Sign in to follow this  
celery

Separate editing forums - was it a good idea?

Some time ago for unknown reasons the mission editing & scripting forum was moved to its separate forum section consisting of ArmA Editing, OFP Editing and Editing News groups. That means we have to take that extra turn from the root page with specific intent to look at those forums in order to read what's happening scripting side. Newer members use the user missions forum to ask about scripts and mission making because the actual editing section is hard to find.

Does the majority of readers think that it was a good solution to clean the game specific sections of editing discussion, or was it a bad idea because it makes the editing forums less visible and harder to get to? Personally I'd like to see the editing forums come back under their specific games.

Personally I'd like to see the editing forums come back under their specific games.

Hear hear.

voted no,

I dont like the change. You can talk about user missions, and new addon content, but not editing? For that you must exit out and find a different forum?

Yeah , thats betterer crazy_o.gif

From what I remember there was some reasoning behind the moval of the section, but I fail to remember what it was. huh.gif

I´d also like to see it back under the corresponding game section just for practical reasons.

I'd like to read why separating the editing forums is a good thing. In my opinion it only creates needless navigating for one forum that would be much more useful in its old place next to user missions.

I'd like to read why separating the editing forums is a good thing. In my opinion it only creates needless navigating for one forum that would be much more useful in its old place next to user missions.

Well, each editing subforum has 6 subforums within it..

But ive really no idea why the editing subforums are below offtopic, much more logical to place them with their own game. icon_rolleyes.gif

Why dont you ask a mod? smile_o.gif

wondered where the editing section had gone, heh, cheers.

would prefer the section back under Arma too

IMO it was a good idea but they should be above the offtopic subforum, now they are usually overlooked.

I agree. They are in section (or under it) which usually is considered to be unimportant.

Just before removing the editing thread from "ArmA - general" i was thinking the same thing that editing section should be somewhere else and and it should have more "subgroups", there was only one editing section (ArmA editing), was there?

My memory is vaining so i don't remeber the reason why i thought about it, but maybe because every "older than one day"-topic in editing section wen't old (to second or third page) soon as front page was almost totaly filled with new post daily.

-Ziggy- @ June 19 2007,12:42)]voted no,

I dont like the change. You can talk about user missions, and new addon content, but not editing? For that you must exit out and find a different forum?

Yeah , thats betterer crazy_o.gif

I liked the old way much better because it got much more attention, i hardly go into the editing fourm now. It just seems so far away it might sound stupid but it happens. I guess i was too used to the old style lol tounge2.gif

Has anyone noticed that polls are almost totally pointless in these forums? Looking at the results here, and then at the actual answers to the thread, I wonder who the hell is voting yes? I'm hardly seeing any answers from these people so far - almost everyone who answered the thread up to this time is against the change - but still the others appear to be the majority according to the poll.

This has happened in most polls I've been watching on these forums. It's almost as though some people are deliberately disrupting polls.

Sorry for the OT rant by the way. It's just something I've been noticing.

hello all,

I belive IMHO that all subforums should be kept under the game they relate to.

@MadDogX

Perhaps the poll isnt clear as to exactly what one is voting for, hence the "incorrect" votes? Or perhaps folk are deliberatly voting wrongly?

rgds

LoK

I got here just before they changed the forums. It's actually quite confusing when you have 3, 4 or 7 windows open. Especially when you are flipping through pages looking for stuff. While I am not complaining about speed, the forum load times from one forum to another are horrendous; adding to the disgruntlement. It's kinda like they are removing them from the more "mainstream" topics and discouraging editing. It may not be the intended goal, but it "appears" that way.

<span style='color:blue'>I liked them the way they were before, along with all the other forums under Armed Assault.</span>

One reason they might have changed them is to give them their own SQL database. Still, imho, I'd like them back under Armed Assault.

Could the "Yes, I like it the way it is now" people post with your reason why you like it?

banghead.gif

Could the mods/forum bosses participate in this discussion too? Since most of the people posting here don't like having the editing forums so far away, maybe we can work something out.

Not really no. Coz some new guy will most likely post in the wrong section..

Thinking there is no editing area ..

So please put it back where it belongs!!!....

PLus I have to Click to BI FORUMS then ARMA EDITING..

Too much clicking involved..

Not very healthy man!

Move it back PLeaaaaaase!!!

yay.gif

I don't think moving it was a good idea - I think it fit well in on the ArmA forum.

It makes it harder for newcomers to initially discover the mission editing forum, but once found we can bookmark it, at least  confused_o.gif

well i just dont see the sense why it should be located at the bottom of the main page of the forum... whats wrong with having it in the ArmA section? I just dont see what the necessity was for it to be moved.

If it aint broke, dont fix it IMO.

I think its taken away quite a bit of attention to the section also... plus people have now started asking questions in "User Missions" much more frequently since the move.

I know it is kinda pathetic, its only a few clicks away in a different place.. but i still dunno why it was moved :S

To mods or whatever, plz move it back! thumbs-up.gif

xmas_o.gif Christmas is in about 5 months xmas_o.gif

I've never liked the way the editing stuff was in a completly different subsection of the forum. It seems to me to isolate the editors from everybody else, which imho is bad. Why can't everything under ARMA EDITING be put under ARMA: ARMED ASSAULT / COMBAT OPERATIONS instead? Hell, put everything under OFP EDITING under OPERATION FLASHPOINT too.

Edit:

Unless I'm misreading this and you want the ofp and arma editing boards to be merged, which IMHO is a *bad* idea. There's too much from ofp that doesn't relate well to arma and vice versa.

Voted no under the impression that:

Yes = Keep things as they are

No = Move ArmA editing forum to ArmA Section

Didn't know there was an editing forum... I thought they all go under Addons and Mods... (didn't look hard enough, I was crazy_o.gif)

<span style='color:red'>Not one "yes it was a good idea" post yet.</span>