Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

NIM Dynamic Weather

Quote[/b] ]Changing ground textures due to the weather would be cool in ArmA, but I can't see it happeneing. On the other hand there's nothing to stop a little creativity from the mission designer. Have snow getting gradually heavier in one mission and by the time your unit "wakes the following morning", the next mission is taking place on a snow version of the island.

maybe there could be different versions of the island like you suggest but it might be possible to "teleport" everything over (obviously it would need some kind of transition otherwise it would look weird). this would require some recoding but not as much. just a kind of trigger to start the transition-this would also allow area specific ground effects. in the world mod there could be a few separate models of the earth, one for each time of year (e.g season/month(if possible)) an some kind of transition to smooth it out. if there was a version for each month you would hardly ever notice the transition anyway because

1:it would have to be on top of the join between months-(i doubt a lot of missions would last this long)

and

2:some places wouldn't have to look much different anyway(e.g the sahara desert wouldn't change much).

Hi !

First of all, I must say that this addon is really wonderful. It makes mission a bit more immersive.

There is still some room for improvements:

- an error message appears when I launch an editor mission containing only a season game logic. It says, roughly :

invalid number of arguments in script NIM_CloudSystem

Sorry, I don't have a screenshot or the exact syntax. Might look further into it.

[EDIT] As I said, I looked further into it. In NIM_SeasonalSetting.sqs, change

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[_this,0,1,true,[8,[0,2]]] exec {\NIM_Weather\NIM_CloudSystem.sqs}

with

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[_this,0,1,true,[8,[0,2]]] exec "\NIM_Weather\NIM_CloudSystem.sqs"

- with only rain clouds, I sometime get an incredible amount of thunder, like one very other second... With Thunder clouds, I get even less, but still too much. Is it possible, and where can I reduce the probability or frequency for thunder ?

[EDIT] I added a random delay in the thunder loop.

- fog pops out of nowhere, as if there was a 'fog-factory' somewhere. Might need some improvement.

[EDIT] After a second look, I could not reproduce that, now I have a nice looking fog, don't know why.

Otherwise, everything runs perfect !

Thank you for this great addition, keep up the good work.

Malick

Hi everyone, can someone explain to me what editing tools are. Are they made my BI and does it mean anyone can make mods in an easy way?

Thanks

good job on finding it malik,

on previous page this error was pointed out by keycat .

unfortunately anyone who was working on this conversion are all busy .

maybe you can post a little diagram here so people can see how you depbo and alter that line smile_o.gif ?

once agin sorry i missed it i got the other 200 or so. wink_o.gif

Hi Folx!

Pretty nice Addon...i like it! ;-)

I debugged the Script Error by myself, but i got a problem in multiplayer using a non dedicated Server.

Everybhody gets the weather effects, except the host-player!

Argh! Can you help me? Or somebody just tell me what to do...i can do a little scrippting, debugging, etc. myself.

thx in advance

Pulpi

1- find a pbo tool (UnPbo / MakePbo will work fine)

2- depbo the file NIM_Weather.pbo with UnPbo

3- open the script NIM_SeasonalSettings.sqs

4- find the 4 lines that contain NIM_CloudSystem.sqs

5- replace the {} with ""

6- save

7- repbo the whole file with MakePbo

8- play !

May give a bit more precision on request, but that's really simple.

Hope this could help some of you !

Malick

Quote[/b] ]Hi Folx!

I debugged the Script Error by myself, but i got a problem in multiplayer using a non dedicated Server.

Argh! Can you help me? Or somebody just tell me what to do...i can do a little scrippting, debugging, etc. myself.

thx in advance

Pulpi

hmm i think sickboy was maybe making it for multiplayer none dedicated ?

anyway i think all others are busy now sorry.

malik nice description there wink_o.gif

ty.

Will look further into it soon, been on some other projects, you will probably hear about sometime soon tounge2.gif

To be continued smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hi Folx!

thx in advance

Pulpi

hmm i think sickboy was maybe making it for multiplayer none dedicated ?

anyway i think all others are busy now sorry.

malik nice description there wink_o.gif

ty.

in unPBOed it myself and extracted the script call. When you call the script via a trigger it works for the host, too ;-)

you see colaberation at its best ;0

who is next to volunteer to remove this type default from the config ?

i am getting an error about this and spotted that its no longer nescasary or such things in there.

wish i had more time ,maybe when al simmons is back i ask him .

