Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

KilJoy it's a very good changelog, I like it very much smile_o.gif

What's the release date?

@colligpip

Rank system is very good cure against noobs, who waste equipment and make big mess on the map.

Thank you KilJoy, for bringing this to the "next level"

The additions sounds absolutely amazing, and should add a whole new layer of complexity and challenges to this masterwork!

I can't wait to try it...

One thing though, I'm not so crazy about (at least based on the information you've posted so far) are the "random incursions". Since a big factor of this missions is the transportation aspect, having random enemies spawn in previously cleared areas could seriously disrupt the immersion as well as the game flow.

Perhaps if it were accompanied by a proper notification (via radio warning and map indications) it might work, but if it's just enemies spawning randomly, then I would be afraid that it might be very destructive to the whole campaign feeling. And after all, it's not like the mission is too easy the way it is, and would need some extra challenges...

But I'm sure my worries are unwarranted, as so far everything else you've done to this mission have just been a true innovation and enhancement.

REALLY looking forward to that next release!!! smile_o.gif

This update may actually keep me playing Evo wink_o.gif NICE WORK!

I've only been playing Evolution for about a week with a few in our group. It has been a blast. Looking forward to future versions.

We appreciate all the hard work that is involved with it. notworthy.gif

Kronzky I'm still hammering out the system but for instance because it is based on the vehicle you drive the idea is you will always have the upper hand in incursions. if your in a hummer mg you might meet an unarmed enemy vehicle. I take your point and i will make sure to distinguish between mh6 and armed choppers that can actually defend themselvs. for mh6 you might just get a pretty civilian scene to fill in the boredom or maybe unarmed enemy vehicles or Some allied troops on a patrol. Its more a gap filler then a challenge but the opportunity will be there to earn points or face danger if your in more powerful vehicles. Also as it will take your direction and speed into account things wont spawn under your nose and you should have time to evade. currently only one player suffers and incursion at a time so if there's 30 players you might not experience one for 30 minutes each time. Incursions might only happen in range of active city's or as far south as the front line goes.

One thing I wanted to comment on the rank system was if there is any possibility you lower the rank to drive the abrams tanks to lt instead of it being colonel.

I been playing Evo for a while but not used a tank or plane yet!

Yeah Evo rocks! , I bought the game and have only played that ever since!

All sounds good. Id really like to see a repair vehicle be able to put a small amount of fuel in the tank of the vehicle its repaired. This would be more realistic and trying to cordinate AI with one support vehicle is quite simply hard enough.

One other thing to consider and would add an element of difficulty. A small group of playable OPFOR. Starting at the north end maybe and could either parachute into towns to help protect or give them an Mi17 with machine gun only.

Possible even develop a complete 2 sided revolution map ?

How about adding the ability to turn Revive on or off? It might make both camps happy, you like turn on , you no like turn off.

Great mission, only one myself and my buddies play at the expense of GRAW and R6Vegas. These are the same people that hated OFP, hahaha

All sounds good. Id really like to see a repair vehicle be able to put a small amount of fuel in the tank of the vehicle its repaired. This would be more realistic and trying to cordinate AI with one support vehicle is quite simply hard enough.

One other thing to consider and would add an element of difficulty. A small group of playable OPFOR. Starting at the north end maybe and could either parachute into towns to help protect or give them an Mi17 with machine gun only.

Possible even develop a complete 2 sided revolution map ?

I wouldnt mind seeing a two sided coop, would definately make the campaign more interesting.

@ May 30 2007,22:23)]*Random incursions. Players are often subject to enemy attack anywhere on the map but the airbase , the opponents are chosen based on your location direction and vehicle. This makes the journeys between objectives or missions a little more interesting

I'll be open minded about this and TRY it, but I think it's a mistake.

Why? I'm not a fan of farping in cities you've beaten, and using the current airport spawn - but if you make it harder by making us have to deal with random stuff - that could get far more annoying and frustrating.

Also:

1. It's going to cause more lag.

2. If it's going to be easier stuff, what's the point?

3. How much are all these "calculations" going to tax the dedi servers?

4. Why can't you just "beef up" the cities instead - which I'd really like to see.

I understand that you're trying to make your mission more dynamic and have more features - but that's a bit much.

Also...with points for medics, repairing and other stuff - are you going to adjust the point system?

With 8+ people playing - it's probably fine. But for us true co-op groups that play together and well in packs of 2-6, we're going to get colonel FAST. As it is, playing with 4 people, I already am Colonel before the third city is done... and that's with out ever doing side missions... ever. Nor am I ever a pilot flying people around. That's just points for killing stuff.

