Sign in to follow this  
Sneeze

Beautiful Feeling

Hey all,

Something amazing happened to me today.   I had just downloaded the us demo (waiting until after exams to purchase the entire simulation), and was a bit underexcited due to performance issues. After updating my ati drivers, all was well, so I booted up the missions.  I feel I just need to exclaim my joy for this simulation.  I've flown my fair share of hours in Falcon 4.0 and done my fair share of tours at sea in Silent Hunter III, and I never got the feeling I do from playing this immaculate simulation.  

To put things into perspective, I actually get nervous while I'm "on patrol".  My heart rate goes up and I tense up. That is just simply my favorite feeling in life, and if a simulation stirs that specific feeling, I know it's a keeper.

So, my question: Anyone else get this feeling I'm talking about?

Sincerely,

Steven

yeah all that military stuff is quite good but the most i like of the game are the landscapes biggrin_o.gif

Yes, I get that feeling alot when I play.

The next level is when your playing with a squad on team speak and operating as a unit. Geeky goodness! thumbs-up.gif

You are spot on but apart from the Adrenaline and the scenery it is the stories that come out of the game like the one that happened to me as below....

On the way to clear a town in a Hummer we stumbled across a Little Bird helicopter on its side with 3 dead bodies on the ground next to it. Since we were near a FARP we got the fuel and repair truck and fixed her up all the time wondering what happened to these poor souls.

Some time later I returned down that road but this time as a passenger in a Little Bird, we actually followed the same road I saw that crashed Little Bird earlier. Quite suddenly the Little Bird went nose down and kept on going. Thinking the pilot went to sleep or something I bailed out to parachute to safety below but I saw the pilot and a couple of passengers die in the wreck.

I thought "This is a coincidence", Upon asking the pilot what had happened he told us he was sniped out of his seat by an AI sniper! pistols.gif

Yes the AI are not Einsteins by a long shot or even average IQ but they keep surprising the hell out of me. rofl.gif

Sneeze: hopefully we'll see you on one of our "locked" servers where serious and fairplay players meet wink_o.gif welcome to the "club" wink_o.gif

Yes, I get that feeling alot when I play.

The next level is when your playing with a squad on team speak and operating as a unit. Geeky goodness! thumbs-up.gif

yup i have that feeling too!

i bet all core fans have it.. and purshase it in all their COOP missions.

the feeling sometimes faid away for moments when some "rambo" or "smart kid" destroy and currupt the mission plans.

edit: the nicest thing in coop is when you don't even need to use ts to communicate, ie, you know the steps and actions that the other lad is going to make.. when he follows you and cover without asking. When they move as a team even without extra communications.

But it takes some years for that to happen wink_o.gif

I've got resistant to OFP/ArmA impulses, which is a pity. That's what you get when you get too familiar with how the game works and the truth behind the AI's behavior is uncovered. I was excited in the Cold War Crisis campaign and my heart pounded every time I fought PvP in World of Warcraft, so the feeling is familiar.

slowly advancing in a street knowing enemy ahead and ready to pop your head around a conner, tension arise and everybody trying to look at different direction so that no AI came up from no where and turn the assulte into a bloody mess, suddently the someone hear incoming tanks from the far side of the street, AT step forward and ready to engage......

with careful created mission and a good plan, this is how the game should have played inlove.gif

the only one who truely understand the pron and cron of the AI is the mission makers, so its up to mission makers to make the AI behave what what they should

first time i got those feelings i really thought my mother told me the wrong things about my gender- felt like a girl in a shoe shop.

my first yay.gif for this game

Hearing enemy commanders order their troops around has added to the immersion. On one occasion while trying to sneak up on an opponent, I had not being paying enough attention to my surroundings and my blood frooze when I suddenly heard an enemy leader ordering his men to target that rifleman from somewhere behind me. That announcement of impending unavoidable death felt a lot worse than simply being shot from an unexpected direction.

Regards,

Sander

Hearing enemy commanders order their troops around has added to the immersion. On one occasion while trying to sneak up on an opponent, I had not being paying enough attention to my surroundings and my blood frooze when I suddenly heard an enemy leader ordering his men to target that rifleman from somewhere behind me. That announcement of impending unavoidable death felt a lot worse than simply being shot from an unexpected direction.

Regards,

Sander

mentioning that is it possible to define enemy speak to CZ or any othe East languages (russian maybe). Its kinda strange hearing enemy comands in english..

is like watching those english movies translated to russian voice.. confused_o.gif

Sarahinies speak the same language, it's the same people. Sahrani is divided in north and south, communists and royalists. Like BRD and DDR, once a divided country, yet both spoke German.  smile_o.gif

yeah your right.. i just forgot it.. long time since william blog is updated wink_o.gif

Edit: though they said alot of languages were present in the island.. so far i only heared 1 (english) tounge2.gif

Yeah i get that feeling when flying my squad[clan] on an combat mission. tounge2.gif

Haha, thanks IceBreaker. I hope to also, but I've always feared playing simulations on the internet. My skills are never up to par...

Matt, is your clan for Armed Assault or another flight sim?

Ugh, I wish exams were over... I can finally buy the game then!

Hi all

I get the feeling when I have spent an hour moving my platoon/company into position for a perfect strike on the enemy just before H hour. Or watching a whole armored battalion hacked to death by a well planned defense in depth.

Ahh ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

That why i love ArmA an why I loved OFP is the fear of death like the whole Russian Army was coming after you.

Signed! That's what kept me playing OFP, and what hopefully will keep me coming back to ArmA, and the main reason I avoid missions with respawn: the sheer rush these games can provide at certain moments.  biggrin_o.gif

I also love missions where quick thinking, staying alive, following orders and putting down the fire is more essential than your ability to get a headshot at 5 yards.

One of the scariests moments yet has still got to be the time I came face to face with a BMP, in the middle of the Nogova desert, in a firefight, while testing a mission. Only to find a great big red square floating around on it's hull, and hearing the faint roar of an A10 in the background. Definately one of those "Oh shit" moments.  smile_o.gif

Hi all

I still remember my first encounter with a BMP in the OFP demo me hiding in bush while the BMP is acting like a demented Dalek playing squash all the bushes running round and round trying to find me. Frozen solid scared to even move my head. Shivers.

AI in ArmA depsite all the whiners is still the most frighteningly AI in any game. Its tendency to supress and flank now makes it doubly so.

And after the fear there is still that WOW! I never get such a grin at loosing to AI as I do in ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

I very often get an adrenaline feeling when playing ames like ArmA. It's really awesome... wink_o.gif

I haven't played regular BIS missions etc, because it's too laggy with my PC. sad_o.gif *1.05 Patch*

But I've created some small scenarios in the editor, and yeah I do get the Adrenaline feeling like I get in OFP. But not as "much" though.

A new PC with higher Graphics and Smoothness will do the trick, I guess. smile_o.gif