Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

Yup, we were using AI, we used LB's for recon, strykers, humvees, couldnt find a thing :|

last chance he was inside building if he moved inside u need to search house by house

or was "blasted" there by explosion or via vehicle exit (into wall into building)) and that's bug

in such case init strategy "raze the city to ground" smile_o.gif

if that fail then blame script bug smile_o.gif

is it normal to crash when you pick a SVD from a dead body? huh.gif

It just happened to now sad_o.gif (first crash to desk top since <s>1.01</s> 1.02)

edit: correct version

@ SPC. More respawn point will shift the balance and feel of the mission. The fact that you can only respawn at airport means you will value your life and the vehicles u need. Players will rambo more if they know there is a respawn point near.

Take a mission if u want to make sure of doing the objective.

I think we spend a lot of our time driving fuel truck (or sending AI) etc to destroyed vehicles just to preserve resources.

ok granted, respawn at airbase makes u value ur life more, but What im saying respawn close to enemy would make firefights more intense, with added resistance.

There's a new SIEGE mode added to ArmA v1.05 that allows you to take over a city by dominating it, making so you don't need to find the LAST guy wegged into a building or the ground, etc etc. I hope this mission uses that method.

One nasty crash I had that caused the computer to completely lockup was during a respawn into the barracks. Could the barracks respawn cause this?

Regardless I find respawning inside the barracks a little odd because of camera issues and such. There just isn't enough room and sometimes you spawn behind the door and have a little trouble getting out. Perhaps respawn in one of the big empty tents instead?

2) Side missions have a negative affect on gameplay.  Personally I think it divides up the server with the point "whores" going off and "Rambo-ing" by themselves.   You really notice the problem when there are only a few people on the server and there are only a couple of people clearing towns.

150% disagree. This is a game. Games are about fun. And quite frankly, some of the side missions are much more fun than clearing towns.

Why is it that you think that clearing towns is the objective of the mission? The side missions are in there as well, why shouldn't we play them?

I've had many fun times in this mission, and 90% of them are from side missions with buddies. A couple that stand out are some behind the lines insertions for convoy ambushes between enemy towns (if those towns were cleared by the town clearing whores, it wouldn't be as much fun, would it?) and the CSAR missions, especially when they're behind the lines in enemy territory.

This mission has something for everybody. For people who want to clear towns, they can do that. For people who want to accomplish certain objectives, they can either take side missions or destroy secondary objectives.

First, thank you for this great mission!

I guess this is more of an Arma issue than an Evolution issue but here it goes:

I would like to run this mission on a dedicated server, one or two nights a week with friends... Is there a way to save the mission after each session and then bring up the server at the next session with the mission at the same stage/state as it was when shutting down?

//Control

Two Possible bugs that maybe BIS issues rather than mission

Played Version 1.1 on a dedicated server.

1.) Person joined mission after we destroyed the 1st Comms Tower, and saw the tower as still up. They could even climb the stairs of the tower, which was weard since I saw the tower as destroyed.

2.) When I try to re-arm / reload vehicles like the M2 M113 at the ammo truck, I can only re-arm / reload for up to 99 rounds. The other mags never reloaded. Also I have to do this from the Gun position. If I am in the driver slot it will get up to about 40 rounds and start over. However I noticed with the HWMVV M2 I could destroy it, and then repair / refuel and it would come back fully re-armed with all 5 mags of 100 rounds. (If this is a BIS issue, perhaps it might be worth it to write a re-arm script for the Ammo Truck as a work around)

Still enjoying this mission. In fact I think I am addicted to it now.

If you ever plan to make different version of this, it might be interesting to see a version of the insurgents / resistance vs US or OPFOR. Would be interesting to play as insurgents.

First, thank you for this great mission!

I guess this is more of an Arma issue than an Evolution issue but here it goes:

I would like to run this mission on a dedicated server, one or two nights a week with friends... Is there a way to save the mission after each session and then bring up the server at the next session with the mission at the same stage/state as it was when shutting down?

//Control

Unfortunately not, games cannot be saved in multiplayer =(

Free-Look Bug .....

Is it a ArmA bug or an Evolution bug?

Sometimes when boarding a vehicle (for me chopper, for others the same and trucks) you start to board, fail, end up standing outside and you are now in FreeLook mode and no way to get out of it !!!!! confused_o.gif

I've had to completely leave the mission and come back to get out for the problem.

BTW, AWESOME coding and concept dude ..... when the annual awards come around for best original mission ...... you got my vote guaranteed ! thumbs-up.gif

Play it in Vet mod to truely get the experience biggrin_o.gif

Gnat @ April 11 2007,15:26)]Free-Look Bug .....

