Sign in to follow this  
Frantic

petition for wood camo

Did you even read Frantic’s first post? So the US army no longer issue woodland camo? OK realism is it? …. Has the US army actually been recently deployed to Sahrani  …A small island in the Atlantic with a tropical south and temperate northern climate? Have you ever heard of soldiers that don’t cough, sneeze, swear and fart or need to piss and have to eat? … Realism? … This is a game mate … realism is just an illusion in case you haven’t noticed!

The US army are still perfectly capable of re issuing woodland camo if the need arises. IRL the need has not arisen. But this is a fictitious tale of a fictitious war in a fictitious country! Notice the word: ‘fictitious’!  tounge2.gif

Note the word MANDATORY as in Woodland is no longer issued and is not authorised!

ACU is designed for all terain, not as Desert-only!

And I think at LEAST 85% of ArmA players want things to be as Authentic and realistic as possible.

I personaly think BIS should rethink the whole BLUFOR layout and change them to compeletly Marine's (Marine vehicals, Marines, Ect.) or US. Army. Not Marmy, As blackdog said.

Quote[/b] ]and what happend to those textures ?

http://www.armedassault.eu/images/news/arma.jpg

The US. Army changed camo before ArmA was even half done, thats what happened! That was a way old picture of a really damn eary build. Looked like OFP still back then!

Quote[/b] ]why is that stupid?..there are more military armys out there than just the superduper US army...for example the Croatian army is wearing the BDU uniforms and im sure there are alot more.

It's stupid for you to say something asinine like "tell me there are no armies using the BDU im waiting!!"

That's ridiculous, nobody was talking about any other force so why even bring that into the equation?

How does "US should wear BDUs" equal "Croatia has BDUs!"? It was a stupid thing for you to say because it wasn't meant as anything other than some kind of flame bait.

Yeah, I know there are other armies, I've served along side British, Polish, Hungarian, and South Koreans to name just a few.

Quote[/b] ] already did some weeks after the German release!

I'm glad, then there should be no need of this thread, right?

Quote[/b] ]PS: im going to make an addon pack for my league, but i wanna play public games too and i wanna see more people who can enjoy this great game, but for that we need one unit with wood camo on the BLUFOR or RACS side.

And i still dont believe that it would be such a great work to make one and implement it in one of the next patches!

I appreciate this a lot, and I appreciate anyone who supports this game, but your argument for US Soldiers to being wearing BDUs is wrong.

Quote[/b] ] cant believe this is the only guy who said this in the whole thread. Since BIS says the US troops on Sahrani are officially USMC and US ARMY trooops. And Marines are having to wear and ACU which doesnt happen in real life.

What about the officer on the US side he cleary is wearing a Marine style utility hat. I have even seen this brought up before about how the officer wears a US Marine style uniform with the ACU camo.

There is a breakdown somewhere showing the exact units ingame for the US. They are made up of US Army, US Army National Guard, and US Marine units. So its all confusing. As someone once stated they probably did this so no militay branches would just use Arma and stop buying VBS. Supposedly the units ingame represent some of VBS's actually customers.

I say that since we officially know there is a mix of soldiers, that they add in an upcoming release some US Marine Infantry units with MARPAT. It really shouldnt change a thing.

I must admit that when I play as the SLA the US troops might as well be wearing white snow camo cause thats how it looks to me.

The only Marines in the game are some pilots and apparently the officer.

Quote[/b] ]why is that stupid?..there are more military armys out there than just the superduper US army...for example the Croatian army is wearing the BDU uniforms and im sure there are alot more.

It's stupid for you to say something asinine like "tell me there are no armies using the BDU im waiting!!"

That's ridiculous, nobody was talking about any other force so why even bring that into the equation?

How does "US should wear BDUs" equal "Croatia has BDUs!"? It was a stupid thing for you to say because it wasn't meant as anything other than some kind of flame bait.

Yeah, I know there are other armies, I've served along side British, Polish, Hungarian, and South Koreans to name just a few.

Quote[/b] ] already did some weeks after the German release!

I'm glad, then there should be no need of this thread, right?

Quote[/b] ]PS: im going to make an addon pack for my league, but i wanna play public games too and i wanna see more people who can enjoy this great game, but for that we need one unit with wood camo on the BLUFOR or RACS side.

