Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

ArmA Effects

I guess that rain is like marmite, you either love it or hate it smile_o.gif

I just think rain looks like allot of small droplets, not a swaying gif looking image of thick long blobs randomly falling around. I mean if you want realism then can anyone HONESTLY say that rain effect is close?? Im not knocking Matt or anything, I just guess the engines way of producing rain isn't that great to mod.

I just feel that small part of the mod is fixing what isn't really broken anyway IMHO and compared to everything else matt has done, it not being included I dont feel anyone would cry about.

One question, if this was the rain that came vanilla out the box, how long would it take for a modder to make is more subtle? I thinks that my point.

Has anyone tried it in the day, does anyone see the milky effect on screen? Its like low level fog all around, a bit like walking into a smoke grenade and standing there but its about 70 percent transparent, its only like that when it rains and then frame by frame clears as the rain ends and fades. This is vanilla with just the new version of this mod (and queens gambit). The rain in the day to me is just this annoying "graphic thing" all over my screen randomly, not really immersive rain as such.

I have 8800GTS ... so wonder if thats anything to do with it (fog issues etc).

Anyone with Queens gambit and a 8800 and this new version and no other mods, do they get the same?

Love the rest of it, want to kill the rain to enjoy it ... otherwise Ive just reverted back to previous version.

@mrcash2009: The rain in my mod is a particle effect, the original rain effect is completely removed and replaced by a scripted particle effect. The 'milky fog' is a slight white transparent texture used in place of the stock 2D rain texture. It seems to be more intense on 8800 cards though, I guess I'll remove it in my next update.

I wasn't sure whether to include that for or not. It adds a subtle mist effect to the rain, which personally I like. Without it things just look, well, uglier.

Maybe I'll tweak the rain particle texture so it still looks good without the mist effect. I'll see what I can do.

If other mods prevent the rain effect and you only get the mist, then it's because they are not compatible with the extended EH addon. That will also cause other effects to stop working.

As for the weapon smoke: I'll look into it. I actually made that for OFP ages ago and then changed it a bit when I added it to this mod. I tried to get it to look real, after watching some real videos. Maybe I'll tweak it some more.

If you really want to get rid of the rain mist, you can change the 'invisible.paa" texture in the pbo to be completely transparent. Right now it's at 50%. Just open up textview 2 and make a new 4x4 texture using the "generate" tool. That will break the signature though.

Edit: And as for 'fixing what isn't really broken'. Well, the original ArmA rain effect is a pathetic 2D texture overlaid on screen. IMO that really isn't good enough wink_o.gif

I know my rain effect does need more work though. I'll try to improve it.

Ok Matt cheers mate smile_o.gif

I think that if you can capture that wind in rain look but still keep it a tad more subtle, the drops just not as thick and clumsy looking in batches as they are now (in-turn not using that fog effects / lessening it which differs on users Pc's) to hide it as then it wouldn't need to be hidden more biggrin_o.gif then thats all i would add to it mate.

But I can confirm that mist effect is very much in the way on 8800.

I actually like crappy weather to make it more immersive (old Ghost Recon 1 fan pistols.gif ) so that rain gets in my way at the moment.

Cheers in advance on looking into those points, I will fiddle and remove things for now.

Maybe "fixing what isn't broken" was a strong point ... I think that the original is too less and yours is too much the other way I guess biggrin_o.gif

And to keep on a cups half full moment ... the rest of it is "dope" thumbs-up.gif

same for me: the mist when it rains is rather annoying. especially at night (w.no night goggles activated). Everything brightens up dramatically, with exception of the gun which remains pitch black. Looks wrong. Besides: I also agree to offer a "non-Rain" version maybe. It's symbiot's rain, isn't it? Looks like in those vids. Never got it to work with his addon though. Rain looks much better here, but I wouldn't mind if you skip it. Other than that, it's the most impressive addition to ArmA to date. Those new effects look truly great. I especially like the new grenade smoke effects and explosions/fires. GREAT. thanks

edit: the rain also lacks those impact drops on the ground. removed?

same for me: the mist when it rains is rather annoying. especially at night (w.no night goggles activated). Everything brightens up dramatically, with exception of the gun which remains pitch black.

Oh crap. I'll remove the mist then.

I'll try to improve the rain and release a small V0.51 update soon.

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]edit: the rain also lacks those impact drops on the ground. removed?

No. They should still be there. Unless I removed them by mistake. huh.gif

Released V0.51. Mist effect removed and tweaked the rain. Did a quick tweak to the weapon smoke too.

