Sign in to follow this  
ThePredator

Realistic Tracers

wow.. things looking good here, does this version still lag so much when in a huge firefight? (like 100 vs 100 men). i know my last version was...

Heya smile_o.gif I tried optimizing it in such way that it shouldn't have too much performance impact. We would need to hear about testing results of the people to come to final conclussions.

There still is a little room for improvement in the script logic, i'll be taking a look at it in the upcoming days.

It also seems that we can do away with the ricochete handler as ArmA has ricochetes on it's own, while the tracer keeps following the bullet.

Quote[/b] ]and yes it would be nice to have the different tracers by bn880 and wolfbane (?). Could the script be expanded to add sparks/more realistic gunflashes to guns?
This is very well possible. I'll snoop around for tracer setting-templates. About the gunflashes; someone will need to create the effects, when they're created they can be added to the pack without much hassle.

Is there a place in the currecode to specify what kind of object it uses to make the 'tracer'?

If so, can this object be included in the pbo? Cause I can make the tracer graphic, but I don't know enough about the coding to include it...

Looks good so far but man we HAVE to get away from that blob!

Is there a place in the currecode to specify what kind of object it uses to make the 'tracer'?

If so, can this object be included in the pbo? Cause I can make the tracer graphic, but I don't know enough about the coding to include it...

They are setable inside the cent_tracer addon: scripts\cent_tracer_effect.sqf

(You can test around by taking the "ScriptsInside" demo mission)

I am looking into using the new particle options of ArmA as it seems we can optimize there aswell smile_o.gif

if you guys are able to reproduce the VBS2 tracers, you just saved the game...

Keep up the good work, gentlemen

If so, can this object be included in the pbo? Cause I can make the  tracer graphic, but I don't know enough about the coding to include it...

I am looking into using the new particle options of ArmA as it seems we can optimize there aswell smile_o.gif

Sickboy, I've been using these tracers for about a month and after you released the "optimized" code, they run alot better.

A question: Are the "cent_rico.sqf" and "cent_effect.sqf" running at the same time? Because when you tweak one file's _drag to a higher value, in-game you can see two distinct sets of tracers. Makes me wonder if the cent_rico.sqf can be delayed to run to further optimize the effect, or be done away with altogether.

smile_o.gif

If so, can this object be included in the pbo? Cause I can make the  tracer graphic, but I don't know enough about the coding to include it...

The tracer graphic is the .paa file? The problem seems to be the model, and not the texture, as I've already tried tweaking the .paa to "shape" it when it gets wrapped around the ball, but it didn't really help.

At this point, if I'm correct in any of my assumptions (I know, I'm new to ARMA, please excuse the lack of knowledge) I think the problem is the bulb, it needs to be cylindrical instead of round.

Reply to below post by Sickboy smile_o.gif

Sure thing heh. Good stuff, thanks.

Edit: Also, you can completely remove the KouleSvetlo.p3d model reference and just use the Halflight.p3d texture by itself. The effect is that the texture appears to travel through objects whereas the model (koulesvetlo) collides with objects. Maybe that'll give ya some ideas. As well, I just noticed the rotationalVelocity parameter in the link you posted...that sounds fun heh

huh.gif   wink_o.gif

Hehe, can I suggest to edit your posts instead of adding 2 after eachother? Saves us a few pages at the end of the week :PP

I have only worked on the scripting-logic, I haven't touched the effects themselves. I'm a scripter, not a particle-enthusiast biggrin_o.gif

I can however find out for you how it works though I rather leave this up to you guys smile_o.gif

Just Checked http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ParticleArray

So it are actually models and not textures smile_o.gif

About the Ricochete, the no_rico script indeed loads the ricochet effect and the Tracer Effect. I don't know why it was setup this way. Might recode those parts soon with new Particle settings and Vector calculations.

Well I think I've sorted out my problem. I was also running nonamed mod which also disables the tracers and I presume when these two mods ran together must conflict or something. But I disabled nonamed mod and the problem is fixed.

Looks like I'll have to incorporate the FOV values into this mod. biggrin_o.gif

realy great quality addons, i v setting like that and find you'r work wonderfull : "CENT_SETT_TRACERSETTING = 1; CENT_SETT_SIZEMOD = 1; CENT_SETT_RICO = 1; CENT_SETT_TRACER = 1;"

inlove.gif

Hello

Morning Kenbow. The video doesn't want to play. Stops (as it starts).

Rgds Tom

It still works for me. Make sure your internet explorer isnt blocking the page from opening.

Sickboy,

I found what may be a bug in the SixthSenseMod application of the tracers.

If you place a SixthSense Logic (name it Server) and a Sixsense M1A1 abrams on a map, you will get a script error repeatedly everytime the Abrams fires its gunner machinegun. This happens whether its an AI firing or you manually get in the tank and fire the gunner MG. Plus, you dont see any tracers coming from the M1A1 MG.

If you place a regular M1A1 and the Cent Tracer Logic on the map (when the SixthSense mod is NOT active), then the tracers for the M1A1 work fine.

