Sign in to follow this  
Spindry69

1.08 performance increase!

Exellent news guys,

downloadng it since before work, cant wait to get home and test it out.

Cant wait to play alongside you Yanks too.

Happy days!

Desert Island seem to have a little fps gain, Sahrani not. But it *feels* less jumpy and smoother. Fps are also much more stable.

Pentium 3.4 EE

1.5 Gig Ram

x1950 Pro 512M AGP

You're getting there BIS, hope ATI will perform some miracles as well  tounge2.gif

/Abbe

Definitely feels smoother. I usually test the in-city sluggishness by dropping a sniper on the main horizontal road in Corazol and zoom in on each street end, do a quick 360 spin, whatever. Could be a placebo effect of it being a new patch and all, but it definitely feels more sleek and less stuttery.

Add me too; *much* smoother ride with 1.08.

Not more FPS, but feels like butter gliding in da pan. wink_o.gif

With higher settings as well + more viewdistance.

(1280x1024 @ 3500m) see specs.

Finally, the 8800GTS 640 pays off with ArmA as well! (pheew!wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Thank you BIS, for this incredible, hard work!

yay.gifinlove.gif

Nothing to be proud of but heres my specification:

AMD XP 2700 (2.1GHz)

2 GB RAM

512MB Sapphire ATI X1600 Pro

Windows XP.

With the 1.08 patch. Everything is smoother and better.

Ofcourse with this specification, everything is on low settings.

Viewdistance is set to 1024

No Antialiasting, No Anisotropic.

1280x1024 resolution.

On SP, I can turn the Antialiasing to Normal/Low and have Anisotropic to the same levels without getting too much hardware lag.

Well done BIS.

guerilla @ June 11 2007,17:30)]what about the milkfog with 88xx series, still the same ? and did they improved the anims, sounds and ballistics ?

Still foggy...........

Must say performance seems way better but I wont say I'm impressed until further testing is done.

But the damn fog man so irritating!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my performance has increased too, spec...

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ - 1.8GHZ

768mb RAM

Geforce 6600 GT 256mb

Yeah I need to upgrade, half my new computer is in my room just need the other half to build it :d

I was able to put shadows on and turn Texture quality to Low as opposed to Very Low rofl.gif

The only problem is the LOD bug hasnt been fixed too well on my system. Downloaded 1.08 launched Sahrani in the editor placed a unit down and the first thing i saw was a half loaded tree. crazy_o.gif

But apart from that performance has definitely improved maybe not quite so much as I would have hoped but yet again I dont think I should be allowed to play games on a computer like mine.

This was great, I just happened to be recording FPS counts to tweak my system this morning and then I saw the patch. So I still had all my data from my 1.06 version. After I patched I went back in and did the same tests and found a major increase in missions not as script intensive. Overall, I had recorded an avg frame rate of 53.7 in a test setup for 60 seconds in 1.06 with a little test mission I have made, the same test resulted in a final tally of 59.6 after the patch!

One other note, I actually had moments where my frame rate hit 122. Before that I never broke 86 on this test Ive been using for over a month now. WOW BIS...great Job!

Phew! Feel like i just dodged a bullet!

Ran patch and noticed my FPS in 'delivery Boy' had gone down from 35 -10/14

crazy_o.gif

Then realized i had 3 mods running in launcher, unchecked them and bam, up to 38/45 fps. Haven't played long enough to see if lod problems that appeared on my 7900 after 1.05 but i like what I see so far.

Thanks BIS for continuing your support of this game. I've been a gamer for many years and have never seen so much follow-thru and extended support by a developer - except maybe Mount&Blade, which is buggy as hell but fun tounge2.gif

Yeah, I found ArmA 1.8 to be noticeably quicker and, how to put it, more playable, than 1.5 on my oldie rig (2 GHz AMD Athlon, 1 GB RAM, GF6600GT). I played one mission through, and it felt almost like a new game performance-wise. My settings were low, I didn't check, but even then it looked better than OFP Resistance.

But of course a game isn't only about frames per second, otherwise we'd be playing Asteroids. smile_o.gif I hope that some of the other issues will be tackled in 1.9 and hopefully it'll come quicker, the wait between 1.5 and 1.8 was agonizing (though I can understand that as they had the US release complicating things).

Wow - I am getting a good 5~15 FPS increase and this is over the 1.07+ patch I have been running! It seems so much smoother with 1.08. Only when looking over a city (like the first city just south of the base in Evolution) do I dip below 30. Some places I now get 40+ FPS - which I never saw before.

I just hope I do not get the "crashes" others are seeing (I only played long enough to test the patch out).