P.S. I'm not a fan of revive. People need to learn how not to die and work harder instead of turning this into Battlefield 1942.

P.P.S. I REALLY wish you'd add more enemies into the cities depending on how many players are playing or something like that. That will "balance" out our point system to where it's more the same hardness to get Colonel with 5 people playing or 15.

I must agree with him here....

More enemys at the citys instead..

And the random "E"popups i think is a bad idea..

The points for support is a good one..More of that.

Maby even Big points for getting stuff back. That way

the battlefield wont be littered with crashed vehicles

and choppers.

Points for capturing Enemy vehicles maby?

Hmm...How do i take prisoners???

A-10´s...That requires the 1.07 patch wich is

buggy like BeachBuggy...BAAAD

More Civilcars...

The recruting: Maby a click on map spawn for new

recrutes in your group (Paradrop, YES)

MASH Medics Fhospis: Maby a spawnpossibillity?

With M16+4mags, At+2rocks, 2 nades

Kiljoy,

I would like to suggest that anyone who Marks a Target for a Pilot with a Laser Designator should share the same point with the Pilot.  This should go both ways Positive or Negative points for a bad mark.  This will give players an incentive to use the Laser Designator and work as a team.

Just a thought...  Too many pages to check if this was already requested.

@DRAKO_MDS; I totally agree and know of two others whom I've played with like to see this get implemented.

@KJ; I'd like to see this implemented so much so that I'm even willing to give all or most of the points to the forward observer, designating targets, because they're the ones that make putting warheads on foreheads easy.  Granted, the pilot has to line up the run and talk to the scout on the ground, ensuring they're at a safe distance from the bomb blast, and keep from crashing into the mountains and ground.

Having served as an AMMO Troop in the USAF for more than 22 years (I'm retired now), I know the 500-pound bomb is loaded with one serious punch.  Here's a good read on bombs; "The effect of blast on personnel is confined to a relatively short distance (110 feet for a 2000 pound bomb), quoted from https://wrc.navair-rdte.navy.mil/warfigh....gin.htm

@ KJ

New question:

Why won't AI in my squad drive enemy vehicles when I'm at the rank that allows me to drive them?  They will board a BMP-2, but won't drive the Shilka or T-72.  I think this is an ArmA bug that needs to be fixed.  Let me know if it can be corrected with your scripting.

Go to the following link to see some laser designating from two points of view, from mine as I designated for =dB=Eagle-601, then from the cockpit of the Harrier as I flew while =dB=Eagle-601 designated targets for me on the

]KAW[ satexas.com Evolution Coop [private] server.  

Contact satexas69 if you meet the qualifications mentioned on his post on page 45 of this thread. If you play this way, you'll get the invitation.

...hmm I've got good idea:

What about a team leader who can create a tent where his team can spawn but only with pistol :P

I think more special tasks in each city give us more fun.

um im having problems editing the ranks also dose anyone know where i could find the revolution map

yay.gif

@ May 30 2007,22:23)]*Random incursions. Players are often subject to enemy attack anywhere on the map but the airbase , the opponents are chosen based on your location direction and vehicle. This makes the journeys between objectives or missions a little more interesting

I'll be open minded about this and TRY it, but I think it's a mistake.

Why? I'm not a fan of farping in cities you've beaten, and using the current airport spawn - but if you make it harder by making us have to deal with random stuff - that could get far more annoying and frustrating.

Also:

1. It's going to cause more lag.

2. If it's going to be easier stuff, what's the point?

3. How much are all these "calculations" going to tax the dedi servers?

4. Why can't you just "beef up" the cities instead - which I'd really like to see.

What Kiljoy has also failed to mention is that he also has made big improvements to server load and JIP loading/Recieving data times.

On earlier versions the Dedicated Server was running at 2/3 FPS, now it runs at 8/9 and mid teens. Also JIP times on recieving data has dropped from 20-30min joining times on a 10 hour running map with 20-25 people in game to 2-5 minutes.

Just cause there may not be as many "improvements and features" added does not mean that Kiljoy is not listening to people, he may just have other priorities like improving server/client performance.

Love the mission first of all.

Small suggestion though, if I may, or two.

People tend to go solo all over the map and it creates more lag with more spawns and hinders teamplay in a fashion.

So, to help this a little, would you consider giving extra points for being in the "next in the list" town or fewer points for being somewhere else (or a combo, or a variation or whatever) ?

Also, perhaps the point distribution for missions and fighting in towns (and transporting (maybe more?) are a bit disproportionate.

Moreover, often there's someone who will grind 200 points in missions and then go roll over the rest of the map in a tank solo and perhaps that's simply their perogative, but it can quickly become sucky for everyone else when basic infantry lose their value utterly. Mission runners also tend to spend up helicopters and such that others need for transportation.