And i still dont believe that it would be such a great work to make one and implement it in one of the next patches!

I appreciate this a lot, and I appreciate anyone who supports this game, but your argument for US Soldiers to being wearing BDUs is wrong.

Quote[/b] ] cant believe this is the only guy who said this in the whole thread. Since BIS says the US troops on Sahrani are officially USMC and US ARMY trooops. And Marines are having to wear and ACU which doesnt happen in real life.

What about the officer on the US side he cleary is wearing a Marine style utility hat. I have even seen this brought up before about how the officer wears a US Marine style uniform with the ACU camo.

There is a breakdown somewhere showing the exact units ingame for the US. They are made up of US Army, US Army National Guard, and US Marine units. So its all confusing. As someone once stated they probably did this so no militay branches would just use Arma and stop buying VBS. Supposedly the units ingame represent some of VBS's actually customers.

I say that since we officially know there is a mix of soldiers, that they add in an upcoming release some US Marine Infantry units with MARPAT. It really shouldnt change a thing.

I must admit that when I play as the SLA the US troops might as well be wearing white snow camo cause thats how it looks to me.

The only Marines in the game are some pilots.

Yeah, the cap is plain wrong. So? Also, whomever made the Order of Battle for the default BLUFOR units had no idea what he was talking about, so it means pretty much nothing to me.

Changing the hat to be right would be nice, I suppose, but I would just rather they gave the officer a helmet and a rifle like *real* officers have. I would also like some troops without their gear on wearing berets or patrol caps, but I know that these are things that I'll probably end up having to make.

We can't sit around and hope they make each and every single thing we want them to, it just isn't going to happen. Having some actual Marines would be nice too but I refuse to hold my breath.

What's wrong with asking them to fix up the multiplayer though? Until BIS comes out and either says yes or no, I don't see the problem here.

The US. Army changed camo before ArmA was even half done, thats what happened! That was a way old picture of a really damn eary build. Looked like OFP still back then!

Wow. You're really desperate for an argument if you say that looks anything like OFP. It doesn't even look like ArmA. That's because it's a render done in a 3D program.

well this images show alota stuff of arma, i know that it is not ingame, but ppl bought it coz of it.

btw which ofp did you played huh.gif

armafr5_t2.jpg

same goes for this image and i remember that it's not long ago since it was released. all features seen here made their way into arma, except the camo suite, which seemed to be canceled pretty late in dev. That it would destroy all the small maps and the fun seemed to be of no interest. and if you still don't believe it, i could find many lastest pic's showing us soldiers with greenwood camo in service but that's not what it is about.

armafr4_t2.jpg

Did you even read Frantic’s first post? So the US army no longer issue woodland camo? OK realism is it? …. Has the US army actually been recently deployed to Sahrani …A small island in the Atlantic with a tropical south and temperate northern climate? Have you ever heard of soldiers that don’t cough, sneeze, swear and fart or need to piss and have to eat? … Realism? … This is a game mate … realism is just an illusion in case you haven’t noticed!

The US army are still perfectly capable of re issuing woodland camo if the need arises. IRL the need has not arisen. But this is a fictitious tale of a fictitious war in a fictitious country! Notice the word: ‘fictitious’! tounge2.gif

Note the word MANDATORY as in Woodland is no longer issued and is not authorised!

ACU is designed for all terain, not as Desert-only!

And I think at LEAST 85% of ArmA players want things to be as Authentic and realistic as possible.

I personaly think BIS should rethink the whole BLUFOR layout and change them to compeletly Marine's (Marine vehicals, Marines, Ect.) or US. Army. Not Marmy, As blackdog said.

Quote[/b] ]and what happend to those textures ?

The realism-freak troops should wake up a bit and realise, they ain't the only ones playing this game, and they have absolutely no clue even if they are the majority.

As far as realism goes, as written multiple times already, ArmA is that full of completely un-real things, events, situations, that nitpicking against some1 asking for an addition (note the term : addition, your precious ACU is nowhere to be removed from the game, it would be an option, is that clear enough?) is utterly childish!

Secondly, most PvP MP game, and dare I say, most public MP game, are played by people that have no clue, and no reason to have a clue, about these boards or any other ArmA boards dealing with add-ons. In short terms : public MP players don't use addons. Hence why the request is toward BI.

