Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Increased view distance, quite stunning

I'm playing 1000m mountaintop sniper wars with view set at 10,000. What a bullet drop! FPS seem steady at 25-35 with the 7900 gs. Yet I can't get enemy snipers to fire at me though they turn towards me- how do I increase AI's engagement max?

The pics are astonishing wow_o.gif

That's the reason why I keep on playing OFP&ArmA since 2001

Keep up the awesome work BIS smile_o.gif

This is what I call a big advantage. notworthy.gif BIS my faith to ur work is come to more stronger as ever b4. What this means in CTI well now I hope to see crCTI maps with over 5km VD and then we can fight with tanks without annoying dusk.

Wow, those are awesome pictures.

The new map system truely outstrips OFP and most other games.

..... in fact, it almost seems offensive to call this a "game". Its more like a 3D Realistic Terrain Study tool!

again .... wow.

Gnat @ Mar. 14 2007,22:56)]again .... wow.

and say it backwards too:

wow.

wink_o.gif

froggyluv : you need to tweak the configs for the units/weapons/. If you are not used to it wait for DVDs config or for the first OCE release.

Nice pic,is realy look damn good from the air.Can eny one tell me how much can i have "view distance" on my pc?:

AMD athlon 2500 barton

1 giga rama

(GeForce 6600: N6600)

thx for answer tounge2.gif

looks like its time to change the server settings

really nice pics

Is this a bug ?

Or a mean to permit to low end PC owners to play ArmA and all together to play MP ?

With 1.05, ArmA is really playable on my old rig (AMD XP2000+, 1,67Ghz - 7600 GS 256) ... with distance wiew at 500 m. Playing infantry it's all right.

With 1.05, ArmA is really fun to play on my new "ArmA ready" thing (CoreDuo6600 - X1950Pro 512), unless you pilot plane. Setting wiew to more than 2500 m seems to change nothing ... haze everywhere.

But, as it is now, we can play a Lan on 2 PC in very near conditions.

If things are changed to permit a real 10.000m view, there will be too big a difference between the 2 PC. In MP, it will be very frustrating for the people having the "biggest" one to be limited by weaklings.

Hi all

In reply to Old Bear

One of the things about OFP and ArmA I truly love is that one can have engagement ranges in the 1000m to 3000m plus range you can never do this RV6, CSS, BF etc

Those other games never model real bullet ballistics.

You can configure certain units with a different view distance in OFP and ArmA for MP. One great little trick is to give snipers and pilots longer view distances. It means then engage at the ranges they would engage at but the rest of us can play a view distance that suits our machine. It tailors the out put for the job.

Also a dot is a dot whether your view disance is 1,200m ArmA MP default or the 10,000 that now apears possible. Just because you can see that far does not mean you can see a minute target like man that far. Scopes help but they also take time to aim so view distance caused lag is not a real issue.

When you are firing at a distant target you are usualy aided by a forward observer or recon or spotter in the real world.

In OFP I used to act as spotter for some guys in Bradley's, in MP, on the Zeus server, calling in their shots on targets they could not see hidden in the tree line.

"See the three Big trees on the left front of the wood at grid ref 105 231?"

"OK the middle tree about 10m behind fire one marker round"

"OK Shift up 1 left 5 one round"

"Shift Right 2 one round"

"You are on him!"

"Five rounds Rapid fire"

"He is dead!"

"Next target"

And now at night it is going to be so much better and we are going to be able engage 3000m and more no problem.

I just fired up the editor and had bunch UH60s and AH1s flying around some enemy ground forces. I kept jumping form gunner position to gunner position and to an on ground spotter position the whole light show looked exactly like some real footage of a gatling gun on a copter on you tube. Tracer were bouncing up from the ground and the armour just like in the video.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

In reply to Old Bear

One of the things about OFP and ArmA I truly love is that one can have engagement ranges in the 1000m to 3000m plus range you can never do this RV6, CSS, BF etc

Those other games never model real bullet ballistics.

You can configure certain units with a different view distance in OFP and ArmA for MP. One great little trick is to give snipers and pilots longer view distances. It means then engage at the ranges they would engage at but the rest of us can play a view distance that suits our machine. It tailors the out put for the job.

Also a dot is a dot whether your view disance is 1,200m ArmA MP default or the 10,000 that now apears possible. Just because you can see that far does not mean you can see a minute target like man that far. Scopes help but they also take time to aim so view distance caused lag is not a real issue.

When you are firing at a distant target you are usualy aided by a forward observer or recon or spotter in the real world.

In OFP I used to act as spotter for some guys in Bradley's, in MP, on the Zeus server, calling in their shots on targets they could not see hidden in the tree line.

"See the three Big trees on the left front of the wood at grid ref 105 231?"

"OK the middle tree about 10m behind fire one marker round"

"OK Shift up 1 left 5 one round"

"Shift Right 2 one round"

"You are on him!"

"Five rounds Rapid fire"

"He is dead!"

"Next target"

And now at night it is going to be so much better and we are going to be able engage 3000m and more no problem.

I just fired up the editor and had bunch UH60s and AH1s flying around some enemy ground forces. I kept jumping form gunner position to gunner position and to an on ground spotter position the whole light show looked exactly like some real footage of a gatling gun on a copter on you tube. Tracer were bouncing up from the ground and the armour just like in the video.

Kind Regards walker

Key difference between ARMA and most shooters is in ARMA you have to actually AIM.

And a sniper can really kill you at 1km with 1 shot and he has to work out bullet drop or even bounce LOL to kill you.Joint Op's was close to this but ARMA really takes it to the next level.

Those screenies (OP) are sweet. It's like that bit in Oblivion: Knights of the Nine when you get transported up into heaven and get to see all of Cyrodill spread out in front of you.

Those screenies (OP) are sweet. It's like that bit in Oblivion: Knights of the Nine when you get transported up into heaven and get to see all of Cyrodill spread out in front of you.

Too true. Ah Oblivion. smile_o.gif

Great shots. By the time 1.06 arrives i can replay the whole game again just for the views!

what i wonder if this view distance bug that's gonna be fixed will have any effect on a feature that bugs me most in ArmA.

that is, that if I push RMB to look more closely or i look down my scope or crosshair, all trees and stuff are being retextured. they tend to get bigger/smaller with each zoom in/out. i guess this has to do something with view distance so i wonder if this bugfix will fix that too?

what i wonder if this view distance bug that's gonna be fixed will have any effect on a feature that bugs me most in ArmA.

that is, that if I push RMB to look more closely or i look down my scope or crosshair, all trees and stuff are being retextured. they tend to get bigger/smaller with each zoom in/out. i guess this has to do something with view distance so i wonder if this bugfix will fix that too?

i agree and i hope so..

hope BIS fix this if this is called a bug.

I think its a way to save some FPS when zooming.. (maybe not)But its quite annoying

Bart thats just your settings, a high spec machine running objects and textures at very high never see's these lods issues.

Fracry etc also has the same LOD issue. Zoon in and see stuff load basically and retexture.

I don't think this modification will be useful for my low-end machine. If I set VD more than 1000, My arma will be a slide...

banghead.gif

Hehe, nice bombrun in Stukastyle

I tried the airtrip myself because my rig specs are as good as identical.

I had 20-30 fps with VD 6km, everything on normal except postproces effects (on low). It's playable most of the time, just a few hicups in the beginning

I can see far with these settings but jeez... not that far is in that video, I have a lot more fog with 6km VD.