Very nice and easy to use. Drag and drop into addon folder, launch editor, and it works just great.

Thank you very much.

Nice job!

Especially love the sandstorms for atmosphere/immersion.

Question, do the extreme weathers effect the AI's awareness ie. lower their 'skill setting'?

@froggyluv

Im not 100% sure if arm a has partial "blocking", this was designed for ofp, and we where toying with having invisible models that would block ai.

You would need to do some testing, or another way is to raise the fog slider in the editor to compensate the ai view problem

Glad you are all having fun with it!

Nick

sorry if i dig up old stuff

you cant change ground textures thats true

but you can still spawn models smile_o.gif

think of that biggrin_o.gif

hey guys how do I use the different weathers via triggers?

Ipart of ym mission requires a climb to the top of a mountain and I really want your windy/snowy effects to play when were about 1/4 way up but I want clear sunny weather when we get down again.

how do i do this?

Quote[/b] ]hey guys how do I use the different weathers via triggers?

Ipart of ym mission requires a climb to the top of a mountain and I really want your windy/snowy effects to play when were about 1/4 way up but I want clear sunny weather when we get down again.

how do i do this?

You can do this with trigger: Set trigger condition to match what you want, radius and side or group. Then type following code to on Activation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">weatherEffect = <weatherEffectType> createvehicle [0,0,0]

<weatherEffectType> is name of game logic that enables the effect you desire. For your purpose <weatherEffectType> is "NIM_Blizzard2". In the deactivation field type:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle weatherEffect

To make the transition smoother you can use another trigger with bigger radius. Then the codes are:

On activation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">transitionEffect = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

and deactivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle transitionEffect

I'm not sure if the effects affects on each other. That why you should change the first trigger to have following codes:

onActivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">weatherEffect = <weatherEffectType> createvehicle [0,0,0]; deletevehicle transitionEffect

deActivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle weatherEffect; transitionEffect = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

If you have more than one areas of effects use index numbers after the names:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">transitionEffect1 = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

I hope you get something out of that tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]hey guys how do I use the different weathers via triggers?

how do i do this?

You can do this with trigger: Set trigger condition to match what you want, radius and side or group. Then type following code to on Activation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">weatherEffect = <weatherEffectType> createvehicle [0,0,0]

<weatherEffectType> is name of game logic that enables the effect you desire. For your purpose <weatherEffectType> is "NIM_Blizzard2". In the deactivation field type:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle weatherEffect

To make the transition smoother you can use another trigger with bigger radius. Then the codes are:

On activation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">transitionEffect = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

and deactivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle transitionEffect

I'm not sure if the effects affects on each other. That why you should change the first trigger to have following codes:

onActivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">weatherEffect = <weatherEffectType> createvehicle [0,0,0]; deletevehicle transitionEffect

deActivation:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">deletevehicle weatherEffect; transitionEffect = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

If you have more than one areas of effects use index numbers after the names:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">transitionEffect1 = "NIM_Snow2" createvehicle [0,0,0]

I hope you get something out of that tounge2.gif

THANK YOU!

ok tried this just now and it works but when i move out of the trigger the blizzard remains. i just want the blizzard to happen nearer the top of the mountain so i put a rectangle trigger that fits nicely and moved up the mountain and the blizzard started just at the point i wanted it to but when i sprinted down the other side of the mountain and OUT of the trigger radius, the blizzard did not stop. how do i get it to stop?

you really need this?

i'll get back to here tomorrow, its a bit tricky to get this work the way you like so you're really up for this? I'll get the workaround for you if you're up to this.

Yes, beer please.

PS. there should be alcometer around here to prevent posts like this crazy_o.gif

Well i just tryed this and i have some questions:

I'm looking for random weather but only thing i need is Sunshine, Clouds, Rain, Thunder ( Pretty nice and pretty ugly weather )

But so far i couldn't find it i tryed NIM Dynamic Weather Summer but what the hell does this white fogy clouds do all over the place? crazy_o.gif

So what do i have to choose to get a Dynamic Weather mix from blue Sunny Sky to Rain and Thunder and this all over the time?

Sunshine, blue Sky 10 min later Rain 5 min. later again Sunshine and a little cloudy then 15 min. later Thunder then 10 min. later again blue Sky and Sunshine smile_o.gif

This would be the best mix for me.

Edit: Well just tested some more and now Dynamic Weather Summer is my favorite. smile_o.gif

Good work!