Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC WRP Demo islands released!

whistle.gif only tested mogadishu because I wanted to see if my comp was up to the ammount of objects, so the other islands are like the afghanistan map?

"think desert land, everywhere" wink_o.gif

but nice work guys, my island list almost needs a scrollbar allready notworthy.gif

Quote[/b] ]so the other islands are like the afghanistan map?
Flatter, more building, better ground textures and way way WAY bigger! biggrin_o.gif

Don't you love the community, together they're... evolving tounge2.gif

Learning to adapt.... lol just watched Evolution, kick ass movie, and a kickass thing to see on armedassault.info.

Keep up the great work! notworthy.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Just checked them out, nice stuff really thought the only thing in it was the size but the all have some nice terrain details smile_o.gif and love the missions, lots off troops and still better fps then anything I could get on Sahrani

I think this might mean that the Falklands can be fully intergrated and made! :O!

Although it takes 4 mins to load using 204km x 204km, according to Google Earth, something approaching the size of Wales could be made.  biggrin_o.gif

I definately can't wait to get my hands on a DEM of the Lake District.

The problem is that making a map that big with good details etc. Would.. well, first of all, the size would probably be huge, and the loading times awswell, and second of all, it would take years to make such a map.

True, but say I got hold of a DEM of the Lake District, whacked a texture on it, added a few detailed bits and released it. It'd be useful for RAF style training at the least. I could then add more detail and landmarks, and requests from British players and units, and just keep releasing a new version every time a sizeable chunk is detailed.

I'd never aim for it to be finished, but I reckon it'd be pretty cool to see in game.

I think this might mean that the Falklands can be fully intergrated and made! :O!

Almost! smile_o.gif

For those who don't have Google Earth:

untitled1copyya4.jpg

I wonder if you could squeeze up the size of maps even more?

Now I know I'll be investing a lot of time in Visitor3!

This is amazing!

Nice job

Took me over 15min to fly over the 204km island with a harrier, in a average speed of 790 kmph smile_o.gif

Keep up the good work!

Nice job

Took me over 15min to fly over the 204km island with a harrier, in a average speed of 790 kmph smile_o.gif

Keep up the good work!

crazy_o.gif

I wish I could test it myself, cant play with 1.07.

Someone gotta make a movie! wink_o.gif

You do realise a video would simply be a Harrier flying over 204km of flatish desert with the odd tree, rock, or floating house.  biggrin_o.gif  

Or do you want us to include the 4 minute loading screen too.  tounge2.gif

You're not missing too much at this stage, but it's very exciting now that we have an idea of what ArmA is capable of.

I get CTD with all maps, after flying for 2 or 3 minutes in the map.

ATI X1950 pro

Core 2 duo

2 Gig ram and beta 1.07

My view distance is a bit high, maybe that is the reason?

Great job !

Well I tried to fly Waterworld map diagonal with a SU34 , it's a nearly a 300 km flight and it takes 20mn at more than 900km/h !

But maps need a new coordinates system and GPS will need 6 digits biggrin_o.gif

PMC WRP Demo islands is also hosted on Armed Assault.info site

My view distance is a bit high, maybe that is the reason?

No, try turning up your terrain detail to max, it'll increase your FPS and stability on these new maps for some odd reason.

Viewdistance also seems to be bugged like in pre 1.05 ArmA so I don't think there's much more point in turning it above 5000 meters, also, don't fly jets, they seem to crash these maps easy, should work with choppers though because I managed to fly for 3 hours nonstop in MP with a buddy on the next biggest map.

Can you please do this same thing, but just put Desert houses in there?

Instead of having the same EXACT house is every single island, can you put some of the houses that are in Cayo and Ortego and stuff?

Thanks =)

P.S. dont mean 2 bug

Hi all

These are technology demostrators not the finished thing.

They are there so that the limits of ArmA technology can be examined. wink_o.gif

They also show up the key problem with giant islands and that is content. You might be able to import a DEM on which to base an island but geography is not just contour lines; it is the flora and with advances in ArmA the fauna as well as all the human created geography in the forms of housing, roads, street furnature, industrial and agrocultural structures etc. That is why BIS took so long.

There is a way out of this with tools like WRP edit we the community can start putting in our own local content.

Google earth is just not detailed enough.

The future is the ArmA Million Monkeys community each one producing their local streets that will populate ArmA as it did OFP.

Kind Regards walker

I thought u guys were joking about the 4 minute load time, jesus those islands are big biggrin_o.gif Are they the biggest size ArmA can handle?

Unless you placed all those houses individually (mogadishu), how'd you align them all to ground (or at least roughly). I've been mucking about with map editing, got some middle eastern towns setup etc, but got in-game... they werent there, placed myself on the object. And i'm 1007 metres in the sky in a floating town wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

U can place first OFP Buildings (u need to know first wich house has the same highfit with the one u wana replace) when u done with placing u can replace them with arma buildings.

arma2007060216465800lq3.th.jpg

full

This is really impressive. And a start of something Huge.

Maybe when "The Tools" come out we can really use countrys scales, even use them together, creating the real world it self.

The only problem known is the loading time. tounge2.gif

We can build a map as big as we want.

It would not lag more because of its size.

@BIS Leader Programers

<ul>I don't understand why we have to load the full map at start first.

Why not loading part as they are needed (only load grid in fact at start), then all other stuff? This mean that some area would never load... untill necessary.

With google earth we could build any country scale with real and needed details.

It could be dangerous though.. but would be definitely more realistic.

inlove.gif

edit: i put question in other way.

@BIS Leader Programers

I don't understand why we have to load the full map at start first.

Why not loading part as they are needed (only load grid in fact at start), then all other stuff? This mean that some area would never load... untill necessary.

Guess what streaming engine means... indeed, the terrain is only loaded as needed ( that might explain the paper soldiers with low res textures when you switch between teams quick ).

But offcourse a part of the map and other data still has to be loaded before you can start a map.

But because of this possibility jets and bombers will have a completely new usage biggrin_o.gif