Thirdly, just as a sidenote, as far as I've seen, the "west side" is labeled as "BLUEFOR", or "west" in scripting language. Not "US Army", nor "US Marines". It appears in campaign, and in units done in game, BLUEFOR is made of US Marmy soldiers, but asking for woodland camos makes perfect sense for a "West" or "BLUEFOR" Army, if you ask me.

And finally, before anyone jump in arguing about why play such public irreallistic map settings, just ask yourself the question : who are you to dictate how others play? And what is better in ArmA than in other game, that is not realism? Isn't ArmA also unique for it's scale, freedom of action, mission editing capabilities? Why people seeking these strong points be "punished"?

The only ones who dictate how we play are BI. And guess what? They've made one of the most open game, enabling full freedom of action and scenarios. I guess it's not for nothing, and certainly not to only please realism wanabees (which I am too, before you think I'm insulting).

How realistic is the representation of the ACU's pattern in

the game? Is it a matter of being "realistically conspicuous"

or "unrealistically conspicuous" among the ArmA bushes?

It seems that when I look at pictures of the real ACU suits

it appears much "greener" than it seems in ArmA (at least as

it runs on my steam-powered PC). Might it not just be a case

of filing a bug asking for the ACU colour scheme in-game to

be improved?

How realistic is the representation of the ACU's pattern in

the game? Is it a matter of being "realistically conspicuous"

or "unrealistically conspicuous" among the ArmA bushes?

It seems that when I look at pictures of the real ACU suits

it appears much "greener" than it seems in ArmA (at least as

it runs on my steam-powered PC). Might it not just be a case

of filing a bug asking for the ACU colour scheme in-game to

be improved?

Ive noticed that too

From the brief experiences I've had with ACU in reality (which is relatively few, thank god) it is accurately represented in the game. It is truly some ugly camouflage (if there is such a thing as "ugly camo").

The ArmA ACU suits look a bit faded, but it does look like it's

falling on the "realistically conspicuous" side of the fence.

As Lt. Col. Frost says in "A Bridge Too Far":

hopkins.jpg

"We're wearing the wrong camouflage!"

a simple yes, no or a propably by a developer would really help us, because as it is, most ctf  leagues like GC or OWL would need to use addons making everythink harder and public games incompatible. in my eyes a bad step for public games and as BIS doesn't give us any CTF maps, its up to the leagues to support the comunity with balanced maps.

As there are mostly only 3-5 CTF servers activ, playing mostly Frantic's maps, the result in using addons would end up in no more public ctf server avaible. If that's the goal, we're almost there...

oh, and a editorupgrade would be also appriciated

greetings

guerilla [MCY]

guerilla @ Mar. 29 2007,15:19)]a simple yes, no or a propably by a developer would really help us, because as it is, most ctf  leagues like GC or OWL would need to use addons making everythink harder and public games incompatible. in my eyes a bad step for public games and as BIS doesn't give us any CTF maps, its up to the leagues to support the comunity with balanced maps.

As there are mostly only 3-5 CTF servers activ, playing mostly Frantic's maps, the result in using addons would end up in no more public ctf server avaible. If that's the goal, we're almost there...

oh, and a editorupgrade would be also appriciated

greetings

guerilla [MCY]

Rather than spoiling the community by having us completely rely on them, BIS should instead just look into a more effective way to make required 3rd party content available to those who need it and don't know where or how to find it, thus solving 2 (or more) problems at once.

Quote[/b] ]BIS should instead just look into a more effective way to make required 3rd party content available to those who need it

Surprisingly I find myself in agreement with KyleSarnik wink_o.gif A lot of these discussion about 'it would be cool if BIS could add this' vs 'why don't you go and make an addon' would be moot if addon-management was less painful for the average player.

