Sign in to follow this  
ArmaVidz

"Motion" Makes Some People Sick?

I'm not sure if this is the right area to discuss this, actually it might be as it would be good to see a mod for ArmA if possible that could do this...

My bro played ArmA again today and for the second time it made him "woozy." Almost like motion sickness woozy, he says.

He had the same problem with FarCry when it came out. BF2, no problem, SWAT, Americas Army, no problem. Actually, even Operation Flashpoint was not a problem.

I have noticed myself that there is something with the "to and fro" or "up and down sync of the movement inside the game" of the walking, running etc. that messes with you a little, but for me it's no biggy. I'll play it until I adjust. He just can't do it, he literally has to get some air.

For me it's a huge problem, simply because this dude's "the" guy you want watchin' your 6 o'clock.

Curious, if anyone else has this problem with ArmA or FarCry, or knows someone who does, and if there might be a fix for it? (Floating point is at 0 btw). Addon/Mod???

Any feedback would be great.  huh.gif

I was like that when i played half life 2. I just started feeling really sick and wanted to throw up. And that hadn't happened anytime with any game before and ive played fps's for many years. I have no idea why i felt like that.. Might have been that they had changed the fov or somehthing..

Maybe it would be usefull to set up a poll about this, to check out how many people have the same problem and how many dont.

make sure your fps is not higher then 20, would help it I guess icon_rolleyes.gif

most of the time there are warnings about stuff like that in the booklets

I was like that when i played half life 2. I just started feeling really sick and wanted to throw up.

I had that too, though it wasn't a medical situation, more of that fact that HL2 is shite.

The whole motion sickness issue I have heard about before, can't remember what game it was regarding though (none of those mentioned above).

There is much to be found of on the internet.

Wikipedia

Slashdot

Quote[/b] ]Put a blanket over the monitor and over your head, like a tent.. this is a really silly looking solution (especially in an office situation), but seems to work for a buddy of mine..

Looks like some of the military personell training in simulators have the same problem.

Might be the way the camera shakes, or the dynamic lighting at night, or maybe hes just exhausted after something.

Quake, CounterStrike, Half Life and those average shitty shoothers where main goal is "dAnCiNg and fRaG!!1" those cause the motion sickness.

Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, OFP and so far ArmA are no problem because they are more slow tempo or otherwise "better". Also good example is Hitman Blood Money, it wont cause any problems for me... but quess what, you just slowly walk around most of the time in the game = slow tempo.

Thats how my mind & body reacts.

I was like that when i played half life 2. I just started feeling really sick and wanted to throw up. And that hadn't happened anytime with any game before and ive played fps's for many years. I have no idea why i felt like that.. Might have been that they had changed the fov or somehthing..

it happened to me too with HL2 , but only with that game, with arma i have no problem

It's definitely quite strange. My opinion is it is the "bobbing" of the view when your walking/running.

Actually I just talked to my bro again today and he said he was sick for hours afterwards. He actually asked that I don't fire up the game while he's here (because he LOVES it but it makes him sick). Very uncharacteristic of him, he doesn't get motion sickness at all/anything like motion sickness!

I noticed it right away when I fired up ARMA for the first time. It was almost like the reverse of most FPS' today, like you the player, were stationary, the world "turns" around you as you look. Then the thing with the "bobbing" view.

I believe it was Disney that looked into an issue much like this with their theme park rides/choreographed (spelling?) on screen visuals. Apparently this can happen if the motion onscreen is out of sync with the motion/position of the person. Which makes me think that maybe the "view" might be off-sync with the "movement?"

Kind of like, the camera shakes when you come down on one foot, but in-game, you're not at the timing when your foot "actually" hits the ground - so it shakes before or after?

..or maybe it's just the "bobbing" up and down while moving LOL.

Thanks for your replies, a poll would be AWESOME to see what kind of results people have.

When i went on a cruise i took pills for the motion sickness and it helped ( i didnt get seasick in 10-15ft waves) but that may help if you really want to do that but ill just say play another game. biggrin_o.gif

Moving to the General Forum as this has nothing to do with addons or mods. smile_o.gif

Field of view can have a lot to do with it. Close Combat: First to Fight made me physically sick almost instantaneously and would last for about an hour afterward, all because everything is so narrow and close-up in the FPV.

I can see your point about syncing movements as well. ArmA is known to be a little fudgy in that area where your input doesn't immediately / directly translate in-game, but it's touted as a realism feature. I personally find it annoying.

One thing you can try is to disable the floating zone in the options ... it'll keep your weapon from floating around independent of your body when you're not scoped in. I know OFP was the same but it doesn't feel right in either game to me. Try changing the FOV as well.

The only time a game has ever made me sick is when I first got TrackIR. I felt horrible after the few first hours of playing with TrackIR. Dizzy, headaches, nausia, you name it. But now I'm used to it, and can't imagine playing without trackir.