I am using a mix of Normal and High settings...

as i have never had any problems in any of the previous versions i cant truly compare, but, playing all at High (textures on new default setting, post process on low, AntiAliasing and Anisotropic on low but set 8X on Nvidia control panel it does feel much more fluid and i get to increase viewdistance to 4000m @1680X1050 and still have the usual 60 to 45 fps, very nice indeed. On a sidenote, fps drop to 25 if i zoom on the woodland camouflaged harnesses the US troops use, weird uh?

Its ridiculous, but on MP games (lower server settings) i never get less than 50 fps, cant understand why people bash the 8800, best GPU ever existed

Great job as usual BIS

So what does the default setting do? I don't have 512mb of vram so I can't test it out.

It detects, and use the correct amount of vram, if it`s more than 512MB.

Well my performance has increased too, spec...

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ - 1.8GHZ

768mb RAM

Geforce 6600 GT 256mb

Yeah I need to upgrade, half my new computer is in my room just need the other half to build it :d

I was able to put shadows on and turn Texture quality to Low as opposed to Very Low rofl.gif

The only problem is the LOD bug hasnt been fixed too well on my system. Downloaded 1.08 launched Sahrani in the editor placed a unit down and the first thing i saw was a half loaded tree. crazy_o.gif

But apart from that performance has definitely improved maybe not quite so much as I would have hoped but yet again I dont think I should be allowed to play games on a computer like mine.

456820 have you gone to your bios and checked what your AGP Arpeture size is? I had LOD issues with my 6600GT and was blaming the game but checking the Arpeture size I found it was set to 64MB, so I set it to 128MB and LOD issues dissapeared.

Try it!

What does it improve though? Or does it just help with performance?

I think it mostly helps users of the GeForce 8800 series, that had some problems with Arma. huh.gif

Sure it helps with performance, when the vram is used complete, and not only 2/3 of it.

@Dogtags

If you`re amount of RAM is 1GB or more, set the AGP aperture size to 256MB.

Wow - I am getting a good 5~15 FPS increase and this is over the 1.07+ patch I have been running! It seems so much smoother with 1.08. Only when looking over a city (like the first city just south of the base in Evolution) do I dip below 30. Some places I now get 40+ FPS - which I never saw before.

I just hope I do not get the "crashes" others are seeing (I only played long enough to test the patch out).

I am using a mix of Normal and High settings...

Thought I'd post my setting details:

Terrain - High

Object - Normal (seems setting this to high effect FPS a lot)

Texture - Default

Shading - High

Post Process - Low

Anisotropic - High

Shadow - High

Anti Aliasing - High

Resolution - 1600x1200

On my machine I used to play on low settings with 20 or less fps on average. Now on 1.08 I am playing on high settings with 35 average fps... funny huh? :P

2 Gig RAM

7500LE GeForce GFX Card

3.4GHz Dual Core CPU

I'm happy I can spend my money that was for a new gfx card on booze or something. No wait, that's bad.. banghead.gif

really good boost to Arma the new patch is. but the one thing is i don't see the option to select default for texture. is it because i am using an 8800GTS with 320MB RAM?

Should be right there in the texture option. (at least it is on mine) What version are you running? tounge2.gif

Great work BIS.

Update of patch went like clock work.

Game seems to have a fresh crispness about it, looks alot sharper IMHO. thumbs-up.gif

Test will be tonight when l give it a good run.

Only thing missing now is ambient wildlife and civilian interaction, make that a reality and look out. yay.gif

I agree with you cooee.

The textures at first site looked different. Not as in a totally new graphic engine and textures, but it was certainly different and in my opinion an improvement.

I saw a performance increase as well...things just seem much more smooth. Slight increase in performance in the ArmA Mark 'mission' with the first run, slight decrease (IIRC) for cached mode but it definitely loaded more quickly. As a bonus, I didn't need to use -maxmem=512 to get thru the test run....at least not yet. Setting the Texture to 'Default' caused a CTD after the first run-thru...but I've thought I might've been pushing the envelope too far on my settings, too.

Settings were:

Resolution: 1680x1050

Normal Disabled

High Low

Normal Low

Low High

Low

ArmA Mark stats:

First run: 2342

Second run: 2506

System Specs:

Intel C2D E6400

4G OCZ DDR-II PC6400

ATI X1950XT PCI-E 256M

Performance on my rig improved significantly: before i set viewdistance <2000, now i can play (& fly) with viewdistance set to 3500!

Settings normal/low

Thx BIS!

My rig:

C2Duo 6400 (not OCed), 2 GB RAM 667, x850xt 256MB