Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

What would you like to see?

I wish for nothing more than the US Army to get a full set of everything, vehicles, weapons, armor and otherwise instead of being half-made Marines in ACU.

No disrespect intended at all to the USMC, but in the gaming world it seems the regular Army is always playing second-fiddle to either SF units or the Marines. (Honourable mention made of Americas Army).

and also: a lot of USMC stuff is already in the game: the Harrier, the Abrams, the Hummer, the M-16A4, the M-249 and the M-240. some would even think that BIS included the M-16A4 set of rifles in preparation for the introduction of the USMC in ArmA..

The Hummer, M249, M240, are all Multi Branch and Multi National weapons.

However I would agree with giving each one its own set of teams. Except combine Airforce with Army (since army doesn't do any jets anymore really)

Although if they do add another country, Should most likely be UK, because their work with us more often, well, other than the Canadians and Australians.

And as stated previously, I do feel the Army does get pushed down too much to other Branches. It seems like most game developers don't know the difference between Army and Marines, and they put Marines in what are usually Army roles. Each branch while having a lot of the same roles, do tend to have their own. And for the most part the Island, while the initial strike would be done by marines, the Occupational force and the Training of the Royal Military would have be done by the Army.

But as we have all seen, the Marines always get all the glory, no matter how much work any other branch does.

in the gaming world it seems the regular Army is always playing second-fiddle to either SF units or the Marines. (Honourable mention made of Americas Army).

really? i don't recall that many games with the USMC in them.

The Hummer, M249, M240, are all Multi Branch and Multi National weapons.

However I would agree with giving each one its own set of teams. Except combine Airforce with Army (since army doesn't do any jets anymore really)

Although if they do add another country, Should most likely be UK, because their work with us more often, well, other than the Canadians and Australians.

i never said they weren't Multi Branch. i know they are. so is the M9 sidearm, the M4 carbine and the M82 anti-material rifle. since they are Multi Branch they could be used for the USMC without any changes.

and i agree with the UK being closest to the US Armed Forces. if they should decide to add another country, it should be the UK, that is for sure. but i still think the USMC would make more sense. and of course the Navy SEALs; Sahrani is an island, after all.

I hardly know of any games that are dedicated to Army anymore. Other than Americas Army. Battlefield 2 was USMC based, Their are multiple USMC games. A USMC based game almost Identical to AA (although it was released too soon and very buggy) Marine Sniper, etc. Any game that doesn't take p residence over real life missions, tends to be based on Marines.

Now games like Blackhawk Down which is based on a real event, are one of few games dedicated to the Army. (And Americas army but that was made by the army)

I just feel that after years of serving in the Army that too many people worship the marines and yet they know nothing of the Marines, Army, or Airforce, they just hear all of the propaganda and think the marines do all of the fighting. Yet people don't realize that the Army has a larger ground force.

I think Sahrani is too limited as a scenario at the moment (SLA is tiny and no match for US military, anyway who cares WHO wins to be honest, nothing much is at stake)- an official expansion should include a major escalation of the conflict with new countries entering, such as the arrival of Chinese military firstly to train and support the North, then to fight alongside them as global east-west relations hit a new low....

Got to recapture that feeling from OFP of being involved in huge historical events....

I think Sahrani is too limited as a scenario at the moment (SLA is tiny and no match for US military, anyway who cares WHO wins to be honest, nothing much is at stake)- an official expansion should include a major escalation of the conflict with new countries entering, such as the arrival of Chinese military firstly to train and support the North, then to fight alongside them as global east-west relations hit a new low....

Got to recapture that feeling from OFP of being involved in huge historical events....

Well, if we do set an enemy military to help train them, it needs to be a country who better fits the profile. Most of the Opfor weapons are cheap Russian rifles, so It would most likely be a middle eastern or African nation training them. Seeing as China has been modernizing its own military and making masses of its own gear these days.

