Sign in to follow this  
JdB

World War 2 or Modern mods?

As much as I hate the WW2 setting for most games, this engine is perfect for that low tech type of setting. I voted modern, but I think a good ww2 era mod would suit this engine perfectly and if done well and set NOT in the typical setting as every other WW2 era game I would love to play it. If it was a typical D-Day/western Europe setting I'll pass.

I voted WWII, there is not any good games made by such of size battlefield area than ArmA could bring. Instead of all those tunnels fps like MoHs, ROs, CoDs, DoDs and BiAs, I am eager to see a decent realistic combat simulation whit all those mayor battles in WWII. from Borneo to Stalingrad. Modern warware is of course more smaller and spoiled by all this modern tecnology gadgets.

WW2 & Vietnam. Not so much vietnam right now because a ton of great vietnam stuff got released for OFP, but with WW2 not so much.

Also modern warfare is pretty boring without proper CQB& weapon systems.

As many others have pointed out, there's a nice little niche for WW2 style gameplay using the Armed Assault engine. Especially in a scenario that hasn't been portrayed as much as Iwo Jima/Normandy.

Hello

I "Null voted" as im not nececarially for either particular choice.

It's the quality of the mod that counts.

But like others here i am happy to play anything from 1970's and earlier.

Anything thats not all BVR and NVG.

WWII mods are great, but there were too many groups replicating the same thing rather than collaberating IMHO.

For eg, if i was to make a WW2 mod, i'd ask to use villa's wpns etc.

Also there are many other areas in ww2 than have been covered, everyone seemed to follow the Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan in their mission types, which is what I believe people have become fed up with.

Even though there were great eastern front, brit paras, damler dingo mods for ofp i think that the dearth of the Normany beachhead in almost everyother PC game has put folk off that arena.

i for one definatly want a quality WW2 mod. Even if its a quick and dirty impoort from ofp, I'd definatly have a go at tidying it up.

I do think though that an African campaign would suit the arma island. I dont remember any afrika corps or eighth army being modelled (excpet perhaps the dingo).

But getting away from WW2, there are so many ideas...cowboys and indians anyone? I would like to see some more off the wall ideas, I myself was thinking about a Dr Who/U.N.I.T vs Daleks type of mod (Im talking 50's/60's timeline, (Bernard Cribbins etc in the Invasion of the Daleks era) ) but I dont know if it will translate very well.

The Boer or Zulu Wars would be fun as well although i think the Boer is more practical as i cant see arma handling asagais very well.

Although a Rourkes Drift might be fun.

What im saying is yes id love WW2 but id also love some variations.

Rgds

LoK

I'm a bit devided. I like WW2 mods and I also like Vietnam era mods. But which one do I love? Hmm, tough question...

Eh screw it, I just voted for WW2, heck even my mod is WW2.

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far, and has given their opinion, I've been rather suprised by the rather large % of people that prefer (an original) WW2 atmosphere smile_o.gif

Considering the (almost) 40% of voters that prefer WW2 themed mods it is rather suprising to see a vast majority of mods and addonmakers focusing on more modern themes (assuming the amount of addonmakers voting in this poll was representative of the addonmakers/players ratio in the community).

People are right in saying that the market is somewhat saturated because of repetative gamefranchises such as MoH, CoD and BiA (all as mentioned following pretty much the SPR storyline (won't mention BoB, since MoH was released before it aired)), which is why I'm happy to see mods focusing on Africa and Eastern Europe among others smile_o.gif

Then again, there have been plenty of "realistic" modern era tactical shooters, pretty much saturating this market as well, but people (also from what I'm reading on game-sites) do not seem to be troubled by the "flood" of these games as much as they are with WW2-era games.

i voted on 2ndWW, but i think that some1 could make First World War MOD!!!. Arma is modern enought biggrin_o.gif

I think it is also due to the lack of quaility stuff in the WW2 shooter genre in general. BiA was held back by the limitations of the consoles and you never saw more than a couple small enemy squads at a time.

CoD has epic battles, but little strategy other than killing as many enemies as possible. MoH has just been stuck in a rut lately.

It's the reason I don't really mind seeing Normandy or the Pacific again. It has been done alot, but never done quite right and ArmA has the most potential of any moddable FPS game to do it right.

I voted for ww2, as whats already been said, modern war is to clean / efficient an reliable which is borin, like say a 1.2L 8v honda civic, thats y 85% of drivers are over 60yr's. an it mostly done by air now which doesnt make a good game, the damage is to vast for a computer to generate a hole town been flatened in 30secs, so the point im making is moden war games look completly fake, be-coz every bit of technology that make moden war, moden, is riped away from us by the technology we use, are pc's. where as ww2 is more believable be-coz are pc's can emulate the effect an atmosphere of ww2, in relation to its simplicity . anyway that my thought on it.

cold war / ww2 / vietnam all good

I think the fact that resources are more readily at hand is a factor for people working on modern stuff, also people like to try to implement modern technological weaponry to try to push engine limits etc.

