Sign in to follow this  
amrax

Sniping

Is there a way to adjust the scope's elevation, windage and focus?

And is there a laser range finder available?

The scopes are fixed except for SPR but it doesn't matter because you can't hit anything with it. You can find the range of a person with the Russian scopes and another way is to be team leader and pressing the quick command button over a target.

not at the moment im afraid, although im sure it could be modded in some way, just a case of waiting (or if ur adventurous and have the time you could mod it urself!wink_o.gif

bootneckofficer

Yea but the mil dot system ins't as fun, Celery. wink_o.gif

I like tech gadgets. :P

Hitting anything in coop is extremely hard with all the lag of the AI anyway, I see them "teleporting" 3m at a time.

The scopes are fixed except for SPR but it doesn't matter because you can't hit anything with it.

?? use the spr all the time, my fav gun. -- outside about 800 meters its a bit hit and miss, but otherwise its an awesome gun.

The scopes are fixed except for SPR but it doesn't matter because you can't hit anything with it.

?? use the spr all the time, my fav gun. -- outside about 800 meters its a bit hit and miss, but otherwise its an awesome gun.

Every time I fire with it, I see the bullets going in random direction making the rifle a useless toy just like regular M4. 800 meters is a big distance even for the big snipers, are you sure you're guessing the distance quite right?

Every time I fire with it, I see the bullets going in random direction making the rifle a useless toy just like regular M4. 800 meters is a big distance even for the big snipers, are you sure you're guessing the distance quite right?

With player or ai if they are sitting still or running towards you then they are dead meat, if they zig zag or keep moving your fooked. I made a 1Km shot the other day but the guy decided to sit still when i just missed with the first shot. For now the best way to avoid snipers is to keep moving.

it is the way we do since OFP, AIs with SVD in a correct mood is deadly

yeah, its around 700-800 that i stop using it. - you have to aim up a fair bit, but it works.

it does go off to the sides a bit now and then, but waiting a bit seems to help.

anyhow, the spr rocks :-)

dragunov-pso.jpg

The scope of the SVD is not conform.

The upper reticle is zeroed at 900m. The next ones are 1100m, 1200m and 1300m.

Now.. the PSO1 has a 4x magnification. So how am I supposed to place the uper reticle on a man that is 900m away ? I cant immagine how this should work practically... but in the game it doesnt neither.

So why doesnt the ingame PSO1 resemble the real PSO1 ?

There used to be a guide in OFP for aiming the SVD, much like the one photo you have of the scope above. You might be able to google SVD Weapon blueprints and see if that helps, that is ... if its modelled accurately of course biggrin_o.gif

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Mar. 26 2007,12:04)]The scope of the SVD is not conform.

The upper reticle is zeroed at 900m. The next ones are 1100m, 1200m and 1300m.

Now.. the PSO1 has a 4x magnification. So how am I supposed to place the uper reticle on a man that is 900m away ? I cant immagine how this should work practically... but in the game it doesnt neither.

So why doesnt the ingame PSO1 resemble the real PSO1 ?

On the real PSO-1 the top chevron is turret adjustable to

between 100 and 850 metres. I have no idea what it is meant

to be set at in the game, however.

edit (more detail): There are two turrets on the telescope

that allow you to dial in a range to correspond to the top

chevron. The other chevrons then each correspond to

100m more than the previous chevron, up to 1200 metres

maximum. Practically, though, the SVD isn't really meant to

be used at much over 600 metres. This is on the real SVD, I

can't say how authentic the Arma representation of it is (I

never "snipe" in the game so far)

I don't think you guys got the point.

Quote[/b] ]The upper reticle is zeroed at 900m. The next ones are 1100m, 1200m and 1300m.

Both sniper rifle are adjustable from at l00 to at least 600, that includes 100-200-300-400-500-600-etc etc

I primarely was talking about he M24 but since we bring in the SVD, its alot more accurate but nonetheless you need to adjust the scope or it would be useless.

Quote[/b] ]I made a 1Km shot the other day but the guy decided to sit still when i just missed with the first shot. For now the best way to avoid snipers is to keep moving.

1KM huh.gif Are you sure...? I want your graphic card wink_o.gif.

I did figure out how to range and hit occording the dots but it isn't what it should be but than I'm talking WW2 techniques. With luck I get a 1:3 ratio hit at ANY range, except at 300m where its exactly on the middle.

Since they claim they made the game with the help of the army, at least the weapons should be what they really are and 2 adjustments for a scope is minimum!

I play alot of games and always the sniper is off here and there which is normal by now but not for ArmA.

The only two games I know of in which the snipers work are "Sniper Elite" and "Hidden & Dangerous", I tried BF2 but my sidearm is more accurate than my sniper, so...

when we speak about sniping,

i definitely missing way to deploy weapon to stabilize (bidpod, tripod, on edges (rock, wall etc)) ...

yet i hope it may get's implemented one day ...

