you go too fast, it looks like you are leaving the rain area, and then it jumps back over you.

3) It rains inside.

1) Thanks smile_o.gif

2) I know. It's difficult to solve, but I'll try.

3) I know, so does the BIS rain. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about that, but again - I'll try.

Mmm... i forgot that BIS rain goes inside, i usually just ignored it.

Yours it too good looking to ignore.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it =)

I don't think so. Lie down on the ground and fire an MG on full auto. Do you see dust get kicked up below the muzzle?

Yeah you're right, its not just the BB, but also the dust under the muzzle. However, I did still get the new puffs when you shoot and your rain effects and such....so at least some things are still working. What I did was unchecked all the boxes, ran Arma in its regular fashion and look at all the default effects, then I clicked the box for your addon and reloaded the game and did the same tests and noticed differences right away. Then I clicked the box for realm136 addon, still got the effects (rain, puffs, etc) but no backblast and now that you said something, no dust from under the muzzle when firing off a MG prone.

Oh well, but like I said it's not that big of a deal. I enjoy all your work man, great stuff. thumbs-up.gif

Too bad your rain effects collide with XAM... sad_o.gif

Anyways it's getting hard to find a good mix and compatibility of mods.

@XAM, @ArmAEffects, @DMSmokeEffects, @Suppression, @NWD_Ballistics, @NWD_Scopefix, @DurgsVegetationFix, @FDF_Sound, @Proper, @TrueMods, @SIX, @Q11

not to mention all the little mods which I have in my @UserAddons folder (like real M136, sandbagfix, unit replacement...)

crazy_o.gif

some of the mods are colliding with each other and preventing their effects....

Hope to see someonw like Thunderbird84, making a TC for AmA, since TB won't do it until ArmA2 is out.

smile_o.gif just a little suggestion seeing as you're so good at making ArmA look good smile_o.gif

Thanks for the great updates!

Having seen lots of trees fall over, I can assure you that no such dirt explosion happens. They just fall over and make lots of noise.

I replied to you here.

XAM isn't made to be compatible with other mods. RealM136 addon, as stated on the previous page, will stop some effects from working.

Hey Matt, the stuff lebson506th said aside, the new version is awesome. The rain looks unbelievably good and actually continues to add immersion even further.

Love the new dust kickup when firing and the just all the effects in general. Absolutely astounding!

xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Which vehicles? I can give different vehicles their own burning effects. Tanks and choppers already have their own, longer lasting burn and smoke effects.

Well its mostly visibile on choppers and on cars such as the UAZ but in my opinion the flames look a bit big on most vehicles but the above are most visible.

Edit - Would it also be possible that tanks dont necesarily burn all the time too? Like a small random chance that it will just billow with smoke. Like in FDF (I think it was) tanks would sometimes burn or sometimes they would just smoke a lot.

I agree with 456820, the flames are quite big. Vehicles are engulfed in flames. I also notice a big drop in FPS when flames are on the screen, maybe smaller flames will help that also?

Somehow I missed this addon... Tried it last night, wow, thanks for such a great addition to the game! Great work Matt.

Question. If I make a SP mission and I have this addon, do other people need to have it too in order to play my mission? Or they just would have regular effects, but still can play. In other words, do I need to mention that this addon is required to play my mission?

I've had some weird problems with the latest version of your mod. It's crashed some missions. It loads up to the end, and then just stops, or in the case of an editor mission, goes all the way to the black "Loading" screen and then locks up. It's definitely your addon, since it works again when I remove it. Well, either your addon or the extended init eventhandlers. sad_o.gif

Then again, half the time it works just perfectly with no problems whatsoever. So...beats me. It's such a beautiful addon though, wouldn't want to play without it. Sigh.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Edit: It seems it might have to do with the extended eventhandlers, not necessarily your addon. Hmm. Will be investigated.

Regards,

Wolfrug

No probs here.

Apart from the general savegame bug which the latest version

of this addon adds it share (even more) too.

This may seem like shameless plugging, but it's really not. confused_o.gif But at least these two missions (which have no addons in common) seem to be bugged with regards to MaddMatt's effects:

Piper Warrior Tour Guide

O-Team Beta

Basically they both get stuck on the loading screen. Manzilla commented there that he too couldn't get O-Team to load. So there's definitely something going on here. And I think it's actually not MaddMatt's effects: just having the extended init/fire eventhandlers in your addons folder is enough to get the same effect. sad_o.gif

help.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

About the flames: I'll consider the suggestions. The way they are now, the large flames on tanks/chopper should shrink to a smaller flame after a few minutes.

Adding a random chance that the flame will not be there would mean that I'll have to script it. Right now it's done in the config. Maybe I'll script it in a later version.

Just wondering, does the brightness of the flames bother anyone? How do you guys like it compared the the flames on V0.4? These bright ones seem to affect HDR a bit too much at times.

@.COMmunist: No, they wont need this addon to play it.

@Wolfrug: That's weird. I'll have a look at those missions.

Apart from the general savegame bug which the latest version

of this addon adds it share (even more) too.

Not really. It only creates a game logic and stores stuff on it using the setvariable command. So it only creates 1 global variable. That hardly affects savegames wink_o.gif

I did it that way because of that annoying bug. It will be fixed in the 1.09 patch anyway.

That is correct Maddmatt. You only add one gvar. smile_o.gif

I am didn't test the source of the savegame bug myself.

Yet I am unsure, if its only the number of global variables or more

about the general size of the savegame.

If the bug is only related to the gvars, you are correct.

Otherwise check what is to be found in savegames with flea's

text / config editor laza.

I am didn't test the source of the savegame bug myself.

Yet I am unsure, if its only the number of global variables or more

about the general size of the savegame.

If the bug is only related to the gvars, you are correct.

Otherwise check what is to be found in savegames with flea's

text / config editor laza.

Over 240 global vars = crash. I have checked saves with Laza. I even posted this a while ago.

By the way, there is a new version of the RealM136 addon that's compatible with my mod. Next version of XAM will also be compatible.

Edit: Linked to wrong bug tracker entry. Corrected link.

I like the flames they way they are now. I don't think the fires are too big. If we can take a look at other version and compare, maybe then I can say that I don't like this current version. But for now, it looks fantastic.

the flames hmmm the 04 version's flames had some thing different in them can't quite put my finger on it, but i liked them as for the new fames I like them also they are smoother. But what I do miss in this version over the last version is the black smoke doesn't seem to be there as long.

But I would assume you scaled that back a bit for better performance reasons.

Edit I love that video on the first page best arma vid I've seen.