Plus there is a reason they made up an island, so if anything they should make another fake Place, maybe a larger Island, or an edge of a continent.

How about some decent OPFOR weapons and units.

Units: varied paras & ministry of interior troops and various insurgent types.

Aircraft: SU-25, AN-22, MI-26

Armoured vechicles: T90, BMP3, BTR-80

Naval: Project 1232.2 Zubr Pomornik class Amphibious landing craft

Firearms/RPG: RPG-29, AN-94 Abakan, 6G-30, vss val

Guest Ti0n3r

A new realistic and interesting campaign, á CWC & Resistance.

No disrespect intended at all to the USMC, but in the gaming world it seems the regular Army is always playing second-fiddle to either SF units or the Marines.

That's rather normal, sf and marines have a better marketing impact than the regular army, especially on the american market: better marketing impact = better expected sales, hence, the conclusion is easy to find.

But i agree with you, bis should make a full set for the us army, and not a half set for the us army, the other set for marines which make the game a bit wobbly and disappointing on this specific point.

Well, if we do set an enemy military to help train them, it needs to be a country who better fits the profile. Most of the Opfor weapons are cheap Russian rifles, so It would most likely be a middle eastern or African nation training them. Seeing as China has been modernizing its own military and making masses of its own gear these days.

Plus there is a reason they made up an island, so if anything they should make another fake Place, maybe a larger Island, or an edge of a continent.

...so the expansion adds Chinese knock-off versions of AK47 (not hard to add) plus some new assault rifles and other weapons to make life harder for the west..... not exactly difficult?

Anyway it doesnt have to be China. The point I'm trying to make is that the story behind ARMA has been almost totally neglected and needs lots of work (what is the strategic significance of 'Sahrani'; why is America sending military aid, are they worried about another Cuba scenario with China - or maybe Russia - moving missiles closer to US mainland so their new missile defence system has no time to react? Come on let's make a real story! )

Ultimately, and I really hope more game devs will realise this soon, it is the plot and characters which create immersion in a game above anything else. I'm sure that story writers will one day be as important to games development as coders and modellers.

I figured out what I would like to see: Hitching and towing.

Aircraft able to sling loads (not using a cheezy setpos hack) and trucks able to tow trailer around.

As far as the USMC worship goes... just look in the Squads and Fanpages forum 88% are USMC, 5% are Rangers, 5% are SEALS, and there's 2% regular army. Not counting the other country forces of course. As far as which branch would be realistically involved in Sahrani; that would depend on if the US launched an attack on a known hostile nation island (USMC) or if it was an ongoing peacekeeping effort with a long term presence (US Army). From what I can make of the story (if you can call it that) the US Army long term presence that got attacked seems the most likely to me.

Marines take a beach in 2 days. Army holds that beach for 2 years. I'm compelled to respect both.

Quote[/b] ]and also: a lot of USMC stuff is already in the game: the Harrier, the Abrams, the Hummer, the M-16A4, the M-249 and the M-240. some would even think that BIS included the M-16A4 set of rifles in preparation for the introduction of the USMC in ArmA...

I have to note that with only the exception of the Harrier, all that equipment just listed is used by BOTH the USMC and the US Army.

Quote[/b] ]I think Sahrani is too limited as a scenario at the moment (SLA is tiny and no match for US military, anyway who cares WHO wins to be honest, nothing much is at stake)- an official expansion should include a major escalation of the conflict with new countries entering, such as the arrival of Chinese military firstly to train and support the North, then to fight alongside them as global east-west relations hit a new low....

The problem with an escalated conflict is soon the resources brought to bear would out scale the tiny island in no time. A 155mm Howitzer can already fire well across the entire map corner to corner. F-15s Mig-29s, and hugely lethal modern weapon systems get rather too much for 20x20km as well as take a lot more work to model with any sort of seriousness.