But I think ArmA has massive potential as a platform for ww2, especially considering larger battle capability in AA over OFP.

Can't wait to see some ww2 stuff in ArmA!

i voted modern but im open for ww2 too! wink_o.gif

yer ww 2 felt like it was one of the few last clean wars where objectives where clear and the enemy was fully visible with his actions and big armies fought in the sea , ground and air and if it would have gone on for a a decade or so maybe in space too? tounge2.gif

but that last part is just imo..

yeah the ofp ww 2 mods didnt release so much content so we could get that big picture, but running a mod cant be a walk in the park always i guess. I loved ofp's cold war crisis setting cause i was born in the 80'ies and james , tom clancy and commies and Nato and stuff is just very intresting too. i like all bits and pieces.

I like WW2 TCs but i like modern add-ons. If you just have some American guy from the 40's with an M1 shooting some russians with AKs, it wouldn't feel right.

Yeah there are alot of WW2 Games & Mods etc. I voted for Modern mods. smile_o.gif

A Vietnam Mod would fit perfect for ArmA, especially because of the beautiful graphics. *Dreaming of Fighting in jungle areas*  pistols.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

I voted WWII, as I had so much fun with LIBMOD while playing OFP. WWII mods kind of have the atmosphere built right into them, something that I miss with modern warfare mods, or ArmA in general icon_rolleyes.gif . I also second the opinion voiced by other people in this thread that the engine is actually better suited for WWII style combat than for modern combat. ArmA is severely lacking in the technology department. I mean, there is no radar, no UAV's, no artillery, no fancy tank gizmo's, no believable simulation of the Air aspect of combat, etc...

WWII is the best, nothing like massive tank wars,plane battles,bombing and sea action

I like vehicles alot

I was in the military in 1985 and the US started the register for draft thing.And even when I was 18 I had the thought that it wasn't going to be an infantry war.In 1985 it was going to be nukes and bombs

I know there isn't very much interest in Pacific

Quote[/b] ]I know there isn't very much interest in Pacific

hello,

I don't agree with that comment.

I'll explain why in my usual rambleing and vaguely incoherent way.

There are a vast amount of large and small conflicts out there which dont use high tech (relativly) equip and are not really poplular or talked about.

One example of the top of my head was the war in South West Africa/Angola during 70's 80's.

(BAS Tonal kinda captured some elements of it)

I think if a good mod is bought out based in the Pacific conflict/Northern Island troubles/Cambodia and Pol Pot/Reading Town Centre etc.....

Then people will suddenly become interested.

There was a long time when many "kids" didnt know anything about WW2 until things like COD/MOH/SPR/BoB came along and these things came mainstream.

Now they've forgotten more than i'll ever know about these theatres.

So dont be to disheartened to work on a mod idea that doesnt recieve a universal "thumbs up".

If its good itll be played to death.

Point explained smile_o.gif (ish)

However, I would like to see any mod, be it ww2/modern/prehistoric, to have some origionality.

As someone posted earlier, WWI wasnt "just" about trench warefare. And WW2 isnt just about the USA "kicking ass" and rescuing poor "Tommy Atkins".

Try to remember other theatres like Burma with the Aussies, or how about Viet Cong vs French forces? Rescuing Boer captives from the British concentration camps in africa?

Hit those history books and lets do something different.

Rgds

LoK

Woted for modern, but I have to admit that I'm not expecting realism. Any war with a scale comparable to WW2 in modern setting would be a nuclear war.

So we stuck to smaller conflicts. Saharani is not beliveable, because even a limited involvement of the U.S. would mean that SLA would not be able to gather, move around or supply any conventional troops. They would get shot to pieces after U.S. takes control of the air space around the islands. It would be a non-conventional war fought by guerillas in civilian clothes using hit and run tactics not the kind that the game is presenting.

EDIT: Well ArmA could be the first stages of the conflict if the North is really stupid by provoking a direct conflict with U.S.

In another thread I pointed out that neither WWII nor WWII to present day military themes in my opinion are dead nor even close to being "overdone."

Simple fact is that game after game comes out with either a Cold War, present day military, or WWII combat experience while none "do it right."

Once we see a game that employs an all encompassing walk/drive/run/climb/para/fly/dig freedom of movement with audible real-time feedback from Ai, swearing and life-like reactions as well as a plethora or other tweaks basically mimicking real life to an almost life-like state - neither genre will prove "boring." Graphical improvements will help, but even present day graphics are more than enough to supply immersiveness if only the rest of the game were designed create complete and total immersiveness.

Once one game does this, then the genre will be dead. wink_o.gif

pistols.gifyay.gifwink_o.gif

edit: Yikes, too many connections. Can't connect to the SQL server! Flashpoint1985 must be getting hammered with posters and users LOL!

You nailed it spot on

And thinking on it more.Arma has great engine for Vietnam era mod

Way noth both. I will like WW2 mod wery mouch. The tenks and airplains off WW2 and all will be grat. But i will like the same Serb army vs US in nato air campain 1999.