I have seemed to isolate the bug to the SixthSense Logic while you have the SixthSense Mod active, and it appears to have the script error only for the M1A1 as far as I can tell.

Updated the first post with the final 1.15 and simple instructions inside.

And please keep this thread clean, edit your former posts and try to avoid double posting, you can always edit a old reply at anytime. If possible check the thread for double postings, edit the first of the two and report the old to a mod, so he can delete them, this will save some space and won't get the readers irritated.

About the Ricochete, the no_rico script indeed loads the ricochet effect and the Tracer Effect. I don't know why it was setup this way. Might recode those parts soon with new Particle settings and Vector calculations.

it was setup that way because: if i dont load the rico script - the tracer sometimes will come out over the barrel of your weapon. usually happens when firing below the horizon (ground)

so to overcome this, i use the rico script to execute the drop particle thing in a few seconds for a limited time before the tracer_effect kicks in.

hope that explains it

are we able to make tracers for the 105mm tank rounds at all?

This is cool!

But SNIPER RIFLE (M24) WITH TRACERS??? Is this a bug? <

No sniper will survive this sh..t.

Keep up the good work.

I had to uninstall because many of the weapons what should have had tracers didn't. Also, the tracers look like magic fire balls or something. I know ArmA's stock tracers suck, but these tracers were even weirder.

I'm gonna wait until the mod matures more. Lots of room for improvement.

Check if you use MG only option. This is a bug BIS is responsible for, M24 uses "grunt" 7.62x51mm rounds instead of no tracer match grade ammunition.

If you enable the mg only option (3rd number has to be 0), only support weapons and vehicle weapons will have tracers.

Sorry for answer this but how do I do this?:

Method 1 - Easy & Automatic Enabling of the Tracers:

* Place the CENT_Tracer "Tracer Auto Add" Gamelogic on the Map. That's all!

Can someone explain in more detail? Thanks.

Launch the editor, place a unit, select game logic instead and place the "tracer auto add" logic from the "cent_tracer" selection.

Nothing fancy, really.

Sorry for answer this but how do I do this?:

You can replace the ammos by weapons names in the "cent_west/east_small_arms_tracers_array" line in "cent_tracer_setup". You should have that:

CENT_WEST_SMALL_ARMS_TRACER_ARRAY= ["M249","M240", "minigun", "M240_veh" ];

and:

CENT_EAST_SMALL_ARMS_TRACER_ARRAY= ["PK","B_762x54_Ball", "PKT" ];

You could replace the other lines in the same way but it's useless in this case.

Then, open "cent_tracer_fired" and replace ammo by weapon in:

if (_ammo in CENT_WEST_SMALL_ARMS_TRACER_ARRAY) then { _tracercolor = "red"; _tracersize=0.4};

if (_weapon in CENT_EAST_SMALL_ARMS_TRACER_ARRAY) then { _tracercolor = "green"; _tracersize=0.4};

Now the mg's have tracers but not the snipers and assault rifles.

Why so complicated, there is an option to simply disable tracers for all small arms...

All you have to do is read the documentation and you have all the options you could need.

Launch the editor, place a unit, select game logic instead and place the "tracer auto add" logic from the "cent_tracer" selection.

Nothing fancy, really.

I cant see the "cent_tracer" selection. Only Misc logic init, Misc logic hit FX and Air weapons logic in unit.

In class only MAP logic and Objects. I put @cent_tracer in the Arma icon.

Edit: I tried in the 1.05 version and it works!

2 things need to be done for these tracers to be perfect :

- they are going too fast, isn't it possible to give

the drop particle the bullet velocity and direction

at the beginning, but after that they would have

their own trajectory depending on the

drop properties (mass, weight,volume,...)

- the drop used isn't appropriate,

it looks ok most of time seen from the back,

but from the side it should appear longer,

that's why I think you should make a model

similar to what has been done before,

2 perpendicular plans, one is for back view,

the other one is for side view,

just define it as shining and it should work.

Now new O2 has maybe new glowing/shining properties

but with hex editor it should'nt be a problem.

Tried automatic enabling and everything is fine, but I can't get "manual" to work.

I place gamelogic "Tracer Init". Place player automatic rifleman and write in his init: "d=[this, 3, 1, 1, 1] spawn CENT_tracer;", but there is no tracers.

Tried automatic enabling and everything is fine, but I can't get "manual" to work.

I place gamelogic "Tracer Init". Place player automatic rifleman and write in his init: "d=[this, 3, 1, 1, 1] spawn CENT_tracer;", but there is no tracers.

The init-line method can be a problem in case that the gamelogic activates later than the unit you are trying to add to it, try the legacy method in this case:

d=[this, 3, 1, 1, 1] execVM "\cent_tracer\cent_tracer.sqf";

This problem will be gone if someone implements the script in a config mod that will enable the tracers by default.

Simba;

If anyone wants to supply the right tracer settings, that would be wicked... At this time they're simply Wolfbane's, edited by Centipede afaik. If noone supplies it i'll have a look around in the upcoming weekend but I have little experience with drops and the particle functions of ArmA.