And as stated previously, I do feel the Army does get pushed down too much to other Branches. It seems like most game developers don't know the difference between Army and Marines, and they put Marines in what are usually Army roles. Each branch while having a lot of the same roles, do tend to have their own. And for the most part the Island, while the initial strike would be done by marines, the Occupational force and the Training of the Royal Military would have be done by the Army.

But as we have all seen, the Marines always get all the glory, no matter how much work any other branch does.

really? but in ArmA we play an Army soldier. the whole US contingent on Sahrani is an Army Stryker Task Force.

the Marines only come to the rescue because they are closer and more mobile than the rest of the Army. most of the work in the campaign is done by the Army while the Marine supports the Army's efforts via air support (Harriers and Cobras) and armor (Abrams).

Content is not what BIS is good at.

Army-Marine mish mashes, every SF op in a Protect helmet, CROWS like turrets without any zoom, reloadable AT4s, big-red-dot M68 CCOs, gunfire sounds out of a cartoon, default loadouts that are laughable, etc etc.

But what BIS is good at is making an engine and an environment that people who are good at content can operate. And every once in a while they'll fix or add a feature that helps the content along.

Oh no, BIS can do what no mod team can, they can change, improve or introduce game/engine features properly.

Even going back to OPF no mod made an island as good as Nogova, with all new high quality buildings, vegetation, etc.

Modders will have to improve alot if they want to deliver consistent, quality work that matches Arma's default and still, most will use and edit original stuff anyway.

Being very bored of US stuff, my expantion wishlist:

[*] Whole new exotic island/setting. A mix of dry and bush land (Africa alike), more realistic looking environment.

[*] New units other than SLA and US. Think rebel forces, government, UN, civilians, etc.

[*] New weaponry, AK47's, RPK's, G3's, HK21's..

[*] Some animals, i really miss them.

[*] A great campaign.

[*] Few new vehicles, BTR's, trucks with MG mounts and jeeps.

The whole US army saves the world got old, not even realistic plus we have more than enough in the game already...

There is great room for an Arma expantion, BIS would include the patch work up to 1.8 and more.

I know i would really get 30€ worth of game content. It would allow for extra support, it would be just great notworthy.gif .

I hardly know of any games that are dedicated to Army anymore. Other than Americas Army. Battlefield 2 was USMC based, Their are multiple USMC games. A USMC based game almost Identical to AA (although it was released too soon and very buggy) Marine Sniper, etc. Any game that doesn't take p residence over real life missions, tends to be based on Marines.

Now games like Blackhawk Down which is based on a real event, are one of few games dedicated to the Army. (And Americas army but that was made by the army)

I just feel that after years of serving in the Army that too many people worship the marines and yet they know nothing of the Marines, Army, or Airforce, they just hear all of the propaganda and think the marines do all of the fighting. Yet people don't realize that the Army has a larger ground force.

i agree with your statement that the Army is often overlooked. the Marine Corps tends to have a more "legendary" reputation than the Army. it takes a bit of insight to be able to distinguish between what the Army does and what the Corps does. obviously, a lot of people, in and out of the gaming community and business, don't know that.

as for the USMC being more often portrayed in games than the Army, i'm really not sure if you're right. BF2 and Close Combat are USMC games, no doubt.

but there are Army games: Company of Heroes, Joint Task Force, Call of Duty series, Ghost Recon series, Vietcong, Delta Force series, Conflict: Vietnam, Brothers in Arms series.

modern Army games tend to focus on special ops, that's true.

Also an A-10 with LGB's would be extremely useful

Addweapon and removeweapon scripting commands can already do this. Look in the wiki. It's just a tiny bit of simple scripting to put in the init field of the A10.

Having the Weapon/Magazine classnames for the A10 Weapons would be useful, do you happen to know them?

All these things are on the wiki. Browse around and you will find all the info you need. And the fired eventhandler + hint and format commands can be used to find other weapon/ammo classnames.

Back on topic: I don't care for US stuff, got enough of the same equipment from OFP and many other games. Thee are loads of other wars and countries that games don't seem to bother with. I think it's about time we got something different.

