Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ATI Catalyst 7.5 hotfix for ArmA leak

oh MFG!!

im going to test right nowW! yay.gif

EDIT: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

so far so good!! its workinnnnng!

Im so happy! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

i have 372 handle leaks.. and looks stable.. 10 mins of game.

Ill post again to reconfirm it!

im in love again!

excellent! my arma disc has been gathering dust for the last few months, i REALLY hope this works..

i have 372 handle leaks..

Great to hear it works.

But not all handles are leaks, really, it's perfectly normal to have some handles - like few hundreds - open in Windows biggrin_o.gif

i have 372 handle leaks..

Great to hear it works.

But not all handles are leaks, really, it's perfectly normal to have some handles - like few hundreds - open in Windows biggrin_o.gif

yeah but..

i used to had 200000 handle leaks..

now i have 372 hadle leaks..

im happy so far. The big test will be tonight with a coop session. smile_o.gif

Sorry to ask that guys, but how do you see handle leak ? What is the method to look at it ?

Thanks !

DD.

No more leak, good job ATI!

Don't turn of that coffemachine though, still quite some tweaks to do, the game still feels strangely sluggish... wink_o.gif

/Abbe

Sorry to ask that guys, but how do you see handle leak ? What is the method to look at it ?

Thanks !

DD.

Handle Leaks:

Quote[/b] ]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A handle leak is a type of software bug that occurs when a computer program asks for a handle to a resource but does not free the handle when it is no longer used. If this occurs frequently or repeatedly over an extended period of time, a large number of handles may be marked in-use and thus unavailable, causing performance problems or a crash.

The term is derived from memory leak.

[edit] Causes

One cause of a handle leak is when a programmer mistakingly believes that retrieving a handle to an entity is simply obtaining an unmanaged reference, without understanding that a count, a copy, or other operation may actually be being performed.

An example of this might be retrieving a handle to the display device. Programmers might use this handle to check some property (e.g. querying the supported resolutions), and then simply proceed on without ever releasing the handle. If the handle was just a pointer to some data structure with no additional management, then allowing the handle to pass out of scope would not cause an issue. However, in many cases, such handles must be explicitly closed or released to avoid leaking resources associated with them; the exact requirements for what must be done with a handle varies by interface.

Source Link

O problema "handle leaks", em portuguES "N de indentificadores".

How to see the hadle leaks:

<span style='color:blue'>1 -> ctrl + alt+ del

2 -> ("Task manager" ou "Gestor de tarefas do windows")

3 -> ("view" ou "ver")

4 -> ("select colums" ou "seleccionar colunas")

5 -> (select the "Handle Leaks" ou "N identificadores")</span>

263 handles while background cutscene plays in windowed mode

handles increase to 300-500 if using menus / options etc

but seems to stay in that range ...

definitely visible improvement wink_o.gif

P965, C2D, wXP32b SP2 Pro

Downloaded, but I think i'll just wait for the new patch to be released as well, i've been waiting months banghead.gif another day or two won't matter, if it didn't work I would fear for my sanity tounge2.gif

Excellent stuff.

363 handles after 45 minutes spawning multiple groups/tanks in different parts of the island. Also I can now enable post-processing without it slowly killing my game.

9500pro-pcie/BX2/C2D/2gb/winXP32

Not all good though,un-installed 7.4, rebooted, installed, rebooted and was met with both monitors going to standby wow_o.gif . Powered down, unplugged 2nd monitor, rebooted and I was back.

Im glad the leak is fixed. But still no Crossfire support(figured if they took the time to look at this game they coulda done that too..)

Island Fly-over arma.exe=18-20 fps

fear.exe=50-53

All on Normal/Low shadows disabled.

Downloading the hotfix now. From the info on the AMD/ATI site I'm not certain if I install the fix as a new driver install or if I need to install the 7.5 drivers first? Anyone?

Im glad the leak is fixed. But still no Crossfire support(figured if they took the time to look at this game they coulda done that too..)

Island Fly-over arma.exe=18-20 fps

fear.exe=50-53

All on Normal/Low shadows disabled.

Sry to ask but what does changing the Arma.exe to fear.exe do? Is it like the same fix that was for Oblivion for a while?

re: hotfix or driver first - don't need the normal 7.5's - just install the hotfix, as it has everything you need. That's what worked for me.

Sidenote - I previously had a problem with HyperThreading enabled, which created artifacts in complex scenes-even with older CAT 6.7 driver. This driver update/hotfix seems to have corrected this problem also though.

Boo yah, grandpa. yay.gif

Err, really happy for all those that have benefitted from the hotfix and thanks to ATI for releasing it, but as 7.5's kill my 1440 x 900 monitor resolution (and this still happens using the hotfix) then its back to 7.4's for me...... icon_rolleyes.gif

So, is it safe to buy that x1950 now? smile_o.gif

I've got an X1950.... never checked for handle leaks, but my game always ran ok.

Anywayz, my question, do I just run this .exe for the hotfix without uninstalling the 7.5 drivers? Or can I just install right over 7.5 with no problems?

I've got an X1950.... never checked for handle leaks, but my game always ran ok.

Anywayz, my question, do I just run this .exe for the hotfix without uninstalling the 7.5 drivers? Or can I just install right over 7.5 with no problems?

i installed over 7.5 and had no problem

I've been playing under Vista...was the handle leak an issue there too? If so, any word from ATI on when a Vista patch will be issued?

Be nice if we got some nVidia optimized for ArmA drivers.

Oh, this hotfix does not constitute optimization... and that post is off topic, yes?

Downloading the hotfix now. From the info on the AMD/ATI site I'm not certain if I install the fix as a new driver install or if I need to install the 7.5 drivers first? Anyone?

Its a whole package(Driver/CCC) so you can pretty much do it however you like.