I would suggest you tell him to give it another try. It ain't gonna kill him, and he may very well adjust to it the same way I adjusted to TrackIR.

I've never gotten sick or dizzy from a game. I wonder if you can actually ever fix this problem though. The thing that really gets me is how ArmA effected him yet OFP didn't confused_o.gif

I've never gotten sick or dizzy from a game. I wonder if you can actually ever fix this problem though. The thing that really gets me is how ArmA effected him yet OFP didn't confused_o.gif

If you feel Ill playing a video game.

You should CONSULT a doctor. This can be a sign of epilpsey and several other neuroligical conditions.

You should ensure you play in a well lit room, sit back from the monitor and dont smoke while playing or the room is well ventilated.

Although alot of people suspect flashing lights in a computer games like in many films can cause an epilileptic attack many games can trigger or show an issue.

There is a crap load of reasons why this happens, but folks if you feel "sleepy" or actually sick playing a game it is worth a medical checkup. And sometimes an eye test as well.

Generally it may be a minor condition that the game is aggrivating but don't play it. Consult a doctor.

no need to scare people: it is not a medical condition

ArmA is indeed slightly less steady in terms of FOV than Operation Flashpoint.

especially FOV in cars has a lot of added sway, which makes me less comfortable than in OFP when driving

for the sake of reference: motion sickness issues have already been discussed upon release of ArmA

The motion sickness is caused by the movement you see not being the same as the movement that you feel.

Moving further away from the monitor and maybe looking away from it occasionally might help.

Only time I ever felt motion sickness in a game was ages ago when I played the demo of the game "Breed". It had annoying head-bobbing which couldn't be turned off.

i think that some movements during walking, shooting and such are "close" to actions within real life, but our brain has a harder time "adjusting" because we arent "really" doing it...?

for example in 1.05 i personally feel the rifles jump too much when firing in ironsight view. (i dont really know..this is just how i "feel" when shooting)

but i bet if i fired a real life aimpoint...the recoil would be about (more or less) the same, but because im actually doing it, the brain "dampens" a lot of what is going on.

much like strapping a camera on your head, and walk around for a few minutes. you dont notice the up/down of walking, yet if you view on the film what you just recorder, youll think ..."damn thats fidgety looking. i dont notice or feel that when i walk"

(am i even sligtly correct here...??)

no need to scare people: it is not a medical condition

If you feel dizzy or very tired or experience genuine discomfort it may be more than motion sickenss just about every game manual warns of this.

"Taken from page 1 of ARMA manual"

"If you or your child should experience any of the following symptons:

dizziness,

blurred vision,

eye or muscle twitches,

loss of consciousness,

disorientation,

any involuntery movement or convulsion while playing a game DISCONTINUE use IMMEDIATLELY

and consult your doctor.

Epilepsy is not the only condition that can trigger here, there is a long list. If any of the above occur in any game it's worth consulting a doctor as your body may be trying to warn you.

CRT tubes are proven to be worse offender than LCD monitors for this.

http://www.epilepsy.com/info/family_kids_video.html

worth a read as it shows even if you have epilepsy photosensitive issues only occur in 3% of people with the condition.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/hstories/hr161004.htm

Nice report, that gives a good facts by the guy who spotted nintendo games could cuase a fit in the 90's.

Eye stigma's and quite a few other neurological conditions can also be effected by Games and if you feel bad playing a game and don't if watching a film, especially if you are not motion sick in general its worth consulting a doctor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez....,isrctn

Findings of the Euro study, and reasons on 50 HZ televisions may also be the issue.

not just games do it, crappy jap cartoons:

In December of 1997, the world was stunned when hundreds of Japanese children suffered seizures after watching a popular television show. At least 618 children of various ages experienced convulsions, vomiting, vision problems, and other symptoms after viewing an episode of “Pokemonâ€, a well-known children's cartoon. Most of the children developed symptoms within 20 minutes of watching the program, and many required hospitalization.

i think that when you have never feel sick under any condition ( cars , boats , etc ) and with any game from the dozens you have played along your life except with one specifically , i think that the game is the problem and not your medical condition , even more when there are hundreds of cases reporting the same problem , such in the case of half life 2

i think that when you have never feel sick under any condition ( cars , boats , etc ) and with any game from the dozens you have played along your life except with one specifically , i think that the game is the problem and not your medical condition , even more when there are hundreds of cases reporting the same problem , such in the case of half life 2

Yep, many reasons have been given for why HL2 caused these effects. the most plausible is the HDR effects and the water IMHO.

But millions of people played HL2, only several hundred reported the issue. So this would fit the pattern of them having some form of photo epilepsy issue. Epiepsy is not all huge fits on the floor convulsing. Even your eye twicting can be a mild form of it.

if you experience issues when playing a game. Stop playing it and consult a doctor. The video games industry has been sued over the issue and althought there is only a small chance you have a problem it is worth checking out.