Sign in to follow this  
mamasan8

SUGGESTION: Ranks

My idea is to implement something like what Evolution does but permanent and also a lot slower. Sort of like levels. 1000 points, rank 1, 3000 points rank 2 etc. At rank 1 you can drive cars. At later ranks you can drive choppers (with guns require higher rank), to avoid the newbies logging into game, crashing choppers etc.

Would promote offline training and also add a permanent way of telling who has played online, how much and how good.

Rank is tied to userID, not username.

Sort of like BF2 (havent played it at all but heard it has ranks).

I like evolution, the points system adds a lot but it feels a bit "annoying" to start from the beginning every time I go online.

Havent thought about this much so, it's the way it is.

My idea is to implement something like what Evolution does but permanent and also a lot slower. Sort of like levels. 1000 points, rank 1, 3000 points rank 2 etc. At rank 1 you can drive cars. At later ranks you can drive choppers (with guns require higher rank), to avoid the newbies logging into game, crashing choppers etc.

Would promote offline training and also add a permanent way of telling who has played online, how much and how good.

I like evolution, the points system adds a lot but it feels a bit "annoying" to start from the beginning every time I go online.

Doing that would severely restrict the freedom within the game. Especially in online games. I highly disagree with it. Some people simply don't have the time to dedicate hours and hours of so called "training" to achieve ranks as you suggested.

"to avoid the newbies logging into game"

newb haters are f@gs.

Yes, we should care for newbies and help them develop themselves into competant and skilled members of the online community, NOOBS however are a different matter

You do know this is a military simulation game and not an arcade game like BF2 right?

If you would have played BF2 you will have noticed theres hardly any teamwork, its run around guns blazing hopeing to hit something. 2 different games altogether.

Doing that would severely restrict the freedom within the game. Especially in online games. I highly disagree with it. Some people simply don't have the time to dedicate hours and hours of so called "training" to achieve ranks as you suggested.

I agree that because people play longer each day doesn't mean that they are better players than those who have work and school.

Quote[/b] ]Doing that would severely restrict the freedom within the game. Especially in online games. I highly disagree with it. Some people simply don't have the time to dedicate hours and hours of so called "training" to achieve ranks as you suggested.

Agreed 100 percent.

"to avoid the newbies logging into game"

newb haters are f@gs.

You didn't read the rest of the sentence properly.

Anyway, I doubt a system like this will be implemented. Not much point discussing it.

Also doing this would only serve public players and would most likely screw over clans. In GOL for example, we do not base what we allow you to do on rank, infact we allow people to do whatever roles based upon your actual ingame abilities not what some training mission of somekind says you can do.

The only thing I think everyone should do before playing multiplayer is complete the singleplayer training missions, after that it's up to the user to practise and improve and if they join a clan, partly that clans responsibility to find out what the user is good at and utlize him as such.

Ranking and medals and unlocks and optional avatars with fluffy noices and chores and grinding and laundry lists have become very popular in online gaming and is spreading all over. Xbob live is all about this it seems and soon you basicly can't buy a game without stuff like "kill 2000 dreadlords and 9bn goblins and become master of magic boots of 10 paces, rank 1".

Would Evolution still be a popular map if Kiljoy removed ranks?

(enjoys Evolution)

Ranking and medals and unlocks and optional avatars with fluffy noices and chores and grinding and laundry lists have become very popular in online gaming and is spreading all over. Xbob live is all about this it seems and soon you basicly can't buy a game without stuff like "kill 2000 dreadlords and 9bn goblins and become master of magic boots of 10 paces, rank 1".

Would Evolution still be a popular map if Kiljoy removed ranks?

(enjoys Evolution)

I would still enjoy Evolution since I love sniping but can't use that gun at start. The points system is like a sidegoal. Bigger guns with bigger points.

This idea...I never thought it would be developed by BIS but by the community. And there could be an on/off switch to it too. No one would be forced to use it. But if you arent forced to use it and not many would like it, why make it in the first place?

If there was even 1 server running something like this and it would be down like 50% of the time, I would love to play there.

i remember what happened to the honor system that AA have confused_o.gif

i vote no here,

BUT, how about a server side qualifing system?