Is it a ArmA bug or an Evolution bug?

Sometimes when boarding a vehicle (for me chopper, for others the same and trucks) you start to board, fail, end up standing outside and you are now in FreeLook mode and no way to get out of it !!!!! confused_o.gif

That's because of lag or desync.

What can i say.

just loving this mission online,totaly addicted to it!notworthy.gif

Getting lots of possative comments about it on the server i play on too.

I played from the start too the finnish lastnight,6hrs plus to complete and what fun with some good team players to work with.

Thanks for all your hard work and the new 1.2 updated version

looking forward to trying it soon!

BiGGiBs

6hrs to complete

That's pretty darn good, IMO.

Kilroy

The server I mostly play on is crashing alot with Evolution. I found this post in the MP Tips and Tricks thread. I wonder if you would care to respond. The server I play on may just be underpowered for the task...dunno.

Quote[/b] ]

Your CPU is overloaded. It cannot process the information fast enough, which is why the fps drop. My guess on the long load times: the mission stores all the (unnecesary) events (such as information about destroyed entities), with which it updates connecting clients. Simply put, Evolution is one unoptimized resource hog. I've unpacked the pbo and taken a look at the mission. Its literally dotted with waypoints and triggers.

My server specs:

2 Opteron 275

4096MB Ram

10MB/s up/down

Running Evolution:

Running with 47fps for the first few minutes.

After 15 minutes and several players more: 20 fps

After 2-3 hours: 15-10 fps

After about 4 hours: 0 fps / server comes to a complete halt

I am not throwing rocks or complaining. Just wondering what your opinion is of the post.

Here's a link to it.

Forum Post

This is definitely a well thought out mission but some of the vehicle usage requirements don't work.  By not working I mean by the time you get it, it's useless.  Primary example... the M1A1 Abrams, you have to be a Colonel to drive it, a bit high don't ya think?  Not even the fact that you have to literally be a Colonel but mainly because to get that many points within a relatively moderate time period you have to be using the chopper to transport people or even the 5ton.  Most likely though the pilots will have the highest scores, from what I've seen so far, and those people aren't going to want to switch to driving a tank (I don't want them to since they can fly well obviously).  So then you are stuck with waiting until you have cleared all but about 3 bases and by that time the distance to drive the tank is so far that there is no point in doing it.

Forcing the transport chopper pilots also to have a higher rank forces friendlies to attack the enemy bases in a linear direction, according to where the road simply takes them next.  You have no decision on whether you want to send a small insertion team into the main base at Pita or some other base and start attacking from two sides.  You can't drive all the way there because of the threat of armor watching roads and enemy aircraft circling ahead.  I suppose you possibly wanted it to be done this way but it definitely takes a bit of the freedom out of the missions.

A good idea for the pilots and crewmen might be to make their classes not able to use anything other than a sidearm and smoke grenades but allow them to exclusively drive or fly anything to their respective specialty.  This way you won't get the BF2 style play where people just jump in the chopper to get somewhere and bail out over it and crash it, BUT... you will be able to have people support the infantry with their armor/apc's/close air support/transport from the very beginning and allow the game to be given different strategies to win.

Overall though it was extremely well done (2 thumbs up).  Please take the last comment above into consideration.  It was talked about over a long discussion with other 31st Unit members.

Side thoughts:

-too many attack choppers and harriers (4 harriers are a bit much, especially since usually no one ever levels up high enough to use them)

-not enough transport choppers (used a lot, obviously)

Just tried running 1.2 in lan mode and took one of the side missions.

AMB/LPAT mission and it completed as soon as i exited the mission hut,went back in and took the same one and again it completed almost instantly wow_o.gif

Seems like it maybe all side missions are doing it just tried LPAT...same thing!

update

seems its only some missions that are doing it...last mission in the list hunt the downed pilots?

seemed ok

also got some error code thrown up on screen when i reached 100points was only there for a few seconds but something to do with error in line 136 or there abouts of an sqs or somemthing like that

bahaha i can post again rofl.gif

anyway, i was thinking about the chopper situation (or any other downed vehicle), why not when they go down, it automaticly creates a side mission to recover and take it back from the "ai that came to investigate" ... that way people have a good reason to get downed vehicles...

one more thing that i didn't get a chance to ask you in server... is it possible to be able to select side missions from out in the field. I know you could always get someone to drive back or make the ai do it (not sure if they can select a mission tho) but you would think that if a commander knew he had guys in the field near a location he wanted taken out he would give the order while they were out.

Just tried running 1.2 in lan mode and took one of the side missions.