(And FWIW, I agree with the original request. It's a GAME stoopid ! It's unrealistic in all sorts of ways, accuracy of uniforms and camouflage no doubt being far from the worst offender. I would hazard a guess than most players, whether CO-OP, CTF, CTI or single player enjoy it predominantly because of the style of gameplay that the one-shot-one-kill mechanism enforces rather than the fact that the G36 barrel is rendered in exactly the right shade of gunmetal. biggrin_o.gif )

lol smile_o.gif

anyway you know there is unit (ingame) viewer addon from Kronzky (also animation viewer he made)

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=59328

well i was thinking something like this but re-used for camo / unit selection on mission start (with bit effort You can see how Your soldier looks with equip and w/o equip etc) ...

p.s. i agree i would love to see some 'woodland' camo for BLUFOR and 'desert' camo single unit (special purpose) for REDFOR just as default (for general nub public w/o knowledge about addons) ...

this addon content manager upload think is a nice idee and it's been around seen 5 years, but imaging a upload content of 50MB - 500MB. some ppl might have weeks to dl this depending on the source, which would cause new problems.

I really don't see any other addons missing so bad like the woodcamo. A T80 / 90 / MI24 / would be nice to, of caurse, but i think we can life without it.

What i would suggest is propably only some special units like known in ofp (Speznas / Blackops). Just some usefull addition to the game to save the CTF comunity. it would'nt hurt anyway.

The last thing I'd want to do when designing a mission for others to play that required wood-camo, is figure out which wood-camo addon everybody else has got. I don't have any figures here sitting in front of me (apart from those little excitable yellow guys to the left of this text-box), but I'm thinking anyone with a bit of creativity and knowledge in skinning/models made a crapload of similar stuff for OFP as they will do for ArmA.

Perhaps some "BIS acknowledge" or, "BIS supported" labels would help here where the cream of the crop is cited by BIS and gives the mission makers at least a bit of a clue as to which to use.

I think we need to identify the REAL problem here. Yes this particular case is that some people want units with woodland BDUs. Yes, it's clear that there are already addons available for this. Ok, but some people are now saying addons are no good because not everyone has them. But if everyone could get the correct addons when they needed them (perhaps even automatically) this thread wouldn't even exist. A lot of people have already made it clear they wanted something like this anyway. Imagine all the content requests that will no longer be made if this one feature were available. I think that's a better solution, that way BIS gets to keep their story how they want it and the CTF players (among others) get to have what they keep whining about.

Honestly there've been too many requests made to BIS for stuff that mods should be responsible for. Either people are getting lazier (which they probably are) and depending on BIS a lot more or they just don't see what they can do for themselves. At least something to make addon management easier would help this a bit.

Quote[/b] ]The last thing I'd want to do when designing a mission for others to play that required wood-camo, is figure out which wood-camo addon everybody else has got. I don't have any figures here sitting in front of me (apart from those little excitable yellow guys to the left of this text-box), but I'm thinking anyone with a bit of creativity and knowledge in skinning/models made a crapload of similar stuff for OFP as they will do for ArmA.

The point we're trying to make is that an addon management system would fill in any missing addons, so you could choose which ones you like best and not have to worry.

If the problem is CTF using the pilot models might be an alternative, obviously not optimal but atleast functional? confused_o.gif .

The pilots dont stand out so much in green areas like the acu's do.

ive not really been following this but if you want to keep it realistic why not

americans keep there ICU(ACU) camo. Give the RACS woodland BDU and the SLA a desert camo as both of them are fictional.

Quote[/b] ]The last thing I'd want to do when designing a mission for others to play that required wood-camo, is figure out which wood-camo addon everybody else has got.  I don't have any figures here sitting in front of me (apart from those little excitable yellow guys to the left of this text-box), but I'm thinking anyone with a bit of creativity and knowledge in skinning/models made a crapload of similar stuff for OFP as they will do for ArmA.

The point we're trying to make is that an addon management system would fill in any missing addons, so you could choose which ones you like best and not have to worry.

do the relavent "bits" get included in the pbo? As in, there is no need to download anything else but my mission file?

(Apologies for sounding n00b... my experience with mission editing has so far been constrained to OFP and no add-ons, and am just beginning to move on in to Arma).

you cannot have addons in your mission file, they mean if you require an addon to play the map, you would have an option to download it while joining the server but the problem there might be too big addon files. mapfiles are usually 100kb -1000kb, while an addon can be even 100Mb or more in ArmA, just image a whole island.

if you could choose the addon yourself, we would end up with alota ppl making their own pink addons to cheat and thats why we wanna use only original BIS addons.