Sign in to follow this  
cef71

As good as OFP's?

I haven't read through the forums much but would just like to know if those of you who were OFP fanatics (like myself) think this ArmA is as good or better? I played OFP repeatedly for years...never lost it's flair and haven't played anything since that compared. So should I buy it or not? Also, is it even available in US stores? Thanks

For what it's worth, I think it's much better than OFP. The terrain, sky, cities feel more "real".

Seeing some of the mods that are coming out, it's only going to get better.

I bought my US copy directly from Atari off of their site.

You should play the demo first.

ArmA has some gimmicks OFP hasn't.

But in my opinion, at the time of my writing, ArmA is still pretty immature and not ready for release.

As far as I am concerned, i am back to OFP but I check the patches on a regular basis.

If you're gonna get it, get a hard copy. Download activations are a pain in the arse. You don't need a super computer to tun it well, you just need to avoid hardware that seems to be causing problems for a lot of people. Might be worth waiting till 1.07 Final is out.

Not really had as much fun as with OFP yet, but I've had plenty of good adrenaline moments with my unit. Definately worth buying if you get it working well.

Is it still basically the same as far as 1st/3rd person options? Will someone who played OFP for hundreds of hours see control similarities?

I think its certainly better.Just the JIP and larger maps alone

Is it still basically the same as far as 1st/3rd person options? Will someone who played OFP for hundreds of hours see control similarities?

Lol yeah you might see control similarities. Also when you shoot a SLA he makes the exact same sound as when you shot a ruskie in OFP. ArmA is basically a fancy OFP, which on the whole is a good thing, so yeah you'll feel right at home in ArmA if you played OFP.

Yes, the controls are quite same.

Of course, there are some differences. You can for example use key combinations and double-clicks (example: CTRL+R, 2xCTRL).

But I guess you'll get the right grip soon xmas_o.gif .

EDIT: What the heck ? 2 guys faster than me crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Thanks.  And it's available in US stores? Also, is there a US patch yet?

Thanks. And it's available in US stores? Also, is there a US patch yet?

Yes.

In US under name ArmA: Combat Operations.

There's a beta patch for both European and American versions.

I didn't finished the official campaing, I didn't download any addons for ArmA. I ended up going back to OFP. Period.

Following the new patchs very close, but basically and fundamentally, I haven't seen any single reason to play ArmA (as it is now) instead of OFP. I'd recommend buying it anyway to any OFP Vet, to support and to thank BIS for OFP and any further proyects. Sometimes you just get lucky, OFP seems to have been the lucky shot of BIS. They were unable so far to repeat the experience.

I didn't finished the official campaing, I didn't download any  addons for ArmA. I ended up going back to OFP. Period.

Following the new patchs very close, but basically and fundamentally, I haven't seen any single reason to play ArmA (as it is now) instead of OFP. I'd recommend buying it anyway to any OFP Vet, to support and to thank BIS for OFP and any further proyects. Sometimes you just get lucky, OFP seems to have been the lucky shot of BIS. They were unable so far to repeat the experience.

for you maybe, but for me its the updated engine i need badly

Quote[/b] ]I haven't read through the forums much but would just like to know if those of you who were OFP fanatics (like myself) think this ArmA is as good or better? I played OFP repeatedly for years...never lost it's flair and haven't played anything since that compared. So should I buy it or not? Also, is it even available in US stores?

yes and no

i also was OFP fanatic

but now :/

OFP never crashed in period of few years

now i bought new PC for ARMA

and what ?

no dualcore support - shame, shame, shame !

horrible performance since 1.02>1.05, after 1/05 + little better

now in 1.07 pulsing HDR, many crashes to desktop

ARMA has bigger and better terrain, btter more detailed cities, very good quality soldiers, weapons, vehicles,

but performance "as software" much worse :/

if /when BIS will do dualcore support, better performance on new PC, and fix AI soldiers using AT launchers agains oher man, fix horrible HDR (shown on youtube)

it will be super game

Daniel @ May 16 2007,09:29)]If you're gonna get it, get a hard copy. Download activations are a pain in the arse.

The download and activation of the US version from Atari is actually completely painless (if you can handle a 2+GB download), and has the advantage of being able to run without having a CD or DVD in the drive.

IMHO OFP's the crappy game and ArmA is kick butt.

I say buy it. You'll have something again to play over and over for the next few years! Replayability in this series is unreal.

i guess it depends on what you liked about ofp and what system spec. you have or will have. ofp was good for any kind of gameplay from dm to cti while arma is more focused on big battles and coop instead of close combat. you need a really strong cpu/gfx to handle this potential, the best is just good enought...

all in all it gets better as we speak and the support by BIS (Patches) is outstanding, allmost every week a patch or a beta patch to try out. if you really liked opf, you're allready adicted to arma, even if you don't know yet

IMHO OFP's the crappy game and ArmA is kick butt.

Blasphemy.

I say buy it before you miss out. I found OFP-R in a second hand store by luck cause I didn't go out to buy it when it came out. If you liked OFP, you will feel close to home with ArmA, better graphics and enviroment, new scripting commands and something which I think is vital to survive, you can finally lean around corners!

The only con I have to say is, OFP at 1.96 is pretty much solid as a rock. with most or all bugs worked out. ArmA is just getting to 1.07, so you may find a bit of grief there. Other than that, get your hands on a copy. You wont regret it.

I think the reason someone complained about online activation is because you seem to have to re-do it every time you get the patches or reinstall. Or you need to get a new key or something - check before you buy online.

I say buy it. We're all waiting for certain obvious and painful bugs to be worked out of the ArmA matrix, but if you enjoyed OFP, I don't see you going wrong here.

I loved the command system in OFP an when I got ArmA, I hoped it'd be similar at least and...it was! With commanding your AI, you can jump straight in and be up to speed in minutes if you knew the OFP system. Arma's is slightly more steamlined IMO.

I just will post this short message.

"Never forget your gaming roots!"

Atm there are some aspects that are better than OFP and others that are worse, whilst some, lol, are just the same. Like you I've been holding out but I don't think I'll hold out much longer the acquisition of ArmA. I tried the ArmA US Demo and I must say as being accustomed to OFP I felt right at home, learning the new tweaks of course but I was able to survive a bit due to my OFP experience. So, be sure to pick up a hardcopy, and enjoy the multiplayer! For it seems to be the best improvement one can see right now... thumbs-up.gif

arma is thoroughly excellent, but the OFp campaign was way better.