There are some conversion errors in the bullet drop compensator portion of the dragunov sight illustration. I don't know if it's really crucial, but those ranges in yards are all incorrect compared to meters. I think someone reversed their dimensional analysis equation when they were figuring.

i definitely missing way to deploy weapon to stabilize (bidpod, tripod, on edges (rock, wall etc)) ...

I don't know if you've ever played with it, but the Infiltration mod for Unreal Tournament had this (as a 3rd party addon). Basically it calculated where the ground was (you can walk on the ground without falling through in ArmA, but whether or not you can actually get that working on a weapon, I doubt, same goes for weapon collision) and through a shortcut you could deploy the weapon (sniper rifles mainly). As the "scope" of ArmA is alot bigger, I fear this is not possible.

"Spawning" a static "turret" with the correct weapon could be another option.

Well does anyone know the exact height or soldiers in ArmA? I've been trying to make the Mil formulae work in ArmA and so far it hasnt been working out too well. If someone has managed to make it work I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Despite the fact that I cannot get the official Mil calculations to work in ArmA, I still managed to create myself a table to calculate distance to target and elevation required in order to hit. What bugs me is not being able to make any sense of it. It seems pretty random so if someone could look at it and come up with an equation, it would be nice.

Targets Height / ~Distance / Elevation to Hit

7mils / 300M / 0mils

6mils / 350M / 0.5mils

5mils / 400m / 1mils

4mils / 500m / 2mils

3.5mils / 600m / 3mils

3mils / 700m / 4mils

2.5mils / 800m / 5mils

I get the feeling im going to get sniped alot more now that I've given up my tricks. banghead.gif

I don't know if you've ever played with it, but the Infiltration mod for Unreal Tournament had this (as a 3rd party addon). Basically it calculated where the ground was (you can walk on the ground without falling through in ArmA, but whether or not you can actually get that working on a weapon, I doubt, same goes for weapon collision) and through a shortcut you could deploy the weapon (sniper rifles mainly). As the "scope" of ArmA is alot bigger, I fear this is not possible.

"Spawning" a static "turret" with the correct weapon could be another option.

well i'm quite positive both is possible (let say i base on what said Suma about possible script modding but no idea how hard could be to reach that)

-use bidpod, tripod to stabilize weapon

-lay weapon to stabilize on edges/tops of objects

UT:I is just one on many

it will be fine even if it's like

edges in Red Orchestra OstFront 41-45

with bidpod like in Americas Army or mg in ROO

i know Infiltration done lot of stuff (or via 3rd party muts)

but i don't want to wait years to get done some features ...

Targets Height / ~Distance / Elevation to Hit

7mils / 300M / 0mils

6mils / 350M / 0.5mils

5mils / 400m / 1mils

4mils / 500m / 2mils

3.5mils / 600m / 3mils

3mils / 700m / 4mils

2.5mils / 800m / 5mils

I've find the same values with the m24, for the equation (range finding) : Range= 1000 x [Target size in meters] / Mils (Where 1000 is only for a 10x scope, 500 for a 5x)

5 mils * 400 m / 1000 = 2m height for a man. (with shoes and helmet, i find it quite good).

The bad thing for me is the bullet trajectory witch is a strait line over 300m (but easy to remember).

The velocity seem to be accurate.

The SVD manual and his Optics

The ArmA characters are about 1,50 m tall.

With the correct MILDot formula, everything works really well.

However, with patch 1.05 the magnification of the M3A scope changed to 14x not 10x.

(Target size [m] * 1000) / MIL reading = range

The interpolated MIL readings are quite important !

If you use 2.5 MILS if it's actually 2.75 you probably miss the shot !

The PSO-1 SVD reticle is not calibrated at all.

The correct MILDot formula use the magnification of the scope : (Target size [m] * 100 * magnification ) / MIL reading = range

The M3A should be a standard 10x scope.

At 300m (according to 7mil mesured by Birgrim):

with 14x : 300m * 7mil / (14 * 100) = 1,5 m (a bit small for me)

with 10x : 300m * 7mil/ (10 * 100) = 2,1m (the island of basket players ?)

If we consider a 1.8 m man -> 11.6x scope crazy_o.gif

We should try to measure a tank, (we know his size)

I'm smile_o.gif to share your felling in sniping.

Let's make Arma standard scope & ballistics rules, it's important for rifles like M107.

I've began to make some, but when i see the 1.05 patch changes, i focus on AT weapons.

You work the wrong way. Start with the basics. Magnification -> target size. If you use a fictional size, you get the wrong results.

I know there was someone who said a human in ArmA is 1,50 m tall. So I take that as a fixed parameter. Same is the magnification (which was 10x in 1.02 and now is 14x).

The formula was 0.35*[magnification]^-1 = ArmA value

But I use a more advanced formula.

If the target height is 1,50 m everything works out fine with 10x.

Use the formula to calculate the target size with the given parameters...