Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

NIM Dynamic Weather

Thanks for the comments all!

@VictorFarbau

That sounds great, tbh we didn't really test this in MP, so if you have something that works and you can implement it then, feel free, and i shall amend the rar and add you in the readme for the credits.

I don't think anyone of us have enough time to add to this project at the mo, so we welcome anyone else who would like to add to it

Cheers

Nick

Great addon, really looks good wink_o.gif great job

Just one (a bit stupid) question: Is the weather working in SinglePlayer missions too? It would be so great. goodnight.gif

Great addon, really looks good wink_o.gif  great job

Just one (a bit stupid) question: Is the weather working in SinglePlayer missions too? It would be so great. goodnight.gif

You will have to add the gamelogics to the single player missions urself... There are some ways to go to get this automaticly working in any mission, but this needs some eventhandler edits in the main config biggrin_o.gif And possibly some other ways..

So if you use this on a map, are all players required to have it to play, or is it ignored for users who dont have it ?

required on all clients, if you don't have it you are booted out of mission.

I did hear about the possibility to embed addons into mission, but I think it was fantasy talk unfortunately sad_o.gif

There could be made a light version...

things that should be missing then is:

- Leaves

- Lightning bolt

- Rainbow

Without those features, the nim weather could be converted to mission scripts.

Hmm the Lightning bolt is decent can that not be made into it or does the need for modded/extra materials become necessary?

The lightning bolt is a p3d model inside the addon, which is not usable from within a mission, at this moment in time.

Hence you would need the Addon.

But you could always make it check if you have the addon or not, and if you have it, it can still display the bolt etc smile_o.gif

Ok, so although a good idea, it will severely limit your servers player base, unless BIS include it in a patch if its good enough.

I ran this on a dedicated server with a map on which I just placed a nice thunderstorm. Works fine on each client; so it is MP-ready the way it is for all I can say.

But this indeed requires all players to have that addon installed; which is also not really a problem in my view since this is the very concept of addons (complex code and resources preinstalled on clients instead of huge network transfers).

To split this up and embed the scripts and resources in separate missions is certainly possible but a bit of a redundant effort in my mind.

Cheers,

Victor

just a thought.does the Nim weather mod have any effect on ground textures e.t.c. If not would it be possible to add this. it would basically involve adding code which allows textures(/models) to change depending on the type of weather.

it could, for example, replace the ground textures with muddier looking versions when it is raining. it could also be used for things like explosion effects as well.

AFAIK you cannot change objects textures dynamically like that, except for textures defined as hiddenSelection in object definition files and p3d.

Quote[/b] ]AFAIK you cannot change objects textures dynamically like that, except for textures defined as hiddenSelection in object definition files and p3d.

could the actual way the game works be edited slightly to allow this/would there be a way to get around it.this would be slightly more superficial but i thought about having the game spawn "mud patch" textures when it is raining in a similar way to the "crater" textures.

this would make the atmosphere of the game even better and probably have practical uses in game. extra, semi transparent textures could even be added to vehicles to make them look wet.

You could and can open up a huge can of worms and really developed this further if you have the resources, for now its more "semi arcady" to add some depth to flying and ground forces.

But there is no reason with shear determination that you couldn't make a fully developed, environment changing weather system!

I would be happy to say the scripts are open source, for anyone who could or wants to edit this, just give credit where its due in the read me smile_o.gif

Nick

when i get hold of ARMA i'll probably attempt this. the thing that makes it seem plausible is the similar stuff that already existed in OFP-e.g there were moving textures to give the effect of raindrops hitting the ground.

Nice work! Glad to see this ported to ArmA smile_o.gif

However I got a few error messages when starting it?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default.sectionsInherit'. Warning Message: '/' is not a value

And when selecting Spring etc. in editor I get the following error?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Error in expression <[_this,0,1,true,[8,[0,2]]] exec {\NIM_Weather\NIM_CloudSystem.sqs}>

Error position: <\NIM_Weather\NIM_CloudSystem.sqs}>

/KC

hmm not seen the first one before

second is because eithe in config or called from a script i missed changing the { for double "".

sorry biut that

did your first error come from your .rpt file or has it actually come up on screen ?

It popped up on screen but I grabbed it from RPT-file.

/KC

Quote[/b] ]AFAIK you cannot change objects textures dynamically like that, except for textures defined as hiddenSelection in object definition files and p3d.

could the actual way the game works be edited slightly to allow this/would there be a way to get around it.this would be slightly more superficial but i thought about having the game spawn "mud patch" textures when it is raining in a similar way to the "crater" textures.

this would make the atmosphere of the game even better and probably have practical uses in game. extra, semi transparent textures could even be added to vehicles to make them look wet.

Craters are 3d/2d objects, the ground textures don't change at all. Yes, technically you could make 2d objects to cover the ground but it wouldn't be very practical and would probably be more laggy than it's worth.

maybe different versions of the island could be made and they could be "swapped" somehow depending on weather conditions

P.S-this mod looks great and, if the small scale "World map" is made for ARMA it could be used to have realistic weather (e.g-snow in russia, hot and dry in deserts). obviously with the permission of the NIM weather makers and credit given.

Quote[/b] ]...e.g-snow in russia, hot and dry in deserts...

NIM weather does not support different weather conditions on different areas. The effects are always global, not local. Leaf effects makes an exception as it is very local effect.

That ofcourse if deanosbeano didn't do something magic with the system tounge2.gif.

Quote[/b] ]NIM weather does not support different weather conditions on different areas. The effects are always global, not local. Leaf effects makes an exception as it is very local effect.

but surely that would mean in the normal map you would get sandstorms in the mountains. maybe they could be made local somehow(maybe each continent for example could be made into a separate map and then joined.

Quote[/b] ]but surely that would mean in the normal map you would get sandstorms in the mountains. maybe they could be made local somehow(maybe each continent for example could be made into a separate map and then joined.

With current version all weather things are global meaning same weather conditions at every corner of a map. I now remember that also sand effects are local, and the mist is supposed to be located only on lowlands.

What you're suggesting would mean totally rewriting the scripts (that would actually be good idea if I or someone else had time). That would improve the performance and the features. At the moment such things are not under concideration. At least to my knowledge. I sure hope Smiley hasn't got such things in mind, at least in near future. icon_rolleyes.gif

In theory it's possible to have local weather conditions, even in MP. Trying to get that work might prove the theory wrong.

i suppose this would work okay with a world map-as long as the more localised weather (such as sandstorms) only appears where it should. as for the ground being affected by weather i'll probably concentrate on trying to make the world map idea instead.

Changing ground textures due to the weather would be cool in ArmA, but I can't see it happeneing. On the other hand there's nothing to stop a little creativity from the mission designer. Have snow getting gradually heavier in one mission and by the time your unit "wakes the following morning", the next mission is taking place on a snow version of the island.

You could simulate a large scale nuclear war in a similar fashion. smile_o.gif