Download from MiHD.net.

Incredible! Your new rain effects are great. The effect of rain moving around you and obscuring your view is very convincing. I did like the mist in version .5, but I have an ATI card, so I don't know what the nvidia guys were seeing.

The ground splash is very hard to see with your pronounced rain on top of it. Is there a way to bump the splash effect up?

I would love to hear what Mark Spanel thinks with this addon enabled. It really enhances the ArmA experience, thanks for making it.

Ooooooh nicey nicey Mattey Mattey....  yay.gif

Btw, the getVariable isn't needed anymore from 1.09 and onwards due to fixed global vars for saves.

In ArmA1 it will not matter though, but ArmA2 will have new precompiling optimizations etc, and then the getVariable will be slower than using global vars for functions and scripts smile_o.gif

Im reworking my own scripts back to globalVars :P

Hello, great work again!

Only one issues i found so far:

The BRDM has no muzzleflash anymore when firing his Main-Gun.

So you cant see anymore when it is firing...

Im using your mod with the latest six-sense pack and your mod is loaded last.

Regards, Christian

Incredible! Your new rain effects are great. The effect of rain moving around you and obscuring your view is very convincing. I did like the mist in version .5, but I have an ATI card, so I don't know what the nvidia guys were seeing.

The ground splash is very hard to see with your pronounced rain on top of it. Is there a way to bump the splash effect up?

Mist was more intense on the 8800 cards. Looked fine on my 7800GT though. I was shown a screenshot of it on an 8800 and I could see that it was more intense.

As for the ground splash, I'll see what I can do. I think the default splash could use an improvement so maybe I'll work on it.

Quote[/b] ]

I would love to hear what Mark Spanel thinks with this addon enabled. It really enhances the ArmA experience, thanks for making it.

LOL yea, I wonder if the guys at BIS have tried it biggrin_o.gif

Btw, the getVariable isn't needed anymore from 1.09 and onwards due to fixed global vars for saves.

In ArmA1 it will not matter though, but ArmA2 will have new precompiling optimizations etc, and then the getVariable will be slower than using global vars for functions and scripts smile_o.gif

Im reworking my own scripts back to globalVars :P

It wont take long to get my scripts back to global vars, so I'll change back to global vars when 1.09 is released. I don't think it's really necessary until ArmA 2 though. I'll probably have to remake large parts of the mod for ArmA 2 anyway, unless BIS actually use the same particle effects crazy_o.gif

Only one issues i found so far:

The BRDM has no muzzleflash anymore when firing his Main-Gun.

So you cant see anymore when it is firing...

Odd huh.gif I don't see how this mod could effect the BRDM like that. Have you compared both with and without the mod?

Do you mean the actual flame muzzleflash or the smoke that comes out?

Thanks to the ArmA sites for updating your mirrors so fast. The first post has been updated with all the mirrors.

This mod keeps on getting better and better. The new tweaked smoke-effects and the explosions aswell, are top notch m8! notworthy.gif

Keep up the good work, Matt. thumbs-up.gif

Some effects are better than vanilla ArmA and some are bit too much like in action movies. Each to his own. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Odd huh.gif I don't see how this mod could effect the BRDM like that. Have you compared both with and without the mod?

Do you mean the actual flame muzzleflash or the smoke that comes out?

Neither flame nor smoke comes out of the muzzle of its main-gun.

The Coaxial PK in it, has some "muzzle-smoke"

And:

Nope i havent compared it with and without your mod - but ill do asap.

Regards, Christian

Aamzing stuff. Love the new fire tweaks and smoke, still checking it out but the brunt of it looks awesome!

Matt,

Just tried it out :

1. I cannot see any rain at all when your newer mod version is installed, I here the rain etc but see absolutely nothing.

(I tested vanilla, with your mod off 2d rain is viewable as normal vanilla, with your mod on, no viewable rain at all).

Not sure whats been tweaked in this new version but its now so subtle its invisible tounge2.gif

2. I can also confirm that muzzle flash is missing also.

3. The gun smoke fire effect i touched on before is the same problem with odd delay, although I have worked out what it is ..

Fire non zoomed and the smoke coming out is perfect, zoom right in and then fire causes a half a second delay and looks odd. So zoomed in (right mouse button in my case) will cause this obvious delay with smoke which was the same as before. Non zoomed and its fine.

Again i have 8800 if that might cause all this. And again tested vanilla & just your mod. I also tried it with my modded setup and the same things anyway.

