Sign in to follow this  
Barnes

Should I Get OFP?

I never played the original OFP, but am having a great time with Arma. I'm just wondering if it is worth me going back playing OFP and its mods, or will I feel like I am taking steps back coming from Arma. Thanks!

Guest Ti0n3r

Don't really know if it will feel like a step back or not. But I think it's worth the money just so you'll be able to try out FDF and FFUR mods smile_o.gif

It depends on your patience. There will be plenty of mods for ArmA, because the best mod groups from OFP are shifting to it. However if don't have paitience and can tolerate older graphics, your'e in for a treat.

If you need this:

Mod recomendations-

-FDF- First total conversion, a classic, looks nice, modern and WWII eras.

-FFSX v1.05- Improves graphics, modern era, improves gamplay.

-WGL v5.12- Old graphics- yes. The most realistic combat expirience to date- Yes. + CoC Artillery- speaks for itself.

-VME mod V2.0- If you can get it- Chinese army and totaly changes gameplay. Allows for platoon command, arty, airstrikes..

-BAS Tonal/ Tonal redux (newer graphics)- African civil war, Great atmosphere. More of an addon pack though.

Also many national army Addon pakcs: BOH(Japan), BW(Germany), SFP(Sweden), OFPR (France), RHS/ORCS/OWP (Russia).

Combat! (US vehicles), HYK's pack (US Men+ Opfor - required for Combat! HMMWV), MAS (AH-64/Kiowa/F-18), BAS (US Transport heli's and more), Laser (US SF).

Sh**, I didn't know I remember that much.

It's worth it for sure. Go to addon section from ofp.info (Link) . There you can find almost every addon that's released for OFP. Mods can be found in mod section. And there are some links to other OFP newssides with addon archives.

FFUR are great mods, of course. But I think it's better to take the time and build together an own addon, effekt and so on pack.

An ArmA player without OFP, is like a elephant without a proboscis

If you search on OFP.Info also check out the latest news archive as the addon section hasn't been updated for quite a while crazy_o.gif

PS. This Thread might be helpfull too wink_o.gif

and OFP is not Arma. ofp is an other game, whit some funny features and personally i like it inlove.gif

yeah the graphics are old now, but if you add a new sky (llaumax for example) + ECP, ofp has a new life. smile_o.gif

ECP is great, because it doesn't add a ton of addons. but if you want to have effects + units, you can choose FFUR. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I never played the original OFP, but am having a great time with Arma. I'm just wondering if it is worth me going back playing OFP and its mod

Answer is simple - Definitely YES. Try some great mods and you will throw arma to dumpster like I did. Geez, arma is an insult from BIS towards demanding OFP players.

Answer is simple - Definitely YES. Try some great mods and you will  throw arma to dumpster like I did. Geez, arma is an insult from BIS towards demanding OFP players.

Amen.

Answer is simple - Definitely YES. Try some great mods and you will throw arma to dumpster like I did. Geez, arma is an insult from BIS towards demanding OFP players.

Yes but remember Arma is still a baby remember how old is OFP remember that, i would recommend OFP though it has plenty of mods to keep u busy and endless hours of fun smile_o.gif

Well, you'll definitely won't find anyone here that WON'T recommend you to buy OFP. It's great and it's a good thing to make you think of what will be possible for ArmA. OFP is definitely a king of a game itself, whilst ArmA is still a prince... so get to know the father of ArmA... It's really worth it! biggrin_o.gif

NO! Don't get OFP it sucks so badly. Never even touch it! It's evil!

In case you can't tell, I'm kidding.

OFP is an awesome game. Cheap too. BUY IT! ^^

Thank you guys sincerely for all the candid feedback!!!! I asked for similar feedback in the Arma forum (not in its own dedicated thread), and did not hear anything back at all. Not the same here, I appreciate the well thought out responses and suggestions guys. FYI, I pulled the trigger and just ordered it from Amazon for $16.

Quote[/b] ]I never played the original OFP, but am having a great time with Arma.  I'm just wondering if it is worth me going back playing OFP and its mod

Answer is simple - Definitely YES. Try some great mods and you will  throw arma to dumpster like I did. Geez, arma is an insult from BIS towards demanding OFP players.

Quote[/b] ]Answer is simple - Definitely YES. Try some great mods and you will  throw arma to dumpster like I did. Geez, arma is an insult from BIS towards demanding OFP players.

IIRC OFP was junk when it was released. Always crashed, bug galore. Armed Assault will get better. Really looking forward to patches.

Worth the money.... i say yes considering the price now a days, an the single most reason i love OFP is the campaign. i must've played it 20 times over! i believe u can load up gamespy arcade an probably find an online game going.

Of course you should get it, what kind of a question is that tounge2.gif

Again, thanks for the input guys. My OFPGotY is scheduled to arrive today. In the mean time, I've been DL'ing all these mods you all recommended.

FFUR, DXDLL.......(endless list).

Add -nomap to the desktop shortcut. wink_o.gif

Use mod folders, set the terrain detail not higher than normal, have fun.

add also -nosplash in your shortcut

an example:

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nomap -nosplash -mod=@ECP

OFP is Arma without the glaring flaws, I mean flaws, not bugs. Poorer graphics yes, but graphicaly, FFUR has given Arma a run for the $60 I got it for on ebay. Gameplay-wise, nothing gets near WGL.

Arma is the the poorer cousin who never went to university, but drives a cheap mercedes and and thinks he's the most handsome guy in town, meanwhile all the girls laugh at him behind his back.

Nothing will ever compair to OFP and OFP Resistance.. They are LEGENDS.. Not even ArmA can beat them, there campaigns alone beat ArmA alltogther.

I wish BIS made ArmA with a great campign.. I guess its up to the Flashpoint Rearmed Team to Bring to ArmA what was once a Icon of the 1990s notworthy.gif

notworthy.gif Its here!!! notworthy.gif

I got the PC Gamer version. Other than having a hard copy of the manual, is there a difference between the GotY versions? Thanks again for all the good information!

Guys without guns will look like they're getting ready to piss... If their back is turned from you, it'll look like he's pissing! rofl.gif

I got the PC Gamer version. Other than having a hard copy of the manual, is there a difference between the GotY versions?

Most importantly, does it have Resistance? You'll need that for almost all mods, addons and missions. Also to play online.