The Evolution maps series has a serverside ranking system.

I was hoping the post was about adding more ranks to the game.

Right now there's PVT, CPL SGT, LT etc.

In the Armerican army it is more like PVT, PV2, PFC, SPC, CPL, SGT, SSG, SFC, MSG, (sometimes 1SG) SGM, CSM and then 2LT.

I'd just like to see a PFC, SPC and SSG added on.

Im sure i heard somewhere in an interview prior to ArmA's release that BIS were interested in 'RPG elements' into the game, im sorry i cant remember where it was so i cant source it... But im sure they said something..

I guess they kinda did it with The Armoury.. i.e. unlockables etc.

I think they were looking at the potential to take a soldier through a career though.. like in a campaign sort of setup..

I wouldnt mind something like that for Game 2 personally.. having a soldier which can increase his attributes over a campaign or something, would be cool i think smile_o.gif

Im sure i heard somewhere in an interview prior to ArmA's release that BIS were interested in 'RPG elements' into the game, im sorry i cant remember where it was so i cant source it... But im sure they said something..

Guess that was an interview about "Game 2"'s campaign, at the time. :P

Ranks are already in ArmA. Everything you ask for is already in the game. It's up to the mission maker how they are implimented. Forcing some kind of rank system is lessening the flexibility and scope of the game.

Basically you are asking for something which is already given to you! BIS just made the sandbox, it's up to you to make the sand castles.

Overall I'm becoming disgusted with two things in evolution:

1. Unlockable equipment is making people stop playing in support of their teammates or the mission and instead playing to get cooler stuff than the other guy. I'd rather be a medic in a good mission than be a Cobra gunner in a n00bfest.

2. Helicopters make everyone very selfish, impulsive, and childish. People want to use them so bad that they forget they are not invincible, hard to fly, very vulnerable, non-replaceable, not suitable for every jump, not combat effective against every type of enemy, and distracting. In a well-run mission the life of the helicopter pilot is actually quite dull and requires patience and impulse control beyond that of a common ground infantryman.

On the other hand I would like to see more ranks in the game (PV1, PV2, SSG, CW2, etc) and to have a "rank icon" show up on your sleeve or chest because of your coded rank in the game (mission editor).

Guess that was an interview about "Game 2"'s campaign, at the time. :P

And those elemements would be conversations and relationships towards the civilians, not some stat-based thingy. Like, when you come to a town and shoot everything that you see and blow everything up the civvies wont like you and welcome you with some lead next time you visit that town. tounge2.gif

(Which is an awesome idea IMO)

On the other hand I would like to see more ranks in the game (PV1, PV2, SSG, CW2, etc) and to have a "rank icon" show up on your sleeve or chest because of your coded rank in the game (mission editor).

I agree. Just don't put them on the sleeve. Only the Air Force does that. (Makes it easier for the enemy snipers to cap the sergeants)

The Army has them on their chest and the Marines don't wear them. (You should know who's in charge)

Here's my thoughts on a ranking system for arma.

Want a ranking system?

1: Go play BF2

2: Go play BF2142

3: Go outside.

Other then that, ranks in arma, would really ruin this game.

This would indeed screw up clans big time ... why not just establish a good rank structure within your clan? Thats what we do and it works great! smile_o.gif

As far as using points for gaining global rank, I think this would take away from many of the elements i like about ArmedA rather than add to them.

I remember a while back many OFP servers started keeping point rankings. It lead to point hogging and a decrease in team play. It even became often that I would find one person on a server late at night just blowing stuff up to pad their stats.

And thus tracking points went by the wayside. Not that its a bad concept, it's just not practicle in use.

Here's my thoughts on a ranking system for arma.

Want a ranking system?

1: Go play BF2

2: Go play BF2142

3: Go outside.

Other then that, ranks in arma, would really ruin this game.

How about this...want a ranking system?

Play a mission with a ranking system.

Don't want a ranking system?

Play a mission without a ranking system.

That is the great thing about ArmA. You can make ArmA to play like BF2, but you cannot make BF2 to play like ArmA.