Some effects are better than vanilla ArmA and some are bit too much like in action movies. Each to his own. smile_o.gif

Yea, it's hard to get them to look real. Give suggestions, and maybe I can improve that smile_o.gif

Neither flame nor smoke comes out of the muzzle of its main-gun.

The Coaxial PK in it, has some "muzzle-smoke"

And:

Nope i havent compared it with and without your mod - but ill do asap.

Regards, Christian

I don't see how I could have removed the flame, it's part of the model. The smoke - that's possible. confused_o.gif I haven't tried it myself yet.

1. I cannot see any rain at all when your newer mod version is installed, I here the rain etc but see absolutely nothing.

(I tested vanilla, with your mod off 2d rain is viewable as normal vanilla, with your mod on, no viewable rain at all).

Either you don't have the Extended event handler addons (included with the mod) installed or you have a mod running that is conflicting with them.

Quote[/b] ]2. I can also confirm that muzzle flash is missing also.
Weird. I'll look into it.
Quote[/b] ]3. The gun smoke fire effect i touched on before is the same problem with odd delay, although I have worked out what it is ..

Fire non zoomed and the smoke coming out is perfect, zoom right in and then fire causes a half a second delay and looks odd. So zoomed in (right mouse button in my case) will cause this obvious delay with smoke which was the same as before. Non zoomed and its fine.

Again i have 8800 if that might cause all this. And again tested vanilla & just your mod. I also tried it with my modded setup and the same things anyway.

Weird huh.gif

Maybe the camera is too close to the smoke when you zoom, so it's not rendered until it moves away.

Quote[/b] ]Either you don't have the Extended event handler addons (included with the mod) installed or you have a mod running that is conflicting with them.

As I say its vanilla with your mod added as -mod@armaeffects and the addons folder within this has all the files you supplied including the event handlers, I haven't ever put any mod files into the stock BIS addons folder either.

I can even place it over Xam and no matter what this new mod version removes the rain (which I cant work out either).

I tested fully with no mods (= rain visible), with your mod & xam (= no rain visible) with your mod only (= no rain visible) ... take your mod out, xam only (= rain visible), take xam and back to vanilla with no mods (= rain visible). The only time rain is missing visualy is when your mod (this latest version) is introduced.

Quote[/b] ]

Weird huh.gif

Maybe the camera is too close to the smoke when you zoom, so it's not rendered until it moves away.

No, its hard to explain but it acts exactly as it should do zoomed or un-zoomed, but the difference is zoomed will cause the cloud puff to appear later than un zoomed = a timing delay which looks odd. Its not like zooming will make it wait, its just delayed more no matter what once im zoomed.

While I haven't had a chance to spend too much time with this latest version MM I'd just like to say, what I've seen so far is simply amazing. The only complaint I can level is about the rain inside of buildings but this isn't your issue, it's Bis'.

I just want to say that your mod has gone from some simple eye candy to a MUST HAVE addition to ArmA.

As I say its vanilla with your mod added as -mod@armaeffects and the addons folder within this has all the files you supplied including the event handlers, I haven't ever put any mod files into the stock BIS addons folder either.

It works for me and for other people. So something must be wrong there. Check your addon folder and remove any non official addons. Anything without a BIS signature file is not official.

Try running without mod folders and put everything in your stock addons folder to make sure no other addons are being used. If it still doesn't work, then I don't know huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]

No, its hard to explain but it acts exactly as it should do zoomed or un-zoomed, but the difference is zoomed will cause the cloud puff to appear later than un zoomed = a timing delay which looks odd. Its not like zooming will make it wait, its just delayed more no matter what once im zoomed.

That is really weird. I haven't tested for it myself. I'll get more time for ArmA tomorrow.

Although that effect seems to screw up completely in MP anyway (even the BIS one) so maybe I should script a completely new one.

@-Duke-: Thanks. Maybe someday I'll figure out a way to stop rain showing up in buildings. I'm sure it's possible, but it might be damn hard.

Matt,

After confusing myself !? crazy_o.gif .. I have to double back slightly on the rain conflict problem.

I can confirm that either before or after in mod loading the rain will disappear either way with this new version and XAM 1.35.

So ...

Could you release a "non rain" version? So people can have your mod running with xam and keeping the old rain, because combined you get no rain at all.

I tried a few things in xams files but nothing worked.

Also the smoke fire zoom delay & muzzle flash missing is still happening (and thats no conflicts and deffo vanilla and your mod, even over xam or without xam thats still happening).

Excellent !

I love your effects... I'll test the new version (with rain !wink_o.gif and come back for comment wink_o.gif

Malick