Sign in to follow this  
mailor

Fences

Is there any chance that someday there will be an option to pass over obstacles like 50cm high fences or 10 cm high brick walls?

I mean, come on: In a reality-based game these things should be possible...

Just a suggestion.

Is there any chance that someday there will be an option to pass over obstacles like 50cm high fences or 10 cm high brick walls?

I mean, come on: In a reality-based game these things should be possible...

Just a suggestion.

i agree, and may i suggest a climbing system similar to Hidden & Dangerous 2?

just don't implement jumping, that's the most retarded thing ever included in tactical shooters.

about this matter.. some days ago in a mission while in my m113 and i going to pass over/trough a wood fence.. i was pissed of cause the m113 couldn't pass over a wood fence.

nice bug smile_o.gif

just don't implement jumping, that's the most retarded thing ever included in tactical shooters.

And it's hardly realistic - have you ever tried to jump while aiming an M4? I mean, jumping as seen in FPS games is quite impossible, I think... At least with a rifle and some 30 kg of gear on your back.

i think jumping could be implemented if it was not ott (e.g you shouldnt be able to shoot while doing it or use it to dodge bullets). this would work well with being able to walk on vehicles if that was sorted. it shouldn't be a leap, just a "hop" to get over fences e.t.c and should be affected by weight of gear (no jumping 10ft in the air with a stinger).

Yeah I agree, you can hardly jump 10 foot in the air with a bergan on your back and a weapon in your hand.

Perhaps if some of the squad covered you while you put on leg up on the wall and then climb over though would be a nice touch. Because I'm sure the British Army don't go 10 miles down the road because of a 10cm wall :P

Jumping should be allowed, just not counter-strike bunny hopping.

You have legs, and you're supposed to be an athletic trained man. Leaping over a small obstacle doesn't seem sci-fi to me.

See, military obstacle race is all about jumping, passing over fences and crawling...

Actually I played a mission where small jumps were possible (scripted action), and it didn't feel unrealistic at all, on the contrary... Can't remember the name of that mission, though.

I think I'll implement it in all my next missions...

Edit : note that being scripted and only accessible through middle mouse button action menu, there's no risk of overuse. You just use it sparesely when faced with said obstacle...

Quote[/b] ]I'm sure the British Army don't go 10 miles down the road because of a 10cm wall

Well, we just call up our engineers to blow up the 10cm high wall while the rest of the section make a brew.

may i suggest a climbing system similar to Hidden & Dangerous 2?

I agree the Hidden and dangerous method worked well. And would make a nice touch considering im getting a bit annoyed with walking round obstacles all the time. As for jumping I dont think its really necesary it should be made that you can only jump while next to obstacles.

I've never really jumped anything in even a modest amount of gear.

Boots, webbing belts, pack, rifle.

Climbing or rather clambering yes.

If I say any lame ass bunny hopping in multiplayer this game goes in the bin.

may i suggest a climbing system similar to Hidden & Dangerous 2?

I agree the Hidden and dangerous method worked well. And would make a nice touch considering im getting a bit annoyed with walking round obstacles all the time. As for jumping I dont think its really necesary it should be made that you can only jump while next to obstacles.

agreed. Call of Duty 2 also had a good system which would work well in ArmA: when you're close to an obstacle, an icon appears. if you chose to press the action button, you climb over the obstacle, enter the window, whatever.

ArmA already has that kind of interaction, for example with searching an enemy body or entering a vehicle. it works the same way, so it could be easily adapted to obstacles.

And it's hardly realistic - have you ever tried to jump while aiming an M4? I mean, jumping as seen in FPS games is quite impossible, I think... At least with a rifle and some 30 kg of gear on your back.

I been running obstacle course with combat gear (15 kg, no bodyarmor)... Ropes, crossing nets, hopping over 1-1.5 meter walls etc.. Only thing that i couldn't get over was Pole-obstacle in about 2 meters height: I could hop to it and pull my self up... But combatbelt's big frontal pockets didn't allow me to get on that pole (there wasn't a wall, only that pole and so i couldn't use my feet at all), that was only obstance that i couldn't cross. So i don't see reason why even 1 meter high obstacle should be immpossible in ArmA. Run towards it and put your hands on it and jump... Rest is about controling your body (not stumbling to your gun, and you raise your feets across that wall). No matter how ArmA presents it, jumping or climbing, but it is possible IRL and would be good feature in ArmA too... Just today i had issues with that too good collosiondetection sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]agreed. Call of Duty 2 also had a good system which would work well in ArmA: when you're close to an obstacle, an icon appears. if you chose to press the action button, you climb over the obstacle, enter the window, whatever.

ArmA already has that kind of interaction, for example with searching an enemy body or entering a vehicle. it works the same way, so it could be easily adapted to obstacles.

That sounds good system... But is it possible in ArmA? I don't know...

Soldner had a decent system too - You could climb over low fences, or even climb up to roofs of low houses (great for sniping). Given that Soldner and Arma are very similar, I wouldn't think this would be too hard to code except for making the climbing animation.

Jumping/climbing would be great additions if you had to unready (dbl ctrl) your weapon first. This would prevent people trying to bunny hop bullets at short range.

jumping in ArmA huh.gif

please not.

Climbing over fences ok...but heck no jumping confused_o.gif

I mean, climbing over a fence like: go to the fence -> action "climb over it" and if you do so, you climb over the fence.

Guest Ti0n3r
It's been allready announced for an upcoming patch by BIS smile_o.gif

Has it been announced as in "New features in v1.05" or are you referring to the old interviews where they talked about it? smile_o.gif

The problem is, I can't remember sad_o.gif Or else I've put that in my previous post, it's just that I've read an interview saying they where going to implement an option to get over small obstacles, and it's an interview from a while back so I HOPE it's for 1.05 but I don't KNOW that

In 1.04 one can walk over short obstacles, like the short brick walls. I guess owners of the cz/de versions get to wait for 1.05, but I imagine it will be there too wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just hope the Itweas Ninja unit makes a comeback in ArmA!

could he jump properly?

Quote[/b] ]Jumping/climbing would be great additions if you had to unready (dbl ctrl) your weapon first. This would prevent people trying to bunny hop bullets at short range.

good idea-this means only people who arent in combat can really use it. it would have to have weight restrictions though(only jump with small amount of equipment). I think there should be two seperate actions for jumping or climbing but yo should be able to map them to one key. this would mean that lightly equipped people could jump or climb(in weapon unready mode) and more heavily equipped ones could only climb. another way the jump could be made more realistic is by only giving the player a small amount of control while in the air-this should make it so it is actually worse for you if you are being shot at as you would be a big target.

another thing which would go well with the jump/climb would be the ability to walk on vehicles (obviously not a flying helicopter or jet)

In MP demo, I climbed the scaffolding to snipe from the roof, but when it was time to get back down, the 1 foot lip of the roof trapped me up there. CS jumping may be unrealistic, but this is MORE unrealistic. I don't care if it's a tiny jump, shimmey-up, whatever, you can't realistically have tiny walls trap you. Encumberance should effect height of move as well as fatigue and definitly disabled weapon.

6th Sense put a script in to make the player jump and it seemed to work well in their missions, but many sources like you say point to this being included in the much anticipated 1.05 patch smile_o.gif