I know it's not easy to balance this, but perhaps more AT and AA SLA soldiers would help?

Perhaps I just dislike the grind a little as it's pretty much a solo game. When I join an online game I sort of expect some team play so maybe I'm biased.

Anyway, not a complaint But if you give it a 2 second consideration I'd be happy.

(didn't read the 65pages, sorry)

I keep seeing different versions of the great playing Addon, but where does one get the newer versions? We are playing version A, and I was just ona server with version J, and the play was so different.

Anyone have a link for these versions?

By The Way Kiljoy. This addon is one of the best ever. Myself and my community play it non-stop. Keep up the good work.

@wamingo

Im a missionjunkie i admit...But i DO NOT take choppers

(Unless i spent 15-30 min getting a crashed one back (

1prio MH6´s, if i retr a UH i leave it in base))

for missions.

@KilJoy

The missions tend to get VERRY far away.

Almost ALLWAYS up northw on the N.Saharani

Island. That is a bit anoying. Sometimes there

are several sidemissions in the "same" area..BAAAD

Might wanna check into that....Please notworthy.gif

People tend to go solo all over the map and it creates more lag with more spawns and hinders teamplay in a fashion.

Perhaps I just dislike the grind a little as it's pretty much a solo game. When I join an online game I sort of expect some team play so maybe I'm biased.

You don't have mission issues as much as "stupid public server people" issues - in my opinion.

Feel free to jump to page 45 in this thread and read my post about our private server. If you play good co-op like us and use teamspeak, feel free to join our server. Lots of fun, actual co-op.

I have to agree with wamingo on this,once you get a skilled

player and points junkie playing say for example in the cobra.

If your playing as infantry the mission can realy get rather linear,within 2 mins of arriving at a town the cobra has taken out all the shilkas,t72s,bmp's,brds,uaz's

then they are free to sit hovvering over the town taking out the ai squads...so unless you arrive at the town within the first few minutes you are left to basicly find the few remaining troops that are in the hard to find parts of the towns...meanwhile the cobras off clearing the next town

so your constanly playing catchup.

Also makes it very hard to make any points yourself if  your a ground pounder,used to be realy fun getting into the middle of a town and hearing some armour & having to manouver yourself into possion to get a clean rear shot on a T72 ect,made the towns alot more fun/dangerous to be in.

Don't know what to suggest to help with this appart from half the squads in each town having a strela soldier in their groups

I have nothing against people that want to use the helis, and good CAS is great.

for me personaly the goal of getting points is to gain rank so i can have a variety of options open to me...so i can use anything i take a fancy to using...but i never want to use any one thing exclusivly for more than 40 mins max.

Once im at max rank i couldn't care if i didn't make another point for the rest of the game.

for some it seems to get max points reguardless of the cost of the gameplay/gameing experince to the rest of the players on the server.

i have seen the same person make use of the cobras from cayo all the way to the end in pita...even used his ai to fly the 2nd cobra and then another ai in the a10!

Maybe fun for the pilot but makes the mission for the rest of the players a race to get to the town bofore everything is wiped out.

Hopefully something can be done to balance it a bit more so its fun the heli pilots still and the little guys on the ground.

BiGGiBs

Thanks for this great mission Killjoy.

I don't know if this was already suggested, but I think it would be nice to have an option to set the penalty for dying as a ratio of points to be taken when one dies. At least something like "lose no points / lose half / lose all". Having a penalty would IMO encourage players to do more teamwork and tactics because that's how one can fight and survive for a long time in this game. Of course I see why many players would hate the penalty system and that's why I think it should be a server admin option. One exception of course, it would suck to be demoted due to a a stupid TK so that would need to be taken into account.

Another thing that would be great for private servers that allocate plenty of CPU and RAM and things get more organized would be to be able to delay the respawning of vehicles and the dead body cleanup for longer, say instead of 10 minutes to 1 hour. It's so frustrating when you take out a sniper and want to grab his weapon, not always you can reach his body in under 10 minutes to snatch his Dragunov smile_o.gif You'll want to wait until the area is clear before rushing there and by that time BAM he's gone, like magic. Maybe a condition to bury the corpses only if there is no player around within a 500m radius.

You don't have mission issues as much as "stupid public server people" issues - in my opinion.

You're totally right, but Evolution is so popular and played on so many public servers that perhaps this sort of thing would be worth investigating anyway.

My only gripe is the lack of team play. Seriously no one plays in a squad. Even the famous SES server. everyone squaded on their own and even TS was silent. Killjoy please please make it more team centric. everyone babbles about realism. Whats realistic about ramboing?