AMB/LPAT mission and it completed as soon as i exited the mission hut,went back in and took the same one and again it completed almost instantly

Yeah I just tried and had the same problem.

Edit: It might not be a problem. It seems to be working on a dedicated server. Only tested on local LAN initially.

@ April 11 2007,17:40)]This is definitely a well thought out mission but some of the vehicle usage requirements don't work.  By not working I mean by the time you get it, it's useless.  Primary example... the M1A1 Abrams, you have to be a Colonel to drive it, a bit high don't ya think?  Not even the fact that you have to literally be a Colonel but mainly because to get that many points within a relatively moderate time period you have to be using the chopper to transport people or even the 5ton.  Most likely though the pilots will have the highest scores, from what I've seen so far, and those people aren't going to want to switch to driving a tank (I don't want them to since they can fly well obviously).  So then you are stuck with waiting until you have cleared all but about 3 bases and by that time the distance to drive the tank is so far that there is no point in doing it.

Forcing the transport chopper pilots also to have a higher rank forces friendlies to attack the enemy bases in a linear direction, according to where the road simply takes them next.  You have no decision on whether you want to send a small insertion team into the main base at Pita or some other base and start attacking from two sides.  You can't drive all the way there because of the threat of armor watching roads and enemy aircraft circling ahead.  I suppose you possibly wanted it to be done this way but it definitely takes a bit of the freedom out of the missions.

A good idea for the pilots and crewmen might be to make their classes not able to use anything other than a sidearm and smoke grenades but allow them to exclusively drive or fly anything to their respective specialty.  This way you won't get the BF2 style play where people just jump in the chopper to get somewhere and bail out over it and crash it, BUT... you will be able to have people support the infantry with their armor/apc's/close air support/transport from the very beginning and allow the game to be given different strategies to win.

Overall though it was extremely well done (2 thumbs up).  Please take the last comment above into consideration.  It was talked about over a long discussion with other 31st Unit members.

Side thoughts:

-too many attack choppers and harriers (4 harriers are a bit much, especially since usually no one ever levels up high enough to use them)

-not enough transport choppers (used a lot, obviously)

I disagree, ive seen people who have reached the colonel rank and Ortego was still not cleared. there was also another few towns to capture afterwards, it stops people dominating the whole cities in tanks :\

I think its pretty well balanced at the mo. I just hate the noobs who take choppers, crash them and dont return them :|

EDIT: Dedsheeps idea seems pretty good actually.. it will get people to start recovering downed vehicles. The only problem is i forsee people crashing it near the base then recovering it to base... You'd have to put a distance limit on it or something...

it stops people dominating the whole cities in tanks :\

I disagree.

When the mission is well balanced tanks will never rule the streets.

Without infantry they will be sitting ducks when the AI has enough AT.

IMO this mission has a golden opportunity to offer gameplay for each role, including those riding in tanks from the begining on.

Great news about the new patch, too bad about the side missions still ending too early wink_o.gif

I think this mission has quite potential, but I always find myself doing a quick water patrol to reach sergeants rank when the next objective is cleared. Anytime before I reach sergeant rank I get so disappointed by the other players (not present) teamwork that I disconnect from the server confused_o.gif

I don't want to say there is no teamwork at all but everything I've seen up to now was a very loose teamwork at the best case.

Can anybody tell me a server with decent people (and the best time to play on it to actually meet them?).

We have a dedicated server that we play around on in the evenings that is limited to 10 people (forces you to use teamwork). Even with just us 3 regulars we can clean the mission up in about 6 hours or less. Ours is at (24.214.233.75) when it is turned on.

We all get on TS as well, and it is almost required for the amount of work we do.

Just a quick quesion when starting it as a Dedicated Server for this mission. I have tried the "paramX=X" code about 200 different ways and can't get the Time to change. How can I chang that on server initialize?

Edit: Disregard my last, I just found out how to unpack the pbo. Thanks for the great mission!

V 1.2 uploaded to the =22SAS= public server!!!

Nice one Kiljoy!

I think this mission has quite potential, but I always find myself doing a quick water patrol to reach sergeants rank when the next objective is cleared. Anytime before I reach sergeant rank I get so disappointed by the other players (not present) teamwork that I disconnect from the server confused_o.gif

I don't want to say there is no teamwork at all but everything I've seen up to now was a very loose teamwork at the best case.

Can anybody tell me a server with decent people (and the best time to play on it to actually meet them?).

I'm ussually on everynight untill the late hours

we also have a ts,

so far i got about 5 regular players every night, but we have many others coming in that are apearently on their own ts or w/e cuz they stick together ussually

check sig