Hi, i said that i'll like to see USMC units made by BIS, like LAV's,

AAAV7's, Hmmwv's, UH1's N & Y. For various reasons... we've M16's A4,

and AV8's; and the USMC is explicitly mentioned in the campaign.

For me, that will be reason enough to release a expansion disk with

a USMC themed campaign that goes about the USMC role in the

default campaign, Insertion, Close Air Support, Recon & Savotage

of defensive and transmision OPFOR possitions.

But... i think that's really too soon as for talk about a expansion disk

and i also think that gonna be really hard that BIS takes out the VBS2

some of the already made USMC units/vehicles and bring 'em down

to the ArmA levels. I'll like it; but is really too soon for such thing

and is also highly unprobable and hard that we get to see something

like this; i think. Let's C ya

I am not looking for any new weapons/vehicle from BIS what i am looking for is new features, better game perfomance optizimation, bug fixes, and better interference. To releasing tools to comunity whom can make to those all rest special contains of game like in OFP.

...Now assume they didn't make a hard cut after OFP:Resistance and instead kept developing -and selling-  a steadily evolving engine.

Maybe every 6 months a new update for 30$.

WHAT?huh.gif Are you kidding?

i think making an even bigger island would be a huge mistake. few people can enjoy Sahrani in all its glory as it is. most of us have to live with medium settings at best. the sheer size of the island is the main reason for the bad performance in this game.

if they decide to make a new island, it should be smaller. an "island-hopping" war scenario would be cool; create a group of island (3-4) similar to OpF and let the player wage war on each one. that way you'd have smaller islands = better performance while not sacrificing total size.

As far as the USMC worship goes... just look in the Squads and Fanpages forum 88% are USMC, 5% are Rangers, 5% are SEALS, and there's 2% regular army. Not counting the other country forces of course. As far as which branch would be realistically involved in Sahrani; that would depend on if the US launched an attack on a known hostile nation island (USMC) or if it was an ongoing peacekeeping effort with a long term presence (US Army). From what I can make of the story (if you can call it that) the US Army long term presence that got attacked seems the most likely to me.

Marines take a beach in 2 days. Army holds that beach for 2 years. I'm compelled to respect both.

I have to note that with only the exception of the Harrier, all that equipment just listed is used by BOTH the USMC and the US Army.

1. exactly. this is the situation we got in the current ArmA campaign. but this could be taken further by including a full Marine Corps instead of just single units that complement the Stryker Task Force. Sahrani is an island, so the Marine Corps could launch waterborne assaults on the North.

2. that's what i said. since those are Army and Marine weapons, it would make life easier for BIS. a lot of guns are already in the game and available to future Marine units. why did they decide to include a set of M-16A4 rifles anyway?

Unbeknownst to most people, this game had a website-armedassault.com- in 2000 or 2001 IIRC, at that point it looked like a pure USMC assault type game, included was an MH-53J/CH-53E cross on the deck of an LHA.

I would just like an MH-53J or M , fitted with GAU-17 and the proper .50 cal

-with the option to load a vehicle in the cabin (assault vehicle or RHIB craft) or load up 37+(55 max load with middle tropp seats installed) and carry a vehicle underneath on the cargo point, such as a TOW Hummer or Stryker.

The Heavy lift would be an awesome way to recover damaged/broken down vehicles and bring them back to base in Evolution.- Perhaps even deviver an AI based repair/rearm team to an area to fix the vehicles on site. It would be much quicker than driving the duece and a halfs , hoping you don't get blown to bits on the way.(BTW the repair/rearm/and refuel vehicles are an awesome part of this game)

Devs-please give this idea some serious thought.

The island could be bigger with no problem, what do you think was terrain streaming implemented for?

What i would like to see in an expansion?

Red Storm Rising. inlove.gif

But as this is to big, what about Independence Lost?